Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury

Mountain Lion Attack, Colorado.

This attack happened on my local trails. A runner was attacked by a Mountain Lion and he managed to fight it off and kill it. They havenít released how he killed it but have said it was a juvenile lion. Most attacks on humans are young male cats. Should be interesting when they release how he did killed it.

https://www.kktv.com/content/news/Ma...505333641.html

Mountain Lion Attack, Colorado.-ff366ed1-0c1e-4984-a325-502e88bf388b.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Watching the late news tonight they gave more details. He managed to fight the lion off without a weapon. They didnít say how he killed it but I imagine he strangled it to death.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Moderator Moderator
    That is crazy! Hard to believe actually, it's pretty hard to choke a human into submission, let alone a wild animal with claws and teeth. But you know Jackie Moon can fight bears!

mtbr member
    Having come face to face with a large mountain lion in the early AM, I can and canít imagine the intensity of his experience. While I would love to know how he killed it, I am not surprised he did. The intensity of what I felt just standing face to face with one was the largest dose of adrenaline imaginable. To put it in perspective, I have been stuck with multiple epi pens at once before, as well as had epinephrine intravenously administered. (shellfish anaphylaxis).
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickiní sweet!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Holy shit. This is something we never even begin to think of on the East Coast. I cannot imagine the primal fear experienced when seeing one in the wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still havenít released how he managed to kill it with his bare hands. Most lion attacks happen from behind. Pretty hard to fight the cat off in that position and the cat goes right for the head and neck. Pretty quick youíd be incapacitated. This victim heard a noise and turned around and thatís when the attack happened. A more face to face encounter could give more of a fighting chance. If the victim was tall and fit enough the lion young and not as powerful he could hold him out far enough from his body to strangle the cat. Thatís the only way I can figure out how any human could fight off and kill a mountain lion without a weapon. He is an extremely lucky man to come to have pulled this off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Most attacks on humans are young male cats.
    I see this repeated often. Just curious, but can you point me to the data that shows this to be true? I'd like to check it out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    There are very few documented attacks. Go to the Google and do some research and see if you can prove / disprove his statement.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    There are very few documented attacks. Go to the Google and do some research and see if you can prove / disprove his statement.
    Funny, I didn't make the claim, but I have to prove/disprove it? Weird. That said, I've looked and can't seem find it. I see it repeated often and can't find the data/source for the claim.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Still havenít released how he managed to kill it with his bare hands. Most lion attacks happen from behind. Pretty hard to fight the cat off in that position and the cat goes right for the head and neck. Pretty quick youíd be incapacitated. This victim heard a noise and turned around and thatís when the attack happened. A more face to face encounter could give more of a fighting chance. If the victim was tall and fit enough the lion young and not as powerful he could hold him out far enough from his body to strangle the cat. Thatís the only way I can figure out how any human could fight off and kill a mountain lion without a weapon. He is an extremely lucky man to come to have pulled this off.
    YES!!!! Need more info. It would be very hard unless he's John Rambo or Chuck Norris.

Maybe a knife or a rock.

Anyway, more info/links on this story please since it's the first I've heard of its kind.
    IPA will save America

More Torque

Suffocated the cat to death, according to the article.
    Qualifies him for a non-revocable street cred card.
    -D

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~ View Post
    Suffocated the cat to death, according to the article.
    Qualifies him for a non-revocable street cred card.
    -D
    John 'chuck norris' Rambo
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This may not be the hard data you are asking for, but this is what I understand based on my reading about mountain lions. Adult males mountain lions each command a large area of territory (100 square miles) and do not tolerate other males within their territory. Thus, when a juvenile male cat matures and leaves his mother (after 1.5-2yrs), he has to seek out unoccupied territory. There is not a lot of available territory, and thus juvenile males are more likely to be hungry or desperate for food, and then more prone to seeking non-traditional food sources. They often have to go very large distances in search of territory. What I've read is that pretty much anywhere you see deer (mountain lion's primary food), you can be sure there is a mountain lion that is claiming that area.

