May 6-10, 2019 Weekly Ride and Trail Report- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

May 6-10, 2019 Weekly Ride and Trail Report

Hmmm.....a little strategic rain tonight?? Anybody down in SC seeing any rain?

Photos and reports please.....

May 6-10, 2019 Weekly Ride and Trail Report-screen-shot-2019-05-05-8.43.07-pm.png

May 6-10, 2019 Weekly Ride and Trail Report-screen-shot-2019-05-05-8.44.04-pm.jpg

Hmmm....

May 6-10, 2019 Weekly Ride and Trail Report-screen-shot-2019-05-05-8.45.10-pm.png

Up In Smoke
    We got a bit of that rain in Monterey, not even enough to keep the dust down though

mtbr member
    Sat uc looks good!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

bad reputation
    No precip in Live Oak in the last 24 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The rain overnight was minimal. It was enough to keep the dust down for an early morning ride up EMT and Ucon. Also enough to make my clean cars look bad again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Rode Exchequer today--nice and cool--saw 1 other person
    Trails have been cleared of weeds----tread is hard like it gets
    Go before the heat

Moderator Moderator
    A little rain on the cruise through Arastradero today.

mtbr member
    Traffic jam on the way back from NYB

mtbr member
    Tamo yesterday (Tuesday) weather was perfect. Mild with sun later. Very little dampness from precip. There's a few seeps still with minimal mud splatter. Hero dirt is mostly gone. Hardpack is here. I saw a huge Jackrabbit on Wagonwheel, led me up the trail... "This way, this way..." Then it hopped up a near vertical wall and disappeared. I solo-ed it and non-stopped it for the first time. Pretty good burn.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Rode Skegg's Fir - Methuselah - North Leaf - eCdM Creek today.
    Tons of wet muddy ground and many puddles about 5" deep, esp Fir and Methuselah.
    Prepare to wash your bike afterwards and hose your clothes off. Fun, not fun

Brought out the woodland friends though.
    May 6-10, 2019 Weekly Ride and Trail Report-screen-shot-2019-05-08-5.47.28-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Skeggs is wet? Crap.

Tomorrow I've got a factory demo slot on a new Ibis Ripley V4. I haven't ridden a new bike in THIRTEEN YEARS and I have a lot of learnin' to do. Skeggs is home turf and I really wanted to see how the modern geometry felt on familiar ground (down & up manzanita, down reso up ECdM).

The alternative is to hit up Demo for my demo... except I've shamefully never ridden those trails. I've been riding the peninsula and around since I was 12, but never made it to Demo for undefinable reasons.

SO. Advice sought:
    - hit up Skeggs (and drive 3 hours to/from) and ride soft but known ground for clearish comparisons, or
    - try out Demo for the first time on a new new whip? (I understand Flow is the jam, but can I hit any technical climbs that compare to reverse Manzanita?)
    Last edited by davee5; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davee5 View Post
    Skeggs is wet? Crap.

Tomorrow I've got a factory demo slot on a new Ibis Ripley V4. I haven't ridden a new bike in THIRTEEN YEARS and I have a lot of learnin' to do. Skeggs is home turf and I really wanted to see how the modern geometry felt on familiar ground (down & up manzanita, down reso up ECdM).

The alternative is to hit up Demo for my demo... except I've shamefully never ridden those trails. I've been riding the peninsula and around since I was 12, but never made it to Demo for undefinable reasons.

SO. Advice sought: hit up Skeggs (and drive 3 hours to/from) and ride soft but known ground for clearish comparisons or try out Demo for the first time on a new new whip? (I know Flow is the jam, but can I hit any technical climbs that compare to reverse Manzanita?)
    Ask the folks at Ibis for a good route at Wilder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Skeggs is wet? Crap.

SO. Advice sought: hit up Skeggs (and drive 3 hours to/from) and ride soft but known ground for clearish comparisons or try out Demo for the first time on a new new whip? (I know Flow is the jam, but can I hit any technical climbs that compare to reverse Manzanita?)
    I can't speak to the overall conditions at Skeggs but I would say ride where you're familiar. I would surmise given recent conditions that parts will be dry. I've been all over China, Tamo, and Annadel lately and they're packing up pretty hard. And anyway you want a whip that can handle all the conditions up here so why not take that Ripley and plow out whatever presents itself? Wet or not. The difference will likely be substantial but my guess, given that I just demo'd the same bike, isnthst you will be pleased with it. Albeit the adjustment period.

mtbr member
    Skeggs is wet? Crap.

SO. Advice sought:
    - hit up Skeggs (and drive 3 hours to/from) and ride soft but known ground for clearish comparisons, or
    - try out Demo for the first time on a new new whip? (I understand Flow is the jam, but can I hit any technical climbs that compare to reverse Manzanita?)
    Fyi, the small section of Manzanita I did (connector btwn Fir and Meth) was like covered with thick grease mud. Can make it down sketchily but frankly can't imagine anyone making it up. The larger/lower sections of Manzanita might be better(?).

For rocky trails, hard to match Manzanita. But one possibility is Santa Teresa, a couple trails in particular are fun, though not like Skeggs:

Rocky Ridge Trail
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmy9YZc26YU

Stile Ranch Trail
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFrHnkySL3Y

trekker
    Jul 2005
    I've never ridden manzanita, but Santa Teresa is my home trail. Rocky ridge is a tough technical climb. Going up Stiles is borderline impossible without putting a foot down 15x after this winter's rain. Going down is fun, though.

Go up rocky ridge and down Stiles?

mtbr member
    Didn't mean to hijack but too late...

Coming from older, steeper geometry I worry I'm going to miss precision handling. Sure, maybe I'll be faster with point & shoot long/slack setups but I like handling my bike pretty actively. I've also got bad knees and laying the bike over with the dropper slammed seems unfun. (Probably just gotta HTFU).

I figure navigating a familiar set of rock gardens is going to give me the best bet for feeling out slower geometry. Flow trail may be fun, but does it demand handling skills? Will I readily feel out twitchy vs. stable?

I've ridden Wilder once... with a toddler strapped to the front of my bike. I didn't hit Enchanted Loop or Zane Grey, so maybe I missed the harder bits.

I'm rubber-side down, blue is fun, black is doable but less fun rider. I also strictly ride legal trails, so no mail runs for me.

Santa Teresa is new to me; sounds fun but probably not ideal for demo tests. It seems prudent to either ride Skeggs (muddy or no) or stay in SC to reduce drive time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Skeggs is wet? Crap.

SO. Advice sought:

Rode Skeggs today (Blue Blossom -> Manzanita -> Sierra Morena). Its wet and muddy, especially near the top by Sierra Morena. Probably not conditions that would give you a meaningful impression of a new bike.

mtbr member
    Didn't mean to hijack but too late...

Coming from older, steeper geometry I worry I'm going to miss precision handling. Sure, maybe I'll be faster with point & shoot long/slack setups but I like handling my bike pretty actively. I've also got bad knees and laying the bike over with the dropper slammed seems unfun. (Probably just gotta HTFU).

I figure navigating a familiar set of rock gardens is going to give me the best bet for feeling out slower geometry. Flow trail may be fun, but does it demand handling skills? Will I readily feel out twitchy vs. stable?

I've ridden Wilder once... with a toddler strapped to the front of my bike. I didn't hit Enchanted Loop or Zane Grey, so maybe I missed the harder bits.

I'm rubber-side down, blue is fun, black is doable but less fun rider. I also strictly ride legal trails, so no mail runs for me.

Santa Teresa is new to me; sounds fun but probably not ideal for demo tests. It seems prudent to either ride Skeggs (muddy or no) or stay in SC to reduce drive time.
    Braille would be much much better test than Flow. I don't think you'll get what you're looking for on Flow.
    But parts of Braille can be challenging for first time, esp for a "blue is fun, black is doable but less fun rider".

If you're in pretty good shape, a possibility is to do Braille twice. The first time to get feel for the trail features, then second time to really test.
    It's a climb to get to Braille (or Flow), then a 1.8mile climb back up (on Sulphur Springs) to top of Braille again.

mtbr member
    I've got all day with the Ripley, and I'm decent but hardly racing shape. I usually ride out 3K of climbing in an end-of-weekday Skeggs session without stops. With a lunch break. I can probably muster 2 laps on Flow/Braille via Tractor/Sulphur. (He said without a shred of first hand experience.)

