Mid Peninsula Open Space trail building video- Mtbr.com
    Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004

Mid Peninsula Open Space trail building video

The Art of the Trail - YouTube
    Nice production qualities. My only complaint is that we can't build single track faster. Hopefully the new vision plan will help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I hope nobody at MPROSD dislocated their shoulders patting themselves on the back during the making of this film. Nice puff piece, goes well with their current image make-over.
    "It's just that nobody likes Cornfish." francois

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by cornfish View Post
    I hope nobody at MPROSD dislocated their shoulders patting themselves on the back during the making of this film. Nice puff piece, goes well with their current image make-over.

mtbr member
    Narrated by Doug McConnell, host of the "Bay Area Backroads" show which some of you may remember.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    I wonder if they had a Fluffer during the filming.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cornfish View Post
    What image makeover? Fat old HOHAs with walking sticks and bikes on fireroads?

Got an e-mail about BofD meeting to conclude that Imagine the Future whatever it was... I do not want to go, as I think it is all useless.

mtbr member
    From the cutting room floor:

"We hope these new trails will open vast new opportunities to hide in bushes and hand out more $400 tickets to criminals attempting to break the 15 MPH speed barrier"
    Last edited by squashyo; 01-10-2014 at 08:42 AM. Reason: word
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member
    Greattttttt. Now we know what the $400 tickets pay for. Bunch of b-roll BS.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    "Mid Peninsula Open Sapce trail building video"

Fixed it for ya:

"Mid Peninsula Open Saps trail building video"

That's some good propaganda material...

Edit: We rode from the Gap today and noticed that a mildly-technical root had been removed from the bottom of Peters Creek trail, just above the Long Ridge s/t intersection. Awesome work. That makes two parks I've ridden in the last few weeks that did root removal as trail "maintenance". I suppose in the future we can just use a road bike for all our cycling needs.

"Give me poach trails or give me death."
    Last edited by dirtvert; 01-11-2014 at 08:38 PM.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice--pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

More Torque
    Hopefully, they take note of Palo Alto's recent decision, lest they had any ideas brewing.

-D

Palo Alto: Police no longer using Tasers to stop fleeing cyclists - San Jose Mercury News

By Jason Green

Daily News Staff Writer
    Posted: 01/09/2014 07:44:09 AM PST

The Palo Alto Police Department is no longer using Tasers to stop fleeing bicyclists following an incident involving a 16-year-old boy in 2012, according to an independent police auditor's report released Wednesday.

The report by Michael Gennaco and Stephen Connolly concurred with a police department internal review that concluded a stun gun should not have been used to try to stop the boy.

"Had the attempted use been successful, the result may have been unduly serious injury," Gennaco and Connolly said.

The incident began when police saw the boy ride a bicycle through a stop sign, according to the report. A training officer and his trainee eventually gave chase and split up in an attempt to stop the boy, with the training officer pursuing him on foot and the trainee remaining in a patrol car.

The training officer fired his Taser at the boy as he rode at and past him, according to the report. The trainee then drove up beside the boy, braked and blocked the boy, causing him to fall to the ground. The report said there was evidence the bicycle collided with the patrol car.

While the trainee struggled to place the boy in handcuffs, the training officer placed his Taser on the boy's neck and back area. According to the report, the training officer said he would activate it if the boy did not comply. The trainee was then able to place the boy in handcuffs.

The boy told an on-scene supervisor that the Taser had struck him on the left wrist but did not affect him. He did, however, suffer an abrasion and neck pain, according to the report.

Police later learned that the bicycle had been stolen and cited the boy after taking him to a hospital for treatment.

The internal review into the incident concluded that the officers were justified in using some level of force to stop the boy but not Tasers, according to the report. The trainee's actions fell within department policy.

"The review noted that since the Taser is designed to incapacitate the individual, a cyclist who loses muscle control as a result of a successful Taser deployment could foreseeably end up injured because of a fall," Gennaco and Connolly said.

The police department is now training its officers not to use Tasers to stop cyclists or any "persons in motion."

The incident has also sparked a discussion within the police department about how to best apprehend fleeing cyclists. Both the internal review and the independent police auditor's report noted that it is dangerous to use a patrol car to pursue, block or cut off a person on a bicycle.

Gennaco and Connolly said they reviewed a case in a different agency in which a fleeing cyclist was killed by a patrol car.

"This is a tactical question that many agencies have struggles with, but have not clearly resolved," they said.

The independent police auditors said they were impressed by the internal review, but they identified several issues that needed further investigation. Among them was the fact that the trainee had not been interviewed.

"It is always critical to interview officers who used or witnessed force as part of any thorough review," they said. "The fact that PAPD did not interview an involved officer left a significant gap in this force investigation."

Gennaco and Connolly also criticized the police department for not formally following up on the boy's allegations that the training officer had used profanity and threatening language. When contacted about the issue, the police department said it had counseled the officer, according to the report.

In addition, the independent police auditors found that the training officer had not issued a warning prior to firing his Taser as required by department policy. His explanation for not issuing a warning demonstrated a "clear misunderstanding" about the reason for the requirement, according to the report. The police department said the officer would be retrained.

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~ View Post
    Hopefully, they take note of Palo Alto's recent decision, lest they had any ideas brewing.

-D

Palo Alto: Police no longer using Tasers to stop fleeing cyclists - San Jose Mercury News

...Police later learned that the bicycle had been stolen...
    On a side note, I wish I could tase bike thieves.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    On a side note, I wish I could tase bike thieves.
    Agreed; I was feeling bad for the kid until I got to that part.

-D

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Where are trails being built on mid pen? Got it, kinda, need to watch video, i guess...

Professional Troll
    So rugged, nice, buffed out beginner fireroad trails. So sick bro.

Nice, government sanctioned "adventure"

It's about showing up.
    Wow. I don't even know what to say to this reaction. I'll go ride at Rockville and cogitate.
    I don't rattle.