Quote Originally Posted by joshtee View Post
    I see this repeated often. Just curious, but can you point me to the data that shows this to be true? I'd like to check it out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Funny, I didn't make the claim, but I have to prove/disprove it? Weird. That said, I've looked and can't seem find it. I see it repeated often and can't find the data/source for the claim.
    I tried to prove it to - and it doesn't look easy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America

Clicking into the support articles they may or may not list the gender of the cat. There aren't that many so it's easy enough (time consuming) for someone to put together all that information and I am sure someone has, but, I didn't find it easily.

Hella Olde
    Carrying a knife makes me feel better, but the odds are in the lion's favor, I'd say. Still, i'm not going down without a fight. I just live with the odd looks from some ppl.

This might be the only instance where it wouldn't be morally bankrupt to keep a big-game trophy head.

Hella Olde
    oops

Moderator Moderator
    When you type Bad Ass into Wikipedia, this guy's photo will be coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    I tried to prove it to - and it doesn't look easy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America

Clicking into the support articles they may or may not list the gender of the cat. There aren't that many so it's easy enough (time consuming) for someone to put together all that information and I am sure someone has, but, I didn't find it easily.
    Young lions / inexperienced lions / young males being the most common in attacking humans. Itís a teenage thing. Confused on proper prey items instead of avoiding humans.

Moderator Moderator

Hold the press, a picture of the mountain lion just emerged.....oh wait thatís the one I fought off!

Mountain Lion Attack, Colorado.-cu2x6z7.jpg

Update: I was right in my suffocation theory. The latest on this story here. I should just walk into the hospital and interview him myself.

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/05/69152...n-self-defense

^Newest info. strangulation and the cat was 80lbs.

Do you think in 20 years when heís telling his grandchildren he killed a mountain lion with his bare hands, itís going to still weigh 80lb cat?

mtbr member
    80lb is impressive enough.

I don't understand the 100 square mile territory thing. Seems like if you were a big cat you'd have to try pretty hard to know there was another cat in 100 square miles, much less find it and tell it off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Good Story, DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    80lb is impressive enough.

I don't understand the 100 square mile territory thing. Seems like if you were a big cat you'd have to try pretty hard to know there was another cat in 100 square miles, much less find it and tell it off.
    Sense of smell, they spray and mark the borders of their territory.

Update: The latest, not much more news but a much better written description of what is known. A necropsy this morning determined suffocation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.60b410d5add4

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Dude needs to capitalize on this big time...Good Morning America, book, book tour, Mountain Lion Martial Arts Academy, hiker/biker custom mountain lion suffocation packs, paid speaking at outdoor events...

Quote Originally Posted by murlsquirl View Post
    Dude needs to capitalize on this big time...Good Morning America, book, book tour, Mountain Lion Martial Arts Academy, hiker/biker custom mountain lion suffocation packs, paid speaking at outdoor events...
    Silent ear buds.

Hella Olde
    Update: The latest, not much more news but a much better written description of what is known. A necropsy this morning determined suffocation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.60b410d5add4

Democracy dies in darkness.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Wow. Strangulation?

Still seems improbable.

Glad the guy survived though. Pretty sure I would have died from an abnormal bowel movement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NRP View Post
    Wow. Strangulation?

Still seems improbable.
    Without having a weapon, I'd say getting your hands around its throat and choking it would be your best bet. All while it's scratching the shit out of you... but if it's between that and being kitty chow, you do what you can.

Now if the cat had been older/heavier/smarter (120 lbs), the outcome probably would have been different.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Holy chit.

My house cats jacks me up when I try to put flea meds on her. Strangling a wild big cat is crazy. He had to have strangled it from behind. I canít see him doing that Hollywood move where heís face to face and fingers around the cats neck. A cats rear claws would eviscerate him.

I would love to hear more.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Most attacks on humans are young male cats.

I hate to toot my own horn but. I was right in the strangulation theory and I was also right on the fact that it was a young male lion.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47136308

Just because this photo is amazing Iíll add it in here to distract you from my gloating.

Mountain Lion Attack, Colorado.-60cee10b-1af6-4f73-be0a-da7c81bc506e.jpeg

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregd72 View Post
    Without having a weapon, I'd say getting your hands around its throat and choking it would be your best bet. All while it's scratching the shit out of you... but if it's between that and being kitty chow, you do what you can.

Now if the cat had been older/heavier/smarter (120 lbs), the outcome probably would have been different.
    Doubt he used his hands (but I've used up my free WashPost access already - couldn't read the latest article) - seems like a Sleeper-type hold would be your only hope.

Moderator Moderator

Iím sure he used some form of locking choke and his weight to suffocate the lion. Iím thinking this guy is probably trained in JiuJitsu, Judo or some form of grappling. To do that to a pissed off lion is beyond belief. Some skill and a lot of luck involved here.

Itís getting deep in here boys. Iím thinking he was a mere mortal with luck on his side.

mtbr member
    Yes, this an amazing story, and the guy is a certified bad ass, but...

Why is this in the NorCal Forum?
    Veni vidi velo!

Moderator Moderator
    Itís getting deep in here boys. Iím thinking he was a mere mortal with luck on his side.
    Let's see. I'm betting he's a BJJ/Judo guy, also with A LOT of luck on his side. Either way, it's going to be a crazy story when he tells it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Once his identity gets out, every two fisted redneck in his town will want to buy him a beer, and then sucker punch him for the glory.
    I hope he DOES have some kinda training.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    Once his identity gets out, every two fisted redneck in his town will want to buy him a beer, and then sucker punch him for the glory.
    I hope he DOES have some kinda training.
    The bar conversation: What did you do this weekend? A grueling mountain bike ride, how about you?....Well, I choked a f*cking mountain lion to death with my bare hands.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post

You act like none of us NorCal'ers have also strangled a big cat to death with our bare hands. Have you yet? If not, how'd you get in here? I thought that was part of the initiation rites before being able to see the NorCal forum?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    You act like none of us NorCal'ers have also strangled a big cat to death with our bare hands. Have you yet? If not, how'd you get in here? I thought that was part of the initiation rites before being able to see the NorCal forum?
    Dude, I told you not to disclose our secret NorCal initiation rituals. Now we're going to have to switch to choking different animals like bears.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Can't say that I have, but I have poached a few cougars around some North Beach watering holes.
    Veni vidi velo!

Freezer
    Can't say that I have, but I have poached a few cougars around some North Beach watering holes.
    The Balboa was always a target rich environment.
    Pivot Mach 5.5
    Yeti SB4.5

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    No way. That dude is obviously a master grappler. Possibly a masta blasta grappler.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    That kind of cougar is by FAR the most dangerous.

But wait thereís more:

Update:https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/05/us/co...ion/index.html

Less than a year old. It was a mountain lion adolescent just past being a cub at less than 80lbs.

The victim choked him to death as I stated was my guess from the get go. Also, did I not say it was a young male mountain lion? Donít doubt what I say when it comes to nature. Otherwise doubt some but very little,

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/05/us/co...ion/index.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    That's it, then, DJ. I bow to you as the all-knowing one for all things mountain lion!

mtbr member
    The news said that the lion attacked from behind biting his neck. It also said that he was able to get his hands around the critter's neck and strangled it.

Having had a face off with a stalking lion on the Cache Creek Ridge Trail, I would say that adrenaline kicks in big time and you do what you have to do and it ends up as it ends up. Now, I use a cowbell much maligned by fellow riders to warn bears and lions that I'm coming and I carry bear spray. Wouldn't do much if attacked from behind.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

Moderator Moderator
    DJ, I will never doubt your expertise on lion strangling again.

^

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    The news said that the lion attacked from behind biting his neck. It also said that he was able to get his hands around the critter's neck and strangled it.

Having had a face off with a stalking lion on the Cache Creek Ridge Trail, I would say that adrenaline kicks in big time and you do what you have to do and it ends up as it ends up. Now, I use a cowbell much maligned by fellow riders to warn bears and lions that I'm coming and I carry bear spray. Wouldn't do much if attacked from behind.
    It was a face to face encounter, the latest finally details it. He used a rock first and then strangled it in a last ditch effort to live. The cat was relentless and kept coming at him.

https://gazette.com/news/colorado-ru...2368c3e50.html

Mountain Lion Attack, Colorado.-060b57d9-d7e3-45bf-b5ab-5cb5b0bfaf71.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    ..But wait! Still, the controversial story rages on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Iím shocked and impressed.

