MBTB8 - Niscene Marks & Soquel Demo Forest - Mon, May 22, 10am- Mtbr.com
    Medium?

MBTB8 - Niscene Marks & Soquel Demo Forest - Mon, May 22, 10am

There are two starting points. Campers will ride from the camp at New Brighton State Beach. We'll pick up stragglers parked along the road at a spot TBD. Suggestions? If you're coming for the day only it doesn't make sense to pay to park at New Brighton. Some locals please suggest a place nearby with a decent amount of space then I'll pin it on the map on the main page:

http://webpages.cwia.com/emartini/mbtb8.html

Edit: We'll do some kind of potluck bbq at the campsite at New Brighton afterwards.

I'll be camping and riding from there. 8^) I've never done this route, and I'm looking forward to it!

Francois said he wants to lead a double-loop. I'm thinking the 'B' group can do Braille, then all the way around, then the bonus track at the top of Buzzard's, then down to the camp for some pot luck BBQ and tequila and maybe swimming if it's hot.
    Last edited by Fast Eddy; 05-11-2006 at 09:39 PM.

29 inches and Pissed Off!
    Easiest is to park outside at the county park. There is a large dirt parking lot everyone can use.
    I'm in.

Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kana
    Easiest is to park outside at the county park. There is a large dirt parking lot everyone can use.
    That's ok if you're leaving afterwards, but if you want to ride into the campground and have a tasty adult beverage afterwards it would be nice to park near New Brighton somewhere.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I agree. This is a good/safe place to park. Never had a problem there in many years. (knock on wood). As soon as you turn left onto Aptos Creek Rd to enter Nisene Marks, looking to the right will be the village markets. The dirt lot right past the village is the spot. Across the street is also the entrance to Aptos Village County Park. Excellent for kicking back post ride when the beach is fogged in.

mtbr member
    I'll be there. Arriving Sunday afternoon or evening to (hopefully) share EBO's campsite and share in the food and expenses. Ready to ride at the crack of dawn the next morning. I have another friend, Robert coming with me who is very non-computer but loves to ride, anyway. See ya then!

Medium?
    Check the satellite version of the location on http://webpages.cwia.com/emartini/mbtb8.html and see if that's where you're talking about.

Thanks.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Consider it done. Looks like we have about 6 so far. I should already be checked in and either out riding or just back. Site reserved under Eric Dennis.

mtbr member
    How many miles round trip? Sounds fun.I haven't ridden Niscene for a year or two, and never ridden demo.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    If you ride from the dirt parking lot at Aptos Village, figure about 32 miles if you do one loop in the Demo forest. Its about 12 miles before you hit the entrance to Demo.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    If you ride from the dirt parking lot at Aptos Village, figure about 32 miles if you do one loop in the Demo forest. Its about 12 miles before you hit the entrance to Demo.
    And a bit longer if you go around Highland/Buzzard, instead of going back up Sulphur Springs and Ridge.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Sdf

Hey gang,
    I've been following the posts and will be in for most of these rides. I really want to check out SDF as I was there only once before. Is there a plan to meet at the park itself and just ride there. I'm pretty slow these days and can't ride 26 miles of fire road. A Demo only ride would be more than enough for me.
    Last edited by kevlau; 05-16-2006 at 09:34 PM.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlau
    I'm pretty slow these days and can't ride 26 miles of fire road. A Demo only ride would be more than enough for me.
    Timing might be difficult, but feel free to try it. We'll be at the Demo Forest entrance off the Niscene fire road around noon. Remember though that you can't drive to the parking area due to the slide. If you start on the west side of the slide around 10, you'd be there comfortably before us.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Don't under estimate yourself. If you break the 12 mile distance to the entrance of the Demo Forest in two ( Sandpoint and the top) it's not too bad. At least you will always know you have a sweet and easy ride back to Aptos once you leave Demo. I'm going to ride it Sunday too since I know I can't get to Ford Ord on time. I'll grab your rear wheel on Monday.

Medium?
    Yea, and the ride up Sulphur Springs won't be so bad after already climbing 12 miles and a mile of Hihn's Mill. It'll be fun. C'mon out!

[pulls tongue out of cheek]

Actually it will be more like a 20 mile ride followed by a 10 mile downhill.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'll go with that.....Never said it wasn't going to hurt a bit.

FE,
    What time do you think you'll reach the dirt parking lot?
    10:30?
    Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com

Medium?
    FE,
    What time do you think you'll reach the dirt parking lot?
    10:30?
    Dan C.
    Nah, we'll shoot for getting there by 10. ish. I'd better print out a map. I've never been anywhere around there but the Safeway.

dis member

Can't make it to New Brighton

so I am going to try to meet you guys en route. It sounds like you are going past the dance studio at the entrance to Nisene Marks around 10:00. I'll look for you there unless I hear different. Don't know which bike I'll bring, but it will be brown.

Charles
    (your new girlfriend's husband)

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Nah, we'll shoot for getting there by 10. ish. I'd better print out a map. I've never been anywhere around there but the Safeway.

jrm
    mtbr member

Take alot of pics..

I'm in.

Dan C.

for us cubiots..

Medium?

Woot!

That was a blast! 38ish miles for a braille/highland lap from down by the beach. A couple famous mtbrers didn't show 8^(, presumably due to "rain", of which there was none, or "mud", of which there was little. All that bad crap soaked right in, and all was very well! Five of us, Lucky, Capt Kana, Victor, Passion Trail Bikes Charles and I met Travis up near Braille and we looped around Highland (quiet) and hit the ST at the top of Buzzard Lagoon and Niscene before bombing the 13 miles back down to the cars.

Stats: about 7 hours for about 39 miles. Who knows how much climbing? It felt like lots..

Awesome, I say. Lucky and I hooked up with Capt Kana and his awfully nice wife for a couple pizzas and various adult beverages overlooking the beach afterwards. Good stuff.

Someone else left Lucky a stash of Gordon Birschs at Ebo's (cough, no show, cough) campsite last night. Enjoy those after the ride tomorrow.

By the way, Charles is a hoot to ride with. I quizzed his mechanic skills all day, and he passed with flying colors. I surely recommend his shop.
    Last edited by Fast Eddy; 05-23-2006 at 11:09 AM.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Would have liked to make it. Rode and hiked Big Basin on Sunday and after three days in the Santa Cruz mtns, fairly drenched and needed at home. Not quite a "cough, no show loser, cough" after providing a free campsite for those whose needed it. Glad you had a good ride today. I did too. Just not in Santa Cruz.

Long Day into Night.

We left the entrance at Niscene about 10:30am and arrived back about 6:30pm. I had over 40 miles. I know I was tired. If we had done a second loop of Demo, we would have needed lights to get out.
    A few pictures of the crew.

1- Charles at the Top of the Incline which was not the top of our ride.
    2- Victor, Kathy, and Eddie at the non Top.
    3- The bench pose at Sand Point.
    4- Travis, who met us in Demo, on the See Saw.
    5- Victor, someone mentioned he had an accent. I never noticed.

Dan C.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kana; 05-23-2006 at 02:51 PM.
    CaptainKana.com

More

1- If I don't post his picture, he won't share the bottle anymore.
    2- Kathy, in the meadow near the end.
    3- Charles in the meadow.
    4- Eddie.
    5- Victor.

We had a good long ride. I forgot to take pictures of the campsite. Great spot. The views were fantastic and so was the sunset. My wife was impressed. She had never been to the campsite at New Brighton even though she was born and raised in Santa Cruz. Those of you who did not camp, missed out.

Great ride everyone. See you on the next one.

Dan C.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CaptainKana.com

Members who have read this thread: 0