Hella Olde

Mercury News anti-bike comment section in article about Mayor being run down.

As you may have heard, the SJ Mayor was run down by an SUV while cycling the other day. Many of the comments following the Merc's article are a reminder of the entitled ignorance of the vocal remnants of the Cars-First community.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/01/...ile-bicycling/

3rd Coolest
    That comment board is pretty cut throat. Pretty sad. Cars are scary.

mtbr member
    Not quite as awful as Marin IJ articles, but still gross.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Pretty sad.
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

Dropshot Champ!
    That's horrible, those injuries sound pretty severe.

Carl Guardino (the friend mentioned in the article) isn't just the president and CEO of the Silicon Valley Leadership Group, he sits on some pretty high power State commissions as well. He's a pretty avid cyclist and runner, and seems to have some decent pull within the Senate. Be interesting if this spurs additional legislation.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    I sold my 6 road bikes, looking for discs and wider tires on the next one.

But stuff like this makes delay my comeback to asphalt.

Someone said the mayor was on his way to climb Sierra road. That kinda means he is a legit/experienced rider.
    IPA will save America

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

Someone said the mayor was on his way to climb Sierra road. That kinda means he is a legit/experienced rider.
    Read that as well. At least it wasn't a hit and run. The motorist was cooperating with the police.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

I've never been a hardcore roadie, but having an adventure bike with >35c tires and discs means you can ride dirt to minimize risk and pavement when it makes sense. I do a super fun ride around Tam that lets me climb up via a mellow dirt route, then bomb down Panoramic/Highway 1. Plenty of options to mix things up depending on traffic and conditions. And there are some great tires that do well on gravel without killing on-road performance (Gravel King SKs, for one).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Read that as well. At least it wasn't a hit and run. The motorist was cooperating with the police.
    There is no reason to "hit and run" a cyclist. I am not sure it's even illegal to just run them over when ever you want.

The two headlines I have seen on social media said he was in a bike accident, and that he collided with a car.
    Last edited by sfgiantsfan; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:10 PM.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Nobody
    I read the article, but not seeing any comments section. Maybe my browser or I need to be logged in?

I ride primarily mountain, but do occasional road rides on city streets and mountain roads and have never had any problem with motorists. I ride very offensively and just expect that there will be conflict with cars. I know a lot of coworkers and wife's coworkers who have been struck by cars, almost always during commute hours. So they choose to either ride different routes or no longer commute on a bike. It is simply a dangerous proposition.

I won't be popular here for saying this, but I am completely annoyed with all the share the road BS that gives right of way to cyclists and I am one of those cyclists. Seeing roadies 3 abreast on San Jose Soquel Rd not letting a train of cars go by just infuriates me. When I hear a car coming behind me on a mountain road and have room to let them pass, I get the **** out of the way. The purpose of the road is for car traffic, not bicyclists. Just this past weekend, on my way back from hiking in Sam Macdonald Park, I was driving 84 through La Honda and some turd was riding out in the traffic lane while his wife was inside a section of an 8 ft wide shoulder. I don't know why people feel the need to do this. Just makes me want to bump them for being ignorant.

My comments obviously have nothing to do with the Mayor or his accident, and it's terrible to hear when someone gets injured. Just my thoughts on why cyclists in the Bay Area get a bad rap for wanting full charge of the road and I have lived here my whole life, riding bikes all over the place. Like I said, I could not read the comments, but I do understand why people get enraged over the share the road principle. If there is a clean shoulder or a bike lane, use it. If not, assume the risk and realize your on a motorway, not a path or trail.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

default title
    Mar 2008
    Shami's Unpopular opinion will be unpopular and has some poor assumptions on what the California vehicle code is. Shoulders are not roadway. Do not cross double yellows. Any vehicle moving slower than normal speed of traffic needs to pull off in a turn out when there are 5 vehicles behind.

CA vehicle code 21202.
    (a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:
    (1) When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.
    (2) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
    (3) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes) that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge, subject to the provisions of Section 21656. For purposes of this section, a ďsubstandard width laneĒ is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.
    (4) When approaching a place where a right turn is authorized.
    (b) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway of a highway, which highway carries traffic in one direction only and has two or more marked traffic lanes, may ride as near the left-hand curb or edge of that roadway as practicable.

21760. (a) This section shall be known and may be cited as the Three Feet for Safety Act.
    (b) The driver of a motor vehicle overtaking and passing a bicycle that is proceeding in the same direction on a highway shall pass in compliance with the requirements of this article applicable to overtaking and passing a vehicle, and shall do so at a safe distance that does not interfere with the safe operation of the overtaken bicycle, having due regard for the size and speed of the motor vehicle and the bicycle, traffic conditions, weather, visibility, and the surface and width of the highway.
    (c) A driver of a motor vehicle shall not overtake or pass a bicycle proceeding in the same direction on a highway at a distance of less than three feet between any part of the motor vehicle and any part of the bicycle or its operator.
    (d) If the driver of a motor vehicle is unable to comply with subdivision (c), due to traffic or roadway conditions, the driver shall slow to a speed that is reasonable and prudent, and may pass only when doing so would not endanger the safety of the operator of the bicycle, taking into account the size and speed of the motor vehicle and bicycle, traffic conditions, weather, visibility, and surface and width of the highway.

21656:
    On a two-lane highway where passing is unsafe because of traffic in the opposite direction or other conditions, any vehicle proceeding upon the highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time, behind which five or more vehicles are formed in line, shall turn off the roadway at the nearest place designated as a turnout by signs erected by the authority having jurisdiction over the highway, or wherever sufficient area for a safe turnout exists, in order to permit the vehicles following it to proceed.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    ...I was driving 84 through La Honda and some turd was riding out in the traffic lane while his wife was inside a section of an 8 ft wide shoulder. I don't know why people feel the need to do this. Just makes me want to bump them for being ignorant.
    What the ****, man. That's absolutely terrible.

mtbr member
    So Shamis, rides aggressively, expects problems with cars, doesn't have problems with cars, and doesn't think cyclists should be in the road, and wants to hit cyclists with his car.

Can anyone make sense of this rambling idiotic post?
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Then there's this gem

...The purpose of the road is for car traffic, not bicyclists..

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    What the ****, man. That's absolutely terrible.
    We all have the responsibility of being courteous of others using roads and trails. If I'm hiking a trail and a biker is approaching from either direction, I get out of the way to be courteous. I can easily turn and stop or jump off trail to make room for he/she to enjoy their ride without stopping.

That guy on 84 had almost an entire lane width of shoulder to get the **** out of the way for the train of 10+ cars that were stacked up while he climbed at 5 miles per hour out in the lane of traffic. The woman he was riding with, moved into the giant clean shoulder because she didn't need to be in the roadway.

I have never bumped or made contact with a pedestrian or a rider because they annoyed me, but there have been plenty of times it's crossed my mind. It's not that difficult to be courteous and mindful of other users.

Keep in mind that I am a rider of both trail and road. I just actually care about my actions and others around me...

mtbr member
    Left hooked, ow

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    When Shamis said this: "I won't be popular here for saying this...", he was correct.

The rest... Just, No!

I have never been such an impatient a-hole as to even remotely consider the possibility of hitting someone on a bike. Whether they're breaking the law (and yes, sometimes they are) or not.

Should cyclists follow all the rules of the road? Hell yeah! But Jesus Christ... the bike is the inanimate object out there, the person on it is someone's brother, sister, husband, wife, child, etc. The bike doesn't ride itself and the human is pretty fragile. Once you've objectified the cyclist as something other than human, you've crossed a line.

As someone responsible for shepherding 1200 cyclists (people) safely through annual, organized rides, I see too much of this bullshit to not comment. Everyone, just slow down, get off your phone and pay attention to those around you. Nothing is worth hurting or killing someone's loved one because they didn't move over soon enough for your liking.

mtbr member
    Once you've objectified the cyclist as something other than human, you've crossed a line.
    Works both ways. "The car cut him off."

Nobody
    It's laughable that my internal annoyance has manifested into me out looking to rundown cyclists and hurt people.

Let me make this clear, again. I have never made contact with a cyclist or even buzzed them. This is my internal annoyance loop that does not manifest to reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csLgaK20SSY

Dropshot Champ!
    It's laughable that my internal annoyance has manifested into me out looking to rundown cyclists and hurt people.

Let me make this clear, again. I have never made contact with a cyclist or even buzzed them. This is my internal annoyance loop that does not manifest to reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csLgaK20SSY
    I think that's the issue though. I polled a few friends, my wife, and my co-workers after seeing your post.

It's something we'd never even thought about. Being a few minutes late somewhere is fine. I've never once had the thought to bump another cyclist.

The fact that you have seems alarming to me.

Wēk SŰs
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    I think that's the issue though. I polled a few friends, my wife, and my co-workers after seeing your post.

It's something we'd never even thought about. Being a few minutes late somewhere is fine. I've never once had the thought to bump another cyclist.

The fact that you have seems alarming to me.
    Happy New Year, man!

Indeed, alarming.

One other fact, that most people aren't aware of. The right hand turn is a merge with the bike lane. When the line goes dashed, merge. Many drivers do not know this fact. Bikers too, are not aware of it. I have daily examples of this, when I commute to work. Cyclists go around the car that's in the lane, to hop in front, and turn right. That's just asshattery. Cars also allow bikes to pass on the right, when turning right, and that's also incorrect behavior. Merge into the cycling lane and people turning right need to merge.

Moderator Moderator
    I always see kids riding home from school running through stop signs with helmets dangling from their bars. If I know the kid, I always call Mrs. Jones and good neighbor Sam to let them know what their kids are doing while they are working 9 to 5.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Timely and extremely disturbing!

https://abc7news.com/video-shows-aft...-teen/5011009/

OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) --
    Graphic cellphone video shows the aftermath of a hit-and-run in which a 14-year-old on a bike in Oakland was struck by a car and dragged four blocks.

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Yes, that was clear. If you read what I wrote, you'll see that I specifically said "remotely consider the thought of..."

No one has accused you of actually acting on the thought.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Happy New Year, man!

Indeed, alarming.

One other fact, that most people aren't aware of. The right hand turn is a merge with the bike lane. When the line goes dashed, merge. Many drivers do not know this fact. Bikers too, are not aware of it. I have daily examples of this, when I commute to work. Cyclists go around the car that's in the lane, to hop in front, and turn right. That's just asshattery. Cars also allow bikes to pass on the right, when turning right, and that's also incorrect behavior. Merge into the cycling lane and people turning right need to merge.
    You nailed it with the merge/dotted line distinction. Most people have no clue and just drive over the white line.

Nobody
    Points taken and I apologize for offending or alarming anyone. Has nothing to do with being in a hurry. The decline of common courtesy and entitlement is an annoyance to me. This certainly does not reflect on the majority of cyclists.

I certainly didn't mean to derail to OP's topic, but it triggered a pet peeve that I decided to share.

Members who I have met and ridden with me know I'm not a psychopath!

mtbr member
    The simple truth is that 40% of people suck. Those comments are just more evidence.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Moderator Moderator
    Points taken and I apologize for offending or alarming anyone. Has nothing to do with being in a hurry. The decline of common courtesy and entitlement is an annoyance to me. This certainly does not reflect on the majority of cyclists.

I certainly didn't mean to derail to OP's topic, but it triggered a pet peeve that I decided to share.

Members who I have met and ridden with me know I'm not a psychopath!
    Well done, Shamis.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Shamis, I apologize if my response seemed a tad harsh. As I said, I provide SAG support for a large group ride every September and I can't tell you how many run ins I've had with frustrated motorists. Now, I also talk to all the riders that I can and encourage them to ride single file and be aware of how their riding styles are effecting other users on the road.

In truth, I appreciate your honesty sharing your frustration. It really illustrates how many people feel. The fleeting thought of, "get these damn guys off the road." Is fairly common, I think.

I think we all need to just keep things in perspective. The actual time delays by cyclist to motorists are quite small, but it's easy to lose sight of that when you're in a hurry and being impeded.

singletrack bound
    gave up road riding years ago.....which by the way back then was primarily all the riding I was doing at that time. I do admit missing the big gear cadence workout but......

somehow it seemed to coincide with smartphones in everyone's possession.

Although I do ride road 2 + mi. from home to and from the trailhead now but most all of it is through small neighborhood roads.

Nobody
    Shamis, I apologize if my response seemed a tad harsh. As I said, I provide SAG support for a large group ride every September and I can't tell you how many run ins I've had with frustrated motorists. Now, I also talk to all the riders that I can and encourage them to ride single file and be aware of how their riding styles are effecting other users on the road.

In truth, I appreciate your honesty sharing your frustration. It really illustrates how many people feel. The fleeting thought of, "get these damn guys off the road." Is fairly common, I think.

I think we all need to just keep things in perspective. The actual time delays by cyclist to motorists are quite small, but it's easy to lose sight of that when you're in a hurry and being impeded.
    No worries. Would that ride in September be Best Buddies? I have participated in that ride multiple times.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    ^^^ It's the Tour de Fuzz, in Sonoma County. It's a benefit ride for the Sonoma County Law Enforcement Chaplaincy Service. If you're ever interested, here's the link: www.tourdefuzz.org

It's a great ride.

Trail Gnome
    When Shamis said this: "I won't be popular here for saying this...", he was correct.

The rest... Just, No!

I have never been such an impatient a-hole as to even remotely consider the possibility of hitting someone on a bike. Whether they're breaking the law (and yes, sometimes they are) or not.

Should cyclists follow all the rules of the road? Hell yeah! But Jesus Christ... the bike is the inanimate object out there, the person on it is someone's brother, sister, husband, wife, child, etc. The bike doesn't ride itself and the human is pretty fragile. Once you've objectified the cyclist as something other than human, you've crossed a line.

As someone responsible for shepherding 1200 cyclists (people) safely through annual, organized rides, I see too much of this bullshit to not comment. Everyone, just slow down, get off your phone and pay attention to those around you. Nothing is worth hurting or killing someone's loved one because they didn't move over soon enough for your liking.
    Shamis is not that out of line...those same thoughts cross my mind, when Iím driving behind 4 roadies riding four abreast down the middle of the road...four abreast thru stop signs...f#@king idiots. I ride road too; stop at stop signs, get the eff out of the way of cars, and pin it downhill.
    Now, if anyone was to actually bump a cyclist with their car...thatís way out of line. Iíve been hit twice; once was a graze, and the other was a concussion. Be careful out there.