Thread: Mountain Lion!

mtbr member

Mountain Lion!

This summer has seen a massive timber harvest on the Mendocino coast. Most likely it will extend into next summer to culminate the largest harvest here in 20 years. Lots of wildlife moving around because of the huge disturbance. This shot was taken by a logger who just happened to be very close to this very powerful looking cat.

Mountain Lion!-mt.jpg

You might never see a cat on a ride, but they see you all the time. For me it is a privilege to see one in the wild and I have seen 3 on 3 separate occasions. Share the trail...

mtbr member
    That is one swole ass cat wow

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Nice one. Looks full. Lots of deer there it seems.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Well I make the ***** purr with the stroke of my hand.

Moderator Moderator
    That cat has a huge deer gut!

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Beautiful looking animal!

Looks like it means business too, LOL!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    S/he thicccc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Okay, that was funny.

TFPU. Good to see reminders of the magnificent spectrum of critters we share the open space with.

mtbr member
    Clearcuts potentially make for dangerous cats. The 2 bikers attached and 1 killed outside of Seattle was in a recent clearcut. Some say this led to the cats behavior and that tends to make sense to me. I've never seen one, someday hopefully!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Moderator Moderator
    Big bobcat ran right in front of me today on White Oak trail at Montebello, and a deer ran in front of me on the drive up! These wild animals are getting out of control.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by RooHarris View Post
    This summer has seen a massive timber harvest on the Mendocino coast. Most likely it will extend into next summer to culminate the largest harvest here in 20 years. Lots of wildlife moving around because of the huge disturbance. This shot was taken by a logger who just happened to be very close to this very powerful looking cat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mt.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	1223493

You might never see a cat on a ride, but they see you all the time. For me it is a privilege to see one in the wild and I have seen 3 on 3 separate occasions. Share the trail...
    I think the cat was eyeín the loggers lunch box! Looked serious about it too. Beautiful animals they are. We must remember itís their terrain.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Moderator Moderator
    Ranch hand who is very credible in SC mountains told me he saw a black jag a few years ago. That is like winning the lottery or seeing Sasquatch.

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Clearcuts potentially make for dangerous cats. The 2 bikers attached and 1 killed outside of Seattle was in a recent clearcut. Some say this led to the cats behavior and that tends to make sense to me. I've never seen one, someday hopefully!
    I believe that cougar was severely underweight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncstad View Post

Yes, as they are territorial. Clear cuts means no more food and places to pounce/kill from. They can not move on to another cats territory that simply. I'm definitely not an expert here. Just seemed like a good thread to throw that out there & see if anybody had any input on the idea.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That cougar did not look really happy to see the logger.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mt.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	1223493

This cat is a huge male tomcat. Females donít get to that size. The big males often roam from female to female territory and kill cubs to bring a female back in to heat to mate. They roam a much larger area than the females or younger males.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    This cat is a huge male tomcat....

Agreed. His low front end implies heavy front braking
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Is that a Tomcat reference?!
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ^^ Is that a Tomcat reference?!
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    Agreed. His low front end implies heavy front braking
    He skips leg day.

Mountain Lion!-let-these-guys-reminder-never-skip-leg-days-1068x566.jpg

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Gotta spread the rep around again afore you get it, sorry.
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

That was the narrative being pushed by many and the media, but it turned out to be a healthy 3 year old.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    In related news, I saw a healthy looking bobcat on Coastal View in Marin yesterday. S/he ran away on the trail, which gave me a rare chance to watch as I followed. Thatís the third bobcat Iíve seen this year - are they on the rebound?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nope. It was lean but within normal weight for its age.
    Tests show nothing wrong with cougar that attacked, killed mountain bikers in North Bend - Living Snoqualmie

I think it was probably hungry, but not starving and probably nervous about territory as it was still fairly young.

This happened not too far from where we ride (Tokul) dozens of times per year, especially in the wet season when back country is snowed in or inaccessible.

