Mission Peak Loop (Stanford Ave to Ohlone College)- Mtbr.com
    Just Ride!!!!!

Mission Peak Loop (Stanford Ave to Ohlone College)

Ok, after two months of riding roadies, I had an itch to MTB today. So I chose to ride Mission Peak starting from Stanford Ave. (not a very smart choice) Thinking that I put on 1500 miles in two months on my roadie, I would be fit and should be able to do Mission Peak with no issues. Boy was I wrong, Mission Peak climb is still a Brutal SOB. I thought I could climb it in half an hour but it took me 50 minutes @ 2000'. My heart rate sat mostly above 175bpm. I was on Granny going 2.5mph. I didn't even make it to the peak at 2500', I bailed out at 2000' as you can see on the GPS map. I SUCK! If you like to climb and get a good work out. I suggest trying Mission Peak if you haven't done so. Also be careful of the loose gravel when cornering on the downhill, I almost shot over the cliff. The overall trail condition is pretty good except on the single track section which is pretty muddy on some spots and there's a new huge lake on the flat section of the single track. Data collected below is from a Garmin Edge 305.

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Hey 305 eh? You're the first I've heard using the 305. I have the 205 works great except I am sure the "Beeps" for the auto start might drive my riding buddies nuts.

I've never ridden in that area, but it looks like a nice loop!

(Check your PM)

-Larry
    You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

-Joe Louis

Just Ride!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ0913

I've never ridden in that area, but it looks like a nice loop!

(Check your PM)

-Larry
    Yeah it's a nice loop but I wouldn't say it's fun. You can actually go bit longer. If you start on Stanford Ave, the trail splits into a Y, if you go to the right it will take you all the way to the top, it's an extra mile. On my GPS map, I went to the left as it has an option to bail at 2000'.

(Replied to your PM)

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by mecam
    Yeah it's a nice loop but I wouldn't say it's fun. You can actually go bit longer. If you start on Stanford Ave, the trail splits into a Y, if you go to the right it will take you all the way to the top, it's an extra mile. On my GPS map, I went to the left as it has an option to bail at 2000'.

(Replied to your PM)
    Your a nutter!

I used to hike up that hill to get ready for mountaineering, that thing is crazy steep for a bike.

I should also say congrats, as what you rode is quite a feat!

Next time you have to single speed it...

Mr. P

Just Ride!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P

Next time you have to single speed it...

Mr. P
    OH I can SS it, with a 22Tx34T.

mtbr member
    I remember there being two trails from the Stanford lot. I can't quite tell from the map - did you go up the steeper trail on the left?

Just Ride!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCrash
    I remember there being two trails from the Stanford lot. I can't quite tell from the map - did you go up the steeper trail on the left?
    Yep, took the left trail. I think they added more gravel too, it was pretty slippery.

Members who have read this thread: 0