Low/non alcoholic beer post ride- Mtbr.com
    L1MEY

Low/non alcoholic beer post ride

Reading through the thread about the post ride DUI it's evident that a lot of us enjoy a beer after riding. Much as I would like to partake in a nice refreshing beer after a ride, I don't do it unless someone else is driving... at 115lbs even one moderately alcoholic 12oz is enough to make me feel uncomfortable with getting behind the wheel afterwards.

It seems to me that the post ride beer isn't necessarily about the alcohol itself, but more the lure of a cold, refreshing, tasty beverage, and the camaraderie of sharing it with friends. So my question is, has anyone found low or non alcoholic beer that actually tastes good? I tried St. Pauli Girl a few years ago and it was awful, but surely there are better options out there with the current craft beer revolution. If you've found one, please enlighten the rest of us... what did you find, how does it compare to the real deal, and where did you buy it?

Cheers
    Ride like a girl!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Kalibur by Guniness. I drank it when my ex wife was pregnant.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Even Keel Session IPA by Ballast Point is 3.8% ABV--less than half the ABV of a Pliny the Elder. It's not as good as Pliny--but it's more than half as good in my opinion--and one isn't going to put a 180-pounder like me in DUI danger or impair driving in anyway. Plus it comes in cans, so you can even bring it up the trail with you should you so desire.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Bitburger drive is a good n/a bitter ale, Erdinger is good. Kaliber, , hoppy version of Clausthaler. Are my top 4

Co Springs
    Buckler by Heineken- (name correction I had listed as Buckner)

I looked for good reviews to see what I could find a few years ago, Buckler maybe ? by Heineken was listed as a better one. I did buy it and try a few times. As for others I'd had, Buckler was pretty good and above the norms available locally.
    I understand the motivation and goal here - it's a smart way to mitigate chancy outcomes. I had done the same search for a good tasting lite beer where Heineken turned up as well.

I feel like a beer in the 3.2 to 5 % range is okay for me as long as I don't 'hurry up' and down it and that is exactly how I keep the peace. If I drank a few beers at a time or back to back, I'd have to go N/A. My drink limit is slim and always has been. I was a skinny kid til mid to late 30's, I'm 5'11', 165 - lbs and 57 years now.

For me, the pleasure is the taste as primary enjoyment and avoiding the blurry feeling of being slightly 'happy'. Around the house, and not going anywhere by car / motorcycle or bicycle, I've had that feeling in the past and learned my limits. I'd say 2 beers within 2 or 2.5 hours can do it and that's not specific to higher test beers either. Food on my stomach would help if not mostly negate it and I don't miss many meals but this is my recollection of that feeling.
    Since I am mostly spur-of-the-moment - (poor planning and organization) and like to jump in the car to run errands or whatever, I'm very cognizant of my intake.

Anyways, all this rambling was to put in perspective what worked well for me at the time; Grocery stores used to have 3.2 % only and that made it real easy for me. 5, 6 or more abv came in 3.2 versions. Now I have to be more careful as the rules of retail changed.
    I'll sometimes open and consume a third or half of a beer then put it in the 'fridge' or have one last me close to 2 hours as I'm doing things around the house, get side tracked, forget where I placed it or just not concentrate on sitting and drinking. Temperature isn't big concern so it setting out buffers that ice-cold that really isn't preferred anyways.
    Last edited by bachman1961; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:06 AM.
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again.

rj2
    mtbr member
    Berliner Weisse, Gose, Radlers, Shandys, always with food, water, and time

https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/5/
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Great query. Bravo!!
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    Hello, my name is DH40 and I drink too many non-NA beers.

I power beer after beer most nights after work and while cooking, doing chores, walking around my neighborhood. Usually the 19.2 oz cans. I am surrounded by bars and corner stores, but some of the best deals are at Amazon Foods of all places like Dales cans @ 2 for $4. I drink a beer on rides, after rides, and during UCI DH race mornings beginning a about 5am. All my friends seem have the same problem - odd. I drink beers on my stoop and sitting in my car listening to the Giants on 680. That is normally illegal apparently, but there is virtually zero police presence on the SF. Not germane to the discussion - just had to get that off my chest.

Caw Caw

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Clausthaler Dry Hopped isn't bad; it can be made much better if you spend 2-3 hours pedaling before drinking one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I had my first big blue Bud Light after a long day at N*. It was all they had left at their happy hour party. And it was better than bad! A few years after that we had a hot day of riding around Susanville, went back to the airbnb, checked the fridge, and...big blue Bud Light #2. Hit the spot!
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post

I power beer after beer most nights after work and while cooking, doing chores, walking around my neighborhood. Usually the 19.2 oz cans. I am surrounded by bars and corner stores, but some of the best deals are at Amazon Foods of all places like Dales cans @ 2 for $4. I drink a beer on rides, after rides, and during UCI DH race mornings beginning a about 5am. All my friends seem have the same problem - odd. I drink beers on my stoop and sitting in my car listening to the Giants on 680. That is normally illegal apparently, but there is virtually zero police presence on the SF. Not germane to the discussion - just had to get that off my chest.

Caw Caw
    Total Giants fan 100%! Go Phillies!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
    Reading through the thread about the post ride DUI it's evident that a lot of us enjoy a beer after riding. Much as I would like to partake in a nice refreshing beer after a ride, I don't do it unless someone else is driving... at 115lbs even one moderately alcoholic 12oz is enough to make me feel uncomfortable with getting behind the wheel afterwards.

It seems to me that the post ride beer isn't necessarily about the alcohol itself, but more the lure of a cold, refreshing, tasty beverage, and the camaraderie of sharing it with friends. So my question is, has anyone found low or non alcoholic beer that actually tastes good? I tried St. Pauli Girl a few years ago and it was awful, but surely there are better options out there with the current craft beer revolution. If you've found one, please enlighten the rest of us... what did you find, how does it compare to the real deal, and where did you buy it?

Cheers
    Look up Mikkeller and check this https://www.runnersworld.com/nutriti...coholic-beers/

mtbr member
    I enjoyed Lagunitas' Hoppy Refresher when I had one a while back. I'd say it would make a respectable parking lot quaffer.

loopy counter

Caw Caw
    This reads like a rehab confessional. Dales is 6%, iirc.

Sometimes we should not do something not because it is unenforced, but because it is unconscionable.

Co Springs
    Here is this short list, another source of ratings-

https://www.menshealth.com/health/a2...coholic-beers/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b0bg View Post
    I enjoyed Lagunitas' Hoppy Refresher when I had one a while back. I'd say it would make a respectable parking lot quaffer.
    The DUI thread inspired me to pick up a pack of those.

Not bad, but also not that good. Doesnít taste anything like beer. Id call it hop-flavored LaCroix.

I agree that it makes a good post ride drink, but at $7 for a 4 pack, I donít think Iíll be buying it often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wretch

Caw Caw
    I think we're friends ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrwin View Post
    Even Keel Session IPA by Ballast Point is 3.8% ABV--less than half the ABV of a Pliny the Elder. It's not as good as Pliny--but it's more than half as good in my opinion--and one isn't going to put a 180-pounder like me in DUI danger or impair driving in anyway. Plus it comes in cans, so you can even bring it up the trail with you should you so desire.
    Even Keel is good, and Mango Even Keel is even better. Though last time I bought Mango Even Keel is was like 15 bucks for a 6-pack and that's kinda expensive for a 3.8%, even if it does taste like fruit juice. It was in cans, though, which I prefer for adventuring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Low/non alcoholic beer post ride

Bought a 6er of this over the weekend. Not bad! Think I would prefer their IPA but this is a step above other NA options Iíve tried (Clausthaler, Erdinger).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Founder's All Day IPA is not bad as far as session
    IPAs go. It's 4.7% ABV and works for me . YMMV.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I've always had bad taste in beer. For years I lived with New Belgium employees and my fridge was consistently stocked with microbrews, probably a dream for most hop-heads. I liked Blue Paddle, but quickly got sick of anything else with a lot of flavor. I preferred High Life, Coors Light, and much maligned Bud Light Lime.

I quit drinking alcohol in September. I never drank that often, but especially at industry events like Interbike, Eurobike, and Sea Otter, I would drink quite a bit for several days in a row. It made me feel like garbage and even though I was never belligerent or wasted, I was often a little embarrassed about my behavior in retrospect. I'm a confident person and booze makes me a little full of myself.

Anyway, I'm really into Coors NA. I honestly believe its a great recovery drink and it tastes delicious after a long, hard ride.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Esses View Post
    Founder's All Day IPA is not bad as far as session
    IPAs go. It's 4.7% ABV and works for me . YMMV.
    This has become my Go-to day time IPA. It's still 4.7 ABV, so post ride, if you haven't eaten could still mess with you a little.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

orthonormal
    I keep the fridge stocked with goodies from Beer Thirty and I usually ride from home or at most a 15 minute drive away. You guys can keep your low/non-alcoholic beer. I'll wait until I get home, sit on my patio, and drink something I really like.

Current stock includes Alvarado Street Cold Pressed IPA, Henhouse Time is a Flat Circle IPA, and Barebottle Baby Unicorn Dust Pale Ale. Guests always welcome.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

default title
    Mar 2008
    Lagunitas Daytime (session IPA). Less hoppy than Founders All Day. It's better when cold, more refreshing. Maybe that makes it a "bad" IPA. Still tasty.

Really I think part of it for me is limiting to one 12oz can vs a 16oz can or 20oz (or more) bottle.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    I've always had bad taste in beer. For years I lived with New Belgium employees and my fridge was consistently stocked with microbrews, probably a dream for most hop-heads. I liked Blue Paddle, but quickly got sick of anything else with a lot of flavor. I preferred High Life, Coors Light, and much maligned Bud Light Lime.

I quit drinking alcohol in September. I never drank that often, but especially at industry events like Interbike, Eurobike, and Sea Otter, I would drink quite a bit for several days in a row. It made me feel like garbage and even though I was never belligerent or wasted, I was often a little embarrassed about my behavior in retrospect. I'm a confident person and booze makes me a little full of myself.

Anyway, I'm really into Coors NA. I honestly believe its a great recovery drink and it tastes delicious after a long, hard ride.

Forgot about Blue Paddle, liked that one too.
    *Wanted to post a thumbs up mostly for your personal story.

I always appreciate how a contributing poster 'puts themselves out there' talking specifics of situations that can be less than proud moments. Better yet, being pro active in cutting back or cutting out the related spirits or whatever the trigger is not a small accomplishment.
    Thanks for posting.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    I keep the fridge stocked with goodies from Beer Thirty and I usually ride from home or at most a 15 minute drive away. You guys can keep your low/non-alcoholic beer. I'll wait until I get home, sit on my patio, and drink something I really like.

Current stock includes Alvarado Street Cold Pressed IPA, Henhouse Time is a Flat Circle IPA, and Barebottle Baby Unicorn Dust Pale Ale. Guests always welcome.
    Sounds good. Address please?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Sounds good. Address please?
    Beat me to it - I was going to say please provide address, garage code, and alarm code

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Beat me to it - I was going to say please provide address, garage code, and alarm code
    Ah yes, the details that I was forgetting. Thanks!

L1MEY
    Doing my fair share of research here, I visited Total Wine in Reno and picked up a six pack of this. It's actually not bad! Definitely tastes like beer... it doesn't have that lingering, full bodied aftertaste that a lot of the beers I like have (then again a lot of alcoholic beers don't have that either). It's not super hoppy, and does have somewhat of a metallic hint to it, but it's really drinkable. This isn't a drink at home beer for me, but as something I can drink and feel comfortable getting behind the wheel, I think it has merit. Not sure how much hell I'll be raising on 0.5% alcohol though!
    Ride like a girl!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Reporting back. Picked up a pack of Clausthaler Dry Hopped and the Athletic Brewing is way better tasting. AB's supply seems pretty limited right now unfortunately.