A Monday Explore....Yuba Gap- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

A Monday Explore....Yuba Gap

Not being able to make it out to boggs….I ended up getting away by myself early Monday morning….I decided to do a little exploration in the yuba gap area. So I saddled up the old steel hardtail (rides a lot nicer now with riser bars and and speed v seat) and headed up to what used to be Eagle Mtn Mountain Bike Park. Got there about 8am......what a beautiful sierra morning! I tooled around the park (the little trials area by the lodge is still there sans teeter totter) up to the top of eagle peak which is now treeless thanx to the "Gap Fire" of a few years back. Looking south west you can see the desolation zone left by the fire. Ugly...but you can see nature is coming back quickly. The only cool single track left accesable in the park is at the end of the meadow at the granite rock formations....there is still some cool, fun stuff...but I was very carefull since I was alone. At this point I decided to climb to the top of monumental ridge to the east and look for the entrance to monumental trail...at the top I decided to continue north and east along the ridge and then come back to look for the trail. From the northern end of monumental ridge I was able to identify the cisco grove area and the SP tracks. I still had plenty of time, energy and my water filter so i decided to see if I could find a back way in to loch leven lakes. I followed a forrest service access that skirted the east side of the ridge then dropped down into a valley after climbing north out of the valley I found salmon lake trail...which led to loch leven lakes....still plenty of snow patches and small drifts up here...Now I was a bit tired and getting low on water so I needed to make a decision to ride down to cisco grove and take the asphalt back to yuba gap or....go back the way I came.....I really wanted to find monumental trail...so back I went. stopped at a spring and picked up about 50ozs of yummy water. By the time I reached the southern end of monumental ridge....I was wiped out. I took a nice long break and safety check at the top then somehow found the trailhead. At the top there is a lot of downed trees and overgrowth but farther down there were clear signs that hikers have been accessing this trail...Its still fun but needs some Serius (beer reference here) fixer up. This area adjacent to grouse ridge has so much mtb potential...plenty of access...just not enough single track. Hey memine do you know whats up with this area? Eagle Mtn? Who runs the show here?? BLM? PGE? Forrest srevice?
    :p

Coors, the american beer.
    sounds cool. Its too bad you missed boggs... we had a lot of fun out there.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

JFR
    mtbr member
    Sounds like you had a good adventure, nice to hear there is more untapped trailage for us to enjoy.

Too bad you couldn't make Boggs... you were truly missed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Trails: Future and Present

That area has tremendous potential. The State of California has wanted to acquire the Eagle Mountain property from PG&E. Some land preservation entity (State Parks, land trust(s) etc) will get it as part of the PG&E plan to divest itself of such lands. Check out this link: http://www.bonc.org/advocacy_eagle.htm

As for existing trails... Monumental, Loch Leven, Cherry Point, Salmon Lakes are all great, very technical trails. I know them well.

mtbr member
    I Think I may have been on Cherry Point and Big Valley Trails??? But I'm not sure...

Thats a great area......I sure hope it falls into the right hands....between grouse ridge and yuba gap we will have plenty of tasty places to ride.

s

Jed Peters
    Steve, is it very SS-able?

mtbr member

yes and no....

Some long fireroad climbs wouldn't be much fun......These trails are super rocky and tech...I would have loved to have my FS....which by the way...I'm pretty pissed at fox right now about my fork...I guess when I landed and the air seal blew...It did some damage....they say rhe crown is creaking...and I'm looking at about $200.00 to fix it....there is less than 200 miles on that damn thing....and they are not doing anything as warranty. On top of that...when I talked to them last week they said they were working on it and it would be shipped back to me no later than yesterday...and I get a call today!

Phockers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

There's an amazing ST out there off the backside

that drops you into the American River Canyon. I did it both years they had the Eagle Mtn Epic race, 50 miles, 11k of climbing. That was a great course! Not sure what the name was, but miles and miles of beautiful ST, that got tighter and tighter as it shot down the face of the mtn. Good stuff.