I suspect I would be a cat turd if it happened to me.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

NedwannaB
    Or,.....you could just read all the same stuff DJ is quoting from over on the CO Front Range forum. 😬
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Carrying a knife makes me feel better, but the odds are in the lion's favor, I'd say. Still, i'm not going down without a fight. I just live with the odd looks from some ppl.

This might be the only instance where it wouldn't be morally bankrupt to keep a big-game trophy head.
    When I ride the ebike I don't mind carrying extra weight so I'll bring all the knives.... On sec Mr. Mountain Lion while I open these open these up and prepare to battle.

Mountain Lion Attack, Colorado.-y1uvlsm.jpg
    Mountain Lion Attack, Colorado.-sdwvity.jpg

Joking not joking aside, I spend a lot of time alone in mountain lion/bear habitat and I may or may not work out attack scenarios in my head and how I can best defend myself with sticks, rocks, ballpoint pens and a clipboard.

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Or,.....you could just read all the same stuff DJ is quoting from over on the CO Front Range forum. 
    All Iíve done is copied some of my own posts from thread to thread. Is there a law against that? Saves on typing the same stuff over and over.

Moderator Moderator
    Or,.....you could just read all the same stuff DJ is quoting from over on the CO Front Range forum.
    Thereís a CO forum??

Mountain Lion Attack, Colorado.-rkkfpvk.jpg

NedwannaB
    Thereís a CO forum??
    Yeah, two I think!😒

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Or,.....you could just read all the same stuff DJ is quoting from over on the CO Front Range forum. 😬
    DJ ain't stopping there. Check out HK , another website.
    He's ON this!

I think we gotta remember that this guy choked a cat that was barely into adolescence,
    in other words, just a tad more than a ML. cub. About the equivalent of an 11 year old boy. And even then, he STILL had to be hospitalized.
    That big kitten tore him up.

Moderator Moderator
    DJ ain't stopping there. Check out HK , another website.
    He's ON this!

I think we gotta remember that this guy choked a cat that was barely into adolescence,
    in other words, just a tad more than a ML. cub. About the equivalent of an 11 year old boy. And even then, he STILL had to be hospitalized.
    That big kitten tore him up.
    Well, this thing was still an 80lb apex predator with razor sharp claws and teeth. I can't even imagine choking a mean ass Pitbull to death, which would be a kitten compared to this thing. A full grown 200lb lion would have shredded him in seconds.

^ Iím on it.

Well, this thing was still an 80lb apex predator with razor sharp claws and teeth. I can't even imagine choking a mean ass Pitbull to death, which would be a kitten compared to this thing. A full grown 200lb lion would have shredded him in seconds.
    Letís just take a domestic house cat and multiply it by 10 and then add in a badass temperament. Bingo, weíve got an 80lb adolescent Mountain Lion. I wouldnít even want to take on a regular size domestic house cat with that type of temperament.

Reminds of an experience years ago. I was out in the back of my work in a storage pen diggingg around through old boxes. I moved a stack of boxes and there were 4 baby kittens. Wild kittens that I often saw the parents of wandering around. Dumb me, awe little kittens. I reached my hand out and one of them launched 3í up and latched on to my arm. Arms wrapped around and claws digging in, meanwhile heís biting the shit out me. I flung my arm around and finally broke him free, he went flying. A smalll ball of snarling growling hissing badass little wild cat. My company had to hire a company to come out and trap the litter and the parents to make sure he didnít have rabies, which they did and I was lucky that they didnít. But, just that cute little kitten gave me respect for the power and agility of the feline group.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    80 lb adolescent cougar or not, that is still an incredible story of luck, bravery, skill, bowel control, etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NRP View Post
    80 lb adolescent cougar or not, that is still an incredible story of luck, bravery, skill, bowel control, etc.
    Well as far as I know we don't really have any confirmation about the bowel control part. Could be there were different aspects to the "clean up" needed after the incident.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregd72 View Post
    Well as far as I know we don't really have any confirmation about the bowel control part. Could be there were different aspects to the "clean up" needed after the incident.
    What's really amazing about this story is he not only fought back, but counter attacked and killed the lion. This is a very rare characteristic. 99% of the population, when attacked by animal or another person, will surrender or at best try to run away. Will be interesting to find out more about him.

