Menso is racing in Uruguay right now.- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

Menso is racing in Uruguay right now.

I was looking for him at Sea Otter but he is racing international right now. We knew him when. I hope he's logging his Strava feet right now

Mom and dad raced Sea Otter btw. Why is that a family so anti couch potatoes?

Yeah! 91 miles, 4k feet in under 4 hours.
    http://app.strava.com/komchallenge/m.../results/april

results: http://www.edosof.com/2011/uruguay/r...bro-etapa5.pdf

1º 256 ITA19870922 MALAGUTI, Alessandro ORA HOTELS 03:19:47 10 ''
    2º 212 COL19840708 PARRA, Edwin BOYACÁ ORGUL. AMERICA 0 6 ''
    3º 183 ESP19880219 MORA, Sebastián UPV-BANCAJA a 01:04 4 ''
    u 4º 74 URU19770108 LARRAMA, Christian C.C. DOLORES a 01:04
    u 5º 101 URU19790901 SUAREZ, Alvaro C.C. MAROÑAS a 01:08
    6º 172 ARG19810713 DIAZ, Dario C.C. VILLA TERESA a 01:08
    7º 255 ARG19851207 RICHEZE, Mauro Abel ORA HOTELS a 01:08
    8º 216 COL19880718 ULLOA, Camilo BOYACÁ ORGUL. AMERICA a 01:08
    u 9º 72 URU19750709 SASSO, Mateo C.C. DOLORES a 01:08
    s 10º 191 USA19900906 IGGY, Igancio S23 WONDERFUL PISTACHIOS a 01:08
    s 11º 194 USA19890311 SAMAAN, Collin S23 WONDERFUL PISTACHIOS a 01:08
    s 12º 193 USA19890127 DE JONG, Menso T S23 WONDERFUL PISTACHIOS a 01:08
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by fc; 04-20-2011 at 07:51 AM.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    GO MENSO!!!!

didn't he hold the white jersey for a stage?...i know he's close if he didn't
    Click Here for Forum Rules

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
    He's gone to the "DARK SIDE"!!!!!!!

Master of the unintentional track stand.

Paper or plastic?
    Is he a full time pro now?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

It's the axle
    And he's like 8 feet tall!

How can he be so big and so amazing on a bike. I love it. Go Menso!!!
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Is he a full time pro now?
    I hope not, he needs to graduate first (which has been delayed a bit).

After stage 5, he's 23rd in the general classification and 2nd in the U23 competition, only 23 seconds back, and the fastest American. He got the white jersey one day because the 1st place U23 rider also had the most sprint points and that takes precedent.

The individual time trial scheduled for today has been postponed due to torrential rains and lightning.

Still 4 more days to go before he's back in Montevideo.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

mtbr member
    Amazing!!!

Dare I say, "I remember when....."

Just amazing!
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

ballbuster

Wow... Go Menso!!

Living the dream, man!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Crazy day down in Uruguay. All I can say is that I hope cooler heads will prevail and today's results will be cancelled.

Update from Menso's facebook:

Today was the most ridiculous day of my cycling career. I can say that I am now truly a pro cyclist, as I have been party to a rider protest. They postponed the ITT this morning due to rain and lightning, so when we all showed up for the RR under the same conditions the riders protested. 10 guys took off, and 15 minutes later we went off after them

We never caught them after going full gas paceline for 100k in two hours and splitting the field in three, so we all took our helmets off and stopped short of the finish line and went to our hotel. Funniest **** ever.
    Wonderful Pistachios were kinda bystanders in the whole deal because of the language issue, so we just went along with the majority so as not to get stabbed or something in the next 5 days.
    But now there is talk that the entire field will be DQ'd and sent home. Which sucks because they started the race against UCI rules (lightning all around us!) after not letting us start the TT in the morning for the same reason, and not telling us until an hour after we were supposed to start that. I, of course, was ready to go no matter the conditions, but we had no choice but to go along with the majority
    It's going to be a sad race if the 30ish guys that crossed the line are the only ones left. Every leader's jersey (yellow, white, green, red, etc.) was the large group of us who stopped at the finish. FYI, the crowds applauded our sportsmanship as we waited in the cold rain for all the dropped riders to arrive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Cool heads are hard to find in Uruguay. Here's the race director's decision:

Defiant commisaire says race will continue

In what was one of the most unusual decisions by race organisers in recent cycling history, 66, of a total of 96 riders, were disqualified from the Vuelta Ciclista del Uruguay after protesting about poor weather conditions.

The protest was lead by a number of senior riders and team managers who had raised concerns about storms that had suspended the morning’s time trial. Organisers of the race however argued that conditions had improved sufficiently in the afternoon for the second half of the day’s stage to go ahead, a 118 km ride from Salto to Pasayundo.

After a long standoff between the protesting riders and the organisers, the head of the race, Victor Hugo Ramírez informed participants that the stage would not be suspended, and that riders refusing to race would be disqualified.

At this point, the 30 riders who chose not to take part in the protest started the stage and the 66 protesters were, as threatened to be, disqualified.

Ramírez was unsympathetic to the riders and defended his decision continue with the stage. He also refused to reinstate the riders who had refused to race.

"The tour will continue for those who raced today and were given official results," said Ramírez.

"There will be no reverse in the decision to disqualify the riders, nor to suspend the stage."

The decision’s stubbornness will come as a surprise to many pundits, particularly considering that a number of the GC favourites were part of the protest, notably Uruguayan Ivan Cline.

Iggy Silva (Trek-Livestrong) was bemused by the commissaries decision.

"Craziness today in Uruguay," he commented via Twitter.

"They cancelled the morning stage for the same reason. There’s clearly no consistency with the UCI."

With four stages remaining it seems that only a significantly depleted field will finish the 2011 Vuelta Ciclista del Uruguay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Damn, that SUCKS. Bummer for him, what a joke

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Update from Cycling news:

Disqualified riders, including the leaders of all major classifications in the Vuelta Ciclista del Uruguay were forced to ride the stage through the extreme weather conditions anyway, after official buses and transports had left the riders stranded at the start for stage 6b.

Speaking to Cyclingnews Menso de Jong (Wonderful Pistachios Pro Cycling) recounted the way the day's events unfolded.

"We still rode the entire course at 50+ km/hr, after the race promoter sent the buses ahead of us, leaving no way to get to the next hotel. We had already been checked out of the previous hotel - so we had no choice," an exasperated de Jong said.

"We then stopped at 3k to go and waited for all the people who were dropped. Twenty minutes later we rolled to the 1k to go, stopped and were cheered by the locals for our sportsmanship. We stopped again 10m from the line, surrounded by cheering locals who fed us and gave us post-race cokacola."

"Keep in mind that it was raining the whole race and we had been standing around shivering for almost half an hour at this point. Once all the stragglers arrived, we avoided the line and went to the hotel."

De Jong was extremely critical of the flip-flop decision to cancel the morning's stage but go ahead with the afternoon's event.

"We were ready to race at 8 in the morning but in the same conditions later in the day they say we have to race," he explained.

De Jong's criticism mirrors his teammate's, Iggy Silva, who tweeted about the strange decision to race earlier in the day.

Totally, and to the max.
    Wow, that's complete bull*****. Either go on with the race or postpone the stage. The race is essentially over if the majority of the field is DQ'd. Good on the protesters for sticking together and acting like gentlemen. I'm guessing the governing body will step in here and set things straight, but if not, this Victor Hugo guy is going to be feeling some heat pretty soon.

It's the axle
    In a way it's almost an honor to be part of an experience like that, being this may be one of the last races of it's kind with rough edges still attached. You just don't see that in the modern world any longer.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Sounds like the race promoter trying to hide their own incompetence.

Perhaps if the race promoting gig doesn't work out, he could get a job at Performance.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Wow, wild stuff!!!
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

190lbs of climber
    Yup, this ***** is for real. I was sitting pretty in the GC as well and ready to moved up to the top 10 after the 32km ITT. Gregg--I totally agree with you.
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

fc
    head minion Administrator
    I don't know what to say. You're not in America.

What next?

fc

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It's kinda awesome and kinda not. lol To experience something like that has to be pretty intense. Good job though Menso either way you represented yourself well. I look forward to hearing more first hand stories as the season goes on.

Chris

MarkyMark
    So the race is more-or-less over? Just who are the promoter and director and what do they think they've accomplished with this stunt? Sorry to hear that you were doing well and moving up in the standings when this occurred.

These guys really aren't doing a good job of attracting teams for next year (or ever). No one goes to bike races to see promoter and director crazy antics. I'm glad the top riders, you included, took a stand and protested when the promoter and director put their health at risk.

I saw the Wonderful Pistachios and a few of the riders at Sea Otter on Sunday. How'd they do in the races there?

Members who have read this thread: 0