MBTB8 - Henry Coe SP - Sat, May 20, 10am- Mtbr.com
    Medium?

MBTB8 - Henry Coe SP - Sat, May 20, 10am

Hunting Hollow, eh? I'll let nature take it's course for the planning for this ride. I'm riding and I could lead a long 'B' group. I haven't ridden much lately though, so I'll be riding at a casual pace at best.

Lucky, where are you staying? Camping at HH is possible, but a bit primitive. You have to camp "at least one half mile from the entrance". Motel 6 is nearby as an alternative.

Any other potential campers?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am hopefully going to make this one. Pretty out of shape myself, planning on the "E" option.
    Only been to Coe once at that was coming in from Coe HQ, so I will just figure out where Hunting Hollow entrance is on a map.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shwaa
    I will just figure out where Hunting Hollow entrance is on a map.
    On the main page: http://webpages.cwia.com/emartini/mbtb8.html

I will move the pin for the Henry Coe ride to the Hunting Hollow parking lot, so you will be able to zoom right up on it, then move around to see how to get there.

I'm sure someone else will also provide detailed driving directions, even if I asked them not to. 8^)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    On the main page: http://webpages.cwia.com/emartini/mbtb8.html

I will move the pin for the Henry Coe ride to the Hunting Hollow parking lot, so you will be able to zoom right up on it, then move around to see how to get there.

I'm sure someone else will also provide detailed driving directions, even if I asked them not to. 8^)

Thanks. Not sure i am reading that correctly, but the meeting spot (brown pin) is west of the 101?? Do we caravan up from there?

Im hoping to make it, I took a crowbar to the knee yesterday at work (yes, really). Leg should be ok to go though hopefully.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shwaa
    Not sure i am reading that correctly, but the meeting spot (brown pin) is west of the 101?? Do we caravan up from there?
    Nope, I need to move the pin. How's that?

King Of Tooth Tarter

Henry Coe, May 20th Ride

Hey, I'm thinking about going on this ride. It's been a while since I was catapulted off of my bike and injured my ribs. Perhaps that can be my new nickname. "Ribs". Is there a route planned? It's looking like a Hunting Hollow Entrance. That's 101 South, Leavesly Road Exit and a left at the stop light (Leavesly), left on New Avenue, right on Roop Road into the hills, stay left on Roop after the hairpin turn, straight past the Coyote Lake boat launch, onto Gilroy Hot Springs Road. You will see a dirt parking lot on the right.

Roy.

Silence! I kill you!
    Those be the directions!
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by plymmer
    That's 101 South, Leavesly Road Exit and a left at the stop light (Leavesly), left on New Avenue, right on Roop Road into the hills, stay left on Roop after the hairpin turn, straight past the Coyote Lake boat launch, onto Gilroy Hot Springs Road.*** You will see a dirt parking lot on the right.
    At the *** you forgot, "GHS Rd follows Coyote Creek. You'll come to a forestry station on the right at a Y, stay left along the creek."

Oh, and you can't see the boat launch from the Coyote Lake (left) turnoff just before the cattle crossing.

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Hunting Hollow, eh? I'll let nature take it's course for the planning for this ride. I'm riding and I could lead a long 'B' group. I haven't ridden much lately though, so I'll be riding at a casual pace at best.

Lucky, where are you staying? Camping at HH is possible, but a bit primitive. You have to camp "at least one half mile from the entrance". Motel 6 is nearby as an alternative.

Any other potential campers?
    Right now, I have reservations at the Country Inn in Morgan Hill for Friday and Saturday nights. Then it's off to the beach. If the Motel 6 is better located, let me know - I can still cancel my reservations.

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

mtbr member
    The mister and I are planning on it!

Rode there for the first time last weekend and can't wait to get back before the heat kicks in. Did a great 5 hr loop from the HQ - lotsa sweeeet single track.

Very happy to report the Tecnu did it's job! Whew-
    I knew I did not want to end up in a dark wooden box in the cold ground. If nothing else, at least I wanted to be buzzard shat on a rock in the sun.
    - slocaus

utilitarian biker
    Hmmm, Turning 30 that day. How long you think we'll be out? i have some festivities I need to attend to at 4

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Medic
    Hmmm, Turning 30 that day. How long you think we'll be out? i have some festivities I need to attend to at 4
    We'll probably be out until around 4. If you know the park, you could cut out early.

Let's ride
    I'm planning to make this one. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Planning to be here with a friend.
    What the routes options? Ride A? B? Like to keep it within of 30 miles.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalk
    What the routes options? Ride A? B? Like to keep it within of 30 miles.
    There will surely be a group going less than 30 miles.

I'm thinking it will be nice enough for swimming in Coit Lake or China Hole.

I was kind of expecting a million route suggestions when I posted this...

King Of Tooth Tarter

A Route

Swimming is definitely a good idea. I just swam Coit Lake (as I try to do regularly in the hot months). The water was excellent! China Hole is fun also but it's more of a float for a while and paddle around. As you stand in shallow water the fish will nibble at your feet. If it's a loop, then it's the narrows and it's hiking with the bike and carrying it over some impressive rock formations. And the dreaded Willow Ridge Trail. Lots of poison oak, the usual supply of ticks and uphill and narrow. I found it difficult with all that poison oak. There's also Lost Spring Trail, but that's not much of a loop. If it's hot, it's probably not too good of an idea to go too far. Last weekend I over did it. But I haven't ridden in a while. It gets hot out there. I suggest a 100 ml camel back, two water bottles and possibly a water purifier. Perhaps the usual Anza, Jackson, Eldeberry, Rock Tower, on to the Domino Pond Trail, Wasno (named because there "was no" trail there before it was there, um...). Take Coit Road by Kelly Lake onto Willow Ridge Road to Coit Dam Trail and a stop off at Coit Lake for a swim, up Coit Dam Trail to Coit Road to Wagon Trail and back via Grizzly Gulch Trail. Of course, stopping off at a lake does change the direction of the ride. Unless it's back up to Willow Ridge Road after the swim and on to White Tank Springs Trail for a fun barely visible trail to Coit Road and back. That might be too far, but there are some possibilties.

Roy.

mtbr member
    I did some trail work in Coe last weekend. We cleared the west side of Cross Cabin and it is awesome right now. I have heard the east side has some springs and they have eroded the track a bit. Lost Springs is a mess. DON'T GO THERE. Many downed trees and lots of OAK. White Tank Springs...same story, barely visable. IMBA cleaned up Grapevine and it is very nice right now. Same with Anza and Jackson.

King Of Tooth Tarter

Cross Cabin? Huh?

Are you talkin' Cross Canyon? I'm not sure where "Cross Cabin" is. Has anyone ever found that Kelly Cabin Trail. It's an obscure trail that connects Cross Canyon with Kelly Lake. I was always curious about that trail but could never find it at the Kelly Lake end (on Coit Road).

Roy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yes, "Nine" apparently meant to say "Cross *Canyon*". BTW, you were asking about the "Kelly Cabin" Trail that's marked on the map. This trail 'exists', but you need a bit of imagination to follow it - it's not well-defined in most places, and mostly a hike-a-bike along the creek. You can 'see' the start of the trail on the right just after you start climbing out of the canyon (if you're taking Cross Canyon in the west->east direction). I took this 'trail' once, and it's not something that I ever want to do again, as so little of it is rideable.

King Of Tooth Tarter

May 20th Ride At Henry Coe

Any other route suggestions?

Roy.

Medium?
    I'll probably lead or sweep a 'B+' ride like this:

GHS Rd, Coit Rd, Anza Tr, Jackson Tr, Elderberry Spr Tr, Jackson Rd, Wasno Rd, Kelly Lake Tr, Coit Rd, Coit Lake Tr, (maybe swim), Coit Dam Rd, Willow Ridge Rd, Cross Canyon Tr, Coit Rd, Wasno Rd, Domino Pond Tr, Cattle Duster Tr, Grapevine Spr Tr, Anza, Coit Rd, GHS Rd

This fairly well maximizes the singletrack coverage at the south end of the park at the cost of retracing a million previous rides down there.

'A' riders could add a Spike Jones and Timm Tr option at the beginning or end, or ???
    Last edited by Fast Eddy; 05-18-2006 at 05:10 PM.

More pie please
    'A' riders could add a Spike Jones and Timm Tr option at the beginning or end, or ???
    I would be happy to take a group to those trails.

I'm with Roy on the Anza, Jackson, Eldeberry, left on to Rock Tower, right on Domino Pond Trail
    route - it's a personal opinion but this way seems a little kinder, gentler than when you make a
    right on Rock Tower. Once we all get to Coit Lake, if people want to ride White Tank/Rose Dam
    - I'll show them the way there.

It was May By The Bay last year that was my first time to Henry Coe, my first mtbr.com group ride,
    and it was the subject of my first post here. So I'm considering Saturday as an one-year anniversary ride.

There should be a nice lady at the tables in the center of the parking lot to collect your $4 parking fee.
    She has maps too - $8.50 (I think). For us luddites, here's a simple map to the parking lot. Weather
    forecast - click here. I'll have a radio - if you bring yours, we can talk!

See everyone Saturday!

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So what A and B+ rides will be milegewise?

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalk
    So what A and B+ rides will be milegewise?
    Hi Victor - Eddy's route plus White Tank/Rose Dam would be very similar to the
    October 15th A ride (which you rode with me) - that was 31.5 miles. Adding Spike
    Jones/Timm would be 3 or 4 miles more.

Eddy's route I would guess to be 20-25 miles and 4,ooo' to 5,ooo' vertical (similar
    to the 10/15 B group but slightly more.)

My thought is that those who want a little extra, let's start with the Spike Jones/Timm
    loop and then try and catch Eddy's B+ group as they reach Coit Lake. At Coit Lake
    we can all regroup and decide if we want to do more riding. But since this is just
    one of 11 days in a row of rides - maybe 35 miles is a bit much. Plus with the all
    traveling between sites, I'm guessing that there is roughly a 10am to ~4-6pm
    window for the ride which will limit it.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Charlie, sounds good.
    I think I'll stick to A ride, but please be gentle , since I'm planing to go on SDF ride on Monday and probably Wilder on Tue.

mtbr member

Have fun

Not gonna make this one afterall-
    I knew I did not want to end up in a dark wooden box in the cold ground. If nothing else, at least I wanted to be buzzard shat on a rock in the sun.
    - slocaus

More pie please

Ride report

14 riders showed up at a very full Hunting Hollow parking lot on a cool, overcast
    day (there was a chance for rain but there was none). Kathy has a group photo
    of us here in her camera. We rode off to the Coyote Creek entrance where
    roughly half the group choose the bonus loop of up Spike Jones and down Timm.
    And the other half - perhaps not fully recovered from MBTB8 Day 1 - stayed with
    the more direct route. I made a wrong turn and had the group momentarily going
    up Grizzly Gulch but we quickly got turned around and up the steep Spike Jones
    Trail. Francis torqued a crank arm off his bike so we had a little rest stop while
    that was fixed. Riding down Timm was a blast. I let people decide if they wanted
    to take the optional "Final Exit" at the bottom.

The Spike Jones/Timm loop took about an hour and after that we made a
    half-hearted effort to catch the other group. Our route: Coit Road > up
    Anza/Jackson/(lower) Elderberry Spring trails > down Rock Tower Trail > up
    Domino Pond Trail > Wasno Road > down Kelly Lake Trail to Kelly Lake > up
    Coit Road > Willow Ridge Road > down Coit Dam Trail to Coit Lake. Ended up
    that we got there 5-10 minutes after Fast Eddy's group. (We had a little scare
    when Victor and his friend missed the Coit Dam Trail turn-off and was missing
    for a little while. They figured out what happened and found their way to Coit
    Lake - I was very happy to see them because I set off to look for them and I
    was just starting the steep climb up out of Coit Lake when they reappeared.)

We hung out at Coit Lake:

When we finally left, I took some pictures of people riding through a muddy little
    stream crossing - here's Derek:

So up the steep Coit Dam Trail to Willow Ridge Road and down Cross Canyon
    Trail. We stopped at a fallen tree and built-up a path to roll over it - Fast Eddie
    tests it out:

I led Kathy through the bottom of Cross Canyon as it weaved back and forth
    through the steam and the rocks; I pointed out the poison oak plants to her (she
    got a bad case of it at Coe last year). Eventually, the trail turned uphill and it
    was time for a big effort. The payoff was the always fun Grapevine downhill.
    The group then went up and down Anza. Roy had a flat on Grapevine; I stayed
    behind to help and when we finished, we skipped Anza to catch-up with the group.
    Roy & I took Coit Road directly to the Coyote Creek entrance where we re-joined
    the group and everyone rode the Gilroy Hot Springs Road back to the parking lot.

Afterwards, about half the group had burgers at the In & Out near the freeway.
    Oh, I almost forgot! Stats!!!

Participants: 14
    Miles: 25.58
    ~7 hours with 4:03 rolling
    Climb: 4,649'

Fun day!!!!!
    ///Charlie

edit - I see Derek has a ride report in Passion, I'll x-post there:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/riding-passion/may-bay-henry-coe-ride-193497.html
    Last edited by Skyline35; 05-21-2006 at 10:01 AM.
    Long live long rides

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35
    14 riders showed up ...
    Fun day!!!!!
    ///Charlie
    Right on Charlie. Thanks for leading a great ride. It was nice to see everyone again and not nice to see that Coe hasn't flattened out yet.

Thanks to Rensho for lending me his Red Titus as my two singlespeed bikes were not appropriate for today. Although Menso showed that it could be done with a 36-16 singlespeed. The red bike was awesome despite the fact the fact that the brakes were reversed moto-style. My brain knew they were reversed but once the rear would lock up on the steeps, I could not modulate them. It made the ride more interesting I'd say.

Sorry I had to cut-out. I did make it to my house at Saratoga by 5:05. My family had just left for a party but I was able to catch up 30 minutes late and the damage is all under control.

Most important, I was able to take time washing with a loofa and Dawn dishwashing soap. I then took did a Zanfel scrub. Now the vigil begins as we wait for the poison oak. Let me know how you guys fare. That PO was off the shizzle-hook!

Again, great day to be out. I'll see y'all at Nisene-Demo.

francois
    Last edited by fc; 05-21-2006 at 07:57 PM.

Slowest Rider

Ride Well Done

Looks like a nice fun ride.

Wished I could have gone to my favorite Henry Coe playground yesterday, but I had a big national uber-geek-party in the afternoon that was excellent too. Seems I'm not making many of my planned MBTB events due to major work crisis that arose this week. I'm still hoping for Big Basin if I can get away somehow. But I'm supposed to be the one cracking the whip.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

190lbs of climber
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Sorry I had to cut-out. I did make it to my house at Saratoga by 5:05. My family had just left for a party but I was able to catch up 30 minutes late and the damage is all under control.
    You made the right choice going down the fire road. The "20 minutes for you, less than an hour for us" turned into 2 hours and fifteen minutes for us. Oh boy, then you woulda been in trouble!

38:16
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso
    You made the right choice going down the fire road. The "20 minutes for you, less than an hour for us" turned into 2 hours and fifteen minutes for us. Oh boy, then you woulda been in trouble!

That's too funny. fc and I were rolling down the firetrail thinking, 20 minutes!, that's about 20 minutes off. It took a good 40 minutes to get to the car, and we hauled ass!

I'm personally glad i took the 'short' way out.

Awesome ride though, and thanks to Charlie and folks to show me/us around Coe.

Pssst, i switched the brakes on the Motolite the night before the ride just to slow fc down.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Pssst, i switched the brakes on the Motolite the night before the ride just to slow fc down.
    Man, I told you couple of time crossing the creek at Canyon Trail, but glad to say again
    "Goooood thinking"

Members who have read this thread: 0