Mission Peak Wed 6pm- Mtbr.com
    Paper or plastic?

Mission Peak Wed 6pm

I have to take my son to the doctor tomorrow afternoon, so I can't make the climbfest in the south bay, so I figured that the best alternative would be to climb Mission Peak. I've never done it, and I plan to start from the Ohlone side (the easiest from what I gathered).

Any taker?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    darn, can't make it

That would have been perfect, but I have been assigned a task for work that will require me to be out during the PM rush hour.

I'll post another message of things change.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    darn, can't make it

That would have been perfect, but I have been assigned a task for work that will require me to be out during the PM rush hour.

I'll post another message of things change.
    Don't feel too bad. My kid's doctor called in sick (how ironic), so now I have no excuse to sneak out of work early. I'll still try though.

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    Hey Zorg,
    I did it lastnight (Tues). Conditions are really good actually, aside from muddy section on the single track right before the gravel road up.

Beware of the Bulls. hehe

Have fun!

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by OhSchitt
    Hey Zorg,
    I did it lastnight (Tues). Conditions are really good actually, aside from muddy section on the single track right before the gravel road up.

Beware of the Bulls. hehe

Have fun!
    What route should I follow from Ohlone? If I can make it, it'll be my first time there.

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    I've only done it from the Ohlone side actually, I've never done it from the Stanford Rd. But from what I understand Ohlone is the easier route.

Go up the paved road Anza Pine which turns into Aquatic Way, past the gate on the regular road. let me see if my google map thingy here works.

GMM
    mtbr member

Nice Ride

Hey Zorg, would love to hear what you think about the ride. It's definately a grind.

Always tough to ride the peak the first few times for me each year, but it certainly helps to improve climbing skills. With all the rain (and some aching knees), I haven't done it yet this year, but I hope to soon.

-- Gary

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by GMM
    Hey Zorg, would love to hear what you think about the ride. It's definately a grind.

Always tough to ride the peak the first few times for me each year, but it certainly helps to improve climbing skills. With all the rain (and some aching knees), I haven't done it yet this year, but I hope to soon.

-- Gary
    It was my first timet there. I started at 6:45 and got to the gate below the peak around 7:30. I then went back down with guys who started earlier. Trails are in great condition. It's definitely a good work out, and there are a few fun spots to hit on the way down. Ride stats: 1hr, 1700', 6.5 miles.

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    Gate below the Peak? Did you make it to the out house? or are you talking about the "picnic" area?

It's a good ride and workout for sure :-)

Paper or plastic?
    Gate below the Peak? Did you make it to the out house? or are you talking about the "picnic" area?

It's a good ride and workout for sure :-)
    I made it to the beginning of the small loop that you do around the peak, basically at the bottom of the steep rocky downhill. Next time I'll go earlier to do more exploring, but it was more fun that I anticipated it.

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    Certainly a trail that beats you up, but in a good way. Hehe, I think my friends and I will be there on Tuesday.

Just Ride!!!!!
    Was the single track section still muddy?

My buddy and I will most likely hit MP next Wednesday around 5pm. We will be starting at Stanford Ave, right side of the Y-split and down to Ohlone College, to Missiion Blvd and back to Stanford. It will be a 9mile loop.

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    Was the single track section still muddy
    As of Tuesday, the top of the lower single track was still muddy, but only a section about 6' long.

Paper or plastic?
    As of Tuesday, the top of the lower single track was still muddy, but only a section about 6' long.
    There is also a mud section under the trees, but it can be bypassed if I remember correctly. I'll probably try again next week, but I can't make 5pm. I'll be shooting for a 6-6:15 start. GMM, will you be in? I'm a slow climber as you know.

Actually, the southbayers should show up and mix it up with us. Taking 680, it's probably less than 20 mns from downtown SJ.

GMM
    mtbr member

Tough for me to make week days

I work in SF and usually don't get home until 8:00, which is why you have seen me on the Alameda Creek trail occassionally in the mornings. If I can get away early one day, I will definately post because the Peak really is a great evening training ride, and riding with others is a good distraction while climbing.

BTW, your time wasn't too bad at all for that hill.

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    nope not all. You think you're slow, I make a turtle feel fast.

Just Ride!!!!!
    Yeah, 45minutes is pretty darn good. I sometimes have problems going over those speed bumps on the single track when going up, you have to speed up to go over those suckers but sometimes I just don't have enough energy to burst and I get stuck.

BTW, do you guys know if there is a trail on Mission Peak that will take you down to Sunol?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    It was my first timet there. I started at 6:45 and got to the gate below the peak around 7:30. I then went back down with guys who started earlier. Trails are in great condition. It's definitely a good work out, and there are a few fun spots to hit on the way down. Ride stats: 1hr, 1700', 6.5 miles.
    Hey, that was us you ran into at the outhouse. It generally takes me about 1:45 total time to go to the top and back from Ohlone. Good thing you didn't ride up with us, because you'd have to listen to my heckler that is squealing like a stuck pig.

The Peak stays remarkably dry in the winter time, and right now there's only 2 small sections of mud that are easily avoidable. Just watch for the green landmines... not fun to have one explode underneath your tires as you go downhill.

Derailleurless
    How many of you are actually riding up or down from the north side of the peak (outhouse direct to peak, or back -- as depicted in the map OhSchitt attached)?

I only attempted that on my first time, years back. Walked most of it.

Since then I've always skirted around the backside of the peak (past the water pump), then approached the peak from the south.

Does the Stanford side stay in better condition in winter, compared to the soggy clay just past the cattle gate on the Ohlone side?
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

GMM
    mtbr member

Yes, But...

Quote Originally Posted by mecam
    Yeah, 45minutes is pretty darn good. I sometimes have problems going over those speed bumps on the single track when going up, you have to speed up to go over those suckers but sometimes I just don't have enough energy to burst and I get stuck.

BTW, do you guys know if there is a trail on Mission Peak that will take you down to Sunol?
    It is illegal to ride on. There is a trail on the back side of the peak that leads to Sunol, but last I checked it was for hikers only. And even then, you have to check in with ranger and sign in before using. I rode it years ago, and it was a lot of fun as it hooks up to Calaveras Road, but I try to keep my riding on the up-and-up (ie legal) these days so as to avoid providing amunition to those who would like to see trails closed to bikers.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by bstyle74
    Hey, that was us you ran into at the outhouse. It generally takes me about 1:45 total time to go to the top and back from Ohlone. Good thing you didn't ride up with us, because you'd have to listen to my heckler that is squealing like a stuck pig.

The Peak stays remarkably dry in the winter time, and right now there's only 2 small sections of mud that are easily avoidable. Just watch for the green landmines... not fun to have one explode underneath your tires as you go downhill.
    Thanks for letting me hang with you guys on the way back down. You're a fast bunch, and those stairs just downright scared me. Your buddy on the XCE is one impressive rider.

Just Ride!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Does the Stanford side stay in better condition in winter, compared to the soggy clay just past the cattle gate on the Ohlone side?
    IMO Stanford side is actually better during wet conditions. It's all loose gravel and can be very slippery when dry. It's also very steep avg. 13% grade and you can sometimes feel your back tires slipping when climbing.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Stanford side is much shorter (and much steeper) than Ohlone side. I've never tried to climb from Stanford, but going down is more technical than Ohlone. It does get really loose when dry, and there aren't any cows to talk to.

Members who have read this thread: 0