mtbr member
    Nov 2013

MARIN: Region 5 comments due today (10/20)

According to A4B, the MCOSD R5 comments are due Today! That's sleepy hollow, terra linda, San Rafaei (home of the 'back side' of China Camp).

That means you should comment on it now! MCBC has a semi- automated form:

https://www.marinbike.org/news/offro...m-designation/

If you ride there, send in comments now.

mtbr member

Things like this always make me nervous when dealing with MCOSD and Mcbc. We got totally screwed in region 3 a few years back and this has the same feel. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    If you want to say something else, say something else! I don't know these trails well enough to say if what they're asking for is good or not, but they link to the presentation etc. so you can make your own opinion.

mtbr member

I know the area fairly well. They’re suggesting folks ask for bike access to the jcc social trail (segment 32200 on the MCOSD map) off San Pedro ridge, and ask for bike access to the existing white oaks trail. Jcc is proposed for decommissioning. It currently has high ranger danger but it’s a fun 1000-1200ish vert descent that would be a great score as a legal option and would suck to lose. Send the email!!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    If you want to say something else, say something else! I don't know these trails well enough to say if what they're asking for is good or not, but they link to the presentation etc. so you can make your own opinion.
    Already done. I won't go into the issues marin residents, like myself, face and how mcbc has not only failed to get more single track access, but in fact made it worse. That can easily be found.

In Marin the best policy is "shut up and ride"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    I know the area fairly well. They’re suggesting folks ask for bike access to the jcc social trail (segment 32200 on the MCOSD map) off San Pedro ridge, and ask for bike access to the existing white oaks trail. Jcc is proposed for decommissioning. It currently has high ranger danger but it’s a fun 1000-1200ish vert descent that would be a great score as a legal option and would suck to lose. Send the email!!
    It'll never happen, and once jcc is gone all of the heat will move to WO.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_twin View Post
    It'll never happen, and once jcc is gone all of the heat will move to WO.

So sad but so true.....
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    according to a4b, the mcosd r5 comments are due today! That's sleepy hollow, terra linda, san rafaei (home of the 'back side' of china camp).

That means you should comment on it now! Mcbc has a semi- automated form:

https://www.marinbike.org/news/offro...m-designation/

if you ride there, send in comments now.
    done!

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    I sent the email. I must say the Marin process is a strong argument against government. It’s exhausting just to think about, and leaves me with nothing so much as the feeling that the Open Space would be healthier if they fired 90% of the staff and focused on safety, fire protection, and actual trail building and maintenance. That said I’m glad at least that the MCBC, A4B and others are trying and will do my part.

Of course, the Marin government thinks that a road big enough for a column of M-1 tanks is a “trail” so until they learn that fire roads are not and will never be “trails”, there is little hope.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_twin View Post
    Already done. I won't go into the issues marin residents, like myself, face and how mcbc has not only failed to get more single track access, but in fact made it worse. That can easily be found.

In Marin the best policy is "shut up and ride"

I'm well aware of the issues, I live here too. "Shut up and ride" is fine until trails are decommissioned. when Kneecap was proposed for decommissioning, did you show up to the RTMP workshops to ask (beg) for it to adopted, or left alone, rather than decommissioned? the silence from the community was palpable. there certainly was no coordinated email campaign from mcbc or a4b to save the crown jewel of san g ridge.

I'm not naive, I know the likelihood of them changing the proposed designation of JCC is slim to none. but now is the time for folks to acknowledge the existence of this trail, before it is gone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    I'm well aware of the issues, I live here too. "Shut up and ride" is fine until trails are decommissioned. when Kneecap was proposed for decommissioning, did you show up to the RTMP workshops to ask (beg) for it to adopted, or left alone, rather than decommissioned? the silence from the community was palpable. there certainly was no coordinated email campaign from mcbc or a4b to save the crown jewel of san g ridge.

I'm not naive, I know the likelihood of them changing the proposed designation of JCC is slim to none. but now is the time for folks to acknowledge the existence of this trail, before it is gone.
    My biggest issue with the system now and mcbc is that they are handing over maps with every social trail clearly marked to MCOSD and then telling the cycling community that we'll get some back and some adopted. What have we gotten exactly? We sure have lost some good trails, others are now highly scrutinized, and for what? A few miles of paved bike path. F that. I'll stick with "shut up and ride".

mtbr member
    I'm not some apologist for MCBC or the RTMP. When no one objects to the closure of bike trails, open space can just assume no one cares. If they're not coming for your trail of choice today, don't kid yourself, they will be soon enough. I don't really care about JCC per se, it's not in my backyard and I rarely ride it. I oppose decommissioning long-standing bike trails that have been ridden and maintained for years without conflict.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Comments are still being accepted until Oct 30.

I attended a presentation by Mr. Campo (the MCOSD official ref'd on the MCBC page). He stated that a change in the 'official designated use' (his term) for the Wood Oak trail is not part of this process and is unlikely to be considered.

The JCC trail is definitely open for re-designation and we should send our comments. He stated that one main issue with it is that there is not clear public access at the end of the trail. that may be tackled another time....

2 other trails on MCOSD region 5 that are open for redesignation:
    trail #29275 - a short connector at the top of Fawn Drive, to complete a link to Fox Lane.

trail #320000: this is not on the MCBC or the (public) MCOSD maps, but riders in the area may know of it: In China Camp, at the bottom of Hitler Trail where it meets the fire road at the ridge saddle. On the south of the saddle (left) is the existing JT Howell trail. Trail 320000 goes North (right) down the STEEP canyon and on down the canyon to N. San Pedro Rd. behind the Jehovah's Witness Hall & 7-11 store. (This is not same as the commonly ridden 7-11 Trail).

It's not maintained, a rough hike, and IMHO a 'triple black diamond' trail for mtb'ers, way over my head. You can find the trail on this map at CalTopo.com- zoom in to the location & you'll see a dashed red line.

I only bring it up because a) trail 320000 is open for redesignation, and b) it could someday be a viable route down the north side of San Pedro Mtn if the JCC trail is 'decommissioned'.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    I don't know the story about Kneecap; I don't/didn't know that trail. But I attended one of the RTMP meetings for San Geronimo Ridge, the one where Perinickel and nearby trails like Countour, Landbridge, Super8, etc were discussed a few years ago. We MTBers showed up in force and vastly outnumbered the hiking-sticks-only crowd.

The 300-or-so-page EIR for those trail "improvements" was a testament to how absurd this whole process is. But some real good came of the fact that we showed up, and did more than just shut up and ride. Perinickel and a few other good trails survive despite concerted opposition; extensive needed improvements to a couple disintegrated parts of Perinickel are in place and nicely bedding in, and not too much sanitization occurred.

As for China Camp and environs, the less said the better.