Thread: MBOSC bails

middle ring single track

MBOSC bails

When one of the best MTB clubs on the planet leaves IMBA you know IMBA is a dead horse.

mbosc-leaves-imba

My snide remark is "what took you guys so long?"

Long live the STC!
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtb'er
    As you know, STC won't replace IMBA, but yes... long live STC. There's still work to do... but donations have dried up.

May the California MTB orgs collectively figure out how to increase the # of "doers"/donors/advocates/ambassadors and start winning political friends and overcoming CA State Parks' hurdles and ineffectiveness.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Local advocacy works, we have Evergreen here in Washington

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    When one of the best MTB clubs on the planet leaves IMBA you know IMBA is a dead horse.

mbosc-leaves-imba

My snide remark is "what took you guys so long?"

Long live the STC!
    It's one thing to bail, it's another to have a thoughtful, achievable long-term plan for thriving as an independent organization and doing what we're meant to do....kick ass for local riders. We are now set up to kick ass on our own terms.

mtbr member
    How much of it had to do with IMBA actively objecting the STC?

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Beats me. I do know that MBOSC held a "Should we continue with IMBA?" survey a while back. I'd be interested in those results. (If published I missed them)

Another benefit to this change is that I can now become a MBOSC member; under IMBA my mailing address required me to be a member of MORCA. (Nothing wrong with MORCA; while being a member there I would also donate to MBOSC) FWIW IMBA also kept (keeps) me away SVMTB; the area club that really needs help.

Maybe the bigger story here is the attention this post has gotten; 500 views and only 5 comments (less if my OP and this post are disregarded)

Could this mean that fewer than 1 in 100 really give a damn about biking access?

Probably...
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    That and their stance on e-bikes.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Over it
    Jun 2010
    I'm not sure about their motivation--but I'm glad they made the change.

(we're still at 1%, dang it)
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtb'er
    I would guess it has more to do with leaving a sinking ship that has no staff in California to help in the trenches. Their undermining of STC and unpopular stance on ebikes probably were the nails that sealed the coffin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    ...FWIW IMBA also kept (keeps) me away SVMTB; the area club that really needs help.
    You're not the only one. At the very least, I think a lot of people would appreciate a convincing (this may not be possible, but at least try) explanation of their [SVMTB's] thoughts on the future of the relationship with IMBA on their website. Most of their posts are on Facebook, and there isn't much other than re-posting links recently.
    Last edited by b rock; 10-11-2018 at 01:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'll summarize by saying that most of our thinking / motivation for becoming independent had less to do with what IMBA's doing / not doing, and more to do with how we think we can best serve our local riders. MBOSC has built healthy, diversified revenue streams that we now know how to scale...and we've built world-class competencies in the areas that matter: trail-building (with professional staff and with our awesome volunteer army) and stoke-creation (through races, events, etc).
    We have so much to get done locally...so we're going to focus locally. And we're going to ask everyone who puts rubber to dirt in Santa Cruz County to join us.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by riderup View Post
    MBOSC has built healthy, diversified revenue streams.
    For real those raffles are money makers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    For real those raffles are money makers!
    that's one of many income streams...having a diversified base of income is really important to reduce risk.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The BTCEB had a discussion a number of years ago about becoming a charter IMBA club,we coundn't see where being a IMBA club would benefit the club or our members. Plus there was/is the issue of what IMBA is doing almost anywhere in California for trail access.

mtbr member
    Nice. I just let my membership lapse a couple months ago because of not wanting any dealings with IMBA. I will be renewing my membership again in December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks MBOSC for all you guys do. I never remember to become a member of MBOSC when I have extra money. I just checked the website and it still says to join by becoming a member of IMBA. I will keep an eye out for when membership is MBOSC directly and hopefully I will have a few extra bucks to donate.

I did work on one EMT work day, but the digging wrecked my back. I do a lot of rogue tree clearing on my solo rides. I always carry a saw with me in case I find a downed tree. I even cleared a tunnel on the trail that is named after a goat sucker a couple of years ago. It was cool to see that shown in a GMBN video.