Morgan Hill bike shop is closing and selling everything.- Mtbr.com
    Totally, and to the max.

Morgan Hill bike shop is closing and selling everything.

Just read this on craigslist. They're right in the downtown area on Monterey Road. In case you need some fixtures for your garage?! Last time I was in there, it kinda felt like they were on their way out. Everything 40% and maybe more...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/558302446.html

On the other side of the coin (and maybe related?), the new Specialized store, aptly named Concept Cyclery, is now open on East Dunne and 101. Clean, bright and LOTS o' bling in there, both road and mountain. Friendly folks to boot.

Just thought I'd share!

Medium?
    That sucks. I really like Mark and the wrenches there have always treated me right. The "Concept" store is gold-plated. The cheapest bike in there is about $1500. (slight exaggeration)

Quote Originally Posted by K-max
    Last time I was in there, it kinda felt like they were on their way out.
    I agree. sigh.

Funny story: I rode from my house down to South Valley to get a part for the threaded headset on my old Stumpy. Just for kicks I stopped into the Concept store to see if they had the part. Yea, right. They said they could order it for me. I could've ordered it from my desk at work and had it sent to my house. I got the coolest Specialized-brand locking threaded headset that I've ever seen from the junk drawer at SV for free.

I don't know if he's selling any of his collection, but Mark has a ton of old Specialized bikes, including one of those pink stumpys, early s-works bikes and an uber-rare tandem Specialized mtb that he told me he'd "never" sell.

mtbr member
    I just went in there and bought some clothes and accessories. Sad to see it go. Ran into MTBR-favorite CHUM in there as well. He was backing in the truck he had so much stuff in his hands!

I notified CHUM, but I'll notify others as well: Henry Coe Night Ride Wednesday at 6 p.m. from HQ: Manzanita-China Hole-Narrows-Lost Spring-China Hole-Manzanita-HQ

(Please, no whining about the Narrows...I know what's in store, I know it's wet, I know it's dark. Deal with it!)

Capricious youth...
    Biking Brazilian... how long is that ride.

I've been to Coe before, but only a few times. I usually stay on the other side... where the trails don't exist.

I've met Chum before. He's good people. I just fear that you guys have legs that would blow mine outta' the water.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    Biking Brazilian... how long is that ride.

I've been to Coe before, but only a few times. I usually stay on the other side... where the trails don't exist.

I've met Chum before. He's good people. I just fear that you guys have legs that would blow mine outta' the water.
    The good thing about this 14-mile ride is that regardless of how fast anyone (i.e., CHUM) is, The Narrows acts like a good Communist--it equalizes everyone--as they have to hike-a-bike for a good quarter mile or so.

This is a good little loop in the day, even more fun at night.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by K-max

On the other side of the coin (and maybe related?), the new Specialized store, aptly named Concept Cyclery, is now open on East Dunne and 101. Clean, bright and LOTS o' bling in there, both road and mountain. Friendly folks to boot.

Just thought I'd share!
    Boycott any Concept Specialized store for what the big S did to Bike Spring in MV. I am sure the people working there a great but who and what they are working for SUCK...sorry.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky
    Boycott any Concept Specialized store for what the big S did to Bike Spring in MV. I am sure the people working there a great but who and what they are working for SUCK...sorry.
    Hey, Starbucks was a small neighborhood coffee store down the street and around the corner.

I love capitalism: It's all good...until you're too big, at which point you have to become small again. Repeat.

mtbr member

On big getting smaller...

I heard Performance is getting smaller. Performance's Redwood City will be closing soon (just RC, not entire chain). I think they start discounting stuff this weekend. Probably a few weeks of this before they move whatever is left to their other stores.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian
    Hey, Starbucks was a small neighborhood coffee store down the street and around the corner.

I love capitalism: It's all good...until you're too big, at which point you have to become small again. Repeat.
    true dat
    boycott starbucks, too. Go here https://www.redrockcoffee.org/index.php ... non profit coffee shop, who would of thunk? and they sell
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

ANyone know if Morgan Hill bike shop has a Phil Wood spoke cutting tool? Been trying to buy a used one for years.

sunnyside up
    Quote Originally Posted by velocipus
    ANyone know if Morgan Hill bike shop has a Phil Wood spoke cutting tool? Been trying to buy a used one for years.
    sold. I think he got some pretty good coin for it, too.
    Last edited by knobbyknees; 02-02-2008 at 06:55 PM.

mtbr member
    They charge $17.50/pound for beans and still don't make a profit?

mmm
    What'd they do to Bike Spring?
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by timehoc
    http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/452.html

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

For all you vultures, here's another shop that's closing:
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/558854068.html
    Opps - never mind, today was it's last day.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

Medium?
    I don't know the details in either case, but they probably did the same to this shop (South Valley) a few years ago when they 'fired' them as a shop.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by velocipus
    He already sold it, as well as a complete Campy tool set in the wood box. There wasn't much left as of Friday night at 6. They must be really cleaned out now that chum went in with his van and his credit card.

The big 'S' bought the whole collection of stumpys, etc. for big money, so they're not all bad.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    I could always use more tool or even a shop stand. anyone know if they got anything left?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    I could always use more tool or even a shop stand. anyone know if they got anything left?
    Better hurry up. Today (2/3/08) is the last day. Give 'em a call...

17395 Monterey St
    Morgan Hill, CA 95037
    (408) 778-6100

Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    The "Concept" store is gold-plated. The cheapest bike in there is about $1500. (slight exaggeration)

I agree. sigh.

Funny story: I rode from my house down to South Valley to get a part for the threaded headset on my old Stumpy. Just for kicks I stopped into the Concept store to see if they had the part. Yea, right. They said they could order it for me. I could've ordered it from my desk at work and had it sent to my house. I got the coolest Specialized-brand locking threaded headset that I've ever seen from the junk drawer at SV for free.

I don't know if he's selling any of his collection, but Mark has a ton of old Specialized bikes, including one of those pink stumpys, early s-works bikes and an uber-rare tandem Specialized mtb that he told me he'd "never" sell.

lol! the other day when i was in there he told me if i wanted to try some clothes on it'll be a $!...

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by timehoc

Bike Spring brought that upon them selves, dont see why it is Specialized's fault that Bike Spring didnt pay its bills.
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    Bike Spring brought that upon them selves, dont see why it is Specialized's fault that Bike Spring didnt pay its bills.
    agreed. the owner was some guy who made his coin off the tech industry (or so I've heard) who thought it would be cool to own a bike shop. I'm not for the whole idea of the concept stores either (try the trek store in san jose or the new giant store in so cal), but in this case it wasn't the big S's fault. Just BS for buying too deep without anyway of paying it off, other than a nice location (which also costs a lot, too). I did like it, though. Got to ride both an sworks roubaix & sworks tarmac in 58's, which was impossible to find elsewhere. At least they were good for something! Any idea whats going to be done with the building?

mind taking
    true dat
    boycott starbucks, too. Go here https://www.redrockcoffee.org/index.php ... non profit coffee shop, who would of thunk? and they sell

RedRock is actually owned and operated by a pretty large church in the area, https://www.highway.org/ I dare say Mega-Church, but I've never been.

Members who have read this thread: 0