Monterey Bay riding this weekend?- Mtbr.com
    Don't skid

Monterey Bay riding this weekend?

Hi all. I am going to be in Monterey this weekend with my bike and free time . I've heard there is good riding in SC but I don't know where (I also heard the trails aren't exactly legal). I've ridden Fort Ord and its kind of...well... boring, I'm sure its great for hardcore XC guys but that's not my style.
    I rode a trail just north of SC called "Old Growth". It was very short but a great trail. I miss riding in the forest, we don't have to many of those down here in SoCal.
    I keep hearing Wilder and Soquel are the places to go. Can someone recommend a loop in theses place. Specific places to park and what routes to take would be great.

And if someone is free on Saturday and wouldn't mind showing me and my girlfriend a few of the 'local secrets' that would be cool. I will also be there Sunday AM but unless something better comes up I'll probably just hit Fort Ord and the head south.
    thanks.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    Hi all. I am going to be in Monterey this weekend with my bike and free time . I've heard there is good riding in SC but I don't know where (I also heard the trails aren't exactly legal). I've ridden Fort Ord and its kind of...well... boring, I'm sure its great for hardcore XC guys but that's not my style.
    I rode a trail just north of SC called "Old Growth". It was very short but a great trail. I miss riding in the forest, we don't have to many of those down here in SoCal.
    I keep hearing Wilder and Soquel are the places to go. Can someone recommend a loop in theses place. Specific places to park and what routes to take would be great.

And if someone is free on Saturday and wouldn't mind showing me and my girlfriend a few of the 'local secrets' that would be cool. I will also be there Sunday AM but unless something better comes up I'll probably just hit Fort Ord and the head south.
    thanks.

Check out this thread, if you are interested your welcome to join.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=187793

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

Don't skid
    Yes I saw that thread. Thanks for the invite but I don't think I am up for a 40 mile ride and I know my girlfriend is not. It looks like it would be a fun though. Any shorter loops you can recommend?

smw
    pedal pusher
    Yes I saw that thread. Thanks for the invite but I don't think I am up for a 40 mile ride and I know my girlfriend is not. It looks like it would be a fun though. Any shorter loops you can recommend?

You can always drive to Demo and park there, and do a loop between 13 and 16 miles depending on which route you do. I assume being in SB that you both have skills.? What kinda ride are you looking for?
    https://soquelforest.org/images/basemap_large.jpg
    heres a link for the Demo Forest
    Sean
    Last edited by smw; 05-04-2006 at 02:28 PM.
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

Groveland Trail Heads

Are you trying

Quote Originally Posted by smw
    You can always drive to Demo and park there, and do a loop between 13 and 16 miles depending on which route you do. I assume being in SB that you both have skills.? What kinda ride are you looking for?
    Sean
    to kill them? Avoid driving to Demo on Highland...A very dangerous road because of slides right now. I do not know how the way through Corrolitas is but I heard there were slides that way also.
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by scheckler
    to kill them? Avoid driving to Demo on Highland... I do not know how the way through Corrolitas is but I heard there were slides that way also.

Well then maybe you should guide them. Now there's an The roads are fine from that side, thats the way they are telling peeps to access the forest. We are just going the long way because we are sick.

Sean

jrm
    mtbr member

There are other routes..

that you can take once you make the aptos climb resulting in a shorter ride....

Don't skid
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    Sean
    Thanks for your help so far. I just got a PM from a SC local that might show us some stuff. But in case that doesn't work out I think we'll drive out to Demo forest and check it out. And yes being from SB, skill isn't a problem. At the moment being out of shape is the problem but we'd be up for a 15 mile ride.
    I was looking at the map of Demo and was thinking of taking Hihn's Mill Rd to Sulphur Springs and then climbing up Ridge trail. Maybe do that a few times so we can ride down the trails (Tractor, Braile, Sawpit).
    How would that ride be? Are there any standard loops people do thru there?

smw
    pedal pusher
    The standard loop would be take Highland from the parking lot to Buzzards Lagoon to the fork and go right. At the top is the entrance to the single track, Ridge Trail all the way Down to the fireroad via Ridge and Sawpit, then back up the road to the parking lot, that is about 16 miles. The route you mentioned is a good alternate if you want to hit say Braille and Sawpit then back to the car. The climb I mentioned on the first option is pretty moderate, Sulpher Springs is very ridable, but is also known as SufferSprings. Either way is a good ride. Keep an eye out for us, most of us will be on SS, and will hit the single track somewhere around 11:30.

Have fun,

Sean

Don't skid
    I just wanted to say thanks to blue_shorts for hooking me up with some riders on Saturday (even though he did not make it). I had a great time with scheckler and the other guys. The trails are awesome up there, everything I expected and more. I will definately be back up there to ride, though I'll get in better shape so I won't complain about the climbing so much. And if you guys are ever down in the southland I'd be more than happy to show you our local goods. Thanks again.
    -Wil

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I just wanted to say thanks to blue_shorts for hooking me up with some riders on Saturday (even though he did not make it). I had a great time with scheckler and the other guys. The trails are awesome up there, everything I expected and more. I will definately be back up there to ride, though I'll get in better shape so I won't complain about the climbing so much. And if you guys are ever down in the southland I'd be more than happy to show you our local goods. Thanks again.
    -Wil
    I'm sorry that I didn't get a chance to meet you.

Everyone (scheckler, dan51, Steve, Hans...am I missing anyone?) told me that it was a great ride. I'm glad you had a good time.

Groveland Trail Heads
    -Wil
    Hey Wil, glad you had a nice time. It was a pleasure showing you our neighborhood. You did fine on the climbs... you forgot to say that you were riding a 38 lbs. bike And you were the only one to do that jump I will let you know when I am in your neighborhood for some SoCal flavor.

Dwight
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

aka dan51
    So here's the thread for that ride
    Great ride Will, I'll post the shot of you flying through the air later.
    We did the same thing the next day.

-Dan

mtbr member
    I'll be in town for memorial - so if anyone..

My mother n law teaches at el toro park and says there are trails nearby - any other suggestions?

Members who have read this thread: 0