Looking for Tahoe ride group...- Mtbr.com
    i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

Looking for Tahoe ride group...

I'm heading down from Seattle to Tahoe this weekend for the next two weeks (8/1-8/14) and I'm looking for a ride group. I've been vacationing down there with family for the past 6 summers or so near Tahoe City and I'm tired of solo riding all the time. I've done a bunch of the standards: flume, tahoe meadows, hole-in-the-ground, toads, etc.; but I'd like to find some new stuff as well.

I'm up for some distance/technicality and I don't mind a 4000' climb if there's a payoff. I've done a little bit of racing (mostly 24hr team stuff); but mostly I just like to ride and bs.

Anyone willing to put up with a tourist tag-along? I'd bring beer...

mtbr member
    Don't not what your plans are but IMBA is having a Wild Ride up by Grouse Ridge on the 7th and 8th. Check the link at:

http://www.imba.com/news/action_aler..._register.html

Ride what you want!!
    Bummer, I'm leaving for Tahoe on Sunday and will be there for 4 days. The problem is, I'm recovering from throwing out my back and I haven't ridden in almost 3 weeks and have no idea if I'll be able to ride when I get to Tahoe. I'm bring the bike though.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

Jul 2004
    GeePhro:

I am a local who lives in Truckee and works in Ttahoe City. I would be willing to show you some new rides. I try and ride every tuesday and thursday. The wife has a womens group on mondays and wednesday.

Maybe meet after work around 4:30 or 5:00. Gotta pay the mortgage ya know!!!

Have a great vacation.

mtbr member

Grouse Ridge

Definatley show up for the IMBA rides at Grouse Ridge...45 minutes from Tahoe City if you like technical challenges....
    :p

Jan 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by TruckeeRider
    I am a local who lives in Truckee and works in Ttahoe City. I would be willing to show you some new rides. I try and ride every tuesday and thursday.
    Sounds great! I'm staying right up the hill at Dollar Point near the 7-11. I'll pm you my cell #.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    Definatley show up for the IMBA rides at Grouse Ridge...45 minutes from Tahoe City if you like technical challenges....
    I've never ridden up there before...I checked out the IMBA and BONC sites but couldn't find much about the actual ride. Do you know it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh
    I've never ridden up there before...I checked out the IMBA and BONC sites but couldn't find much about the actual ride. Do you know it?
    Check http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=38360 for more info. Although not much more. I've ridden some up there and plan to join this ride. The lookout is a great place to camp too, except for when your neighbors blast Norah Jones at full volume for a couple of hours.

Jul 2004
    Sounds great! I'm staying right up the hill at Dollar Point near the 7-11. I'll pm you my cell #.
    My office is at the base of Dollar Point...

Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by derek
    Check http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=38360 for more info. Although not much more. I've ridden some up there and plan to join this ride. The lookout is a great place to camp too, except for when your neighbors blast Norah Jones at full volume for a couple of hours.
    Would love to join this ride but am currently pretty booked this weekend. Kid stuff locally so will be doing some local rides here in the basin.

Maybe next time...

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    We're staying right behind the 7-11on Observation Dr. from August 12-15th. Some great riding begins right across from 7-11 at either the high school or farther up the rode slightly to the right then left at the North Tahoe XC Center. From these trails you can access the TRT, Missing Link, WS's,etc. On the 14th there will be a big group ride from Mt Rose Hwy towards the Flume, around, and back if you'd like to join us. Not sure the rest of the schedule yet.

Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    We're staying right behind the 7-11on Observation Dr. from August 12-15th. Some great riding begins right across from 7-11 at either the high school or farther up the rode slightly to the right then left at the North Tahoe XC Center. From these trails you can access the TRT, Missing Link, WS's,etc. On the 14th there will be a big group ride from Mt Rose Hwy towards the Flume, around, and back if you'd like to join us. Not sure the rest of the schedule yet.
    I just replaced a waterline in Observation Drive last summer. So I know the area well. There are some great access points off of Hwy 89 as well that take you to some killer single track if you know the area.

Jan 2004
    That's pretty weird...I'm staying on Observation as well. About a block from the firestation.

I know that area well (though none of the actual trail names). A couple of summers ago I got a little lost and ended up dropping down into Northstar -- lots of fun going down; but not so much going back up.

