MBTB8 - Fort Ord - Sun, May 21, 10am- Mtbr.com
    Medium?

MBTB8 - Fort Ord - Sun, May 21, 10am

Fort Ord is almost an hour from Hunting Hollow if you're camping there. Salinas has cheap motels otherwise. Camping at Laguna Seca is a possibility too. That is only about 15 minutes from the starting point at Creekside Terrace, which is very precisely located on the map on the main page:

https://webpages.cwia.com/emartini/mbtb8.html

Please chime in here if you have a route suggestion, or you want to be a ride leader. Even more important would be suggestions for where to eat after the ride.

I'm likely out for this ride. We'll see.

Edit: Sponsored by Los Laureles Lodge, $65/night, thanks to the dog, woof!

Last edited by Fast Eddy; 05-16-2006 at 11:39 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm gonna try to do this ride, but I am not confirmed enough to lead. (the east garrison side has juicy trails that I dont know about also)

For a B ride, how about 33-03-39-56-75-10-42-pilarcitos-49-11-50-49-skyline-44-41-02-04-03-33-30

For the A's, add in E. Garrison side

mtbr dismember

I'm probably in

Although I don't like riding Sundays I'll probably do this instead of Coe. Some of the locals I rode with a few weeks ago should be able to lead some good rides.

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    I'm gonna try to do this ride, but I am not confirmed enough to lead. (the east garrison side has juicy trails that I dont know about also)

For a B ride, how about 33-03-39-56-75-10-42-pilarcitos-49-11-50-49-skyline-44-41-02-04-03-33-30

For the A's, add in E. Garrison side
    I'm planning on being there and that B ride is exactly what I was going to suggest for the B ride - it's just about 18-19 miles. A better B suggestion may be to avoid 42 (redrocks) and keep going on 10 and shoot down 43 then up the grind.

for the As, I suggest the same route, but go up 50, mess around on the Garrison side a while, then back to the top of 50, but go over 22, down 60 up 82 and then follow the Sea Otter course to 44 and continue from above. Including what I'm thinking for the garrison side, it would be about 26-27 miles.

If y'all will have me, I'd love to lead this one though this is a pretty easy route to follow. I plan on riding it early Sat AM before the 24HOA to get a better idea of distance.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb-chop
    If y'all will have me, I'd love to lead this one...
    Way to step up!

mtbr dismember

A- ride?

How about an A- ride? I'd like to do 25 - 30 miles, but a bit slower than the A group. After going down the Goat Trail (41) I propose riding up Oil Well and Skyline, going down Hurl Hill, Trails 47 & 48, out 11, then catching 50 and the Blair Witch (59). Or I'd be happy with what Nativeson has led us on recently, but I don't want to hold anybody up.

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    How about an A- ride? I'd like to do 25 - 30 miles
    I was planning on having the A ride be a bit more on the A-ish side - a longer ride, some of the more challenging trails (down 60 and up 82 for example) but not a hammer-fest.

If some folks want a hammer-fest, speak up.

Also, if some folks want something shorter than 19 miles (B route), speak up. I've got some ideas.

Yesterday, I wasn't able to get a ride in on what I was thinking for the A route (I forgot 24HOA was starting at 10 and that limited my time to ride 44 and the top of the goat on the back part of the ride), so I scoped out the route for the B ride. It's doable except for a bunch of Oak and sand on 49. The PO is down at the bottom section of 49 where the trail is pretty narrow and the vegetation is right up to the edge of the trail. At the top of 49, there were two sections (about 50 ft each) I had to walk because of the sand but there were other sections I was able to ride through - don't know if that's a result of the practice I get from riding Ord all the time.

There are alternatives to 49 to avoid the PO and the sand. First is to ride about 2 miles of road (Eucalyptus and Jacks) to trail 11 and take that to the rock then join up with 49 for the downhill. Second is to keep going over Eucalyptus and spin up 82 then cross over Jacks to 11.

One note on 50 - on the south end (closest to Laguna Seca) it looks like BLM did some trail workk with a bobcat - they plowed over the first 200 yards of the trail (similar to what they did at the bottom of 43 for those that raced 24HOA). The first 50 feet could have used it because of some pretty big holes with one endo-maker, but the rest was a bit of overkill. Most of that section is kind of loose and spongy, but it's ok. The rest of the trail is fine.

I'll post a link to a marked up trailmap for the B ride later on today. The route turned out to be pretty close to 19 miles.

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006
    One more thing - who's planning on being there and which ride are you planning on doing?

Also, we'll need someone to lead the B-ish ride.

Look forward to meeting you all.

-Greg

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    One more thing - who's planning on being there and which ride are you planning on doing?

Also, we'll need someone to lead the B-ish ride.

Look forward to meeting you all.

-Greg
    I'm planning to be there, and would be looking for a B ride. I can go long, but I'm not fast by any stretch of the imagination.

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006

'B' Route Map

Here's a marked up trail map for the 'B' ride. This route is 19 miles and has a couple of options on the map in blue: Either go down 'Red Rocks' (42), or if you don't want to deal with some pretty technical decents, continue over the 'Three (ahem) Ladies' (10) and take 43 down to Skyline and continue on to 'The Grind' up Pilarcitos Canyon. With the exception of the sand and Poison Oak I mantion above, this route is pretty clean and fast.

I'll get one posted for the A-ish ride by Wed; I need to get a distance for the Northern trails I'm thinking of. I think it'll end up being around 27ish miles total.

I'm working on a spot for apres-ride mexican. I don't head up to Salinas too often (only when dragged) but I'm trying to get specifics on a place in Marina on Reservation Rd. Either way, trying to come up with a place not too far out of the way (i.e. down in Monterey). Still open to suggestions.

mtbr member
    I'm in, where's the meeting spot?

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairylegzz
    I'm in, where's the meeting spot?
    Click the link above. Ok here it is again: http://webpages.cwia.com/emartini/mbtb8.html

We should make it Darwinian. If you can figure it out by yourself, you can come.

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Click the link above. Ok here it is again: http://webpages.cwia.com/emartini/mbtb8.html

We should make it Darwinian. If you can figure it out by yourself, you can come.
    One note of amplification - the pin on Ed's map is a bit before the actual trailhead. If you keep going down that road for another couple hundred yards past where Ed's pin is, you come to a gate. This is where the Creekside Terrace parking area was; you can see where cars pulled off of the side of the road and there will be a pretty large 'Fort Ord' sign. Keep going past this to the new trailhead parking lot; it's about another 1/3 mile up, just around the big left curve in that road.

That lot is where we'll meet. I could see someone waiting out there and not heading in to the lot; it's only been open a couple of months.

Per Ed's darwinian wishes, you're on your own getting to Creekside Terrace.

Side note: Still looking for a leader for the B ride.

Here's a marked up trail map for the 'B' ride. This route is 19 miles and has a couple of options on the map in blue: Either go down 'Red Rocks' (42), or if you don't want to deal with some pretty technical decents, continue over the 'Three (ahem) Ladies' (10) and take 43 down to Skyline and continue on to 'The Grind' up Pilarcitos Canyon. With the exception of the sand and Poison Oak I mantion above, this route is pretty clean and fast.

I'll get one posted for the A-ish ride by Wed; I need to get a distance for the Northern trails I'm thinking of. I think it'll end up being around 27ish miles total.

I'm working on a spot for apres-ride mexican. I don't head up to Salinas too often (only when dragged) but I'm trying to get specifics on a place in Marina on Reservation Rd. Either way, trying to come up with a place not too far out of the way (i.e. down in Monterey). Still open to suggestions.
    I can't open your map - I just get a blank page. Is there a secret handshake or something? I'm using IE 6.0....

Kathy

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Sponsor Fort Ord Ride

For people participating. I will sponsor the Fort Ord Ride with Hotel Rooms single and double occupancy at $65.00 a night including breakfast and wine tasting at four local tasting rooms. I would also like to tag along on a B+ ride.
    Los Laureles Lodge
    www.loslaureles.com

mtbr member
    Yup, it was a dumbass question.I realize that now, just another reason not to get on the computer post-ride without eating first

Medium?
    Keep going past this to the new trailhead parking lot; it's about another 1/3 mile up, just around the big left curve in that road.
    Ah, so there's a new lot over the creek bridge? I'll move the pin.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by BerlintheDog
    I will sponsor the Fort Ord Ride with Hotel Rooms single and double occupancy at $65.00 a night
    Offer accepted. See above. If you want to sponsor the whole shebang with a free night, I'll give you a prominent banner space on the main page: http://webpages.cwia.com/emartini/mbtb8.html, and we'll do a raffle like we did last night with the Titus frame.

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006

No secret handshakes...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    I can't open your map - I just get a blank page. Is there a secret handshake or something? I'm using IE 6.0....

Kathy
    Try right-clicking on the link and saving the .pdf someplace. After you do that, click open when given the option. If you have Acrobat of some flavor, it'll open then.

If you still have problems, pm me an e-mail address and I'll send it.

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006
    Ah, so there's a new lot over the creek bridge? I'll move the pin.
    Best place for pin is on the right hand side of the Rd just past the left turn on Creekside Terrace.

There's even two restroom-type pit things complete with seats! No more peeing into the bushes behind a tree in front of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by BerlintheDog
    For people participating. I will sponsor the Fort Ord Ride with Hotel Rooms single and double occupancy at $65.00 a night including breakfast and wine tasting at four local tasting rooms. I would also like to tag along on a B+ ride.
    Los Laureles Lodge
    www.loslaureles.com
    Looks lovely. How do I sign up - call and say I'm with the MBTB8 group?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I can supply one free night to raffle off for this weekends ride. Riders just need to call Los Laureles at 831.659.2233 and mention they are with the Mountain Bike Group.

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006

Route maps posted

Here's links to the two route maps for the ride:

The non-hammerfest A ride: here This route hits nearly all of my favorite trails down south and some of the best from the Garrison side also.

The B ride: here If folks wanted to a bit of a longer ride, trail 47/48 (Hurl Hill) could easily be added to this route at the end of 'The Grind' up Pilarcitos Canyon.

The trails were in pretty good shape this morning, not much sand and pretty fast.

If clicking the link for the map above doesn't work, right click and select 'Save Taget As' to download then view the .pdf file. If anyone still has problems, please give me an e-mail address and I'll send you the two files.

Any suggestions to these two routes? Honestly, whoever leads the 'B' ride can head off to wherever they want, I'm just providing a suggestion.
    Last edited by mtb-chop; 05-16-2006 at 08:05 PM.

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006
    Ok - by the posts above, looks like we'll have about 5 folks there for a nice Tour de Ord.

I was expecting to have to install a little motor on the Stumpy to keep up with some of the speed demons. Hmm - I may not have to!

mtbr dismember

I'm a maybe at this point

I'm a maybe at this point. I obviously suffered a bit of a concussion on the head banger I had at Annadel last Saturday. I still have a bit of a headache and it is aggravated by moving around too much. I have talked to a neurologist and since I have no memory loss (of course if I did how would I know?), and no blurred vision, she did not think it serious. But she said to give it about a week and/or until the symptoms go away. I'll see how I feel on Saturday. However, I am extremely reliable and if I'm not there a bit early then I will not be coming. I'll update if things change.

Try right-clicking on the link and saving the .pdf someplace. After you do that, click open when given the option. If you have Acrobat of some flavor, it'll open then.

If you still have problems, pm me an e-mail address and I'll send it.
    I was able to save it and print it - thanks!

mtbr member
    I am still a maybe for this. Hopefully I can make it with my new bike!

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006
    Even more important would be suggestions for where to eat after the ride.
    Post-ride eats: Sarita's Mexican Food. Map here

It's on Reservation Rd. in Marina on the way back to Hwy 1. Good food, and they also serve beer. Not a big place - around 20 tables, but there shouldn't be a problem with space mid-Sunday afternoon.

mtbr dismember

I'm out

No sense fooling myself, I'm out . I still have a headache from the head banging I took at Annadel last Saturday. I saw a doctor today, and although it does not appear to be serious, he said I should not risk another fall for a while. And moving around a lot aggravates it anyway. I hope to be ready for Annadel the following Saturday.

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006

Info for Sunday

BTW - I'll be the bald dude with a silver Stumpjumper fiddling around the back of a big black Expedition.

Look forward to seeing you all there.

Weather is looking like it may be a bit wet for Sunday though...trails will be fine - I may melt though.

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006
    No sense fooling myself, I'm out . I still have a headache from the head banging I took at Annadel last Saturday. I saw a doctor today, and although it does not appear to be serious, he said I should not risk another fall for a while. And moving around a lot aggravates it anyway. I hope to be ready for Annadel the following Saturday.
    Sorry to hear it, but there aren't many rides worth lingering noggin problems. Hope you feel better.

If you ever find the time and want to journey over to the coast, let me know - my schedule is somewhat flexible on most days except for Mon and Wed. I'm on the trails most of those days searching for sanity.

Old School

Carpool?

Anyone planning on heading down that will be passing near my neighborhood (Livermore/Pleasanton/580)?

I can't believe it -- the price of gas has finally started to impact where I ride

I'd be interested in a lift down with someone who would be planning to stick around for the longer ride. I'll pitch in a few bucks for gas.

Cheers~
    Joe

jrm
    mtbr member

Are you still

sensitive to light and noise? When i banged my head the headaches were the worst part and really sucked. Good luck man ..

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006

Ride Report

Longer report to follow.

The short of it: Five of us journeyed out in a light rain. Had a good, though very wet ride - that light rain turned into a lot less of a light rain and into more of a pretty good downpour.

The bottom line: five very wet, dirty smiles, and five wet, very dirty bikes.

I'll add a complete report later after I get more of this work done.

Note: no pictures - seems everyone left their dive cameras at home.

mtbr member
    I'm a week off

Pics and anything welcomed as I will be there THIS weekend! If anyone local reads this I'll be in town from wednesday till next tuesday. I'm planning an AM ride to the Ford Ord or toro park (Is it the same?) area, no other ride plans.

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonMiller
    I'm a week off

Pics and anything welcomed as I will be there THIS weekend! If anyone local reads this I'll be in town from wednesday till next tuesday. I'm planning an AM ride to the Ford Ord or toro park (Is it the same?) area, no other ride plans.
    Where will you be staying and how mobile will you be? I live very close to the west side of Ord and ride those trails 3-4 times a week. Knowing how easily you can get around to different trailheads will give me an idea of when I can meet you and show you around the trails. I usually hit a ride from the pin on Fast Eddie's map (follow the link on top) on Saturday or Sunday morning, but will ride from home on other days and ride some different trails.

BTW - Toro Park and Ft. Ord are not the same. If you have to choose, I'd ride Ord.

How far would you want to go? Thursday morning may be another morning possibility for me, but from a different trailhead.

Chris - would you be up for a mini gathering this weekend?

mtbr member
    I won't be staying that local, in-laws live off of 156 between 101 and 80. With the roads nearby there I'm sure I'll be driving to the trailheads. My mother n law is a principle at the toro park school and has a co-worker that is going to show me some trails. I thought they were going to be in that area but this is the link they sent me

http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lid=BGS077-003

(no account there so info is limited)

I won't be on the bike the whole time since it is a family trip (squeezing in the boardwalk, MB aquarium etc) so planning stuff will help

mtbr member
    Hey MTB-Chop (Greg),

Thanks for the lead on Ord. It was a great ride. Although wet, it wasn't cold. It was good to ride some of the stuff I haven't gotten to yet.

I may be up for a Friday ride (day off from work), but the rest of the weekend is booked.

Chris
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, holy crap, what a ride!!" - author unknown

mtbr member
    Sounds like it was a fun ride. I was busy sleeping. Didn't get home till 4:40 am, from work soooo getting up to ride just didn't happen.

MTB chop, I ride the west side of ord every week. Maybe we can get a group of Marina/Monterey riders together for some group rides. There's also MORCA-Monterey Off Road Cyclist Assosciation, that meets the first Monday of every month. They have a Google group. Check it.

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006

Full Ride Report

Rolling into the parking lot on Sunday morning, I thought - well, at least I'll go for a ride by myself if no one else shows. Turns out we had a nice small group for the ride. Present were myself, Mike (BerlintheDog) and Les from Los Laureles Lodge, Chris (cvillatri), John, and Lucky (Kathy). Lucky was torn between riding in the lovely weather and saving herself from the wet and grit and not having to deal with it while camping. Turns out she made a great decision to not ride because all of us returned to the cars soaked and covered in nice Planet Ord sandy grit - camping with all that would propably not have been too much fun.

After a quick discussion about what ride we would do, we headed out on the trails. We decided to work our way west and then play it by ear with the weather. We started with an easy warm-up: nothing like a mile of climbing to get the heart rate going right away (30 -> 03), then worked our way over 39, 05, 56, and 75 to the top of Jacks Rd.

We decided to not go down Red Rocks (42) because of the wet-rock-slippery-factor so went over the three b!tches (10) and down 43 instead. After bombing down 43 and regrouping at Skyline, Mike had the quote of the ride: 'There's a lion in there!' Slightly incredulous, I gave Mike a 'what the hell are you talking about' look and said 'Lion?' Mike was right behind me and I saw nothing as I enjoyed the Ewok trail. Apparently there was a nice fresh and big kitty print in the middle of the trail crossing from one side to another. I'm sure the cat saw us and was thinking 'I bet those idiots are nice and wet' and laughed at us as we went by.

It was still a nice stready light rain - just enough to get you wet and keep you wet. We saw one other guy on an older VooDoo - he was considering joining us until he realized we weren't going to be hammering. He took off and hammered up Skyline. At this point, we decided to continue on and do the 'B' route. We got about 1/2 mile up The Grind and the sky opened up and the downpour began. There was a really nice river flowing down the right side of the road and I could have sworn Noah went floating by, but it could have just been the water streaming down my glasses. After getting to the top, we decided to skip heading north on 11 because of it's tendency to turn into a mud bog and headed up Skyline to enjoy the view from the top of Couch Canyon (beginning of trail 47). I raced up the last hill to enjoy the view and got a whole lot of nothing in return - the view was wonderful - a whole lot of clouds and nothing else. Oh well.

We did the out leg of the old Sea Otter course: Skyline -> 44 -> The Goat (41) -> 02 over the hill and down to the lot. The trails were pretty nice, some parts were deceptively slick, but there was no mud on the entire route - just lots of grit. By the time we got to the Goat, the rain had stopped but we were already heading back - after all, drivetrains were definitly starting to sound like Mack trucks. In the five days since I last rode those trails, the poison oak grew a LOT and was everywhere. I felt really bad for leading the ride through the oak forest on 44, the bottom part of the Goat, and it was really bad on 02. Anyone get it other than me? I think I wiped most of the oil off the leaves as I went by - I got a nice patch on each shin, 3-4 inches long on left and 2 inches on right, despite Tecnu, but steroid cream is your friend and is keeping me from scratching for now.

The rain prevented folks from bringing a camera out on the ride, so no pictures, but we all had a blast. I think the 'biggest smile award' goes to Les - she had a huge one the whole ride. I can't imagine how big it would have been if the weather had been nice. John gets the 'short travel award' for bringing the VP Free down from Santa Cruz. We had no crashes and amazingly, no mechanicals.

I had a great time and enjoyed meeting you all. Too bad the rain probably kept more from coming out.

Ride stats:
    Distance: 15.4 miles
    Ride time: around 1:45 (not hammering)
    Total time: a little over 2 hours.
    Elevation gain: no idea, but we had a great time.
    Final Route: 03->30->38->37->39->05->05->56->75->10->43->Pilarcitos Canyon (The Grind)->Skyline Rd->44->41->Jacks Rd->02.
    Last edited by mtb-chop; 05-23-2006 at 10:13 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0