NedwannaB
    Thereís a CO forum??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RkkfpVk.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	1237038
    Exactly my thoughts! I forget the name of that move.....

NedwannaB
    Hah. Too funny $0.50. I was formulating this same comparison scenario to post while surfing down the new comments.

NedwannaB
    All Iíve done is copied some of my own posts from thread to thread. Is there a law against that? Saves on typing the same stuff over and over.
    There was no diss'n you DJ. I was merely touting my savy interwebbing prowess! 😀

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    Holy shit. This is something we never even begin to think of on the East Coast. I cannot imagine the primal fear experienced when seeing one in the wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure youíre qualified to speak on behalf of the entire geographic region which composes the east coast. We certainly have them in various places up north... a reality I am especially aware of while hiking of biking on trails lined with thick rhododendron.

ďOfficiallyĒ Easter cougars have been declared extinct, in reality there are mountain lions here, as evident by footage Iíve seen on friendsí trail cams in both upstate New York and northern, eastern, and central Pennsylvaniaó and NO these were certainly not bobcat (Iím not sure how people even make that mistake honestly). Whether or not these are genetically Eastern Mountain Lions, I do not know, but there are Mountain lions in the east whether from some remnant eastern population, escapee/migrant South American population, or escapee/migrant western population.
    Last edited by Shartist; 1 Week Ago at 03:31 PM. Reason: Forgot to include quote I was relying to.

NedwannaB
    I realize I'm adding to this, with friendly banter of course, but there is 3 times as many posts about this incident on here than over in the DJ's thread in the CO forum. Not sure what that means tho....😳

Moderator Moderator
    Exactly my thoughts! I forget the name of that move.....
    It has a goofy name in MMA parlance, itís called a rear naked choke.

Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 1 Week Ago at 04:29 PM.

Up In Smoke
    https://www.kion546.com/news/woman-s...y-2/1003084748

Mountain Lion in Monterey! Hard to make it out in the video. I don't know if the lady really intended to scare off this big cat or was just lucky it scurried off. The scary thing is this is about a block away from my house and that cat wondered a long way into the concrete jungle. I guess having a vocal dog isn't always a bad thing.

There was no diss'n you DJ. I was merely touting my savy interwebbing prowess! 😀
    Youíve got the power.

I realize I'm adding to this, with friendly banter of course, but there is 3 times as many posts about this incident on here than over in the DJ's thread in the CO forum. Not sure what that means tho....😳
    It means I went off the cliff with this topic. Sorry I always do with mountain lion stories. The fact that this one happened local to me may have paid a bigger part in it. If itís any conciliation Iíll be seeking therapy about my mountain lion obsession soon.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartist View Post
    Not sure youíre qualified to speak on behalf of the entire geographic region which composes the east coast.
    Given your username, I am inclined to believe you may indeed have seen a mountain lion (or bobcat).

Flat Pluto Society

Jirt Dunkie has soooo much time on his hands, the forums where he usually posts started smoking from overposting.

Flat Pluto Society
    Not sure youíre qualified to speak on behalf of the entire geographic region which composes the east coast. We certainly have them in various places up north... a reality I am especially aware of while hiking of biking on trails lined with thick rhododendron.

ďOfficiallyĒ Easter cougars have been declared extinct, in reality there are mountain lions here, as evident by footage Iíve seen on friendsí trail cams in both upstate New York and northern, eastern, and central Pennsylvaniaó and NO these were certainly not bobcat (Iím not sure how people even make that mistake honestly). Whether or not these are genetically Eastern Mountain Lions, I do not know, but there are Mountain lions in the east whether from some remnant eastern population, escapee/migrant South American population, or escapee/migrant western population.
    "Easter cougars"?? Do they carry baskets full of gaily-colored eggs?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    "Easter cougars"?? Do they carry baskets full of gaily-colored eggs?
    Mountain Lion Attack, Colorado.-screen-shot-2019-02-06-6.25.30-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 6.25.30 PM.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	1237085
    Yes and yes, this exactly.

