MBOSC: Demo -- Highland Way Access- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

MBOSC: Demo -- Highland Way Access

Important trail access reminder! If you're heading up to ride in Soquel Demonstration State Forest, please keep in mind that Highland Way is impacted every weekday 7 a.m. - 4 p.m. and will be until October. The road may be fully closed to ALL traffic between the hours of 10 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1 p.m.-3 p.m., depending on construction activities. Please use alternative routes to access the forest during this time, or plan your trip accordingly!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I was under the impression the hard 2hr closures ended on Friday? Now itís just the stop lights and signs until October.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I was there 2 days ago-----there were 2 lights----the first one never turned green so just drove thru----only about 100 yards---- the second one worked fine-----not many guys working at all so this come take forever

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The lights run off some kind of camera to detect motion. There is no magnet strip. Try reversing and pulling back in or something. I was held up at a light once and this worked right away.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The first light wasn't working yesterday either. Kind of a pain because it's a blind, single lane corner and I had to reverse out to let a handful of cars through. Dropped the city of Los Gatos an email letting them know.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Well, there is always the option to ride your bike to/fromÖ surely you can get through. Or if you start in Aptos you can ride up the beautiful and scenic Nisene way.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Well, there is always the option to ride your bike to/fromÖ surely you can get through. Or if you start in Aptos you can ride up the beautiful and scenic Nisene way.
    I know riding from Palo Alto to Demo and a couple of laps would be a typical day in the office for you, but I'm working up to doing just that!

In Transit
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin829 View Post
    I was under the impression the hard 2hr closures ended on Friday? Now itís just the stop lights and signs until October.
    Has anyone been able to confirm this? Especially for the afternoon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch View Post
    Has anyone been able to confirm this? Especially for the afternoon.
    I drove to Demo for the first time in a year today (Friday 7/31). There were still a bunch of billboards near the beginning of Highland saying it would be closed ahead for certain hours (I think 10-noon and 1-3?). It was around 2:20pm, I know I was in the "closed" time. But all I had to deal with were:

- 4 stop signed single lane sections
    - 1 traffic-lighted single lane section. It was turning red as I pulled up. I waited about 2 minutes and it turned green again. I'd not take the advice of other people here saying to just run the red.
    - The worst part by far was a wide (not under construction) section where a ton of parked work trucks and workers were taking up 2/3 of the road but didn't appear to be doing much other than walking around and loading their vehicles. They were completely oblivious to me even though I had to pass them within inches even straddling the shoulder. I was lucky nobody came the other way as I made it through this section. They were all gone hours later when I exited after my ride.

I didn't see too many people on the trail (I did Sawpit, for the first time since before it closed!), but I never do when I start late in the day like that. There were a lot of cars on the road when I got there, but obviously they were all ahead of me on the trail, and by the time I finished a couple hours before sunset the cars were almost all gone.

mtbr member
    PSA: Signs on Highland say 'road closures' will resume on 8/10/2020... I assume this means the 10:00-12:00 and and 1:00-3:00 closure as noted above.

I blazed through on Thursday afternoon (after 4:00) no problem... just take it slow on the blind turns.

Did Flow, up Tractor (attempted a no-dab ascent, but the last 200 yards crushed that dream), and Sawpit.

Saw a sweet four-point buck going up Tractor and these guys in the creek:

Name:  IMG_1606.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  11.7 KB

This dude just got chased out of the crack on the upper right, you can see the claw of the other...good sized crawfish!
    Name:  IMG_1610.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  19.6 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfabrain View Post
    I blazed through on Thursday afternoon (after 4:00) no problem... just take it slow on the blind turns.

Did Flow, up Tractor (attempted a no-dab ascent, but the last 200 yards crushed that dream), and Sawpit.
    Jesus, you started after 4 and did all of that?!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I've done it a couple times. Awesome to get a demo loop then hit all of our favorite single track on the way back down. A lot of climbing but I think maybe 16-18 miles of shweet single track.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The111 View Post
    Jesus, you started after 4 and did all of that?!
    I think a couple laps is pretty standard... left the lot at 17:00 and was back about 19:45 with a couple of breaks.

If I'm driving all the way out there, my typical ride is Flow, up Suffer Springs, Braille (or sometimes Braille first).

Hard to say to say which climb is more painful (Suffer vs. Tractor)... per Trailforks:

Suffer = 2434m and 259m vertical

Tractor = 2157m and 305m vertical... but if you want to get back to Flow/Braille, you have to climb Ridge a bit which is not that great. I think better scenery however (and more shade if riding mid-day).

I would only climb Tractor to get to Sawpit.

Thought I was reasonably fast on Flow, but I got dusted by a guy on a hardtail...damn!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Does anyone have any recent experience on Highland during the fires? Should I still expect the daytime roadways work and intermittent closures this Friday, 8-27-20? Thinking about a Friday morning session with a friend who is just getting back into riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Lela's Dad View Post
    Does anyone have any recent experience on Highland during the fires? Should I still expect the daytime roadways work and intermittent closures this Friday, 8-27-20? Thinking about a Friday morning session with a friend who is just getting back into riding.
    FYI Demo is closed right now

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Oops....never mind then.
    Thanks for letting me know, obviously I missed that. I guess I'll stick with the usual Diablo. It's back open for now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin829 View Post
    FYI Demo is closed right now
    But I wanted to go ride really close to wildfires!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    But I wanted to go ride really close to wildfires!
    Hey, if you haven't ridden near a forest fire, you are missing out. There is nothing as exciting or terrifying!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lela's Dad View Post
    Hey, if you haven't ridden near a forest fire, you are missing out. There is nothing as exciting or terrifying!
    If you're seeking a thrill you could go paddle out at the Lane with a chum line attached to your board.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    If you're seeking a thrill you could go paddle out at the Lane with a chum line attached to your board.
    We need to stop supplying reality TV shows with ideas...

mtbr member
    We need to stop supplying reality TV shows with ideas...
    They'll be waiting.....