Most comfortable, high end, all day saddle?- Mtbr.com
    Crazed Country Rebel

Most comfortable, high end, all day saddle?

Just lookin for idea's for my new bike.

I've got a couple Fizik Aliante's on a couple bikes that are really nice and comfy - but the tail end is pointed and catches on my shorts on steep decents.

I used to like WTB before they cheaped out and went chinese on everything. Now they just look like lumpy pillows.

So whatchu riding that you really like?

Pics n links, when possible, please.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    I really like my specialized rival sl, but now they don't use the memory foam anymore, and instead just like any other foam. I've heard the new format saddles is pretty good, plus they rounded the rear to avoid the short catching issues.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    Just lookin for idea's for my new bike.

I've got a couple Fizik Aliante's on a couple bikes that are really nice and comfy - but the tail end is pointed and catches on my shorts on steep decents.

I used to like WTB before they cheaped out and went chinese on everything. Now they just look like lumpy pillows.

So whatchu riding that you really like?

Pics n links, when possible, please.
    You know, I was riding Selle Italias for a while, and everyone, and I mean everyone I rode with was riding WTB saddles. As soon as the Selle wore out, I put WTBs on my bikes and have been extremely happy with them.

Yeah, they look like they'd be uncomfortable, lumpy-looking as they may be, butt...

No idea what model mine are. Not cheap, but didn't break the bank, either.
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    brooks swift Ti. seriously comfy.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    You know, I was riding Selle Italias for a while, and everyone, and I mean everyone I rode with was riding WTB saddles. As soon as the Selle wore out, I put WTBs on my bikes and have been extremely happy with them.

Yeah, they look like they'd be uncomfortable, lumpy-looking as they may be, butt...

No idea what model mine are. Not cheap, but didn't break the bank, either.
    WTB changes vendors like I change my under wear... a new one every other week.

Their saddles my have the same name, but they an't the same.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Fizik Gobi

I got the older non XM version. It's similar to the Aliante in feel but without the tail.

I'll let ya borrow it

mtbr member
    I agree w/ Scoutcat - leather saddles rock. I've got a Brooks Professional and it's been comfortable from day 1.

Urban Ninja
    This is totally a preference thing. Everybody's anus is different so what fits Finche's anus may not fit a IHB anus. Try some things and see what works. WTB usually has their vendors outfitted with trial saddles and you can ask the dealer to lend you one. Try, try and try again.

I like the Silverado
    https://wtb.com/files/2009/01/silverado.jpg

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by jeng
    This is totally a preference thing. Everybody's anus is different so what fits Finche's anus may not fit a IHB anus. Try some things and see what works. WTB usually has their vendors outfitted with trial saddles and you can ask the dealer to lend you one. Try, try and try again.
    True and true and crap.

WTB's trial program outfits bike shops with the lowest of low end crap - all non-leather, cheap foam afficianados rejoice - that's what WTB sends out, per this program.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

3.14159265358979323846…
    Thanks for the mental image jeng... I can do without thinking about their starfish...

Another vote of confidence for WTB. I have two rockets and a Pure V. The Pure V is on the touring bike so it is used the most for the longest periods of time. All three were purchased two years ago, so not sure it helps now.

Urban Ninja
    True and true and crap.

WTB's trial program outfits bike shops with the lowest of low end crap - all non-leather, cheap foam afficianados rejoice - that's what WTB sends out, per this program.
    Okay, they might not be the best saddles but at least they give you an idea of what works on your butt??? Anyway, "there's too much blood in my veins where the whiskey ought to be!"

ballbuster

Fine. what I gots....

True and true and crap.

Specialized Alias... not sure it's 'all day' comfy, but works for me
    Bontrager Ti rail saddle... got it at a swap meet from the Dirt Rag booth for free with a year of subscription.... works for me

Maybe you need this:

-from Sheldon Brown

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a brooks pro and a swift ti, and they both are great for long rides. The break-in period was pretty short -- maybe because it is a MTB and your a$$ pounds it into the right shape pretty fast? Someone mentioned on the board that there is a dealer that has a 6 month return, but I don't recall where I saw it...

mtbr member
    wallbikes i believe

Paper or plastic?
    I like my Maxm (Titus) Ti saddle. Light comfy and not crazy expensive ($80 I think).
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeng
    so what fits Finche's anus may not fit a IHB anus.
    I would much rather not fit anything into my anus, saddles in particular, thank you.