Sighted most often in spring guarding their clutch of eggs the deliciousness of which is widely accepted as being the primary reason for the over-hunting that lead to their extirpation.
    18í SC Bronson Carbon
    Grip2, Reserve 27 hoops, i9 hubs, Float X2

2018 SC V10.6
    Grip2, We Are One: The Outlier, i9 hubs, DHX2

And just for reference on how big an 80lb. Mountain Lion looks like. Iíd say this victim may have been Chuck Norris after all.

Mountain Lion Attack, Colorado.-15df2995-a1e7-41fd-ba4f-6e4b18a0bf0e.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    Yes and yes, this exactly.

Sighted most often in spring guarding their clutch of eggs the deliciousness of which is widely accepted as being the primary reason for the over-hunting that lead to their extirpation.
    Extirpation, now that's a word you don't hear everyday!

mtbr member
    These work awesomely Mountain Lion Attack, Colorado.-fa74790a-91ed-4f1e-8885-86f248fe55ab.jpeg

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    These work awesomely Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FA74790A-91ED-4F1E-8885-86F248FE55AB.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	1237093
    Mountain Lion Attack, Colorado.-42fd7a1f3181e87c1a3c1d0599b05f23d3fbcb0f9d49eebfba2b878beda2cbcb.jpg

used to be RipRoar
    perhaps...just perhaps it was a trachea crush....not the whole neck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Apparently cougar "wrastlin" is a thing now.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...s-young-cougar

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    here in Idaho our ladies do this for fun..
    https://www.khq.com/regional/idaho-w...a8c7c0d1d.html

Uncle

Name:	60CEE10B-1AF6-4F73-BE0A-DA7C81BC506E.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	782.0 KB 
ID:	1236891
    Call the fire department.

The latest update in this tangled web of reporting:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/mountain-...-officials-say

Mountain Lion Attack, Colorado.-ef94df52-5b12-41f9-a75b-daf3492773cc.jpg

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    When I ride the ebike I don't mind carrying extra weight so I'll bring all the knives.... On sec Mr. Mountain Lion while I open these open these up and prepare to battle.

Name:	y1uVLSM.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	519.9 KB 
ID:	1237020

Name:	SDWVItY.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	305.6 KB 
ID:	1237019

Joking not joking aside, I spend a lot of time alone in mountain lion/bear habitat and I may or may not work out attack scenarios in my head and how I can best defend myself with sticks, rocks, ballpoint pens and a clipboard.
    Haha -It is fairly absurd to plan for such an event, but I do feel better with a fixed blade on my belt. I'm not a gram-shaver (beer is heavy), anyway. I've run into some humans that were probably a more serious threat.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Haha -It is fairly absurd to plan for such an event, but I do feel better with a fixed blade on my belt. I'm not a gram-shaver (beer is heavy), anyway. I've run into some humans that were probably a more serious threat.
    I just ride one of these!

Name:  gunbike.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  72.3 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Damn, the carnivores in that area are hungry! I wouldnít ride there without neck armor.

In Los Gatos, Iíve found that a cardboard sign that says ďCan you spare any change for sildenafil?Ē will keep the cougars at a distance.

Name:	EF94DF52-5B12-41F9-A75B-DAF3492773CC.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	1237167

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Deleted due to duplicate posting.

CBZ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Wow this is an impressive story. I hope they let him keep the hide!

Moderator Moderator

Name:	EF94DF52-5B12-41F9-A75B-DAF3492773CC.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	1237167
    Maybe after he strangled the lion he was just hungry?

