mtbr member

Mendocino Coast Fat Tire Festival

We're putting the final touches on our first annual Mendocino Coast Fat Tire Festival which opens October 7th-9th. Looking forward to having lots of folks coming to enjoy the great riding that is becoming legendary here. Its about sharing our trails with other riders who share our common values. Too much bad news over shadowing the great things that happen in life and one of those is riding the trails for the upcoming festival.
    The first event is the Poker ride starting at 4:30 PM Friday (Oct 7th) and held along the coastal haul road in Ft. Bragg. This will be an easy ride starting from the Ft. Bragg Town Hall. A great event for famlies as well who want to play some poker and get some scenic riding in. Great prizes to go along with spectacular views of the Pacific coastline. The event includes a 3 card (4 mile), a 5 card (8.5 miles), and a 7 card (11.5 mile) ride. All mileages are round trip. Sign up now to avoid the event day rush. Go to our website for details: http://www.mendocinocoastfattirefestival.com/
    Sign up for this event and the next two days of fun racing Jughandle Juggernaut (Saturday) and the 1/2 and full Mountain Metric bike rides (Sunday). Hope to see you all here for this great weekend of fun riding and making new firends. See Map for poker ride.

Coastal Rider
    Nov 2006

Don't Forget about the movie after the ride!

After the ride on Friday the movie Pedal Driven will be shown at Fort Bragg Town Hall. This movie brings up some of the challenges mountain bikers face gaining access to trails and some possible solutions.

Levi Early
    too bad this wasnt one week later, that is the weekend i am relocating back to the coast!

fading away
    Would love to make this… and bring my proper fat bike—Surly Pugsley—anything else is just a bike, from a “Fat Tire” perspective. My dad lives up near there (Gualala), but that weekend ain’t gonna’ work fer me.
    in this dying light

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

We have the Fattest Bike

The 59er Ibis mojo!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mendocino Coast Fat Tire Festival-pic_0046.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nugjug View Post
    the 59er Ibis
    Single speed at that
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Single speed at that
    Yo Brew....you gonna make it? See you there!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Marin rider
    Anyone do their 1/2 and full Mountain Metric bike rides before?

How tough are they? I'm a 40yo, above average mtb-er trying to gauge these rides.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

First Year for this Event

The half would be your cup of tea,It's not easy and the whole is tuff! It is a supported ride so you can go light and count on MCC to keep you fueled. The half is most of our best stuff and I'm sure you will be enjoy our woods. The race on saturday is on the same coarse as the Caspar Classic and was called the Best race coarse in California by BikeWente! Anybody who wants to preride any of this let me know I'll show it off.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    nugjug,

A group of us are heading to Paradise Royal on the 7th. We are planning on hanging out for the festival on the 9th. Are there going to be vendor booths and, in case we don't sign up for the metric ride, are the other ride options available?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Yes! It's a Festival

There is lots of ride options,even during the event. PR rocks but we are a lot closer and you could spend more time on the saddle instead of driving!

mtbr member
    the 59er Ibis
    Looks flexy ....... :-)

Marin rider
    Thank you for the suggestion.

The half would be your cup of tea,It's not easy and the whole is tuff! It is a supported ride so you can go light and count on MCC to keep you fueled. The half is most of our best stuff and I'm sure you will be enjoy our woods. The race on saturday is on the same coarse as the Caspar Classic and was called the Best race coarse in California by BikeWente! Anybody who wants to preride any of this let me know I'll show it off.

ST HO
    Jul 2010
    Looking forward to riding the fat tire fest..including the movies.
    Anyone riding the coast tomorrow (Fri 9/23)?

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    nugjug,

A group of us are heading to Paradise Royal on the 7th. We are planning on hanging out for the festival on the 9th. Are there going to be vendor booths and, in case we don't sign up for the metric ride, are the other ride options available?
    Ok, I know PR has been written up in a few magazines, but TRUST me on this one. Stay on the Mendo Coast and ride the trails these guys have been building in the redwoods. They blow PR right off the map. I will never go to PR again. Waste of time. A lot of time at that. There's nothing out there, nothing but the loop. Unless you're into hiking/camping then it might be worth the trip to camp right there on the trail. Ride one day. That's all there is to ride, one 1/2 day of riding worth. The next day hike down the ridge to the ocean, hang out, and hike back up. Pack car, drive ten hours home. s u x in my book. Oh, and you are riding in about ten 4th generation growth redwoods on one mile of PR. Yippee......The Caspar area riding you are under the big trees 90% of the time. Makes for some very fun dirt to ride.

disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with any of the Mendocino Cyclists or the Fat Tire Festival. I'm just lucky enough to have family that lives out there and I have been able to ride these trails the past 6-7 years and they just keep growing in length, and multiplying rapidly.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

fading away
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    Ok, I know PR has been written up in a few magazines, but TRUST me on this one. Stay on the Mendo Coast and ride the trails these guys have been building in the redwoods. They blow PR right off the map. I will never go to PR again. Waste of time. A lot of time at that. There's nothing out there, nothing but the loop. Unless you're into hiking/camping then it might be worth the trip to camp right there on the trail. Ride one day. That's all there is to ride, one 1/2 day of riding worth. The next day hike down the ridge to the ocean, hang out, and hike back up. Pack car, drive ten hours home. s u x in my book. Oh, and you are riding in about ten 4th generation growth redwoods on one mile of PR. Yippee......The Caspar area riding you are under the big trees 90% of the time. Makes for some very fun dirt to ride.

disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with any of the Mendocino Cyclists or the Fat Tire Festival. I'm just lucky enough to have family that lives out there and I have been able to ride these trails the past 6-7 years and they just keep growing in length, and multiplying rapidly.
    Google Page Ranking? Ich nicht Unterrichtet.
    in this dying light

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Google Page Ranking? Ich nicht Unterrichtet.

uhhhhh....what?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Dang I was out of town!

jsheldon If your still here Sat or Sunday I'll be more than happy to show you around....Nugjug PM me

menace to myself & others
    Aug 2005
    Something like a dozen or two members of the Sheila Moon team and friends and hangers-on will be there. Looking forward to some swooping through the woods!

Coastal Rider
    Nov 2006

No Mendocino Metric Ride

This is a real bummer but because of an ongoing manhunt east of Fort Bragg, Mendocino Search and Rescue will not be able to set up aid stations for the Mendocino Metric Ride as planned. The 66 mile ride was to have over 11,000 feet of climbing!

All other events are to take place.

The Headlands Poker Ride will be starting from Fort Bragg City Hall on Friday October 7th, registration open at 3:00 PM. Poker prizes 5:45. The move Peddle Driven will be shown at 6:30.

The Jughandle Juggernaut Race will be starting at the Caspar Community Center on Saturday October 8th, registration open at 8:00 AM. The move LifeCycles will be shown at noon. Race awards at 1:00 PM. Food and Fun all day!

Sunday October 9th at Caspar Community Center the moves LifeCycles will be shown at 2:00 PM, 3 Minute Gaps at 4:00. Food, and Fun all day!

Unsupported group rides will also be lead on Sunday leaving and returning to the Caspar Community Center throughout the day.

The Mendocino County Sheriff assures us the manhunt is now far north\east of all planned Mendocino Fat Tire Festivals events. I hope we will be celebrating the capture of the individual suspected of two murders near Fort Bragg at the Fat Tire Fest!

Proud lame eBiker
    Ok, so let's just say someone was wanting to go ride 30 miles self supported, but guided, on Sunday....about approximately what time might that person want to happen to pass buy the Community Center?
    What about if another random person decided to ride 60miles? Might he also bump into some others wanting to do the same? I wonder what time other people might be leaving for said 'rides in the forest'?

Just asking, nothing official....

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Clutton View Post
    This is a real bummer but because of an ongoing manhunt east of Fort Bragg, Mendocino Search and Rescue will not be able to set up aid stations for the Mendocino Metric Ride as planned. The 66 mile ride was to have over 11,000 feet of climbing!

All other events are to take place.

The Headlands Poker Ride will be starting from Fort Bragg City Hall on Friday October 7th, registration open at 3:00 PM. Poker prizes 5:45. The move Peddle Driven will be shown at 6:30.

The Jughandle Juggernaut Race will be starting at the Caspar Community Center on Saturday October 8th, registration open at 8:00 AM. The move LifeCycles will be shown at noon. Race awards at 1:00 PM. Food and Fun all day!

Sunday October 9th at Caspar Community Center the moves LifeCycles will be shown at 2:00 PM, 3 Minute Gaps at 4:00. Food, and Fun all day!

Unsupported group rides will also be lead on Sunday leaving and returning to the Caspar Community Center throughout the day.

The Mendocino County Sheriff assures us the manhunt is now far north\east of all planned Mendocino Fat Tire Festivals events. I hope we will be celebrating the capture of the individual suspected of two murders near Fort Bragg at the Fat Tire Fest!

Marin rider
    Is the Half Metric still taking place with support?

mtbr dismember

Great riding!

...Stay on the Mendo Coast and ride the trails these guys have been building in the redwoods. They blow PR right off the map. ....
    Great riding up there and great guides to take you around! Lots of photos here.

Coastal Rider
    Nov 2006

It's looking bad for the Fat Tire Fest

The situation here has the whole community in a funk.
    The Mendocino Fat Tire Committee will most likely cancel all events planned for the Caspar Community Center at their meeting tomorrow. The Headlands Poker Ride from the Fort Bragg City Hall should still be on for Friday.
    I would like to lead rides Saturday and Sunday meeting 10 AM at the Caspar Scales. Plan on a 4-5 hr self supported ride.

Proud lame eBiker
    Thought they just got fingerprints of the crazy guy on a cabin 10miles outside Willits? He aint anywhere near Fort Bragg/Caspar at this point! I'm riding no matter. See you there!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    whatever happened to the tour de skunk? that was a good time

mtbr member
    Im all signed up for the metric century ride, and my girlfriend is signed up for the 35 miler. So whats the deal with a potential cancellation? Even got the hotel booked!
    Ibis Cycles
    www.ibiscycles.com

Coastal Rider
    Nov 2006

I will lead a Ride on Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by slowdave View Post
    whatever happened to the tour de skunk? that was a good time
    The promoter for the Tour de Skunk had issues with the train operators. He tried trucking everyone out but it was a big hassle.
    By the way the area where the train dropped off riders is now the center of the manhunt.

Quote Originally Posted by peletonnissen View Post
    Im all signed up for the metric century ride, and my girlfriend is signed up for the 35 miler. So whats the deal with a potential cancellation? Even got the hotel booked!
    Don't worry Mendocino Coast Cyclists will lead some great rides. I will lead a 4-5 hr 30-35 mile ride on Saturday (if the race is cancelled) and Sunday, meeting 10 AM at the Caspar Scales (Rd 500 @ Rd 600). Others club members will lead longer and shorter rides. Bring your own food and drink and we'll have a blast!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Ya darn Tootin

We know the drill!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mendocino Coast Fat Tire Festival-pic_0314.jpg  

Custom User Title
    "Fort Bragg killings suspect in reported shootout"

in the town(?) of Northspur...

Fort Bragg killings suspect in reported shootout

It's the axle
    Sadly, I don't think this guy is going to let this end peacefully.

It's a strange situation, as riding out there has been a bit nervous. And I'll take a bullet before I stop riding!! Not to mention this week there were dozens of armed officers on my ranch after someone thought they saw Bassler here.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

Coastal Rider
    Nov 2006

It is official no Race or Century Ride

Because law enforcement is concerting on the manhunt Mendocino Coast Fat Tire Festival will not hold the Jughandle Juggernaut Race or the Mendocino Metric Ride. Friday's Headlands Poker Ride will be going on as planned.
    Anyone in the area Saturday and Sunday is welcome to ride with me! Rides start at the Caspar Scales (Rd 500 @ Rd 600) 10 AM both days. These are self supported rides so bring food and drink for 4-5 hr/30-35 mile ride.
    Declaimer, Mendocino Coast Fat Tire Festival is in no way responsible for these rides. We are on our own, which actual opens up a lot of trails that the Fest could not use for various reasons.
    No worries about crazy people shooting at you. We will be a long way from that action.

Let's Ride!

It's the axle
    Hello? Bueller?

I was there at 10 am, and nobody was there.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Last edited by norton55; 10-01-2011 at 04:03 PM.

Coastal Rider
    Nov 2006

It's finaly over!