On the topic, I like Fizik Rondine (a bit heavy) and Gobi for long rides, and I also like Nisene HP for shorter, more technical trails. Selle Italia Flyte and SLR for XC riding..

Big difference in comfort is how far apart are you pelvis bones.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    i ride both road and mountain bikes and the rocket v stealth is by far the most comfortable saddle i have ridden ( i'm talking all day epic rides).

Fireball in the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55
    i ride both road and mountain bikes and the rocket v stealth is by far the most comfortable saddle i have ridden ( i'm talking all day epic rides).
    I have a new, unmounted Rocket V for trade or sale.

everyone drives a Used Car

banned

old man's solution

I saw some old dude in Santa Barbara back country 15 years ago who fashioned a set of road handlebars with a big old piece of fabric stretched across the curved part. Kind of like a hammock for you butt.

He looked like he was on the road trip for years, so I figure that set up would be good for a day too.

That should turn heads on your new ride....

bicycle rider
    +1 for the WTB Silverado, done two 8-hour races, TransRockies, lots of epics on that saddle. It's supremely comfortable, it is not noticeable. It's light. It's durable.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Gotta second steve on the spec. rival. I dont have the SL version but its still fairly light and its super comfy. It does try to take off my shorts from time to time though.
    JP

beer is good for u
    I love me some flite ti action.. I use kevlar on my cross and mtb rigs.. same saddle for all is nice, even if they're not all the "same"

being italian they kinda all have a personality of their own but that is mostly due to the individual saddle, seat tube angle, etc.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    I saw some old dude in Santa Barbara back country 15 years ago who fashioned a set of road handlebars with a big old piece of fabric stretched across the curved part. Kind of like a hammock for you butt.

He looked like he was on the road trip for years, so I figure that set up would be good for a day too.

I saw a saddle similar to what you're describing somewhere on the web. It was like a pair of crotchless panties, and I think the intent was to eliminate taint pressure. Interesting, albeit strange design.

MSH
    mtbr member
    WTB Rocket V SLT on both mtb's. I love the saddle...lots of 6-12 hour rides & races on them.
    Fizik Arione on my roadie and I have love/hate with it. Shorter distance under 50 miles it's a-ok...over 50 not so good.

ol'guy who says hi &waves

The most comfortable saddle evar. But the rest of the bike sucks for speed or mountains...

Attached Images Attached Images

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I love my WTB Rocket

I have a WTB Rocket V Pro Gel and it has been the best saddle I've ever had and I've been MTB'ing since 1991. It has 3-4 years of abuse and still looks great and has not lost any support. It is also fairly light.

Master of '80s BMX tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff p.
    Gotta second steve on the spec. rival. I dont have the SL version but its still fairly light and its super comfy. It does try to take off my shorts from time to time though.
    JP
    nice seat.
    I've got a specialized rival sl with ti rails (130mm wide) in new condition for sale.
    $50. pm me if interested.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Terry Fly Ti. Like everyone said, it depends on your ass so you need to try several different saddles.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    I like the Specialized Alias:

It works for me for all day rides, and it comes in different widths to match your butt.
    Last edited by fiddlr40; 03-28-2009 at 09:22 AM.

mtbr member
    werent you saying you needed new shoes too?? keep on shakin hommie!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ibis Cycles
    www.ibiscycles.com

banned

the above booty pic...

reminds me that iheartbicycles once talked about the fleshlight seat conversion, talking about all day satisfaction!

Adapt one of those ti rail seats with a fleshlight???

Crazed Country Rebel
    reminds me that iheartbicycles once talked about the fleshlight seat conversion, talking about all day satisfaction!

Adapt one of those ti rail seats with a fleshlight???
    You gotta keep the flesh light saddle on the DL, yo. It's patent-pending!

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Oct 2008
    I have started using the WTB Vigo, and have to say it is the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden. I have test saddles available, if you would like to try one out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My WTB Speed V and Pure V have been great saddles. The Speed V I've toured on and it'd done me well.

But neither of those are high end, so maybe you can burn a couple hundred dollar bills so you can feel a little more satisfied.

Uncle

That explains a lot

WTB changes vendors like I change my under wear... a new one every other week.

Their saddles my have the same name, but they an't the same.
    I got my first Lazer Ti for $20 lightly used at a swap meet 6 years ago -- best MTB saddle I've owned thus far. I've had 4 others since then, and each has looked and felt at least slightly different. While each one with a flat top panel of pleather has been for the most part comfy, I found my slt had a very different shape and was far less comfy, despite having a nearly identical description.

Thanks for the inside scoop, IHB

bike buster
    I'm sold on Selle Italia. After yesterday's 8 hour at Boggs, the only thing that wasn't hurting was my ass. I believe it's the SLK model.

I've had a few WTBs and did not like any of them. The Specialized Phenom is comfortable, too. But like jeng pointed out, it's all personal preference.

mtbr member
    +1 for WTB Silverado. For years loved(and still do) the Rocket V, But I like the flatter profile of the Silverado. Gives me more comfort when I have to get up on the nose for sketchy climbs. It's replaced the Fizik Arione on my road bike too, which replaced a Sella Italia before that.
    Also raced the Boggs 8hr solo yesterday on a borrowed hardtail with a Silverado and had no issues. It will replace my mtb's Rocket V soon. WTB makes great high end saddles period. OK, maybe the Shadow V was bomb-unless you are 145lbs or have really narrow hips. Everything else seems good to go. Even back in the early 90's when I got my first bike(Spez) it had a Pro Long saddle that was designed by WTB's Mark Slate that kicked ass.

Not sure what level saddle you had issues with. To my knowledge they have used the same vendor for quite some time, who has made saddles for nearly everyone else too(even the big S). As with every manufacturer, build quality and materials used will vary from entry to high end versions of each model. Maybe try to borrow a buddy's saddle if they have a model you want.

mtbr member

Selle Itallia SLR Xp

I really like the sella itallia slr xp. It is the slr with a bit of extra padding, I use it 8 hour races and epic rides with no issues.

Ride what you want!!
    Bike seats are so ass specific I don't see how you can recommend anything to anyone. I've had people tell me a saddle was the most comfortable think they ever tried and I've jumped on and they felt like torture devices.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    All the Specialized saddles have been great, but I am now running the Phenom on all my bikes. The SL on my road, MTB and cross and the regular on my touring. I have never used a saddle that was as good.

mtbr member
    My arse has been digging the WTB Shadows for years on the longer rides. I like the rockets for the FS and the SS, but not as comfortable on the all day/lots o pedalin in the saddle rides.

Fireball in the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Skidmore
    I have a new, unmounted Rocket V for trade or sale.

Can everyone see this saddle? It's up for grabs, if somebody has a legitimate use for it.
    Some Jagoff named MathewGHo doesn't get it and has been flooding my PM with moronOgrams.
    everyone drives a Used Car

The A-Train
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    Terry Fly Ti. Like everyone said, it depends on your ass so you need to try several different saddles.
    Mad love for my Terry Zero Y - the male version. It runs a little wide, so if you have narrow sitbones steer clear. A little high dollar ($90ish), but worth it by hour six.

I'm a "she".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tread Shawn
    I have started using the WTB Vigo, and have to say it is the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden. I have test saddles available, if you would like to try one out.
    I second what Shawn said. It was a Vigo test saddle that got me through 8+ hours of non-stop riding at Boggs. No complaint at all. Now I'm trying to convince my husband to try it out and hope it will work for him too. WTB really understands how important a saddle is to a rider. I'd love to try out many other saddles recommended here, but it's really hard to find one that I can take out for a weekend's dirt and mud riding guilt-free.

Here is what I suggest to go about saddle shopping. First thing, find a shop that has a simple setup (memory foam on a board) to measure the distance of your sit bones. I did it at Concept Cyclery in Morgan Hill while looking for a road bike saddle. You can probably measure it yourself, but usually the shop has a chart that shows you what saddle width you should go with based on your measurement. E.g. I should use 143mm wide saddles. Just knowing that number can help you rule out many saddles that work wonders for others but won't fit you.

