Marin Headlands- Mtbr.com

Thread: Marin Headlands

mtbr member

Marin Headlands

Hello all,

The Marin Headlands is a new riding place for me, so I am trying to get as much info as possible. I have searched websites, but I can't seem to find any info on this particular trail. Last week we rode up a fire road trail just opposite of the Coastal Trail, I think it's the Bobcat trail (not sure). We were forced to turn around, running out of daylight. This fire road looks like it would loop around to the other side of the fire road trail. If you're riding up the trail, the other trail is on your left. We are going to attempt this trail tomorrow, will this loop around or are you forced to turn around when you reach the top?

Or if anyone can suggest any trail I would love to know more about this area too, that would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!
    Last edited by LJ0913; 06-01-2004 at 01:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hi, and welcome to the board. do you ride other spots in the bay area or are you new to the area?

anyway, i ride the headlands fairly often. i love riding in there even though it's not that technical (except in a couple of spots). here's the loop that i usually do, there are obviously tons more but this one works for me, takes me about 2 1/2 hours or thereabouts. i'm a decent rider, nothing spectacular and not that fast.

i park in the little lot just adjacent to the golden gate bridge on the marin side. i ride up the road to an intersection, then drop into the park on coastal trail which is straight ahead at the t. i take coastal down (nice easy downhill) and across bunker road until it intersects bobcat. i ride bobcat all the way up until it intersects marincinello trail and then head downhill. marincinello is a fast downhill all the way to the stables. from the stables i ride down the tennessee valley trail to tennessee beach (easy trail, lots of traffic but i like riding to the ocean). then i ride back up to the stables and then take old springs trail up out of the stables. this is the toughest part of the ride, nothing terrible but steeper and rockier than the rest. from the top i take miwok down to the valley, cross the road and climb back out the coastal trail. for some reason the bottom of coastal is tougher than it looks (maybe i'm just tired by this time). up to the top again and fly down the road back to the parking lot.

here's a link to a trail map:

http://www.nps.gov/goga/maps/pdf/map-mahe.pdf

there are tons of other trails to do, this one is just what i've found to be a great loop for me.

mtbr member

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I am new to the SF/Marin area. I grew-up riding Rockville, Tilden Park, Mt. Saint Helena, Napa area. I am new to Mt. Tam, and Marin Headlands. I work/live in SF, and the Marin Headlands seems to be a good place to get a ride in after work. Thanks for taking the time to write, I will print out your loop, and I'll attempt it tomorrow.

This is one great forum, I came accross it last week!

Thanks,
    -Larry

Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive
    hi, and welcome to the board. do you ride other spots in the bay area or are you new to the area?

anyway, i ride the headlands fairly often. i love riding in there even though it's not that technical (except in a couple of spots). here's the loop that i usually do, there are obviously tons more but this one works for me, takes me about 2 1/2 hours or thereabouts. i'm a decent rider, nothing spectacular and not that fast.

i park in the little lot just adjacent to the golden gate bridge on the marin side. i ride up the road to an intersection, then drop into the park on coastal trail which is straight ahead at the t. i take coastal down (nice easy downhill) and across bunker road until it intersects bobcat. i ride bobcat all the way up until it intersects marincinello trail and then head downhill. marincinello is a fast downhill all the way to the stables. from the stables i ride down the tennessee valley trail to tennessee beach (easy trail, lots of traffic but i like riding to the ocean). then i ride back up to the stables and then take old springs trail up out of the stables. this is the toughest part of the ride, nothing terrible but steeper and rockier than the rest. from the top i take miwok down to the valley, cross the road and climb back out the coastal trail. for some reason the bottom of coastal is tougher than it looks (maybe i'm just tired by this time). up to the top again and fly down the road back to the parking lot.

here's a link to a trail map:

http://www.nps.gov/goga/maps/pdf/map-mahe.pdf

there are tons of other trails to do, this one is just what i've found to be a great loop for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    oh, and when i'm done i ride across the bridge and back. nice way to wind down (if the weather's good!!). let us know how you like it, one of my favorites because of the scenery...

mtbr member

We did....

That last week. We started at 6:30pm, and ran out of day light on the way back. I got the loop planned out, and I am looking forward to the ride tomorrow. Thanks again for the map, and the loop tip!

oh, and when i'm done i ride across the bridge and back. nice way to wind down (if the weather's good!!). let us know how you like it, one of my favorites because of the scenery...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ0913
    That last week. We started at 6:30pm, and ran out of day light on the way back. I got the loop planned out, and I am looking forward to the ride tomorrow. Thanks again for the map, and the loop tip!
    If your interested in riding the headlands at night we have a ride going on tomorrow night
    here's the link. http://www.tamvalleybikeclub.com/

mtbr member

Thanks for the invite, but...

Quote Originally Posted by cRasHmAstER
    If your interested in riding the headlands at night we have a ride going on tomorrow night
    here's the link. http://www.tamvalleybikeclub.com/

I have to catch a 5:00am flight to our LA office tomorrow morning. We are going to ride early tonight, but the night ride sounds like a blast, and a must for the next one. I would love to join you guys for a Sunday ride too. Thanks again - have fun tonight!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    so did you ever ride the headlands--what did you think?

mtbr member

Great views!

so did you ever ride the headlands--what did you think?
    It was a fun ride, with GREAT views! We hit Bobcat trail, and looped down the other side of the trail. It was only 6.5 miles, but mostly uphill. We enjoyed it! I would like to explore mt. tam more. Any suggestions on trails there??

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I've ridden some of the fireroad loops there once or twice recently (this is my first season on a mountain bike)

There's GG Bridge to Conzelman (paved) to Coastal to Miwok to Old Springs Trail to Marincello to Bobcat (and then back over Coastal, down Conzelman to the Bridge).

At the Tennessee Valley stables (where Old Springs meets Marincello), you can also do:

Tennessee Valley to Coastal (up the ridge) to Coastal (down to Muir Beach) to Middle Green Gulch (uphill only singletrack) to Coyote Ridge to Miwok (down to stables)

I had the most fun on Old Springs (downhill, wide singletrack), Middle Green Gulch (uphill singletrack), and Miwok (downhill from Coyote Ridge, singletrack at the end).

On a related note, I'm camping this weekend at Steep Ravine neer Stinson beach with some friends. Is the Lone Tree fireroad nearby generally ridable uphill? I can't really get a sense for its grade, other than it looks steep, but not as steep as the Willow Camp trail that I hear can't be ridden up (with an average grade of 25% or something ridiculous). Otherwise I'll drive to a trailhead... not going to risk road biking on hwy 1, especically on a weekend.

WWYD?

Lone tree trail is doable...

I can ride about 90% of the trail easily in granny. There are two sections, if I remember correctly that are rocky and almost impossible to clear without a walk and several dabs. And yes, Willow Camp is insane for the uphill and you need to pay attention on the downhill too.