Hella Olde
    I saw a bobcat stalking a wood rat den at Wilder.. Unfortunately, the big cats have only seen me, not the other way around.

mtbr member

No clear cutting here

Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Yes, as they are territorial. Clear cuts means no more food and places to pounce/kill from. They can not move on to another cats territory that simply. I'm definitely not an expert here. Just seemed like a good thread to throw that out there & see if anybody had any input on the idea.
    Due to the fact that the harvests here are quite extensive, animals tend to be pushed around. But, none of our harvests are anywhere close to being clearcuts as they were discontinued in the early 2000's. The JDSF forestry practices have been in transition now for about 15 years or more. We have always had a rich environment for apex predators. The deer populations are still very high at the moment. Many of the wild cats (mountain and Bob) prey upon local easy to catch lap dogs and domestic cats. Everywhere you go you see posters "Have you seen Fifi or Buster? Reward offered!". We have a known mountain lion in our neighborhood which keeps the local pets to a minimum. We even have a mountain lion territory tree at the edge of my 5 acres were there is an old entrance to our property. It is a small redwood about 30 feet tall with all the bark stripped on two sides. The cat climbs up about 12 feet or so and slides down smiling all the way. Of all the cats I've come across, the one in the picture is the most powerful one I've seen. BTW: other than size, it is almost impossible to sex a mountain lion from behind. Some say you must actually be underneath the cat (like a treed cat) to determine the sex. Try not to get in this position at all cost...

mtbr member

You are correct. The individual who was killed tried to run away. Not recommended. Stand your ground, maintain eye contact, keep your bike between you and the imposing creature, yell loudly while waving arms helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You are correct. The individual who was killed tried to run away. Not recommended. Stand your ground, maintain eye contact, keep your bike between you and the imposing creature, yell loudly while waving arms helps.
    May as well read what really happened rather than getting it in dribs and drabs:
    https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...k-on-eastside/

They did the right thing initially but the cougar came back and attacked them after they thought it had fled.

As I said above, the cougar was not severely underweight; he was lean but not malnourished. The "severely underweight" was speculation before they had the cougar necropsy done.

And for running away, it shows how powerful the instinct is in a cougar to chase something running. This one dropped the attack on one of the victims and went after the one running away, who was ultimately killed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    May as well read what really happened rather than getting it in dribs and drabs:
    https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...k-on-eastside/

They did the right thing initially but the cougar came back and attacked them after they thought it had fled.

As I said above, the cougar was not severely underweight; he was lean but not malnourished. The "severely underweight" was speculation before they had the cougar necropsy done.

And for running away, it shows how powerful the instinct is in a cougar to chase something running. This one dropped the attack on one of the victims and went after the one running away, who was ultimately killed.
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thank you.
    You're welcome, Roo.

One of these days/weeks/months/years, I hope to get down to the Mendocino area and ride my Ibis w/ y'all. Sooner rather than later, 'cause I'm not getting younger.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm vaguely curious about the instinct of cougars to chase things. In most respects, they behave a lot like housecats, and housecats don't really do that (they can, but they don't always). It's also advice applicable to other wild predators and also strange/wild dogs.

Also, I'm fairly uneasy with the seeming routine euthanasia of predators predating UNLESS they happen to be out of their habitat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've only seen a Mtn. lion on one ride but always carry a ball of string just in case.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    it is almost impossible to sex a mountain lion from behind.
    lol

mtbr member

Come for a ride or three

Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    You're welcome, Roo.

One of these days/weeks/months/years, I hope to get down to the Mendocino area and ride my Ibis w/ y'all. Sooner rather than later, 'cause I'm not getting younger.

I'd be happy to show you around. Consider the 3rd Ibis Migration for next summer in August (15th-19) 2019. I guided this year w/ other club members.

Lots of fun!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by teleken View Post
    I've only seen a Mtn. lion on one ride but always carry a ball of string just in case.
    Sounds so much more lightweight and bulky compared to what Iíve been hauling around.

Name:  47354ABE-2334-4366-A6C2-E01BCEA45C2C.jpeg
Views: 171
Size:  11.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    I've seen a lot of them on the coastal parts of Tam/Headlands for a few years now. Population seems healthy from my perspective. Getting one running in front of you on a trail is a great treat though! Really cool to watch that sideways gait.

I wonder if the abundance has to do with the massive coyote explosion. I saw 4 different coyotes on a 2 hour ride yesterday morning on Tam. They are everywhere!
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

Moderator Moderator