May 22-28 ride report- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

May 22-28 ride report

Warm, Memorial Day, hero dirt, pollen and oak report
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Trails at Nisene in good shape after rain. Oak seems to be retreating slightly.

mtbr member
    No time to ride, just dig! Hahah just kidding, I have some work to do but will get in a session this evening.

Before I get going on today's action, I just want to say, I'm stoked for our local NICA youth team. The younger kids are POUNDING the system which includes some real deal riding, technical, climbs, jumps, etc. I can't wait to see these guys stack up to other local teams.

MAJOR progress on the Pump Track. Local Groms are already obsessed as I knew they would be
    May 22-28 ride report-grom.jpg

The location is ideal, about 5 miles direct path to get there on "real MTB trails". Aint no slackers hanging around here. You got to ride a ways in to get in your turns!

Last night I was reading up on some light Leelikesbikes Pump Track Nation reading and it hit me with what to do with the next section. We were hitting a doldrum section where speed was dying, I decided some nice snakey turns with railable berms would be fun and add some speed. Three of us met up there at 5AM and made the vision a reality! My tester rode it this morning before we wrapped up, and it does indeed work and he was smiling from ear to ear!

Looking from the end of where I left off yesterday looking "down" trail though it is slightly uphill.
    May 22-28 ride report-85d7e468-baf0-4fc0-90d1-92dfd826369f.jpg

I used the natural contour to create some swoopy turns with rollers at the entrance and exits. Looking at the second berm roller:
    May 22-28 ride report-6993ffd5-484a-4ef0-87a9-c1d94f4a2b5f.jpg

Standing at the bottom of the new section looking back "up trail":
    May 22-28 ride report-ce1cf6c3-2805-4b4f-b817-9dd96ee76449.jpg

On the hike out decided to keep doing some foot digging and cleaning on Sail Hatan, which is the next DH going in. This things has quite a few technical rock features including big slabs that are awesome. People going to love it once its in as well, but I am holding working on it hostage until I finish the pump track

After doing general work, I cleaned up one the larger, but not the largest, rock slab feature near the end of the DH. Its 100% rideable but will also need a catch berm at the bottom to help carry speed.
    May 22-28 ride report-baea2daa-5456-47b5-9607-3b4987a5b6c7.jpg

The whole system is getting pretty frickin good right now. Cows are still in, but they should be pulled soon. Once that happens, we will start polishing sections and this place going to be frickin awesome for several months albeit hotter than the surface of the sun.

I'm looking forward to riding this afternoon then coming back in with the necessary tweaks. There always are ...
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Oh and yes, I will be cleaning up the sides as well as doing some preemptive drainage work since we are digging down and not really "piling up" for this section
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by cave man View Post
    Trails at Nisene in good shape after rain. Oak seems to be retreating slightly.
    this may be the finest ratio of hero dirt to poison oak ever. Black dirt is here and oak is on the retreat (or a little beat).
    IPA will save America

fc
    I wore this for the whole ride... more for my hideous grass allergies.

It's pretty much impossible to put in a good effort.May 22-28 ride report-img_0405.jpg
    IPA will save America

Up In Smoke
    I tried a bandana last night and it worked surprisingly well. I sweat pretty heavy though and that thing was pretty saturated.
    Kind of like playing an electric drum kit

orthonormal
    Trail use seems to be returning to normal around here. Only saw one other rider and two hikers on a 10:30am-noon ride.

I wish I could say the PO was in retreat around the Sand Hills. Getting worse, if anything.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    On the way to UC and stuck in 17 traffic!!

Dp400 I'll be at the stump at some point lol

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Got a solid 4k elevation today between Fremont older and Montebello. It’s been a long time since I’ve done good long ride and it felt great.

Trails were dry but not overly dusty. Encountered a lot of hikers and bikers; more than expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

It's pretty much impossible to put in a good effort.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0405.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	276.2 KB 
ID:	1335143
    Simulated elevation training....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have terrible allergies. Trees, grasses, pollen, and more.
    Did this mask help you?

Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

It's pretty much impossible to put in a good effort.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0405.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	276.2 KB 
ID:	1335143

mtbr member
    The new pump track additions are really frickin good!
    May 22-28 ride report-1d3b3312-8845-46fb-9673-79c82b6f57fd.jpeg

Sail Hatan is fully rideable top to bottom. All slabs and rock rolls have been rode in sequence
    May 22-28 ride report-96ae5cdc-30a6-4af9-b71d-875a0d34c71e.jpeg
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

the half breed devil
    my geared trail bike spent the week at the shop with a busticated shifter. i also had to work one of those days and i'll probably be working a few more days a week until we're fully up and running. too many hours of the week were probably spent slouching around and watching the likes of detective pat postiglione and his photographic memory on investigation discovery, but i finally go motivated and gave the singlespeed some more golden gate park love this afternoon:

May 22-28 ride report-screen-shot-2020-05-22-6.50.02-pm.jpg

as the title of my strava activity bemoans, golden gate park is a gal-damn mob scene, which is why i don't ride my trail bike in the park for the time being. it's easier to go slower on a rigid singlespeed, which makes it easier to slow down for clueless SIP-zombies whose situational awareness has been diminished due to mask-induced oxygen deprivation.

(yes, i know, wearing a mask in certain environments is very important during the siege. but masks make some people morph into flop-node-lemonhead idiots, and i'll stand by that)

i have been riding bikes of some sort in golden gate park since 1988, and i have never...seen...ANYTHING..like this on a daily basis.

what is karen going to do when the malls and spas are closed?

May 22-28 ride report-img_7139.jpg

this will be my last ride on the karate monkey with tubes in the wheels. the next ride on the SS will hopefully be on new WTB I-29s on a new hope rear singlespeed hub and recycling the current no name front hub. praps after this upgrade, i'll have the jizmo to ride the thing over the golden gate, up and down those hateful gravel-bike infested fire roads.

the recalcitrant shifter on the hawk hill has allegedly been fixed, so we'll see how it performs during another suffer-fest with knobby gnarls wilson on saturday.

some final observations: i noticed quite a few mountain bikers in the park today who were exuding an aura of experience, along with the same wandering and wobbling newbies. the hard, dry sections of GGP are getting harder and more dry, while the sand pits continue to widen from riders trying to avoid them and grow deeper from the hard chargers who barge right through the middle.

you would have to give me two cases of cannabis-infused lemonade to go anywhere near golden gate park on a bicycle of any kind over the coming weekend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    roughster, that's rad - can you share where that's at? I'm a long ways away but looks awesome!

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    UCSC on friday the 22 the dirt was amazing. Not many people. Go on a weekday if you can swing it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    roughster, that's rad - can you share where that's at? I'm a long ways away but looks awesome!
    Thanks! It's in the far East Bay which in itself is a hint. Its getting really popular with the locals and word is getting out. So far, the plan is working as intended. People are slowly being exposed to the area without a day where 50 people show up and freak the neighborhood out. Just going to keep on keeping on as is! Look around, you'll find it!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sduck03 View Post
    UCSC on friday the 22 the dirt was amazing. Not many people. Go on a weekday if you can swing it!
    Welcome aboard! That's some solid advice for a first post It was really good yesterday--and today. We go in 29 miles today and managed to miss most of the crowds.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

mtbr member
    Hit Auburn today. Surprisingly not as busy as expected but did start later in the day.

3 laps on culvert, Stonewall down thru rocky and down confluence

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

the half breed devil
    today, i got the hawk hill back from the shop. the shifter was not busticated; the mechanics at spokeasy out on 20th avenue were able to somehow make it shift like it's supposed to again.

no replacements or warranty claims necessary, thank you.

after i traded the single speed at the shop to get its new wheelset for the trail bike, which also has new BB bearings, knobby gnarls wilson and i set out over the golden gate bridge seeking lesser-travelled trails in the marin headlands.

it seems like everyone who owns a road or gravel bike in the city of san francisco was returning from their morning ride as we headed north over the west walkway of the span.

this actually boded well for our return trip back to san francisco, as we noticed there were very few cyclists pedaling north towards marin:

May 22-28 ride report-screen-shot-2020-05-23-6.57.32-pm.jpg

conzelman road to hawk hill and the coastal trailhead is still closed to automobile traffic, much to my satisfaction. knobby gnarls wilson and i
    slowly ground our way to where the coastal fire road drops into the rodeo valley, where we reconfirmed our plan to ascend to hill 88 via the little-used single track trail behind the youth hostel.

we didn't see a soul on this trail, nor did we encounter humans until we reached hill 88 itself, which requires its fair share of 46T bailout gear huffing and puffing in addition to a nasty hike a bike up a steep set of stairs and a short hike through a poison oak forest. the marin headlands and all its fire roads and singletrack trails are dry as bones now, with many of the fire roads having a treacherous combination of loose, sharp crushed rock over hard-packed clay soil:

May 22-28 ride report-img_7146.jpg

knobby gnarls wilson and i spent quite some time on hill 88--partly for me to indulge in my 4/20 ritual, take photographs and partly to allow the hiker we sighted near the bottom of the narrow dirt fire road connecting former nike missle site at hill 88 to the miwok trail to reach the trailhead:

May 22-28 ride report-img_3623.jpg

May 22-28 ride report-img_3630.jpg

for part of the ride down the trail leading to the miwok fire road from hill 88, my name changed to butt-cheeks-clenched bob as the first quarter mile of the descent is quite steep and as i've mentioned before littered with a covering of sharp, loose rocks. for some reason, this combination had a very bad psychological effect on me and caused me to creep down this section of trail like a novice rather than a man who has been riding mountain bikes for thirty years or more.

one more stop for herbal replenishment was followed by an uneventful grind up the despicable coastal fire road. since we met a good portion of san francisco's gravel and road riders headed south over the golden gate bridge while we were traveling north, the white knuckle sections of the bridge where the bridge district is storing generators and other construction gear were much less nerve wracking without hordes of strava-maddened racer-wannabes flying by at warp speed.

timing is everything!

on a final note, while i was walking through golden gate park on an errand this morning, i noticed the rental-bike tents are set up again. fortunately for those of us who live in the city and use the golden gate bridge as a transportation artery and not an amusement park, the rental outlets in north beach and fisherman's wharf don't seem to be open yet.

let us pray for at least another few weeks of freedom from these wobbling, indecisive entrance-choking blockheads who don't know how to do anything but jerk, in the words of the late dr. gene scott.

https://clyp.it/p5eprvbr
    Last edited by shekky; 1 Week Ago at 01:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Full looped 14.5 miles. Good stuff
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

trekker
    Jul 2005
    Took a hard spill yesterday at the end of a steep chute on a trail that leads to a certain hwy 9 call box. Nothing broken, fortunately, but definitely wasn't fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    roughster

I live in the East Bay and would love to help cut in if you like. Those hills look familiar, but the East Bay hills all look the same right about now. HAHA. I may have heard about this at the shop I work for...

let me know...

josh

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    just a heads up, my buddy went to Demo this AM, and said there is a sign on highland ave saying that it will be closed today from 1PM to 2PM.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spidy512 View Post
    roughster

I live in the East Bay and would love to help cut in if you like. Those hills look familiar, but the East Bay hills all look the same right about now. HAHA. I may have heard about this at the shop I work for...

let me know...

josh
    Vacaville, not really what most consider East Bay.
    Romani ite domum

More pie please
    A few pictures from yesterday on the mid-peninsula...

Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Nice ride today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^^ I was going to guess Emigrant, but I'm sure that's too tame for you! Luther Pass?

#jelly
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    ^^ I was going to guess Emigrant, but I'm sure that's too tame for you! Luther Pass?

#jelly
    TRT near 267 and Northstar/Martis peak. Started seeing big drifts of snow around 7500’. Great day to be on a bike.

mtbr member
    Took a day off from digging and explored around New Melones. Some good stuff
    Last edited by roughster; 1 Week Ago at 05:35 AM.
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    TRT near 267 and Northstar/Martis peak. Started seeing big drifts of snow around 7500’. Great day to be on a bike.
    That was my second guess, but I didn't see any snow. So damn jealous.

mtbr member
    Did a hike at Phleger Estate / Huddart with the fam, then biked home the long way through Skeggs. Dirt already starting to loosen up after a week of post-rain hero dirt. Still nice, but after a hot busy weekend it's gonna be breaking up quickly. Tons of hikers and rookie riders on top, not too many deep into the park. I even saw a few strollers!

The real update, though, is that I have *never* seen so many goddamn cars parked along skyline. We came up 84 and headed north on skyline. Starting at Bear Creek / Skeggs main lot every. since. space. was full. Both in lots and turnouts. I mean turnouts I never realized were there. People were even hiking along 35!

AND. Every car had a parking ticket on it when we left an hour later.

I should have taken a video, it was bonkers. 5 miles of road edge parking and 5 miles of parking tickets, stretching from The Mountain House to Bear Creek.

There were vignettes of cops and rangers yelling at people to leave, and then again at the people trying to park in the newly opened space. Many cars were crammed between ubiquitous NO PARKING signs, as every inch of parkable shoulder was full regardless. We got away with it, but as we were strapping down the kids a friendly local told us tickets were posting at $1000.

So. If you're gonna ride San Mateo stretches of Skyline, DON'T PARK ON 35!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Made a late day audible and rode Hoot, Scott's Flat and Miners today for the first time.

Felt humid there, not something I feel often in California.

What is the recommended way to climb back from Miner's and Scotts Flat? I ended up on two roads that really didn't seem right. Scotts is bi-directional, but seems like you're gonna get squashed if you try to ride up it. Lot shorter than the way I took though.

If you like to send it, Miner's has a lot of right side hits.

My Covid-fitness = no fitness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shapethings View Post
    Made a late day audible and rode Hoot, Scott's Flat and Miners today for the first time.

Felt humid there, not something I feel often in California.

What is the recommended way to climb back from Miner's and Scotts Flat? I ended up on two roads that really didn't seem right. Scotts is bi-directional, but seems like you're gonna get squashed if you try to ride up it. Lot shorter than the way I took though.

If you like to send it, Miner's has a lot of right side hits.

My Covid-fitness = no fitness.
    Scott's Flatt..either shuttle or pedal back up the road, which isn't bad.

Miners park across the street from the exit of trail and shuttle back up or pedal road back to single track and take that back up.

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Rode UC Sunday. Busy in some spots, not so bad in others. Dirt was Primo. BBQ and beers after.

mtbr member
    10 local. Mid loop put in two more features on the pump track. It is officially 50% done, woot!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fourarm View Post
    Vacaville, not really what most consider East Bay.
    Is it those loops on Strava just off 80 and Lagoon Valley Park? Vacaville is a safe location in that not many folks who don't live in Vacaville would bother.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I typically start at the lake and do the dirt road climb up Casci Rd. to start. Nice, relatively mellow climb and then you can finish on Scotts and at your car.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by cave man View Post
    Rode UC Sunday. Busy in some spots, not so bad in others. Dirt was Primo. BBQ and beers after.
    Dirt really was super nice out there. I rode over to UC from Scotts Valley yesterday morning. What a freaking glorious day! It's nice to be at a place where I can ride a couple of UC laps and still feel strong on the way home.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

fabricator
    Yes “townieville” FKA Pioneer was a zoo of people but above Whitecloud seemed to take me back to the old days of MTB when you were glad to see a hiker , horse or other biker in the woods and could actually have a quick hello!
    Some muddy wet spots , but few and far between.
    Lost, confused, in debt.. shoes, shorts, helmet, bike, pedaling, directed, stoked. Up thehill now in GV
    ourjam

mtbr member
    Got in 2 runs on Braille today..dirt and dust is holding but not for long ..surprisingly quiet. Upper parking lot near full when we pulled in at 830am

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

the half breed devil
    late this morning, i picked up a voice call from joe the crusher asking me if i was down with a 3:00-3:30pm start. i readily agreed, as my experience during the siege has been most of the roadies and casuals are headed back south at that hour, meaning our own southbound run across the golden gate should be pretty smooth during our return trip.

following the groan-sweat-and-swear up conzelman road and the warp-speed-but-under-control down the hard-pack-and-marbles coastal trail to rodeo valley, we decided to make a clockwise loop through the headlands back to the 4-20 tree adjacent to the old shooting range.

May 22-28 ride report-screen-shot-2020-05-25-8.18.58-pm.jpg

May 22-28 ride report-img-7154.jpg

May 22-28 ride report-img-7153.jpg

the fire trail back down into rodeo valley via the alta avenue trail is just a bit steep and treacherous, never mind some of the sharp turns and runoff gullies filled with sharp shards of rock combined with the marin headlands' ubiquitous hardpack-and-marbles. since i'd never descended this fire trail during all my years riding marin, i took it really easy until the grade smoothed out a tad.

there was no cramping as i crept up the coastal fire trail on the war pig, but i was nonetheless happy to see the EMPTY parking lot at the top of the CLOSED conzelman road, where i was able to view the tops of the towers of the golden gate bridge looking south and east, while to the north and west of me a haze began to settle over the hills behind the EMPTY parking lot.

May 22-28 ride report-img-7156.jpg

May 22-28 ride report-img_3632.jpg

tomorrow is a day off the bike--recovery at age 58 is not the same as it was at age 35 or even 50.

by that time, i'll have been to the shop to pick up the karate monkey and its new wheelset, and maybe, just maybe i'll have built up the jizmo to pedal that thing over the bridge to the hills.

we'll see.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    25 e-miles around UC-Wilder today. There's still dark meat out there if you know where to look. Hwy 9 was packed and scary. With the combo of heat and closed beaches, everybody was headed for the river.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    As a second homeowner in Tahoe I had a good excuse to be up here besides the riding. But since I'm up here I had an absolutely awesome week of riding. I rode 5 days, Armstrong Connector, Sidewinder, Corral twice, Star Lake (but the top was snowed in), Monument Peak, Kingsbury Stinger, Cold Creek DH (twice) and I went and bouldered 2 days. I love Tahoe in the spring time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Nice! Truckee riding really well too. Still snowy above 8k, especially on north and east aspects. Trails are as busy as I've ever seen. Nice to see people out recreating, and everyone has been super friendly and nice out on the trails.

Been riding 267 area, Jackass area, Tahoe Donner, and Glenshire. Driving on 89 on Monday morning (today) at 10:00 am, we counted 51 (!!!!) cars parked along 89 near the Jackass TH. Who knows how many more were parked up the road or at Savemart or what have you. Pretty amazing. Glad to see the trails getting lots of love.

Should have a couple nice days of sun, and then hopefully a bit more moisture.

Been a good time to focus on discovering new trails.

mtbr member

Ridge Riders spotted

Rode Kennedy trail with a "few in the crew" Sunday. We crossed paths with a fun group of 4 guys who were on day 4 of a group ride. They parked the cars in Benicia and ended up their last day on Kennedy trail. They were using "Sportlegs" Lactate to help out.
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

Up In Smoke
    Hot hot hot. Not really digging this heat wave but it keeps people off the trails, plus I got a nice bicep tan going.

Rumor has it a local kid graduated high school and then everested Tassajara road the next day. I've done the climb a few times and its brutal, this kid did 10 laps in the heat and survived the fast/rocky descent. Very impressive, the first successful off-road everesting attempt that I know of.

High school racing breeds some strong riders.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    Rode Kennedy trail with a "few in the crew" Sunday. We crossed paths with a fun group of 4 guys who were on day 4 of a group ride. They parked the cars in Benicia and ended up their last day on Kennedy trail. They were using "Sportlegs" Lactate to help out.
    Sportleggs is the shit! I use it sometimes snowboarding if I know its going to be a long day, or on a vacation when I really want to just roll 8-4. Drink lots of fluid and take it every couple hours or so. No side effects and really you legs keep working when you know they should be done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Hot hot hot. Not really digging this heat wave but it keeps people off the trails, plus I got a nice bicep tan going.

Rumor has it a local kid graduated high school and then everested Tassajara road the next day. I've done the climb a few times and its brutal, this kid did 10 laps in the heat and survived the fast/rocky descent. Very impressive, the first successful off-road everesting attempt that I know of.

High school racing breeds some strong riders.
    Kiwi Bradshaw just did this on a proper BC trail with an Enduro bike. Very impressive on any bike or terrain though.

Up In Smoke
    ^^Impressive!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

I love Tahoe

This is riding out of the garage. Just hop on your bike and ride up a mountain. I'm not sure why I haven't moved up here yet.

May 22-28 ride report-img_4016.jpg

May 22-28 ride report-img_4020.jpg

May 22-28 ride report-img_4041.jpg

mtbr member
    Monday, Memorial Day 2020.

May 22-28 ride report-16640ad9-e9ef-4961-9fe1-de3eba6904ed.jpeg

Auburn - Was not feeling on my game so stayed out of Mammoth Bar OHV and opted to drop some LSD* instead. Up Confluence Shortcut Connector, around Forest Hill Divide Loop CCW, and down Connector Culvert Confluence. All of the riders I encountered on the climb caught and passed me. The majority were on ebikes, but those rapscallions on regular bikes were passing me just the same. Harrumph. Almost biffed a couple of times but managed to keep the rubber side down. whew. Also paid particular attention to hydration so no leg cramps. yay.

Afterwards, i took my little one and her bff to the river to cool off. They hadn’t seen each other in two quarantined months, so happy times for the snot-nosed buggers.

May 22-28 ride report-b7480a25-a2f6-44b7-bb83-eb0748e6b32f.jpg

be cool, peeps, it gonna be hot this week.

* Long Slow Distance

also: the parking area at the confluence has been re-opened. the berms on culvert which were perfect 8 weeks ago are now stutter bumped as all get out. and i have no issue with ebikes. that said, a fair amount of ebike pilots would definitely benefit from a basic trail etiquette lesson. trooth.
    Last edited by parkmeister; 1 Week Ago at 08:33 PM.
    51% smartass, 49% dumbass

Instagram: _parkmeister

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    Got a solid 4k elevation today between Fremont older and Montebello. It’s been a long time since I’ve done good long ride and it felt great.

Trails were dry but not overly dusty. Encountered a lot of hikers and bikers; more than expected.
    Rode Fremont Older on Sunday. At 5pm, the Prospect Road lot was totally full, with 1 or 2 cars just idling/waiting for someone to leave. Parked down at the intersection with Rolling Hills Road and rode back up the 1/4 mile.

Very dry, but not too dusty. Lots of hikers on the trails and everyone was accommodating but just too many folks on the trails to cut very loose.

mtbr member
    Because of the heat, just wanted to do a quick rip today. Rode a couple of laps at Coyote Valley Park. Not bad a bad option but short. Well built non-technical single-ish double track. Similar to Calero trails, but steeper. One loop is 3.5 miles and 600 vertical feet. Would have been better, but I forgot my shoes so had to ride street shoes with small clipless pedals. Doh!! Not recommended.

mtbr member
    No ride report yet and I want to swap out some parts before I ride them, but just picked up this bad boy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    No ride report yet and I want to swap out some parts before I ride them, but just picked up this bad boy.
    Nice. Drinking white claw helped me lose 5 lbs.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Did my usual loop at Annadel Thursday. Not crowded and lots of good dirt.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Nice! Truckee riding really well too. Still snowy above 8k, especially on north and east aspects. Trails are as busy as I've ever seen. Nice to see people out recreating, and everyone has been super friendly and nice out on the trails.
    Upper Big Chief good to go?

My sense of space/time is out of sync due to the pandemic, hard to believe its basically June.

mtbr member
    Rode a quick 3, but dug on the pump track for over 2 hours in 100+ heat. When I ran out of water, I bailed quickly. Over half way done!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails May 22-28 ride report-2cc557d6-6553-4b80-9686-e7d19aeac1e8.jpg  

2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

Paper or plastic?

Been riding 267 area, Jackass area, Tahoe Donner, and Glenshire. Driving on 89 on Monday morning (today) at 10:00 am, we counted 51 (!!!!) cars parked along 89 near the Jackass TH. Who knows how many more were parked up the road or at Savemart or what have you. Pretty amazing. Glad to see the trails getting lots of love.

Should have a couple nice days of sun, and then hopefully a bit more moisture.

Been a good time to focus on discovering new trails.

Yet, as the Jackass area is pretty much one way, it doesn't feel that crowded on the trails. Rode the area twice, did 2 hikes with the family and another short local spin ride Monday night around Fremont. Great week-end.

Interestingly enough, saw a couple newbies on JA over the week-end. Trail is getting popular. Also crossed path with a lady coming down the upper fireroad in the area. She told me that she got lost and couldn't find the single track. I was a little surprised and she was gone before I could help.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

fc
    Miles from home, setting sun, hungry mosquitoes... and there’s a big stick in my Minions
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^^ Did you ride it out? Hitch? Phone a friend?!

mtbr member
    No pics. Rode 3 added 1 roller and called it quits. Hot and humid today!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    How was the snow going up Monument?
    "9 mile skid on a 10 mile ride, hot as a pistol, but cool inside"

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    ^^ Did you ride it out? Hitch? Phone a friend?!
    I had a pump that worked. Had a tube. Had lights too!!

Texted wife and said I’d be home at pm. Looked for a clearing and went to work fast as the skeeters has dinner. Rallied down JohnNicholas and made it home in the dark. Yes!
    IPA will save America

the half breed devil
    today was New Wheelset Day!

nothing fancy--just new WTB asym I-29's for the SS, laced to a hope pro four hub out back and the no-name front hub from my KHS solo one's wheel. since the karate monkey is rigid and i don't plan on tearing through any savage babyhead gardens --or sending twenty foot doubles or whatever the young'uns slang that kind of stuff, my pot-bellied 58 year old ass will be just fine.

May 22-28 ride report-img_7166.jpg

i tested those wheels in golden gate park today, trying not to get annoyed at the poor disoriented worker bees who are barred from their once bustling hives by the current public health crisis:

May 22-28 ride report-screen-shot-2020-05-27-7.33.10-pm.jpg

as usual, i'm always able to find bits of solitude and unoccupied singletrack trails throughout the park--i made sure to hit the three hundred yard stretch northwest of the golf course running along fulton street...

May 22-28 ride report-img_7171.jpg

and wound up riding another fun section north of the buffalo paddock and west of the dog training area:

May 22-28 ride report-img_7167.jpg

following a perfunctory visit to the great highway and relatively busy ocean beach (where i didn't take pictures, awful light), i decided to make a circuit on the web of singletrack trails around the polo field, including one of my favorite sections, especially on a rigid singlespeed, the Homeless-Tried-To-Burn-Down-The-Twisted-Tea-Tree-Forest between the casting ponds and the polo fields:

May 22-28 ride report-img_7174.jpg

thirteen miles in the park alone is a pretty good day--nothing compared to thirteen miles at el corte madera or even china camp, but it's thirteen miles on 95% singletrack trails on a rigid singlespeed.

that's better than lounging around the house watching horrible reality crime shows about the son of a loving mother who went sideways and shot up a mall, right?

the wheels are fun. they're faster than the ancient sun/ringle rhyno something or others i lifted from my KHS when i got the surly, and they're TUBELESS, which means i can run 'em a bit soft. the fact the ID of the WTB's is 29mm as compared to 22mm on the old rims might help as well, allowing the conti 2.4's to lay down a wider footprint or some shit like that.

i still waiting to grow enough hair on my back of my butt to pedal this bike on anything a little more difficult like climbing the miwok trail to the air control domes in marin--even though i used to five years ago.

stay safe, my friends and take advantage of our opportunity to ride maybe a little more than usual!

shekky out.

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    ...that's better than lounging around the house watching horrible reality crime shows about the son of a loving mother who went sideways and shot up a mall, right?
    Ha, ha, love it...there are whole tv channels devoted to those shows! (I admit to watching sometimes.) I always enjoy your ride reports

Yesterday I rode up to Borel Hill to find that someone had stolen the sign:

The Russian Ridge flower flower show is over but while resting at the wooden deck (for 45 mins! ...recovering in the cool marine breeze from a hot ride up) I spotted these:

Gopher snake:

Common, I know. But still you take a picture...
    Long live long rides