Mission Peak Loop (Stanford Ave to Ohlone College)- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Just Ride!!!!!
    Reputation: mecam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    99

    Mission Peak Loop (Stanford Ave to Ohlone College)

    Ok, after two months of riding roadies, I had an itch to MTB today. So I chose to ride Mission Peak starting from Stanford Ave. (not a very smart choice) Thinking that I put on 1500 miles in two months on my roadie, I would be fit and should be able to do Mission Peak with no issues. Boy was I wrong, Mission Peak climb is still a Brutal SOB. I thought I could climb it in half an hour but it took me 50 minutes @ 2000'. My heart rate sat mostly above 175bpm. I was on Granny going 2.5mph. I didn't even make it to the peak at 2500', I bailed out at 2000' as you can see on the GPS map. I SUCK! If you like to climb and get a good work out. I suggest trying Mission Peak if you haven't done so. Also be careful of the loose gravel when cornering on the downhill, I almost shot over the cliff. The overall trail condition is pretty good except on the single track section which is pretty muddy on some spots and there's a new huge lake on the flat section of the single track. Data collected below is from a Garmin Edge 305.


    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LJ0913's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,127
    Hey 305 eh? You're the first I've heard using the 305. I have the 205 works great except I am sure the "Beeps" for the auto start might drive my riding buddies nuts.

    I've never ridden in that area, but it looks like a nice loop!

    (Check your PM)

    -Larry
    You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

    -Joe Louis

  3. #3
    Just Ride!!!!!
    Reputation: mecam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ0913

    I've never ridden in that area, but it looks like a nice loop!

    (Check your PM)

    -Larry
    Yeah it's a nice loop but I wouldn't say it's fun. You can actually go bit longer. If you start on Stanford Ave, the trail splits into a Y, if you go to the right it will take you all the way to the top, it's an extra mile. On my GPS map, I went to the left as it has an option to bail at 2000'.

    (Replied to your PM)

  4. #4
    I dig trails!
    Reputation: Mr.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,560
    Quote Originally Posted by mecam
    Yeah it's a nice loop but I wouldn't say it's fun. You can actually go bit longer. If you start on Stanford Ave, the trail splits into a Y, if you go to the right it will take you all the way to the top, it's an extra mile. On my GPS map, I went to the left as it has an option to bail at 2000'.

    (Replied to your PM)
    Your a nutter!

    I used to hike up that hill to get ready for mountaineering, that thing is crazy steep for a bike.

    I should also say congrats, as what you rode is quite a feat!

    Next time you have to single speed it...

    Mr. P

  5. #5
    Just Ride!!!!!
    Reputation: mecam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P

    Next time you have to single speed it...

    Mr. P
    OH I can SS it, with a 22Tx34T.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MrCrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    913
    I remember there being two trails from the Stanford lot. I can't quite tell from the map - did you go up the steeper trail on the left?

  7. #7
    Just Ride!!!!!
    Reputation: mecam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCrash
    I remember there being two trails from the Stanford lot. I can't quite tell from the map - did you go up the steeper trail on the left?
    Yep, took the left trail. I think they added more gravel too, it was pretty slippery.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.