That Mt. Rose rides is one of my favorites. I'm definitely all over that...

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I just replaced a waterline in Observation Drive last summer. So I know the area well. There are some great access points off of Hwy 89 as well that take you to some killer single track if you know the area.
    We have been renting this cabin for about 12 years now. Right across for the cabana club. I first started riding this area about 10 years ago while working in the area. It's certainly a maze of trails down low and took a bit of exploring to figure out where everything went. Not sure what the address is, but it is light blueish/gray. Stop by for a brew.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    That's pretty weird...I'm staying on Observation as well. About a block from the firestation.

I know that area well (though none of the actual trail names). A couple of summers ago I got a little lost and ended up dropping down into Northstar -- lots of fun going down; but not so much going back up.

That Mt. Rose rides is one of my favorites. I'm definitely all over that...
    I also dropped into Northstar by mistake. Anyways, were staying right across from the cabana club, exactly behind 7-11. Stop by. It's our annual guy's trip. Lots of riding, lots of partying.

mtbr member
    Would love to join this ride but am currently pretty booked this weekend. Kid stuff locally so will be doing some local rides here in the basin.

Maybe next time...
    Well, the ride is next weekend August 7th and 8th. So clear the plans and come on the ride.

Jul 2004
    Ebo:

Don't forget that the Tahoe Meadows to Tunnel Creek section of the TRT is closed to bikes on weekends and only open on even days during the week. At least that was the last bit of info I have heard locally. Otherwise have loads of fun. That section is awesome single track with great views down to Washoe Valley.

Enjoy!!!

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Ebo:

Don't forget that the Tahoe Meadows to Tunnel Creek section of the TRT is closed to bikes on weekends and only open on even days during the week. At least that was the last bit of info I have heard locally. Otherwise have loads of fun. That section is awesome single track with great views down to Washoe Valley.

Enjoy!!!
    I checked the TRT website and they don't mention anything about weekends. Just that even numbered dates of the calendar are open to bikes. I hope this is still true. We have abided by this rule and have changed riding plans because of it. This 8 mile section is all you say it is. Some good technical rock sections, as well as good cruising in others. Reminds me of parts of the Spooner to Kingsbury. Lots of fun.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

I'm in the same boat (sort of)

I just posted a thread along the same lines ( Titled "looking for riding buddies in Tahoe/Truckee") before I read this one. I am sort of in the same boat, but I am living here now. I am working my own part time hours for the next few weeks before work really starts, so I have a bit of flexibility and time to ride. I don't know the area anywhere near as well as anyone else here, but I know a few rides at this point. I live over in Norden on top of Donner Pass Road. Check out my post and contact me if you want to ride.

Thanks
    Jeff

I'm heading down from Seattle to Tahoe this weekend for the next two weeks (8/1-8/14) and I'm looking for a ride group. I've been vacationing down there with family for the past 6 summers or so near Tahoe City and I'm tired of solo riding all the time. I've done a bunch of the standards: flume, tahoe meadows, hole-in-the-ground, toads, etc.; but I'd like to find some new stuff as well.

I'm up for some distance/technicality and I don't mind a 4000' climb if there's a payoff. I've done a little bit of racing (mostly 24hr team stuff); but mostly I just like to ride and bs.

Anyone willing to put up with a tourist tag-along? I'd bring beer...

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    I just posted a thread along the same lines ( Titled "looking for riding buddies in Tahoe/Truckee") before I read this one. I am sort of in the same boat, but I am living here now. I am working my own part time hours for the next few weeks before work really starts, so I have a bit of flexibility and time to ride. I don't know the area anywhere near as well as anyone else here, but I know a few rides at this point. I live over in Norden on top of Donner Pass Road. Check out my post and contact me if you want to ride.
    Cool. I just got in last night -- still recovering from the drive and trying to adjust to the altitude; but I should be up to it by tomorrow.

Jul 2004
    Cool. I just got in last night -- still recovering from the drive and trying to adjust to the altitude; but I should be up to it by tomorrow.
    Can ride at 4:00 pm tomorrow (Tuesday) after work if your interested. Just let me know. Could do a really nice single track east of N*.

Jan 2004
    Can ride at 4:00 pm tomorrow (Tuesday) after work if your interested. Just let me know. Could do a really nice single track east of N*.
    I'm in...where and when do you want to meet?

