Major tree work in Tilden Park- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Major tree work in Tilden Park

There is a major tree removal project going on in Tilden Park that has closed the junction of Meadows Canyon and Curran trails below Inspiration point. The trails are covered with downed trees and debris and are not passable. When I rode up there this morning there was little or no warning signs at the trail head by the little farm, but I think the signage has been improved.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Things of this nature seem to be occurring across the East Bay ridge. Lot of brush clearing and grading in Redwood and Chabot. There's a fleet of massive utility trucks parked at Sibley. Not sure if there is some master plan at play?

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly mac View Post
    There is a major tree removal project going on in Tilden Park that has closed the junction of Meadows Canyon and Curran trails below Inspiration point. The trails are covered with downed trees and debris and are not passable. When I rode up there this morning there was little or no warning signs at the trail head by the little farm, but I think the signage has been improved.
    I wonder where people will leave all their little colorful bags of dog shit?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The leaving of dog poop bags all over is not just a Marin thing?

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    The leaving of dog poop bags all over is not just a Marin thing?
    Berkeleyites are quite fond of the practice as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    with all of the trail widening and grading, the poop fairy should have improved access and thus should improve service.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by grundy View Post
    with all of the trail widening and grading, the poop fairy should have improved access and thus should improve service.
    That whole area has been homogenized to accommodate squadrons of strollers. I doubt I'll ever venture into Tilden or Wildcat by bicycle again. I'll miss seeing the dusky-footed wood rat towers, mushrooms, raptors, and a couple of the views, but that's about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    It seems to me that they are targeting the eucalyptus. Tilden and Wildcat have great views from the ridges. They are convenient parks for me to get a good climbing work out. No legal single track and lots of walkers. But I see a surprising amount of wildlife on my dawn rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm with pauly mac. I loop through Tilden and Wildcat on my gravel bike. There's some good views and no cars so...

A couple of times I've tried to night ride on my mtb, got hopelessly lost, and ended up on some poorly signed narrow trails. I'm pretty sure these weren't fire roads. Hope that never happens again :-)

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by grundy View Post
    I'm with pauly mac. I loop through Tilden and Wildcat on my gravel bike. There's some good views and no cars so...

A couple of times I've tried to night ride on my mtb, got hopelessly lost, and ended up on some poorly signed narrow trails. I'm pretty sure these weren't fire roads. Hope that never happens again :-)
    I used to loop from Alvarado lot through the canyon up to Inspiration Point and back along the San Pablo Rdge. Havey Canyon used to be fun little DH until they put up gates. If I were a local, a gravel bike ride could be tolerable, but there is little to do there nowadays on a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've only done the Redwood Valley Railway loop.

Formerly dvo
    There is a larger fire fuel reduction plan going on ( seemingly ) state wide. Quarry Park in El Granada, up top in Downieville, Demo etc etc.
    I'm the problem....

Caca pasa
    I was in the Army with a Major Treewerk.

Wac caw! Wac caw!!
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Hella Olde
    ....what a Gomer!

cawcaw

Formerly dvo
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Jumping in on what seems to be the longest tilden-related thread in my 10 years of lurking the norcal boards...arrived at inspiration point friday PM as the fuel-reduction crews were packing up, looks like it was pretty well marked and they were taking out a good number of eucs...pge cleared a pretty wide swath under the power lines out there over the summer as well.

i also came across a reroute of the last bit of the vollmer peak trail before the arroyo intersection that seems bike-appropriate friendly, on a bike-sanctioned stretch of trail no less.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Tilden is a mile from my house so I ride there and Wildcat often. Itís not the worst place if you pick your time carefully and bring lights. (Once the rains set in most of the lower and northern part will be basically unrideable though.)

The parks have been preparing for major tree removal for some time. We will see how far it goes. There are hundreds of giant eucalyptus matchsticks that should all be removed.

The most aggravating thing about these parks is how empty they are and how awful (steep, unsustainable) most of the fire roads are - requiring constant upkeep with machinery due to the fact they never should have existed this way in the first place. And how much room there is on the empty hillsides for singletrack. And how we should be able to ride from Wildcat to Chabot all on dirt via existing trails (about 50% singletrack) that are closed to bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk