MBOSC: Sept 6 Deadline -- San Vicente Redwoods Trails...Speak Up!- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

MBOSC: Sept 6 Deadline -- San Vicente Redwoods Trails...Speak Up!

ACTION ALERT! SAN VICENTE REDWOODS TRAILS PLAN UNDER THREAT! SPEAK UP!

In June Santa Cruz County approved the development permit for San Vicente Redwoods which cleared the way for trail construction of the 38 mile new trail network to begin this winter. Despite all of the Land Trust of Santa Cruz County’s hard work to put together a plan that puts a premium on conservation while still providing public access, the permit was appealed to the Coastal Commission. MBOSC believes that the appeal is unsubstantiated. The appeal will be heard at hearing of the Commission on September 11th (See item 14 on the agenda for details). Please voice your support for this project and get us back on track to begin new trail construction this winter.

You can help make sure this project comes to fruition by writing a letter or sending an email in support by this Friday, September 6th.

California Coastal Commission
    725 Front Street
    Santa Cruz, CA 95060

[email protected]
    SAMPLE LETTER:

Here is sample language you can use in your email/letter. Personalizing the note would be best.

Re: San Vicente Redwoods Access Improvements
    Dear Commissioners,
    I am writing today in regards to the appeal filed against San Vicente Redwoods access improvement. I believe that this appeal is not substantive and request that the project be permitted to move forward for the following reasons:

• The project provides a coastal recreation opportunity of statewide significance
    • The design and management approach avoids and minimizes impacts to sensitive habitats
    • The permit requirements and Conservation Easement ensure that natural and scenic resources will be protected

Thank you,
    [Your Name here]
    [Where you are from]

BACKGROUND ON THE APPEAL:

The appeal addressed four specific concerns. 1) the County’s approval did not adequately demonstrate that the approved project is the least environmentally damaging alternative; 2) the required monitoring and reporting are inadequate and it is not clear whether or how the public can provide input on these; 3) cumulative impacts related to increasing public use of the trails over time were not adequately addressed; and 4) coordination, planning, and management with adjacent landowners and public access sites has been inadequate.
    The Land Trust’s public access plan for San Vicente Redwoods addresses all of these concerns specifically and was developed through an extensive public process allowing for public feedback. The access plan for this property was developed with very stringent constraints placed around environmental impacts and includes a very comprehensive plan to monitor and mitigate environmental and public safety impacts. For this reason we believe the appeal to be unsubstantiated. For more background on the appeal on Coastal Commission staff response you can read the Coastal Commission staff report on the subject here.

MORE INFORMATION:

FAQ on the trails
    Land Trust Newsletter article
    The Access Plan
    Coastal Commission’s staff report

mtbr member
    Sent off an email last night. Very important that they move forward with this.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Email sent. It wasn't clear to me: Who is behind the appeal?

Hella Olde
    Sent with a complete lack of understanding of what I was sending and sent from my official gov'mint email address.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Appeal starts on page 13: https://www.landtrustsantacruz.org/w...-8.15.2019.pdf Guy named Jacob Pollock, some researcher at UCSC. My hot take -- his beef seems to be that he or one of his ilk wasn't paid a huge sum to do some inconsequential study into the effect this project has on the local ecosystem.

mtbr member
    Sent!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

default title
    Mar 2008
    Thank you for your support.
    Jacob is concerned about the number of visitors to the property, and the potential impacts to natural resources. He and I had a good conversation
    yesterday [Monday 8/26]. He learned a lot about the many strategies we have in place to minimize and avoid those impacts. He wasn’t able to participate in the
    planning process as much as other residents of the area, and was surprised to learn about the conservation easement, and the protections it provides
    that go above and beyond the County and Coastal Commission’s regulatory requirements. He was also surprised to learn of our partnership with the
    Sheriff’s Office and other enforcement tools that we can use, if necessary, to protect natural resources. He has seen other natural areas become
    impacted by overuse, and was not aware of our dedicated staff and budget to manage these impacts. We have seen those impacts, too, and are committed to
    making sure San Vicente Redwood's sensitive resources and beauty are fully protected.
    Kind regards,
    Bryan

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^ So I guess that means we should put down our pitchforks?!

I'm not surprised that somebody filed an appeal after seeing all the anti-park signs in Davenport.
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

default title
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    ^ So I guess that means we should put down our pitchforks?!

I'm not surprised that somebody filed an appeal after seeing all the anti-park signs in Davenport.
    Yep. No pitchforks. Jacob put in the paperwork for the appeal without talking to the land trust or reading any of their documents. The coastal commission was going to approve it as Jacob's appeal had no real claim. Now Jacob is cool with it, coastal commission is cool with it ... no pitchforks.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    So has he dropped the appeal, or is he asking the commission to reject their appeal now that it's on the agenda?

Still sounds like a bad neighbor. Instead of first asking informally (the land manager or someone involved) he filed an appeal and cost many hours of commission staff time plus land manager time plus advocate time?

Then again I'm impressed they even considered this issue... gotta learn that trick. I've watched people try to get (very different) commissions to enforce their own decisions, to limited or no avail.

(Presumably because those commissions didn't have such a formal process for citizen complaints.)

default title
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    So has he dropped the appeal, or is he asking the commission to reject their appeal now that it's on the agenda?

Still sounds like a bad neighbor. Instead of first asking informally (the land manager or someone involved) he filed an appeal and cost many hours of commission staff time plus land manager time plus advocate time?

Then again I'm impressed they even considered this issue... gotta learn that trick. I've watched people try to get (very different) commissions to enforce their own decisions, to limited or no avail.

(Presumably because those commissions didn't have such a formal process for citizen complaints.)
    He did not officially drop the appeal at the time that I bothered Bryan at the Land Trust but [m interpretation of] the language in the agenda for the commission meeting was that the appeal process was only going to the commission because of their regulations. It would give anyone else a chance to speak up if they did not file appeal paperwork but that his particular appeal was covered in the plan and/or the things Jacob brought up were outside of the coastal commissions' jurisdiction (along Empire Grade).

Long appeal processes has helped keep upper UCSC's campus wild although I'm not going to hold my breath on keeping the meadow untouched..
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kattrap View Post
    Long appeal processes has helped keep upper UCSC's campus wild although I'm not going to hold my breath on keeping the meadow untouched..
    Can you clarify that? The school wants to build it out? They've been doing a lot of habitat restoration for doomed dirt. Save the Ohlone beetle!

(I might have to get an open carry permit for my pitchfork)

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thank you Bryan for all of the hard work.

mtbr member
    Approved!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    This is BIG news! 20+ miles of new trails, breaking ground early next year. Support MBOSC!