Mammoth bike park opinions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Mammoth bike park opinions

Trying to plan out our family’s summer activities and was wondering what people thought of Mammoth bike park. We’ve been to Whistler on multiple occasions and absolutely love it, just looking for something more local to NorCal. I’ve been to Northstar a few times and feel disappointed after every visit. Our other options are Park City and Colorado. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nothing in California compares to Whistler. I thought Mammoth was more fun than Northstar, but the “dirt” there is even more loose.

mtbr member
    What did you love about Whistler? The trail quality, dirt quality, trail variety, village?

Mammoth is a great family bike park. Lots to do besides ride-swim,fish,hike etc.

Great scenery in the Mammoth area as well.

Mammoth offers more variety and elevation than Northstar.

Mammoth doesn't have "dirt". Mammoth has a super unique blend of rim deep kitty litter and forest duff. Mammoth utilizes paver berms in many turns and features. The variety in trail tread makes Mammoth pretty interesting-you'll go through rim deep kitty litter + hardpack + rocks + pavers + wood features in combination on many trails.

Mammoth has jump trails, but they are nowhere near as dialed as other popular parks. Still fun, but not on the level of Gravity Logic.
    Mammoth has some killer old skool DH.
    Mammoth has a ton of pedaly "cross stuntry" riding as well.
    There are a few big drops/near vertical rock gardens on the mountain as well.
    If new skool bike park flow is your thing, Mammoth is limited to a few trails.
    If variety is important, Mammoth has a lot to offer.

Mammoth likely won't be open top to bottom till 4th of July this year.

Park City=meh. Lots of cruiser XC. Fun, but many of the trails feel the same. Deer Valley has a nice mix of old skool + new skool and makes for a great weekend. Locals will tell you that PC offers everything(it does, but you've got to work to figure it out). Great town shuttle bus system to riding areas. Nice riding in the trees. If you want a mix of XC pedaling and park riding, it would be good. For resort riding, it is limited.

Colorado has good park riding. I'd suggest you hit a few resorts vs just sticking to Winter Park. You could tour through WP + Keystone + Crested Butte and or Steamboat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    have you thought about angel fire NM? its just south of the colorado border. No crowds, lots of riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11053 View Post
    What did you love about Whistler? The trail quality, dirt quality, trail variety, village?
    What’s not to love about Whistler? If you are into bike parks, it’s one of the best in the world. And if bike parks aren’t your gig, it also has some of the best Enduro trails you’ll find anywhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Awesome info. Thanks for all the replies. My wife has family that we plan on visiting this summer, and I had planned on driving back and hitting mammoth as well as some spots in the SLO area vs head north to Park City for a few days and hitting Lake Tahoe/Carson city on the way back. Just trying to get an idea on which route would be best.
    We love Whistler village and all of the additional activities that are not centered around cycling. With wife and kids, need to make sure they have things to do while I sneak off to ride for a few hours

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    What’s not to love about Whistler? If you are into bike parks, it’s one of the best in the world.
    LOL. If you are into mountain biking at all, Whistler is THE BEST place to ride in the world period, for all levels of riding.

Mammoth is awesome too. Good for all levels, great town, chill vibe. Way better than Northstar. But Tahoe in general is awesome. Lot's of great riding outside the bike park. Lots to do around Truckee and South Lake in general.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    not sure how knowledgeable you are on the SLO area riding, hit me up if you end up in the area and want any trail ideas.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by EDRN911 View Post
    Awesome info.
    We love Whistler village and all of the additional activities that are not centered around cycling. With wife and kids, need to make sure they have things to do while I sneak off to ride for a few hours
    This sounds like an argument for South Lake Tahoe to me. If you don’t like to climb there are plenty of shuttle options and great trails and lots to keep the family entertained.

Mammoth town is fairly dull in my opinion — it is all about the outdoors there and the town itself is fairly quiet in summer with lots of empty ski condos. So unless the family wants to fish / hike / boat up at the Lakes or Pinnacles, which are above the town (and are spectacular) forget it. I love Mammoth but would prefer to ride without lifts in most places and the kitty litter takes a lot of getting used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    What’s not to love about Whistler? If you are into bike parks, it’s one of the best in the world. And if bike parks aren’t your gig, it also has some of the best Enduro trails you’ll find anywhere.
    Hmm... you kind of flipped it around and made it negative.

The question was just trying to dig in what qualities the OP liked so the recommendations can be honed in.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I want to try the bike park at WhiteFish, MT. Only been there in the winter, really cool small town with Glacier National Park near by. Seems like a great family vacation spot just a bit of a haul from here.
    Last edited by Hel Mot; 05-30-2018 at 10:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    the town itself is fairly quiet in summer with lots of empty ski condos.
    Hasn't been my experience at all the last few years. It seems like there's a festival of some kind going on nearly every weekend July-September. Pretty sure summer occupancy actually exceeds the winter now.

The main town website has a good roundup of all the non-park stuff going on during the summer: https://www.visitmammoth.com/events
    buzzes like a fridge

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    This sounds like an argument for South Lake Tahoe to me. If you don’t like to climb there are plenty of shuttle options and great trails and lots to keep the family entertained.

Mammoth town is fairly dull in my opinion — it is all about the outdoors there and the town itself is fairly quiet in summer with lots of empty ski condos. So unless the family wants to fish / hike / boat up at the Lakes or Pinnacles, which are above the town (and are spectacular) forget it. I love Mammoth but would prefer to ride without lifts in most places and the kitty litter takes a lot of getting used to.

The last few years Mammoth has offered a TON to do in the summer. Almost every other week there is a "festival" of sorts. Never knew there was so much to festivate about, but Mammoth is on to something.

The Village offers lots for the family in the summer-lots of free outdoor movie nights, lots of music.

Check out what the town offers for the summer and plan accordingly- beer festivals, tequila festivals, hippy spinner jam rock, cover bands, BBQ + food cook offs, film festivals.

Yes, the town is pretty quiet outside of the village, but that is what is cool about it. Join the crowds or avoid them=you get to choose.

Plus, this year you get to pedal ebikes on the bike park trails as well as to the local watering holes.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    reviving and old thread as curious how context changes opinions.

I am considering a family trip soon.. mostly for good outdoors fun but also biking. Intermediate dad (me, no park experience), green and mellow wife, XC 8yo girl, and 6.5yo boy who is getting really into (small) jumps.

1. Should i bring my SC 5010, or rent something bigger? I'll mostly do blues, some blacks. would like some low consequence jump trails, e.g. tables, to improve my game

2. Is it fun for kids? I'm thinking they would really enjoy renting a nice DS for the day. Daughter will probably chill on low trails, but the son might enjoy an easy jump trail.

3.Will my wife kill me, if all she likes is flat fireroads

4. is it still a fun summer vacay without the events? we're excited for hiking, SUP or kayak on a lake, hit up a hot spring, etc. Thinking maybe the 4th weekend, assuming crowds wont be attracted without events?

mtbr member
    Mammoth is never really crowded in the summer. Tons of awesome lakes and mellow trails to take the family to. I think you will be fine riding your own bike there as long as you don’t seek out the hardest trails. Lots of moderately technical and flowy trails to be had.

mtbr member
    Yeah you will be fine with the 5010 if you stick to the blues and easier blacks. They have some trek fuel ex to rent for the kids.

There is some mellow stuff in the skill builder section of the mountain. The “downtown” trail that connects the different lift areas is ultra mellow and family friendly. I imagine your wife would enjoy that.

There is a learning curve riding there as the “dirt” is pretty unique.

Outside of the park there is lots of stuff to do outdoors. There are plenty of hikes that lead to lakes that aren’t too difficult.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    If Mammoth has the Discovery Zone open, I'd say there is no better place for kids to get used to resort riding. It is literally designed for that. Short laps, short (if any) lift lines. Features designed just to grow skills and comfort.

BUT double check to see if it is open.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thanks all for the feedback! Booked for next weekend 😁

I'll start in the skills park with kids, and see where I can get up to. On youtube the blacks look fine, but I'll work myself up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Any current updates on Mammoth Mtn trail conditions? Last year so many trails were closed due to late snow, but appears all are open this year. Has it been crowded? Are they limiting how many people can be on the bus?