Caca pasa

Ahh..h

...hell yeah! I haven't done that school ride in years. It's fun- any chance you'll be able to ride it on the 15th?

fp
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Jul 2004

Good job!

I'm in...where and when do you want to meet?
    How about if we meet at 4:00 at the Northstar entrance in the parking lot right off of 267. When you make a left turn into N* there is a real estate office on the right side of N* Drive. I will be driving a white Chevy Tahoe.

Anybody is welcome to join us. The ride is about 1.5 hours of really nice single track with a little bit of technical stuff coming down a steep canyon into Martis Valley. Might even see some bears and coyotes!!!

Should be fun!!!

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    ...hell yeah! I haven't done that school ride in years. It's fun- any chance you'll be able to ride it on the 15th?

fp
    Yes. I'll probably make it the last ride of the trip and then eventually head towards home. Looks like you guys had a killer time at N* last weekend. Great pics. Are you planning N* on Saturday and then a ride on Sunday? Our place is easy to find and I'll try to get you a phone # for the place.

Jan 2004

4pm @ n* entrance

I'll be there (in a gold forrester). Think I might try out scott peak this morning...

Jul 2004
    I'll be there (in a gold forrester). Think I might try out scott peak this morning...
    That's a great ride but it is funner if you go in from Alpine Meadows Rd. Take first left after stables and go to end of road. Turns into single track and go up single track always staying to left. Will take you up to top. Turn right at second dirt road and take all the way up to Lake View chairlift. Then come back down fire road but turn right and junction and take all the way down through paige Meadows.

Fantastic single track descent.

Have fun whatever route you take...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

I'll try.

I may try to join you guys, but I'll have see how things go today. If I get there I'll be driving a blue Honda CRV with a Thule box on top, a red Heckler on the back, and Connecticut plates. If I don't make it this time I'd like to catch up and ride another time.

Jeff

How about if we meet at 4:00 at the Northstar entrance in the parking lot right off of 267. When you make a left turn into N* there is a real estate office on the right side of N* Drive. I will be driving a white Chevy Tahoe.

Anybody is welcome to join us. The ride is about 1.5 hours of really nice single track with a little bit of technical stuff coming down a steep canyon into Martis Valley. Might even see some bears and coyotes!!!

Should be fun!!!

Caca pasa

Hmmmm.

Yes. I'll probably make it the last ride of the trip and then eventually head towards home. Looks like you guys had a killer time at N* last weekend. Great pics. Are you planning N* on Saturday and then a ride on Sunday? Our place is easy to find and I'll try to get you a phone # for the place.
    Sounds like it might be hap'nin'. Is anyone else going that you know of?

This is the ride that goes up to the Fibreboard Freeway, correct?

I'm not riding Sat., I usually work Sats.

I'll see who else I can round up.

I can't remember, have we met?

Gary

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Sounds like it might be hap'nin'. Is anyone else going that you know of?

This is the ride that goes up to the Fibreboard Freeway, correct?

I'm not riding Sat., I usually work Sats.

I'll see who else I can round up.

I can't remember, have we met?

Gary
    Not sure what the Fibreboard Freeway is, but it does include a short paved section that heads up towards Watson Lake. I think they paved it about 6 years ago. It starts out as a dirt road around Tahoe City, then goes paved to Watson, then later back to dirt. Not sure why they ever did this. The TRT crosses this road, and if heading west, takes you up on top of the ridge that looks over the Truckee river, Alpine Meadow, and the back parts of Squaw Valley. From here the Missing Link and WS's are accessible.
    As far as who else is riding, there will be 7 or so riding up until Sunday. Few of them will probably ride on Sunday. A lot of them will be playing volleyball quite a bit throughout the trip. And yes, we met up in Downieville last year at the Sat night swagfest at the pizza joint. Many brews were consumed. I camped Wednesday and Thursday night, and stayed in town with some friends the rest of the trip. In hindsight, I should have camped the whole time. The JerichoDome and the Sac Brew truck were quite the draw.
    This is a fun ride and would welcome all who would like to go. Being this will be my fourth day, I'm certain to be going a bit slower if that's not a problem.

Caca pasa

Well.

Not sure what the Fibreboard Freeway is, but it does include a short paved section that heads up towards Watson Lake. I think they paved it about 6 years ago. It starts out as a dirt road around Tahoe City, then goes paved to Watson, then later back to dirt. Not sure why they ever did this. The TRT crosses this road, and if heading west, takes you up on top of the ridge that looks over the Truckee river, Alpine Meadow, and the back parts of Squaw Valley. From here the Missing Link and WS's are accessible.
    As far as who else is riding, there will be 7 or so riding up until Sunday. Few of them will probably ride on Sunday. A lot of them will be playing volleyball quite a bit throughout the trip. And yes, we met up in Downieville last year at the Sat night swagfest at the pizza joint. Many brews were consumed. I camped Wednesday and Thursday night, and stayed in town with some friends the rest of the trip. In hindsight, I should have camped the whole time. The JerichoDome and the Sac Brew truck were quite the draw.
    This is a fun ride and would welcome all who would like to go. Being this will be my fourth day, I'm certain to be going a bit slower if that's not a problem.
    I Googled 'Fibreboard Freeway' and got this:

Fibreboard Freeway

A rarely used undulating paved road for practicing easy climbing on a bike. The trailhead is at Brockway Summit on 267. There is also a trailhead 1 mile south for the Tahoe Rim Trail. Just ride. About 6 miles in is a turnoff to Watson Lake. The paved road ends after 12 miles. The left hand fork at the end of the paved road gives a short but bumpy drop in to Tahoe City. Many single-track trails and fireroads intersect with the Fibreboard Freeway including the Tahoe Rim Trail.

Sound like what you're talking about? I was always told the wide, wide fireroads that the trail from the school runs into is the FF (does that make sense?). But when I rode it, none of it was paved.

No big- it was just a fun ride and I'd like to do it again. I'll wait for details/phone #, wotever.

Gary

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I Googled 'Fibreboard Freeway' and got this:

Fibreboard Freeway

A rarely used undulating paved road for practicing easy climbing on a bike. The trailhead is at Brockway Summit on 267. There is also a trailhead 1 mile south for the Tahoe Rim Trail. Just ride. About 6 miles in is a turnoff to Watson Lake. The paved road ends after 12 miles. The left hand fork at the end of the paved road gives a short but bumpy drop in to Tahoe City. Many single-track trails and fireroads intersect with the Fibreboard Freeway including the Tahoe Rim Trail.

Sound like what you're talking about? I was always told the wide, wide fireroads that the trail from the school runs into is the FF (does that make sense?). But when I rode it, none of it was paved.

No big- it was just a fun ride and I'd like to do it again. I'll wait for details/phone #, wotever.

Gary
    Sounds like one and the same. Lot's of different ways to go for sure. Last year I left from the XC center and headed across towards Tahoe City. There is a lower trail which is fun and fast, although very dusty, and dumps into the dirt section of the FF. There is also a trail, which I prefer, that has lots of whoop de does and dumps into the paved section. If you climb about a mile or two, you will hit the intersection of the TRT. I took it to the right and started the climb to Watson Lake. This section of the TRT is not ridden as much and is actually somewhat overgrown in places. I stopped a bit short of the lake and reversed course. I'll post a # for our cabin next Wednesday night when I get back home. I'm open for any other rides you might prefer to do. Maybe Jim & JFR will be up for it. I hung out (mostly partied) with them a bit last year in Tahoe.
    P>S - If I can get the # before then, I'll post it. If you decide on a different ride, post it and I'll check here while I'm visiting my P's.

post-ride specialist
    I'm in. I'm planning on being in the Tahoe area next week till maybe the 16th +/- before I head up to Seattle. Not familiar with the local trails (on wheels), but keen to explore.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by icegeek
    I'm in. I'm planning on being in the Tahoe area next week till maybe the 16th +/- before I head up to Seattle. Not familiar with the local trails (on wheels), but keen to explore.
    Just got some info...........August 12-15th....

179 Observation Dr - right behind 7-11 store at Dollar Point
    Phone # 530-581-5993

Give me a call if you want to hook up for any and all rides. Beer after rides is a given!! All welcome of course.

post-ride specialist
    Cool. I'll may be staying at south lake. five 1 two 9 four oh 1 oh 8 five