Video recon indicates Braille is definitely more useful test-wise, but I'll be on 100% of the do-arounds. Also GoPro vision never really gets you that close to knowing what's up.

Moderator Moderator
    I've got all day with the Ripley, and I'm decent but hardly racing shape. I usually ride out 3K of climbing in an end-of-weekday Skeggs session without stops. With a lunch break. I can probably muster 2 laps on Flow/Braille via Tractor/Sulphur. (He said without a shred of first hand experience.)

Video recon indicates Braille is definitely more useful test-wise, but I'll be on 100% of the do-arounds. Also GoPro vision never really gets you that close to knowing what's up.
    If you go to Demo tomorrow you'll likely be there all alone. No cell coverage, except at the very top.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    If you go to Demo tomorrow you'll likely be there all alone. No cell coverage, except at the very top.
    Davee5 - Sounds like you're in more than pretty good shape
    I'm a veteran of the do-arounds in Braille, too.

If you do go tomorrow, let us know how it goes!

More pie please

5/8/2019 Henry W. Coe State Park

A few photos of the Coe landscape...

Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Skeggs is wet? Crap.

SO. Advice sought:
    If you haven't gone out already... if Skeggs is wet and Demo is too far, why not hit Water Dog. It's small but packs a bunch and has a little bit of everything that you can session to get a good feel for a bike.

fc
    head minion Administrator

Go somewhere where you’re are absolutely familiar and comfortable to try out this very different bike
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro View Post
    I've never ridden manzanita, but Santa Teresa is my home trail. Rocky ridge is a tough technical climb. Going up Stiles is borderline impossible without putting a foot down 15x after this winter's rain. Going down is fun, though.

Go up rocky ridge and down Stiles?
    Impossible...? that sounds like a challenge.

Rode up boundary and down the main fireroad yesterday because I’m hating the rocks more and more.

mtbr member
    Rode JNT today up to Skyline trail and back.
    It started out chilly at the bottom of JNT and it was full on raining under the trees along skyline trail. Parts of the trail had such large puddles it looked like it rained all night.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dp400 View Post
    Rode JNT today up to Skyline trail and back.
    It started out chilly at the bottom of JNT and it was full on raining under the trees along skyline trail. Parts of the trail had such large puddles it looked like it rained all night.
    Thanks for the report. I was going to ride JNT tmrw morning but will wait.
    Don't feel like cleaning my bike twice in three days. Will appreciate the parched fire roads of Fremont Older instead!

mtbr member
    Thanks all for the suggestions, ya'll. I ended up just riding Wilder & abouts based on ride reports here and the Ibis guys saying Demo was getting pretty greasy too. This morning there was a heavy, precipitating fog and even the sandy stuff as Wilder was spraying wet trail in my face.

Granted I have little idea how fast or slow I was going on this bike vs my current setup, as I have no real baseline at Wilder, but I had a great day out on the trails. [it's Bike To Work Day? How about: No Work, Just Bike Day1]

Full, lengthy report here:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/2019-ib...l#post14083950

mtbr member
    Rode China Camp backside yesterday, it was empty aside from a cool bro from Tahoe named Harry on a slick Nomad. Pretty much summer conditions up there aside from s couple seeps in the gullies and loam in the forest. The east side may still be sloppy like it was a couple weeks ago, but the west is hardpack.

mtbr member
    Has anyone actually ridden Demo in the last week or so? Condition report?

Perfectly tacky it appears by this
    https://www.trailforks.com/region/so...forest/status/

fc
    Thanks all for the suggestions, ya'll. I ended up just riding Wilder & abouts based on ride reports here and the Ibis guys saying Demo was getting pretty greasy too. This morning there was a heavy, precipitating fog and even the sandy stuff as Wilder was spraying wet trail in my face.

Granted I have little idea how fast or slow I was going on this bike vs my current setup, as I have no real baseline at Wilder, but I had a great day out on the trails. [it's Bike To Work Day? How about: No Work, Just Bike Day1]

Full, lengthy report here:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/2019-ib...l#post14083950

"Demo was greasy..." c'mon.

Anyway, great report and it's good you went to Wilder. You want to eliminate too many wildcards when you test riding a bike. It looks like there were a whole lot of variables already.

And yes, there's a science now to test riding bikes and my buddy wrote kind of a novel about it. He brings a shock pump, a saddle, stem, measuring tape and whole lot more.

The key too is if you don't test ride bikes a lot, it is very difficult to get comfortable on the first ride. And even when you test a lot of bikes, it takes about 2-6 to get dialed in. Just food for thought.
    IPA will save America

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by NuckingFuts View Post
    I was up on the Aptos side last night up top and the dirt was tacky and nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NuckingFuts View Post

Perfectly tacky it appears by this
    https://www.trailforks.com/region/so...forest/status/
    I rode Wed of last week. Braille dirt was excellent. Small sections of Cusacks were very muddy though, if u decide to ride that small connector.

This week, however, I think there’s been lots more wet clouds.

mtbr member
    Rode flow and braille yesterday evening. Was definitely a little slippery up top, especially those roots, but still totally worth it. Bottom half of both flow and baille were drier and super nice. No real mud or damaging trails like conditions, just a little greasy. Very fun ride though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomor View Post
    Rode flow and braille yesterday evening. Was definitely a little slippery up top, especially those roots, but still totally worth it. ... just a little greasy. Very fun ride
    See, FC, we can all be right and it's all alright. Yay bikes.

(Curious about that test protocol. The last time I bought a bike I was young and broke but had access to industry brodeals with Santa Cruz, so I wasn't all that rigorous.)

fc

(Curious about that test protocol. The last time I bought a bike I was young and broke but had access to industry brodeals with Santa Cruz, so I wasn't all that rigorous.)
    Yeah definitely stay away from Cussacks until the summer. That is a natural creek bed on soft soil and it does not dry until the water is tapped
    IPA will save America

fc

For sure. Interesting year.

I’ll find the test notes. It was a 10- step process in order of importance. Saddle height and reach were key, and then all the contact points need to be perfected. Saddle tilt, lever position and tilt, pedals were important.

Air pressure and shock pressure were gold. They’re always set too hard. And one should be a hair soft to get a feel for the suspension movement quickly.

My buddy would drive to LA to test drive and had to make it worth his effort. Ended up with a Wreckoning. Now a Levo.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    The usual weekend morning zoo at Arastradero.

Actually, more zoo than usual.

Dang near ran over 3foot rattler near where Meadowlark meets Ohline. Riding slightly uphill with new helmet with bigger visor and had head down, so could see only a bit ahead of me.

Thinking of the rattle still wigs me out.

Warned the next hiker I saw. He said he just saw another rattler on other side of the park, for the first time after years of hiking there.

Sneks on the Dero.

mtbr member
    Just got off UC and it's good but drying fast...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    The usual weekend morning zoo at Arastradero.

Actually, more zoo than usual.

Dang near ran over 3foot rattler near where Meadowlark meets Ohline. Riding slightly uphill with new helmet with bigger visor and had head down, so could see only a bit ahead of me.

Thinking of the rattle still wigs me out.

Warned the next hiker I saw. He said he just saw another rattler on other side of the park, for the first time after years of hiking there.

Sneks on the Dero.
    My daughter is up there right now cutting down thistle. Lots of sneks, big boots required.

mtbr member
    My daughter is up there right now cutting down thistle. Lots of sneks, big boots required.
    Big Thank You to your daughter, helping literally hundreds or even thousands of people enjoy that park each day.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    Big Thank You to your daughter, helping literally hundreds or even thousands of people enjoy that park each day.
    I figure I will ride by later and yell ‘you missed a few!’

Up In Smoke
    Would that be before or after dropping off a 6-pack?

mtbr member
    Be sure you’re sporting your full mtbr kit.

Moderator Moderator
    Haha! She's far too young for a 6pack! I make both of my kids do manual labor and trail work, I'm a terrible father!

The members of MTBR would like to thank you, oh, can you also build some berms and jumps while you're at it. And, make sure they don't suck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Yeah definitely stay away from Cussacks until the summer. That is a natural creek bed on soft soil and it does not dry until the water is tapped
    I didn't heed you advice last weekend and rode Cusack. I and my bike came out smelling like a fresh cowpie covered in swamp water.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk