mtbr member

Maxxis Aggressor for Winter trails

I haven't ridden the aggressor in the winter around UC. Usually DHR2 is my go to.
    Debating to keep riding the aggressor or buy another dhr2.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    DHR2 def better braking power in winter (or really always IMO). I ride the aggressor year round in Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    High Roller II DD 2.5 is my rear. Handled Downieville like a champ.

Waiting for black friday or cyber monday deal to get a new one.

DHR2 is also a favorite as well.

I'm a contrarian on the aggressor, wasn't a fan.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Endubro45 View Post
    DHR2 def better braking power in winter (or really always IMO). I ride the aggressor year round in Santa Cruz.
    Agree. DHR II is the mud and debris shedder
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aggressor will work in the wet but itís definitely not the optimized tire for those conditions.

I have yet to find anything better than a DHF front and rear. But I have a Magic Mary sitting in my garage so I will give that a go in the front soon.

*I donít ride in actual muddy conditions very often.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I just bought new I9 rims, so I'm gonna jump on the Minion/Aggressor train.
    Last edited by NRP; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:50 AM.

Trail Gnome
    Winter time is the only time I run a DHR2, in the rear; the rest of the year Iíll run an Aggressor. The Aggressors knobs are too short and tightly spaced for proper mud shedding...it tends to pack up. As you know, everyone has their own opinion...Iíd recommend doing a comparison test your self

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I love this rear tire. Rode it in the sloppy wet in the Alps and it did just fine. I also rode a slaughter and that did surprising well too. Minion would give you better all out braking and cornering but you give up a lot on the climbs imho. Great all around tire if youíre lazy to not change out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Although the DHR2 is good, i've always wondered if the tread pattern makes it too drifty in the mud, I ran one before and remember I had issues when going up muddy stuff at an angle, otherwise the DHR2 seemed pretty good. Anyone ever have issues? They are similar to the dhf but I always felt that the tread pattern made them slightly more drifty even in the dry, but of course they have better climbing and braking traction than running a dhf.

DHF front/ rear is pretty good until trails get extremely muddy, but probably to the point that its not even worth riding them.

The High roller 2 is incredibly slow normally but I had one on the front before (2.3) and it was a total beast for wet riding. If things get extremely wet they are a good choice.

I have a worn aggressor on the rear of my bike right now and am wondering too if it will hold up, I think if its only slightly wet it will be okay.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input. Definitely a fan of dhr2 on the rear during winter.. maybe I'll just try a few rides.with aggressor and see how it does...

mtbr member
    Worst thing about the aggressor is that it's dual compound only, so wet rocks and roots it's a bit more slippery.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Aggressor definitely does not shed mud very well, so I pulled until next spring. For what it's worth, I just put a Butcher on the rear for winter. It's faster than the DHF and sheds better than the DHRII. That is paired with a DHF front on one bike, Assegai on the front of the other.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraapTastic View Post
    Aggressor definitely does not shed mud very well, so I pulled until next spring. For what it's worth, I just put a Butcher on the rear for winter. It's faster than the DHF and sheds better than the DHRII. That is paired with a DHF front on one bike, Assegai on the front of the other.
    Waiting for Assagai in exo for the front.

I'm really diggin it!
    I run an Aggressor in the PNW with good results so far. Conditions pretty similar to UCSC after a rain...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The Aggressor has pretty closely packed knobs, meaning it wonít dig into the dirt quite as much as a DHR and will pack up in in the mud.

Have you thought about the new WTB offerings? Iíve been rocking the updated Trail Boss 2.6. Itís a solid tire for nearly any conditions with the new soft triple compound.
    Last edited by Bike Bandito; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:09 AM. Reason: Spelling

Keep on Rockin...
    The Aggressor is a better dry weather tire both by tread design and pretty sure it only comes in a dual compound.

The DHRII even in a DC is pretty good when slick, but even better in a 3c.

The High Roller is when its wet and there is an issue with the tires packing.

Our local trails are often slick and wet, but rarely do I run into packing issues so I like the DHR2 in either DC or 3c.

When I travel back to ride in my original hometown, it too is often wet, but very rocky, are even when wet, rarely slick. So there I go with the Aggressor.

Formerly dvo
    After riding Aptos today the Aggressor will come off for a DHR or a Highroller for the winter. The Aggressor packs up solid.
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Rode UC today on it and it was ok. I did appreciate the rolling vs a dhr2 but I think I appreciate the confidence of the dhr2 so probably go back to one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Same boat here... I've always ridden with a DHR2 in the rear and no complaints. It's going to be the first fall season for me with an Aggressor in the rear. Will need to see how much I'm giving up in traction. Though, as one poster mentioned earlier... I do feel like the DHR2 gets drifty at certain angles, especially when encountering wet roots. Running a DHR2 in the front has been sketchy for me at times.

fc
    At Demo yesterday, there were some soft spots at the bottom of Flow Trail. The aggressor packed up. Minion DHF packed up a little Minion DHR shed pretty good. Tried this new tire called the Forekaster and id did very well.

Forekaster on the left and Aggressor on the rightMaxxis Aggressor for Winter trails-img_0984.jpg

rolls good too

Maxxis Aggressor for Winter trails-img_0912.jpg

Maxxis Aggressor for Winter trails-img_0907.jpg

Maxxis Aggressor for Winter trails-img_0910.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I have an aggressor mounted out back on my Hightower. I'll be swapping it out as soon as my order for Maxxis Shortys arrives! I found the Aggressor to be great for dusty Summer/early fall NorCal conditions, but once the rain and mud arrived, I found myself sliding unpredictably all over the trail, especially on steeper sections.

I have a Minnion DHR mounted up front-- which is pretty consistent in all kinds of weather.

NedwannaB
    HB, Iím a newbie(2 rides, 1 Tamarancho/1 Annadel) as far as having the DH tires, and I see a lot of reports on them. I thought the F ment front,R ment rear but have seen some noting Downhill Freeride and Downhill Race. Have also seen people running them in reverse. Your thoughts?
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    HB, Iím a newbie(2 rides, 1 Tamarancho/1 Annadel) as far as having the DH tires, and I see a lot of reports on them. I thought the F ment front,R ment rear but have seen some noting Downhill Freeride and Downhill Race. Have also seen people running them in reverse. Your thoughts?
    As far as DHR aand DHF, we used to think that they are rear and front specific and 90% of bikes that use them are spec'd that way. But they are interchangeable.

The Hightower was spec'd with DHR front and rear and it offered amazing braking. DHF is good for tracking and directional stability.

Here's a primer on Maxxis: https://reviews.mtbr.com/maxxis-tire...s-best-for-you
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Short answer - it doesn't really matter (maxxis.com probably has what DHF and DHR means). The DHF is typically a front tire, but people run them front and back with good results.

So even if Maxxis intended it as a front tire doesn't mean that's how people are going to use it.

mtbr member
    Aggressor wasnt too bad in Santa Cruz going down but I did almost kill my jewels 2x on the stem, due to slipping on wet roots climbing...dhr2 will save my jewels lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    At Demo yesterday, there were some soft spots at the bottom of Flow Trail. The aggressor packed up. Minion DHF packed up a little Minion DHR shed pretty good. Tried this new tire called the Forekaster and id did very well.

Forekaster on the left and Aggressor on the rightClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0984.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	484.7 KB 
ID:	1228206

rolls good too
    That's my packed up Aggressor 2.5. Probably pack up more with 2.3. It was bit sketchy on the wet roots down Braille as well. But this is not the PNW - our wet is still very rideable.

I bought the XR2 to drop some weight and I plan to mount soon once it dries up a little.