McKenzie River trail- Mtbr.com
    Spin-stabilized

McKenzie River trail

Has anyone been up there? A couple of friends and I are planning a road trip to ride the MRT in late May. Is it rideable in it's entirety (no snow) in May? Any route suggestion/ campsite suggestions? We are planning on spending on whole weekend there.
    Thanks!

Totally, and to the max.
    Not sure about conditions in May, but when my wife and I went there a few years ago in the first week of June, it was perfect. We stayed here...
    http://www.mckenzieriverinn.com/

Camping was an option, but we preferred the comfort of a bed and shower since we did the trail as an out and back. I'd highly recommend doing it this way. You can park at the ranger station and start from there. It's a 52-mile ride which stops halfway at the headwaters. Can't remember, I think it's called Clear Lake. I'm pretty sure they have camping there. There's a little cafe that serves up some great burgers and fries. You can eat and chill right on the lake, it's beautiful. Just remember that you have another 26 miles to ride!

Dang. Now I'm jonesing for summer.

President of the Internet

Smile Oh, For Sure!

Excellent Trail, I think it was one of Bike mags 10 best! That place is a hoot!

I can't remember the elevation, but I don't think it gets too much snow. I'd suggest calling the McKenzie River Ranger Station and asking them.

I'd also suggest car camping at one of the many beautiful river side camps. There are too many to suggest one. Chilling by Clear Lake would be cool too.

I used to live in Oregon and the few times I did the trail we would shuttle it. Leave one car at the ranger station and one car upriver. The 27 miles will kick your butt! You'd think that since you are going downriver it would be mostly downhill - not the case! You'll pedal most of the time. If you don't have 2 cars you can probably hitch a ride or ride the road back up. The top is technical lava beds and the lower part is fast, loamy singletrack in the woods. Clear lake is awesome! And there is a hugewaterfall too. I'd try to avoid weekends due to the crowds and hikers.

You may want to post additional questions in the Oregon forum.

I might also suggest riding McKenzie one day and then heading to the North Umpqua Trail near Roseburg. Another amazing Oregon river trial. Its 80 miles long and can be ridden in sections. Umpqua also offers great singletrack, excellent river campsites, and Steelhead fishing if you're into that.

Lucky guys, wish I was going with you!

Spin-stabilized

Thanks

Didn't expect to get this much info. Thanks guys!

Members who have read this thread: 0