Norton55,
    Thanks for the news!
    I was planning on posting that it would be unfair to hold rides with a remote but possible need for emergency help if someone got lost or hurt. Dealing with a lost mountain biker with a manhunt going on would not have made law enforcement happy.
    We will now be able to ride all our favorite trails with our friends from near and far on October 8th and 9th!

Let's Ride!

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Clutton; 10-01-2011 at 08:55 PM.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Chris,
    I know it's probably a little early, but is there going to be a festival after all?

Coastal Rider
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    Chris,
    I know it's probably a little early, but is there going to be a festival after all?
    It's a long shot but possible the Jughandle race could happen.
    Mendocino Sheriffs will have a lot of things to wrap up. Search and rescue was to help with aide stations for the Mendocino Metric ride so I don't think that's possible at this point.
    I'll post if anything is decided.

Chris

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the update. Just finished listening to the press conference, sounds like they had a shoot to kill order. I feel sorry for the Sac county sheriff deputy's that killed him.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Help us heal!!!!

Ride in the woods with us!

mtbr member
    what are the chances that the supported rides will still go on? Havent received a refund so hoping you guys keep it and put the ride on..... just wishful thinking i suppose.
    Ibis Cycles
    www.ibiscycles.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Meeting monday! Race maybe... Ride for SURE! WE owe you, come up will fix it...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Coming up for sure!!.. hope to ride big on Sunday 10/10.....thanks for your efforts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Sunday 10/9

Coastal Rider
    Nov 2006

Race will be held Saturday!

The Jughandle Juggernaut Mountain Bike Race is happening Saturday Oct 8th Registration at 10, Race starts at 11. Depending on category racers will ride one or two laps on the 10 mile course.
    From Caspar (on Hwy 1 between Mendocino and Ft Bragg) go east on Fern Creek Rd and right on Caspar Orchard Rd stay straight on to the dirt Caspar Logging Rd (look out for the speed bumps!) for about a mile to the race start.
    Fun, food, and drink will be available after the race.

Rides will start on Sunday Oct 9th from the same location as the race. A long ride of 30-35 miles will start at 10, and a short ride of 8-10 miles will start at noon. Both rides will return around 3PM. These rides are self supported so bring your own food and drink.

Headlands Poker Ride Friday Oct 7th. Registration at 3. Ride starts at 4:30. This will be an easy ride starting from the Ft Bragg Town Hall. The move Peddle Driven will be shown at Town Hall after the ride.

Mendocino Coast Fat Tire Festival Website

It's looking like great weather for the weekend!

Let's Ride!

Proud lame eBiker
    Can't wait guys! Going to be a great weekend of celebrating all things DIRT!

Probably going to do the short race Saturday after doing a bit of riding beforehand. Then I'll be back for the 30miler on Sunday. Won't be able to get up there early enough Friday to partake in the HAll Road Poker Run.

The weather couldn't be better. A few days of showers, a few days to soak in makes for some serious Hero Dirt in the Redwoods.

Will there be a movie showing at the Caspar Community Center on Saturday or Sunday?

Coastal Rider
    Nov 2006
    Can't wait guys! Going to be a great weekend of celebrating all things DIRT!

Will there be a movie showing at the Caspar Community Center on Saturday or Sunday?
    Internal14,
    Looking forward to riding with you this weekend. The weather and trail conditions should indeed be perfect!

The films will all be shown at a club members home after the race festivity's Saturday. Maps will be available at the race to get you there.

Chris

MarkyMark
    My GF and I are heading up for this! I know that there's a race on Saturday, but we're not the racer types and would like to get a ride in. We've been up to the Medicino coast before, but it'll be our first time riding in this area.

Any recommendations for a ~20 miler that won't leave us wiped-out for Sunday? I have a Garmin GPS so I should be able to download a route and follow it. If we finish early enough we hope to catch the end of the race and the awards.

Coastal Rider
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMass View Post
    My GF and I are heading up for this! I know that there's a race on Saturday, but we're not the racer types and would like to get a ride in. We've been up to the Medicino coast before, but it'll be our first time riding in this area.

Any recommendations for a ~20 miler that won't leave us wiped-out for Sunday? I have a Garmin GPS so I should be able to download a route and follow it. If we finish early enough we hope to catch the end of the race and the awards.
    Here is a link to a thread with maps and some GPS tracks.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Plenty of other stuff to do Saturday...

Come on up you won't forget this trip. Hero dirt ,on new to you trails,poker ride ,racing, epic rides for all levels and we will bring out the Mendo Hospitality, potluck and free beer!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mendocino Coast Fat Tire Festival-pic_0071.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'm heading up and can't wait. I'm like MarkMass and want to ride Sat but don't plan to race. Should we meet up at the race start on Saturday if we're just looking for a group ride? Any particular time?

Thanks for this opportunity!

MarkyMark
    Chris and Nugjug, we're looking forward to this! The write-ups and Roos maps in the other thread were perfect. We were looking for ~20 miles on Saturday, but I've already told the GF that this might be an "adventure."

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I will be at the Race the Ridge events in Arcata but it'd be nice if you guys dropped off flyers for these events in Mendo somewhere here in Humboldt. It seems the 2 communities are a bit disjointed but we could all be a big IMBA group to promote trails in both Mendo and Humboldt. I'd love to come down at a later date and check these trails out so please keep posting details and directions. Thanks
    Life is like a ten speed bike. Most of us have
    gears we never use. - Charles Monroe Schulz

mtbr member
    May 2009

details please

OK,

So I think I can get away for weekend - leaving Friday.

Anyone need ride up from east bay in noisey VW vanagon?

Also, have no clue where to meet or camp. Not looking to race but guided singletrack ride and beer sound great! Any suggestions?

The website could use some help and this thread has only added to my confusion.

Hate being needy but I'm lost - just like on the hills

Julie
    Thanks for the updates and maps peoples......

Levi Early
    Come on up you won't forget this trip. Hero dirt ,on new to you trails,poker ride ,racing, epic rides for all levels and we will bring out the Mendo Hospitality, potluck and free beer!
    what trail is this?

Coastal Rider
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tunajuice View Post
    OK,

So I think I can get away for weekend - leaving Friday.

Anyone need ride up from east bay in noisey VW vanagon?

Also, have no clue where to meet or camp. Not looking to race but guided singletrack ride and beer sound great! Any suggestions?

The website could use some help and this thread has only added to my confusion.

Hate being needy but I'm lost - just like on the hills
    Join us Friday at Fort Bragg City Hall on the South/West corner of Main and Loral Streets we will be there until 9PM.
    Or Saturday at Road 500 at Road 600 from Caspar (on Hwy 1 between Mendocino and Ft Bragg) go east on Fern Creek Rd and right on Caspar Orchard Rd stay straight on to the dirt Caspar Logging Rd (look out for the speed bumps!) for about a mile to the race start we will be there until 6PM.
    We will set you up with rides and a place to camp.
    Lets Ride!

mtbr member
    So I drove up from Santa Cruz to check this out. I was originally just going to ride around and check things out but I wound up racing. That is a really fun course.

Thanks for putting this together. I had a great time.

MarkyMark
    Paige and I got back from the Medocino Fat Tire Festival last night. The riding and conditions there were just about perfect (sunny and about 60 deg)! We arrived around 8:30pm Friday night so we missed whatever was happening downtown. We walked around Ft Bragg for a bit and then stopped in the North Coast Brewery for calamari and beers.

We decided on Double Loop for Saturday. It was a bit chilly when we started, but we warmed up nicely. We had RooHarris' map to guide us and the kind folks up there had also posted some temporary signs which helped us confirm where we were. Manly Gulch was awesome! I liked the steep "Moto Cpazy 1 mile" downhill after Big Tree. Gas Cap and Gas Can were a hoot. I don't know/forget the other trail names, but they were fun as well.

We had a couple of small hiccups--

1) We hiked up Jeep Trail from Camp 2 instead of riding up Eagles Roost. It brought us to the same place and I wasn't complaining too much about pushing considering the climbing we still had to do on that trail. We heard that others missed that same turn-off and hiked up just like us. Camp 2 is a nice spot to rest and freshen up with flush toilets and running water.

2) At the bottom of Big Tree trail, we start riding on 700 (?) instead of 720. We got to the 700/730 intersection (Camp 3), realized where we were, and turned back.

We had dinner at Piaza Pizza. It's a small popular joint, but we got there at the right time and grabbed a couple of the last available seats. The people coming in behind us had to wait, but turn-over was steady. We had the Kiltlifter Scotch Ale and Trums (? brewed in Berkeley), proscuitto wrapped figs in red sauce and spinach (delicious), bellini? salad, and grilled chicken calzone w/ pesto, and farmer's pizza. We cross Main St and got dessert-- homemade ice cream. ..Mmmmmm..

We joined the group ride on Sunday morning with about 50 others. Chris was leading. Caspar Crossing North was a super fun downhill that kept you on your toes. Waterbars, ramps, and slick bridges made things especially exciting. We split from the other group, went left, climbed up a fireroad, and did Manly Gulch again. Paige had more fun the 2nd time around. The group was going to go up Eagles Roost to Big Tree, but I was experiencing the Mavic death rattle on my Crossmax rear hub so I had to plan on heading back before my hub died (adjusting the bearing preload didn't help). Jugnug, Paige, and I split from the others. We decided on getting some more riding and headed up Fire Exit. Gunslinger, Ride Through Trees, and the other singletrack down to the Scales were super fun so I'm really glad we didn't take the short way out.

Thanks again to Jugnug for leading us out and showing us the trails that he build. We were aiming for the 35 miler and still got in a good 23+ miles. We'll be sure to contact you before our next trip up.

The MCC hospitality was outstanding and the trails were absolutely amazing. Huge thanks for the passes to the rec center so we could shower--it made us so much more comfortable on the drive home. I've done some trail work I can appreciate the immense amount of time and effort that went into cutting and maintaining all of those trails. The area is immense and I don't think we could have enjoyed ourselves without all of the maps, write ups, and organized rides. RooHarris--thanks again for posting the maps and loop descriptions (I bought your book!).

mtbr member
    May 2009

tunnel of love

So I drove up to Fort Bragg for the “Mendocino Coast Fat Tire Festival.” Took me about 4 hours to get there from the East Bay – about two of those hours on one of the prettiest, most fun drives I’ve experienced (highway 128 and highway 1). That’s close enough to drive up in the morning, ride in the afternoon, get a campsite (several state campgrounds in the area – for $35/night you get a place to camp and access to showers –yahoo!), wake up in the morning for some more riding then be back at home for dinner. And the riding…

We’re talking about green tunnels of love. The trails are obviously built by and for mountain bikers. They reward commitment and faith. The trails required you to believe and just let the bike roll. These weren’t so much trails as they were mountain bike playgrounds. I did not come across rock gardens (thankfully) but that was about the only trail feature not present. From flowing single-track (even the uphill runs seemed to flow) through redwood forests, to pump track sections, to vertical banks, to jumps – it was a playground. One of the trails I rode (Scales) was a 10 mile loop that left me as giddy as a Japanese school girl.

And a shout-out to the Mendocino Coast Cycling Club – these guys were rightly proud of their work and amazingly generous and willing to share the bounty. It was obvious that there was a lot of love put into those trails. Be sure to reach out to these guys before your excursion as trails are poorly marked (I had the locally produced trail guide and still struggled) and there is nothing like a local guide to access all the goodness and light. And personal thanks to NugJug.

The trails up there are just too good to enjoy only once a year. I won’t wait till the 2nd annual “Mendocino Coast Fat Tire Festival” before I visit the area again.

Coastal Rider
    Nov 2006

The Juggernaut Race Results

Pro Class
    152 Matthias Behrends 3:06.16
    150 Cliff Milemann 3:13.08
    153 Garret Tanner 3:52.43
    151 Murphy Mack DNF
    Elite Class;
    107 Jeremy Bardell 1:54.59
    104 Sasha Magee 2:01.39
    105 Curt Kimble 2:05.36
    102 Marc Wheeler 2:09.55
    103 Keith Flood 2:17.11
    101 Kevin Weitz 2:20.40
    Veterans:
    204 Bill Fargo 1:13.21
    205 Dave Wright 1:38.53
    203 Lynn Yelland 1:40.51
    207 Chris Miller 1:46.20
    206 Bob Russell 1:48.37
    202 Bruce Piercy 1:58.11
    201 Benita Zimmerman DNF
    Super Sport:
    261 Anthony Lee 2:02.59
    268 Toby Schultz 2:04.05
    263 Ted Meister 2:6.00
    330 James O'Hare 2:08.36
    267 Snott Kildall 2:09.19
    264 Mike Ankian 2:12.23
    258 Jim Hagen-Smit 2:14.26
    270 Eric Smith 2:15.06
    269 Jake Madden 2:15.68
    262 Davin Pukulis 2:20,45
    252 Paul Garvin 2:21.32
    266 Lee Slone 2:22.52
    260 Lyle Bergerson 2:24.04
    254 Charlie Wirtz 2:42.19
    THE WOMEN
    257 Janet Soule 2:40.53
    256 Charlisa Odom 2:48.22
    265 Mary Woo 3:29.30
    Emily Mc Lanahan 3:39.55
    THOSE WHO ROAD ONLY ONE LAP
    255 Ryan Odom 1:08.28
    250 Marc Hontou 1:25.07
    251 Jay Zimmerman 1:31.29
    253 Juan Martinez 1:50.20
    SPORT CLASS
    318 Corey Dahline 1:09.23
    314 Steven Ixquiac 1:10.59
    320 Dan Smith 1:11.00
    301 Jeremy Hontou 1:14.22
    308 Mathew Blain 1:15.47
    304 Cole Bodrero 1:16.03
    319 Isidro Alvarez 1:24,49
    316 Jeff Sheldon 1:24.40
    311 Christian Knuetter 1:42.51
    310 Patrick McMicholas 1:49.48
    302 Don Bainbridge DNF
    321 Benjamin Kline DNF
    THE WOMEN
    315 Holly Ratcliff 1:22.50
    305 Julie-Anne Wycoff 1:23.58
    309 Mary Bardell 1:24.36
    307 Laurie Starr 1:27.34
    317 Sandra Sheldon 2:25.02
    312 Wendy Loomis 2.:25,26
    VETERAN WOMEN
    203 Lynn Yelland1:40.51
    JUNIOR
    271 Caleb O'Hare 1:15.12

menace to myself & others
    Aug 2005
    This was a fantastic event. I'm guessing that without crazy guys wandering around in the woods the week before, it'll be even better next year.

I just posted my race report on our team site.

Marin rider
    Man, I missed it due to some cycling volunteer activities in Marin but, hope to get up there. Sounds like some awesome riding.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am new to this forum and sooooo bummed I missed this, as I am right over the hill in Ukiah. DOH!!!!

mtbr member
    Yes, great event guys, thanks for putting it on. I had an excellent time riding with you and all the bayareans that made it up there, cant wait to get back up there as soon as I can. For those of you that rode with me, I did unfortunately break my wrist on that high speed crash I had, but its not too bad. In fact, I rode d-ville yesterday and besides being a bit sore when I put on the binders, its overall not too bad. Thanks again and see you all soon! Special thanks to Chris, Roo, Nick and Jim!!
    Ibis Cycles
    www.ibiscycles.com

mnt bike laws of physics
    Would someone be so kind as to post the JJ course?
    I won't be able to make the festival this year (Just found out about it) but would live to ride the 10 mile course and see if it's worth planning on next year.
    Ty

mtbr member

Guidebook

Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post
    Would someone be so kind as to post the JJ course?
    I won't be able to make the festival this year (Just found out about it) but would live to ride the 10 mile course and see if it's worth planning on next year.
    Ty
    Ty,
    We haven't done the festival since the first year. Too much work. If you are interested at all regarding riding the Mendocino coastal area get a copy of the guidebook which has 25 rides in it. All of which will accommodate any level of riding.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by RooHarris View Post
    Ty,
    We haven't done the festival since the first year. Too much work. If you are interested at all regarding riding the Mendocino coastal area get a copy of the guidebook which has 25 rides in it. All of which will accommodate any level of riding.
    Yeah, especially when you're competing with killers at large. Sorry to hear that. I'll look for the guidebook at the bike shop. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post
    Yeah, especially when you're competing with killers at large. Sorry to hear that. I'll look for the guidebook at the bike shop. Thanks

I was out there last week and rented a bike from "Catch a Canoe & Bikes Too" - while there I asked about buying the second edition of biking the Mendocino coast (I have the first) but was told they were sold out and the guide was out of print. Hoping they are wrong about out of print.

BTW, picked up that first edition at the first and apparently only, Mendocino Coast Fat Tire Festival