mtbr member
    May 2006

luggage case for bike - Anyone tried?

Anyone use a large size luggage case for their bikes? What brand is your luggage piece, and what size? I have a dirt jump bike as well as a single pivot full suspension bike and can travel with either. The idea is to not have to pay for shipping a bike box or paying to fly with a bike box.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Alaska airlines is only $25 each way! Thats a steal compared to most other current options. Short answer is 'no", there isnt a secret alternative luggage that solves your problem. .... Ive shipped and traveled several times with bike box/bags. The EVOC bike bag(although pricey) saves me 1 hour at each end (disassemble/ assemble) vs trying to fit into smaller hardcases or cardboard bike boxes. It also seems like better protection, even though it is a "soft" case, than most others Ive tried. Well worth the initial investment. Or if youre like me, borrow a friends.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    For reference, United wants $150 each way!

mtbr member
    I have done it before. 26" Santa Cruz TRC that I can fit into a large luggage. Fork goes into a golf bag along with my other riding gear. Wheels go into S&S case. All were within checked in luggage limits so I did not have to pay extra fees (I was allowed up to 3 pieces of checked in luggage for free). After traveling like that a few times, I got an EVOC bag instead and even though I now pay about $150 domestic to $200 international each way to travel with my bike, the time it saves in assembling/disassembling the bike is worth it.

Pro tip: It's even better to ship your bike via bikeflights.com so it's at your destination when you get there (as long as you can go without your bike for a few days before and after your trip).

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Evoc via Bike Flights for me with never a problem. I won’t fly with a bike after TSA opened up my case and failed to properly repack my road bike 10 years ago ruining the carbon frame. They took off all the zip tied foam pipe insulation 🤬

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Delta is $150 each way, and will gladly charge you even MORE if your bike bag goes over the weight limits. So be careful when packing in other stuff along with your bike.

I've also used BikeFlights, but only within US. Shipping fees to Canada are insane.

If you read the fine print for Fed-X ground (which was who BikeFlights used in my instance) they expressly forbid shipping anything with wheels. I shipped my Evocc twice fine, just something to be aware of.

And yes, this isn't what you asked.

climber
    Dec 2008
    I am thinking of buying the "Not a Bike Bag" for a travel bike that I have put together for this purpose. The bike must be nearly disasembled - which is why I am planning to use my trusty old school 26" hardtail.

https://black-star-bags.myshopify.co...not-a-bike-bag

luggage case for bike - Anyone tried?-img_5410.jpg

Ebike Evangelist!!
    Sep 2005
    Pick up a frame with S&Sluggage case for bike - Anyone tried?-img_20180127_092646.jpg couplings, and fork in a separate duffel.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack7782 View Post
    I am thinking of buying the "Not a Bike Bag" for a travel bike that I have put together for this purpose. The bike must be nearly disasembled - which is why I am planning to use my trusty old school 26" hardtail.

https://black-star-bags.myshopify.co...not-a-bike-bag

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5410.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	229.3 KB 
ID:	1231911
    What do you tell them is inside when the attendant ask?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    To my knowledge there is only one case on the market that is designed for a bike and fits the baggage rules for no extra fees:

-62 linear inch rule
    -50lbs or less

I've used one several times and they work great.

It's available from:

https://rustersports.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I have the Dakine bike bag [1], it is similar to the Evoc but available from REI, so you can get it for 20% off during sales. Looks like it might be discontinued, I hope not.

It holds a XL 27+ bike with wheels with no problems [2]. I've checked it in the past, but prefer bikeflights. It's the same cost (usually $70 each way) and means I can drop off and pick up when convenient instead of hauling it to the airport. I've also never had any issues with FedEx and the wheeled bag. If you're travelling to a MTB-heavy area or a race, the people at FedEx are already pretty familiar with shipping bike bags.

Even if you ship, a bike bag is worth the cost. Packing a box is a pain-- you have to find a used box, wrap and secure everything, and still worry you got it wrong and things might break. Bags are tested to be safe and pack in 30 minutes.

1. https://www.dakine.com/en-us/bags/tr...ke-roller-bag/
    2. XL 5010 in bag:
    luggage case for bike - Anyone tried?-img_20181104_135859.jpg

climber
    Dec 2008
    Good question - I do not know what I am going to say yet (since it is hard for me to lie) but some suggestions are:
    Sports Equipment
    Wheelchair
    Trade show display
    Etc Etc

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzitsmyUSofwtvr View Post
    To my knowledge there is only one case on the market that is designed for a bike and fits the baggage rules for no extra fees:

-62 linear inch rule
    -50lbs or less

I've used one several times and they work great.

It's available from:

https://rustersports.com/
    This is a great find indeed! Thanks.