Marin IJ Editorial, Here we go again- Mtbr.com
    trancho
    Mar 2007

Marin IJ Editorial, Here we go again

I'm not sure how to post this editorial that was in theMarin IJ today. Seems like more and more of the anti bike crowd are advocates for bike licensing to help identify the perceived scofflaws. Wonder if the same will apply to horses if push comes to shove. This county sure likes to make laws so nothing will surprise me.

http://www.marinij.com/marinvoice/ci_15875309

mtbr member
    Have you read the comments?

Missi Giovi: Asking mountain bikers to follow "rules" is like asking me to stop growing weed.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    from the comments: "Why is it that bikes and hikers can co-exist on singletrack trails everywhere in the country except for Marin County?"

I've never had a problem at China Camp as a biker or hiker. Everyone is friendly. As a hiker, if figure it's easier for me to step to the side of the trail to let the mt. biker go by than have him/her get off their bike and yield to me. As a biker, I slow down and see what the hiker wants to do. Seems most people behave this way. Even the horse-people are nice.

I guess my point is, it seems that a very small vocal minority is speaking for the masses, when the masses don't really seem to mind sharing trails in Marin County at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    It seems that regardless of how objective an article tries to be, proponents on either side find a way to interpret the article differently based on their particular point of view. Anti-bikers get amped, pro-bikers get defensive. It's unfortunate that out of all the things to focus on, the IJ consistently, on a near monthly basis, dredges up these articles. The economy, status of Social Security, climate change, the increasingly rampant violence in other parts of the bay are not nearly as important as opinionated editorials on bike access... give me break.

The interactions described in the articles, or usage of trails are often exaggerated and generalized which only leads to turmoil. In my experience hikers/cyclist/equestrians are all generally civil and quite caring of each other. It's a very small minority who are actually behaving in the way which anti-bikers constantly preach about.

as some have pointed out, restricting access on all single track is not the answer. In fact, often looking at gps plots from rides, we ride significantly slower on single track (max speeds usually within the "speed limits") vs fire road (have had some scary fast averages and maxes coming off fireroads). Everyone I know rarely if ever have any "close calls" on singletrack but all have had "close calls" on wide open fireroads. Just food for thought.

It's about showing up.

Boy, what a non-reaction!

Fair and balanced in favor of the status quo.

I grow weary.

Like a boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by markj2k4
    It's unfortunate that out of all the things to focus on, the IJ consistently, on a near monthly basis, dredges up these articles. The economy, status of Social Security, climate change, the increasingly rampant violence in other parts of the bay are not nearly as important as opinionated editorials on bike access... give me break.
    I think the people in Marin who care about actual news (and there are plenty of them, despite appearances) stopped reading the I-J ages ago, so the paper is left publishing "articles" that only appeal to a shrinking, aging leadership that has little to worry about besides their estate trusts and ruffians on bicycles. What I find particularly amusing is that the I-J sports section is constantly publishing articles about how the success of local high school MTB teams and riders - in fact, they just published a glowing (if inaccurate - the girl can change her own tires!) article about Drake rider Sofia Hamilton a couple of days ago. It's almost like there's competing editors over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

mtbr member
    People still read the IJ? lol.

TC
    mtbr member
    the MIJ is a trip.

searched the archives for another MTB discussion and stumbled across this...an editorial on leash laws and pet lizards in public parks.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...0&p_docnum=158
    if the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will

trancho
    Mar 2007
    I think there is a compelling argument to be made on behalf of single track advocates in regards to obtaining more access to more places in light of the illicit growing operations taking place throughout our state as mentioned before. The site degradation left behind from a single growing season far out weighs the effects of a single track. The more eyes and ears in the remote parts of our public spaces would serve as a deterrent to the growers. I'm an advocate for personal choice and I hope prop 19 passes but if it does I think it will invite even more people to try and set up grow sites throughout the state.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just look at the authors of the article...Horse Council.

The article cannot be objective , unless they bring in someone that is not using the trails.

It's about showing up.

Has anyone ever written an editorial

from the mtb point of view and had it published in the IJ?

Like a boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    from the mtb point of view and had it published in the IJ?
    Lisa Luzzi from Access 4 Bikes wrote one and it was published late last year.

http://www.marinij.com/marinvoice/ci_13915819

I have mixed feelings about fighting this fight in the IJ. They have a financial incentive to make this issue as controversial as possible when it's actually a non-issue for 85% of the local population. The guy who writes most of the articles about trail access (Mark Prado) is the same guy who writes all of the environmentally-themed articles. I've been interviewed by him on the latter in the past and I'm not terribly impressed with his reporting skills.

Like a boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick
    Just look at the authors of the article...Horse Council.

The article cannot be objective , unless they bring in someone that is not using the trails.
    The interesting thing is that increasingly, the Marin Horse Council is not speaking for all Marin equestrians. More and more riders feel that Connie's approach is unreasonable and overly combative, and they're slowly reaching out on their own. I'm an equestrian too and the MHC certainly doesn't speak for me.

It's about showing up.

Now I remember that editorial. Thanks.

I get the feeling that the Editorials in the IJ are like setting odds in las Vegas; they don't predict who will win or who is right but create the most "action."

I really wonder, though I have contributed there, about the actual function of the comments section. It makes MTBR look scholarly and well-mannered

mtbr member
    I really wonder, though . . . about the actual function of the [Marin Independent-Journal's] comments section. It makes MTBR look scholarly and well-mannered
    But wait . . . mtbr.com IS scholarly and well-mannered. Is there any evidence to the contrary? What about the recent discussions on Thucydides and Csar's Gallic Wars?

Like a boss.
    I get the feeling that the Editorials in the IJ are like setting odds in las Vegas; they don't predict who will win or who is right but create the most "action."

I really wonder, though I have contributed there, about the actual function of the comments section. It makes MTBR look scholarly and well-mannered
    My guess is page views. Every time a crazy gets into a fight in the comments section, they'll continue to refresh the page so they can keep on arguing. Page views drive advertising rates. Otherwise, it's a complete waste of programming effort; the comments add NOTHING productive to the dialogue.

It's about showing up.

Thudbusters and Caesar Salad Wars?

I missed that. A good Caesar Salad defines a restaurant.

Thanks for the insight on ad revenue. Those discussions certainly don't illuminate anything.

Members who have read this thread: 0