mtbr member
    May 2010

Mendocino Vaca rental & ride

Visiting Mendocino, CA in early June. Can anyone recommend a shop to rent bikes from and some good trails to ride? I saw Bike Magazine had a thing about Jackson Demonstration Forest. Is there good beginner/intermediate biking there that my wife might be able to enjoy? (she likes less technical, more flowy stuff).

mtbr member

Mendocino Coast riding

Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    Visiting Mendocino, CA in early June. Can anyone recommend a shop to rent bikes from and some good trails to ride? I saw Bike Magazine had a thing about Jackson Demonstration Forest. Is there good beginner/intermediate biking there that my wife might be able to enjoy? (she likes less technical, more flowy stuff).
    Conditions in early June will be perfect! Catch-A-Canoe (707 937-0273) at Stanford INN in Mendocino rents Cannondale bikes. They have a number of hardtails plus, two full suspension bikes, a medium and a large.

We have 120 miles of great trails here where even beginners can have fun. Big River Road will take you to the Woodlands and back for a 20 mile excursion. For single track trails in the Jackson (JDSF), buy a copy of "Mountain Biking the Mendocino Coast and Beyond". PM me for details.

Unfortunately, none of the trails are signed except in the Mendocino Woodlands State Park, so having a good guide book and map are essential. GPS devices are spotty due to tree density in the JDSF and State Parks. Trailforks.com has a great app., but is subject to signal interruptions. Some GPS devices can lose signals up to 20%.

Hope this is helpful.