I learned this in a backward way. I first read many positive reviews on WTB Rocket V. Because Vigo is a new line, there are not many reviews out there. So, I tried hard to make Rocket V work for me (everyone says it's great, right?) and just could not get comfortable with it. And Vigo was comfortable from the beginning. It was only a few minutes ago, I found out on WTB website that Rocket V is 127mm in width and Vigo is 143mm in width. Bingo! That explains everything! Thought I should share this. It might save someone a little detour.
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm
    I second what Shawn said. It was a Vigo test saddle that got me through 8+ hours of non-stop riding at Boggs. No complaint at all. Now I'm trying to convince my husband to try it out and hope it will work for him too. WTB really understands how important a saddle is to a rider. I'd love to try out many other saddles recommended here, but it's really hard to find one that I can take out for a weekend's dirt and mud riding guilt-free.

Here is what I suggest to go about saddle shopping. First thing, find a shop that has a simple setup (memory foam on a board) to measure the distance of your sit bones. I did it at Concept Cyclery in Morgan Hill while looking for a road bike saddle. You can probably measure it yourself, but usually the shop has a chart that shows you what saddle width you should go with based on your measurement. E.g. I should use 143mm wide saddles. Just knowing that number can help you rule out many saddles that work wonders for others but won't fit you.

I learned this in a backward way. I first read many positive reviews on WTB Rocket V. Because Vigo is a new line, there are not many reviews out there. So, I tried hard to make Rocket V work for me (everyone says it's great, right?) and just could not get comfortable with it. And Vigo was comfortable from the beginning. It was only a few minutes ago, I found out on WTB website that Rocket V is 127mm in width and Vigo is 143mm in width. Bingo! That explains everything! Thought I should share this. It might save someone a little detour.
    Thanks for all the answers... yet these are not answers to the question I asked. I want to know what you think is the best, most comfortable saddle for all day riding. I didn't ask how to shop for saddles.

I am/was simply looking for ideas as to what's on the market. If you like something - post up - please include a pic or a link.

Don't worry about me and my ass's abilty to asscertain what fits us best - I got that part covered!

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    I like the Selle Italia SLR saddles, or just the plain flite. You know i like those all day rides up big ass hills too, so this is what works for me. I even like the Selle Italia C64 with no padding, just carbon.....rides nice!!
    Ibis Cycles
    www.ibiscycles.com

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by peletonnissen
    I like the Selle Italia SLR saddles, or just the plain flite. You know i like those all day rides up big ass hills too, so this is what works for me. I even like the Selle Italia C64 with no padding, just carbon.....rides nice!!
    ...hard ass!

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

I'm a "she".
    ... I didn't ask how to shop for saddles. ...
    Apologies for unsolicited advice. I admit I didn't read every word in this thread carefully. Only glanced through quickly. I just had an epiphany realizing why some popular saddles failed to work for me -- all supported by hard data. Was eager to share the knowledge hoping it might turn out helpful to some people in the future.
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I had a WTB Pro V. One of the titanium rails snapped completely off. The lady at WTB was totally unsympathetic. Told me to go buy a new seat. I followed her advice but will not be buying WTB products again any time soon.

Axe
    Custom User Title

Fizik Antares fits me. Many 8+ hour rides, no discomfort.

JFR
    mtbr member
    Specialized makes the best everything and is a great company. They are so epic.

Pure V for me.

mtbr member

Loving my Prologo Nago Evo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I know saddles, like grips, are personal preference but Selle Italia SLR's are super comfortable to me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I love the Specialized Phenom Expert. I think all saddles should come in multiple sizes. It's a little tricky to set up, finding the middle third and getting that level, but the iPhone has a level app and fit in the middle section well enough that it didn't take much effort. My bubble level was too long to do it easily.

There's a lot that's wrong about Specialized, but there are some areas they have led innovation and do very well, such as saddles and helmets.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Epic Zombie-Thread.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I bought a WBT a while back and it was so horribly uncomfortable. Made my penis go numb. When I called WTB, the customer service rep told me that real riders don't sit down. So, according to WTB all saddles are comfortable as long as you don't sit on them when you ride...or something like that.
    I'm not sure how this works.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    I bought a WBT a while back and it was so horribly uncomfortable. Made my penis go numb. When I called WTB, the customer service rep told me that real riders don't sit down. So, according to WTB all saddles are comfortable as long as you don't sit on them when you ride...or something like that.
    4 years later and I'm still riding Fizik Aliante on all my bikes. I just dont wear baggy shorts as much as I used to.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Save Jesus
    4 years later your apostrophe skillz have improved.

mtbr dismember

Specialized Henge

I ride 8 - 12 hours a lot and I've had the Specialized Henge for the past few years and it is great. They come in several widths and it's important to make sure you are on your sit bones. No matter which saddle you use height, fore/aft position and angle all play a major role in comfort. Every time I change one it takes several rides to get the right position.

mtbr member

I've been riding the WTB Silverado for 3 years now and I love it! Light and durable. Just bought another one for when this one wears out. Fits my butt nicely.

huck to flat
    WTB Silverado Ti or Volt Ti.
    WTB's other saddles looks super goon/90's mtb/not enduro specific.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Holy thread resurrection. I've been a fan of WTB for a loooong time (SST98 was the first one). Just fits the sit bones. Even the roadie has a Silverado Ti on it.
    Don't harsh my mello

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by wg View Post
    Holy thread resurrection. I've been a fan of WTB for a loooong time (SST98 was the first one). Just fits the sit bones. Even the roadie has a Silverado Ti on it.
    It makes me feel all warm inside knowing all these people are so concerned about me twig n berries.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Save Jesus
    OK, to actually be helpful, I've had this saddle since the late 2000's:
    Forté Pro SL Saddle - Bike Saddles / Seats / Seatposts

I mean, "late 2000s" without the apostrophe.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    4 years later and I'm still riding Fizik Aliante on all my bikes. I just dont wear baggy shorts as much as I used to.
    I've got an Aliante and an Aliante XM. The XM has a normal smooth back.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    OK, to actually be helpful, I've had this saddle since the late 2000's:
    Forté Pro SL Saddle - Bike Saddles / Seats / Seatposts

I mean, "late 2000s" without the apostrophe.
    I'm sure knowing the correct use of apostrophes has taken you very far in life! Teach me.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ If we can keep this thread going for another four years, we can cover the nuances of ALL the punctuation marks.

And with another four years we can tackle spelling!

(we're doomed if the rain doesn't stop soon)
    Last edited by dirtvert; 02-09-2014 at 07:02 PM.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice--pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ^^ If we can keep this thread going for another four years, we can cover the nuances of all the punctuation marks.

And with another four years we can tackle spelling!
    By then my ass will be nothing but sinew and bone and require a whole new saddle thread!

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Does "Pics or it didn't happen" apply here? Everyone should post pics of their asses so we can do a proper ass-saddle comparison.

Related question: how do you know if your saddle should be replaced? I don't think I've changed mine for 10 years but wouldn't know any better.

mtbr member
    They are heavyweights but I have been more comfortable on my U.S. made Sella Anotomica leather saddle than any I've run in over 20 years mountain biking and 15 prior to that rode riding. I talked with the guys from the company and they are working on a Ti model, don't know the eta but it should be a bit lighter.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by monkies View Post
    Does "Pics or it didn't happen" apply here?
    No. Just no.

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    I'm sure knowing the correct use of apostrophes has taken you very far in life! Teach me.
    Wax ON! Wax OFF!

Ride Everything

Re: Most comfortable, high end, all day saddle?

Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    They are heavyweights but I have been more comfortable on my U.S. made Sella Anotomica leather saddle than any I've run in over 20 years mountain biking and 15 prior to that rode riding. I talked with the guys from the company and they are working on a Ti model, don't know the eta but it should be a bit lighter.
    All but one of my bikes are equipped with Selle Anatomica saddles. Comfortable right out of the box, and they get better as they break in.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member

Go with the full carbon fiber ?

Light or comfortable Most comfortable, high end, all day saddle?-0131141616.jpg WTB = cushy ... Sette Italia sl = moderate ... CF in pic = erectiondisconnection
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    This one...

Most comfortable, high end, all day saddle?-spyder-white.png
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride." :D

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    This one...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spyder-white.png 
Views:	301 
Size:	228.9 KB 
ID:	869241
    Yep. Lets dingleberries to hang through.

Crazed Country Rebel

I like to call it "self cleaning"

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Now worries if you shart.....
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride." :D

Crazed Country Rebel

Not if, but when!

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    Now worries if you shart.....
    Good call man! Plus with the blown dry factor you can get a few extra rides on the shorts before needing to wash them !
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My wtb saddle is the same after 45 minor riding. I usually stop for a few minutes until the numbness goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post

mtbr member
    Anyone try the Sells Italia Flite Flow?
    Last edited by stunnerable; 08-12-2014 at 07:26 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 1