I ride these trails regularly. No sightings as usual anywhere Mountain Lions are present. They see you and you rarely [lucky if you do] see them. NorCal has plenty of these critters, same thing. Thereís a lot of predator / scavengers who could have gone to work on the carcass. The fact they mentioned the possibility of other lions scavenging it is just speculation. My bet having lived in the area of NorCo for years is coyotes, could be Black Bear, Bobcat and or other Mountain Lions. Pretty much the same predators NorCal has. Lets not jump the shark and blame the area for not properly feeding their predators.

Hereís something to spend some time on. These are game cameras set up on a local trail system I ride regularly. Approximately 5 miles from the trail where this lion attack happened.

Plenty of critters spotted, including lions. Iíve never seen one on these trails although looking at these photos itís obvious they are among us, never seen one. My nephew spotted a black bear a couple of years ago.

Go here for some great footage > https://www.fcgov.com/naturalareas/wildlife-camera.php

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Yo, DJ, does CO have a hunting season for mountain lions? They've been protected in CA since the early 80's, and their numbers have really increased since then.

Yo, DJ, does CO have a hunting season for mountain lions? They've been protected in CA since the early 80's, and their numbers have really increased since then.
    Yes, thereís a season for them.

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Ru...untainLion.pdf

mtbr member
    ^

It was a face to face encounter, the latest finally details it. He used a rock first and then strangled it in a last ditch effort to live. The cat was relentless and kept coming at him.

https://gazette.com/news/colorado-ru...2368c3e50.html

Name:	060B57D9-D7E3-45BF-B5AB-5CB5B0BFAF71.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	1236978
    This freakin is pretty scary for me to read. Read the above account, then read what happened to me last year:

Guess It Was My Turn: Auburn FHDC 7AM Mountain Lion (SUN 02SEP2018)

From that thread, here is the description of my encounter,

As I turned left, my eyes caught movement about 10 feet down the trail. A blur of brown with a black tipped tail literally lands on the trail in front of me. It was so large it took a second to register. It was a mountain lion, which immediately crouched down and turned to face me. I had already slammed on my brakes based upon the movement and skidded with my right side broadside to the cat.

In the split second I skidded to a halt, I realized there was nothing between me and this amazing killer than my bike and 10 feet. I immediately Jumped off and raised my bike about waist level and started shouted and yelling as loud as I could with every muscle in my body taught and ready for survival mode. After the first round of shouting, it remained on the trail semi crouched eyes locked on me. It was then when I really felt the terror of the reality of the situation.

I took another big breadth and growled / shouted again. When I finished it was still there, but I could just hear the telltale sign of another bike coming close. The cat nonchalantly turned up hill and launched 6+' onto the trail shoulder walks a few feet behind a tree and stops and turns back around looking at me. I continued to shout until I heard the rider get right behind before I took my eyes off the cat.
    The only difference there is I had a bike between me and it. I have no doubt if I was runner, this would have had a much difference outcome. And the cat I was looking at was way more than 80 lbs. I can only imagine what the cat was weighing to determine if to pounce or not!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Thanks, DJ. Any chance a CA resident can still get lion tag?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    These work awesomely Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FA74790A-91ED-4F1E-8885-86F248FE55AB.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	1237093
    I can attest to that. I have couple of house-mountain lions that still go apeshit over these.
    Irresistible!

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by langster831 View Post
    https://www.kion546.com/news/woman-s...y-2/1003084748

Mountain Lion in Monterey! Hard to make it out in the video. I don't know if the lady really intended to scare off this big cat or was just lucky it scurried off. The scary thing is this is about a block away from my house and that cat wondered a long way into the concrete jungle. I guess having a vocal dog isn't always a bad thing.
    From station KION? C'mon.

Thanks, DJ. Any chance a CA resident can still get lion tag?
    Nope, illegal in California.

Check this link out, if not for the legalities but for the great story in the beginning.

https://www.gohunt.com/read/life/the...ia#gs.oQtrjKR2

Mountain Lion Attack, Colorado.-fedc4376-81e0-4cb1-9f51-f40f2319cde5.jpg

We finally get to hear how it all unfolded from the man himself. Still have to wait until tomorrow though.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...story-thursday

Mountain Lion Attack, Colorado.-cbb80d72-2413-4f28-80c6-76fe557dc2d7.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast