looks like rain - where to ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

looks like rain - where to ride?

So it looks like rain Fri-Sat ("showers likely") and I have a buddy coming into town to ride. I'm trying to figure out where will be the best places to ride given the weather. I live on the Peninsula and just some flowy XC would be good to show off the area.

I was orig thinking of China Camp and Mt. Tam. Then a full day at Coe. Or Skeggs and some chill open space stuff up on Skyline.

We don't mind getting wet but not sure what the trail conditions will be like (aka: rideable?) What do you all think? I know the bottom part of Skeggs will be slop..

I summon the collective wisdom to confirm or disconfirm my suspicions..

b

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm a fan of Demo during the rain. There's enough tree cover to where it helps keep you dry-er......

I like mtn biking, too
    After I got over my initial guilt, I rode Skeggs (just going as low as the bottom of Methuseleh) on Saturday morning after it rained all day Friday, and I was glad I did. Other than a few standing puddles (which I rode right through and the tires came out clean), conditions were excellent. I suspect it will get worse as the rain piles up over the winter, but right now is ok. There is enough sandstone in the soil. Lawrence Creek & Virginia Mill do tend to get sloppy, but they are not that fun anyway.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

TC
    mtbr member

you would think...

but in my limited experience riding skeggs, it's actually much worse on the upper trails than the lower ones, at least during the first part of rainy season. Sierra Morena is just plain messy even on foggy days with dew dropping from trees.

The creeks and sandstone help move water pretty well on the lower levels it seems.

my $.02

anyone else weigh in on this theory?
    if the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by TC View Post
    Sierra Morena is just plain messy even on foggy days with dew dropping from trees.
    Yeah, that's another one that can get pretty muddy sometimes. It is awesome right now, though, as of this morning. Not much fog lately.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

aka baycat
    China Camp will be perfectly fine to ride this weekend, either during or after rains.

And Sierra Morena is often the soggiest trail I have encountered in Skeggs during rains, and the lower stuff and Manzanita and Resolution are great!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If you dont mind traveling a bit, good riding can be had for almost every day of the year at:

Mission Peak Stanford side (Painful uphill, but good training and good almost immediately after rain)
    Kennedy (Painful uphill, again, good training ground, and on most days ridable after rain)
    St. Joseph Hills Los Gatos. Minus the initial stuff in the trees, the upper loop is good even when it is raining hard.

Fort Ord I heard is good after it rains since it is too sandy during non-rain seasons. But you got to see for yourself how much you are willing to drive two hours each way for a good day of riding.

Paper or plastic?
    Did Mt Tam last Saturday (Eldridge) after the rain on Friday and it was a bit wet but perfectly rideable.

Another good spot when it's rainy is Rockville in Fairfield. The place holds up really well, and has a lot of techy stuff.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Chiming in on the North Bay, China Camp has been really nice the last week. The forecast for this area says "scattered showers" for friday with a 30% chance of rain so maybe we'll be spared from the upcoming storm. If you do hit China Camp take gold hill fire road up to the goods. Have fun, show your bro the goods!