Mind over matter- Mtbr.com
    Weird huh?

Mind over matter

I figured I'd share something that happened yesterday....see if anyone else out there has experienced something similar.

I'm on my daily ride on my cross bike. Yesterday, Jones Trail. 38X25 is the lowest gearing on the bike presently.

So I climb my up the front side from Los Gatos. Always a bit difficult at the start, but doable seated all the way over. I continue over the hump and down into Lexington. Do a lap around the lake and decide I'm short on time and will take Jones back over instead of the creek trail.

Climbing the initial hill on Jones from the Lexington side is difficult at best with mountain bike gearing. I'm on my cross bike with the aforementioned 38x25 and have never made it over the initial climb on the back side on that bike.

As I go thru the gate to start the climb, this MORAN (for you Farkers out there) comes skidding to a stop almost creaming me as I come through the gate. Whatever, I go around and start climbing. I'm pissed. I'm thinking of this idiot who had way too much speed and almost hit me. Thing is, I'm only thinking about how mad I am.

I vaguely remember looking up and realizing I'm at the top of the hill. I come over the top and ride down into downtown Los Gatos.

I'd never been able NOT to hike a bike the initial climb on the backside. Thing was, my brain was focused on being pissed at someone and not thinking about climbing the hill.
    Just kinda happened.

Anyway, it was my little victory on a Saturday afternoon. Anyone else do something on a bike they thought they never could?

Love to hear about it.

Cheers!

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle • 7 points •1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You wimp, I go both ways on my road bike on Jones all the time............

OK, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my road bike has a triple.

Anyway, good work. I find sometimes we over think what we want to climb and forget just to go hard, take no prisoners and nail it.
    Last edited by ziscwg; 08-22-2010 at 10:51 PM.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

OSM
    mtbr member
    I go on rides because i love it and I am always heated. Many times i clear a section to the end,up or down, before my conscience will notice that i was thinking sooo hard the whole time. These are usually my fastest times climbing, as well as the most stress relieving rides. However, typically not the funnest rides ever. I push a 44x12-23 on a 24lb rigid steely that i rarely have to push up the steeps.
    Bicycles D'opinion/ COMMENCAL /Principat D'Andorra

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle
    I figured I'd share something that happened yesterday....see if anyone else out there has experienced something similar...
    Cheers!

FWIW joking aside, it isn't a tool you want to use too much as once it becomes set in your nature it can be a huge adversary to your good will and intents. I won't even go into the whole PTSD side of this stuff.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Nice!

About 8 years ago, my riding buddy showed up there with a Bianchi singlespeed with 2:1 gearing. It was the first singlespeed I've seen and knew he was going to walk that wall. By the time I was halfway up the hill, he was at the top.

The next week, I bought a singlespeed.

Of course I couldn't clear that hill for a while. I found out you have to make your legs explode to develop explosive power.

fc

Uncle

Head music -- similar?

I have a longstanding habit of getting some monotonous tune -- always a melody without lyrics -- into my head as soon as the going gets rough, some times before. Enter Sandman was the most recent one IIRC. I don't plan it, and I'm usually surprised after the fact when it happens. I'm not a monster climber by any means, but the songs almost always outlast the work, and I think the same beneficial distraction applies in both cases -- an unintentional advantage over being too conscious about the work at hand. Like a work song, it helps pass the more arduous times.

Dirt Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by 105millimetersofpleasure
    I have a longstanding habit of getting some monotonous tune -- always a melody without lyrics -- into my head as soon as the going gets rough, some times before. Enter Sandman was the most recent one IIRC. I don't plan it, and I'm usually surprised after the fact when it happens. I'm not a monster climber by any means, but the songs almost always outlast the work, and I think the same beneficial distraction applies in both cases -- an unintentional advantage over being too conscious about the work at hand. Like a work song, it helps pass the more arduous times.
    For me it's the A-Team theme song.
    Or Magnum P.I., depending on what cadence I need to go.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

I like mtn biking, too
    Yeah, definitely something to that... I often still can't get down technical sections that I was afraid of as a beginner, when I have already done more difficult things on other trails. The habit is to automatically shave off speed, or get nervous in anticipation. Once you have the skills or fitness, stuff is only as difficult as you make it in your head.

Yeah, tunes help!

There was that one long fire road climb during the Boggs V 8hour race that just got longer and longer each time around. I did have some campy tune in my head for that bit, and noticed I was passing people, or at least feeling happier than other people looked, lol.

Some guy was riding behind me (until I let him pass) on Mr. Toads singing that song "Don't worry about a thing" by Bob Marley. I don't know if he was doing that for his benefit, or mine. But I thought it was an excellent song to use.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

Fireball in the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    You wimp, I go both ways on my road bike on Jones all the time...
    Are we still talking about the same thing?
    Just for the record, I'm straight, and I'd rather not see that kind of thing on Jones trail.
    everyone drives a Used Car

mtbr member
    Not familiar with Jones trail. How does it compare with Mission Peak in Fremont (Ohlone or Stanford Side)? Thx

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Biker
    Not familiar with Jones trail. How does it compare with Mission Peak in Fremont (Ohlone or Stanford Side)? Thx
    Ahh...Mission Peak. Had the club record in the mid-90's with 5 climbs one afternoon from the Ohlone side. First to the actual summit, the next 4 to the outhouse. But I digress....

Jones Trail is a lot steeper than anything on Mission (back side by Lexington) but it's only about 250 feet long. No big deal on a mountain bike, but I was on a cross bike with a completely bald rear tire. There is a stretch of old asphalt about 16" wide that goes up the steepest part. I was able to stay on that. Either side on the dirt, and I would've spun out.

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle • 7 points •1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

mtbr member
    How steep is Jones Trail? 30%? 40% grade?

I rode short stints of 30% grades with my XC mountain bike and its an ass kicker with a capital "A"

Cant imagine anyone grinding up a 40% grade. Is it even possible?? =)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Skidmore
    Are we still talking about the same thing?
    Just for the record, I'm straight, and I'd rather not see that kind of thing on Jones trail.

ROTFLMAO

I can see how that could be taken wrong..................................Where's your mind???

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Biker
    How steep is Jones Trail? 30%? 40% grade?

I rode short stints of 30% grades with my XC mountain bike and its an ass kicker with a capital "A"

Cant imagine anyone grinding up a 40% grade. Is it even possible?? =)

It's not that bad, but on a road or CX bike, it sucks.

From the Jones rd side, traction is an issue. The grade is not to bad, maybe 10-15% (guessing)

From the Lexington side, that first 50 ft or so is 20%+ I'd say. It is asphalt most of the way on that 50 ft. Then, you hit dirt and it's still 10-15% for another 200 ft.

Then all those hot LG gals with their boob jobs and painted on running shorts are distracting!!

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 105millimetersofpleasure
    I have a longstanding habit of getting some monotonous tune -- always a melody without lyrics -- into my head as soon as the going gets rough, some times before. Enter Sandman was the most recent one IIRC..
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    For me it's the A-Team theme song.
    Or Magnum P.I., depending on what cadence I need to go.
    **cmdrpiffle, all this makes me think of the racer's/fighter's perspective, ever raced or competed in your life? See any similarities? All are part of the socio-behavioral side of being a human being.

Now for the Music and Metal, well, duh..I'm Similarly Guilty. Even to the point of having to bring the Ipod along sometimes to get the Metal or TV Show Tunes out of my head.

AC/DC (Hells Bells, Back in Black, Dirty Deeds, T.N.T.), Metallica (Eye of the Beholder, One *That whole PTSD bit, Harvester of Sorrow, Seek and Destroy, King Nothing *Great warm-up song, same for the Re-Load and Black albums), Rancid, Fugazi (Waiting Room), the list goes on and on, all of which have helped amp me to finish sections.

Heck, there are spots similar to one's I've ridden, be they climbs, descents, rollers, etc, all where an aggressive and angry attitude all played such a part, it creeps into other newer spots and sections. King Nothing for the first lift ride @ NorthStar's always a good start to the day..

Also, savagemann, you forgot to list The Fall Guy?

[Note: King Nothing's playing on my Itunes in the background..LOL!]
    Last edited by Obi; 08-23-2010 at 09:11 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0