Looking for some fit locals in the Downieville area- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Looking for some fit locals in the Downieville area

Three of us are coming down from Eugene Oregon, to Downieville for Memorial w/e to sample some of Norcal's finest singletrack.

We're all in training for the Creampuff 100 miler on June 27th, so are into doing some Epic 6 - 7 hour rides while there. Dunno if if really matters but two of us are on fully's and one on a single-speed (we don't hold that against him though

We've checked out all the trail reviews, and the Forest Service site for snow details, but would love to meet some locals to ride with. Even if you're just into doing a couple of hours, then pointing us in the right direction from there, that'd be great.

Also be nice to get some advice on camping/accommodation options, and post-ride "activities". We may take our training seriously, but we're also pretty fond of "the sauce" (if only for it's nutritional benefits) and a bit of ridiculousness that inevitably follows. And we tend to spend more time talking about podium girls than lactate threshholds

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Some of the guys at Yuba Expeditions could help you out. Good ride for training and exploring this time of the year would be the North Yuba/Halls Ranch/Fiddle Creek ride. Start at Rocky Rest Campground. Most of the campgrounds along the North Yuba heading in to Downieville are pretty nice. Or you could camp out in the Lakes Basin area which will be colder at night. All are first come, first serve. The Riverview Pizza is a great place to hang out after a ride. Good food and brew. Also some good riding in the Nevada City area. No snow to deal with too. Just poison oak. Bullards Bar is a fun place to ride and put some faster miles in. Look for Rebel Ridge, 7 Ball, and 8 Ball. Have fun.

Coors, the american beer.

... and if we just ...

camp up at lakes basin. I reccomend Diablo campground on packer lake road. Its $6 / night with no water and a pit toilet, they got a well for water about a mile up the road at pack saddle campground (no not the start of downieville im talking right below packer lake)

There is also a couple of quick loops you can do, i dont know how much snow has melted yet but if you guys camp where i say you can do tamarack jeep trail to the lake then tamarack connection trail down to sand pond and packer lake road back to diablo. About a 5 mile loop and is VERY technical.

You can also start at the campground and ride up that steep ass road to deer lake jeep trail, then do that down to deer lake over look, then ride the pacific crest trail north (i know it says no bikes but there is no other trail, and you will only be on it for 1/4 to 1/2 mile) then make a right on deer lake trail and loop back to the campground.

These are relatively short rides and i can reccomend a few other ones up in the haskell peak area if you guys like fire roads.

Peace.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    I was planning a big ride this Saturday, not 100 miles and 6k of climbing, but about 5 or so hours. I was thinking the Spaulding loop that's been getting alot of talk here lately. If you Oregonians are up for that let me know. I might be able to shuffle myself up to Downieville on Saturday... I live in Nevada City, lived in Portland and rode Oakridge last summer....
    pm me if you wanna meet up.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

May 2004
    Hi Eugene Bros! Another bro here in Nevada City told me to ck out your message. Much of Downieville may still be under snow but the N Yuba/ Halls Ranch loop as mentioned before would be a good one. Technical & energy demanding w/ a monster climb & plenty of beauty & prime area riding. Many options also near NC (ck south Yuba trail) & east to Grouse Ridge & even Truckee. I'd planned to do the CP this year but a friend's wedding is that day. Hey I'm from Eugene, graduated from South, went to U of O...haven't lived there for many years tho. I actually testified at a city counsel mtg tonight about the success of E's bike & running trails. A few of us may be up for riding w/ you this weekend. Food & brew in NC/ Grass Valley. May ck out the "Deadbeats" playing at Coopers sat nt NC. Many camping options. Most hotels are booked for this weekend.

undefined
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man
    Three of us are coming down from Eugene Oregon, to Downieville for Memorial w/e to sample some of Norcal's finest singletrack.

We're all in training for the Creampuff 100 miler on June 27th, so are into doing some Epic 6 - 7 hour rides while there. Dunno if if really matters but two of us are on fully's and one on a single-speed (we don't hold that against him though

We've checked out all the trail reviews, and the Forest Service site for snow details, but would love to meet some locals to ride with. Even if you're just into doing a couple of hours, then pointing us in the right direction from there, that'd be great.

Also be nice to get some advice on camping/accommodation options, and post-ride "activities". We may take our training seriously, but we're also pretty fond of "the sauce" (if only for it's nutritional benefits) and a bit of ridiculousness that inevitably follows. And we tend to spend more time talking about podium girls than lactate threshholds

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 2004

Thanks for the tips people

We're can't leave until Friday night around 8:00PM, so will get as far as possible (maybe Ashland) then get up first thing on Saturday and drive the rest. So I guess we'll be ready to ride around 11-12 o'clock on Sat. Then Sunday and Monday too, hitting the road again on Tuesday.

Good to see that a few of you are familier with our local riding up here. Maybe then we can return the hospitality at some stage.

Deadbeats playing on Sat night. Looks like post-ride activities are well taken care of too.

Voodoovegan and Debra Little, I'll send you both a mail with some more details.

Looking forward to it!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    not sure about snow-level. i'd be surprised if there's still alot of snow there, but i've pushed through snow in mid-june some years.

assuming snow level allows passage (and yuba expeditions can provide uptodate info on that) i would recommend starting with a nice mellow ride:

start from town (or camp if you're camped north of town).
    ride up the dirt road (gold ridge?) that leaves from approximately the union flat campground. take the butcher ranch trail down to pauley creek intersection, then go back up pauley creek and take big boulder down to 3rd divide. go back up 3rd divide a couple hundred yards and take 2nd divide down. turn right on the road and then left on first divide all the way into town.

or you could go up and do chimney rock from the west side, then come down empire creek and go up 3rd divide to 2nd divide, and down, but that's only around 5 hrs.

if you're not riding the pu$$-wagon (shuttle) you may get some strange looks from the modern mtb crowd that hasn't heard of pedaling. wish i were going with you guys. i would show you some fun, and i'd introduce you to the dizzy blonde chick who hits on me every time i go there.
    mw
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

aka Manzanita Tom
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by velosapiens
    not sure about snow-level. i'd be surprised if there's still alot of snow there, but i've pushed through snow in mid-june some years.

assuming snow level allows passage (and yuba expeditions can provide uptodate info on that) i would recommend starting with a nice mellow ride:

start from town (or camp if you're camped north of town).
    ride up the dirt road (gold ridge?) that leaves from approximately the union flat campground. take the butcher ranch trail down to pauley creek intersection, then go back up pauley creek and take big boulder down to 3rd divide. go back up 3rd divide a couple hundred yards and take 2nd divide down. turn right on the road and then left on first divide all the way into town.

or you could go up and do chimney rock from the west side, then come down empire creek and go up 3rd divide to 2nd divide, and down, but that's only around 5 hrs.

if you're not riding the pu$$-wagon (shuttle) you may get some strange looks from the modern mtb crowd that hasn't heard of pedaling. wish i were going with you guys. i would show you some fun, and i'd introduce you to the dizzy blonde chick who hits on me every time i go there.
    mw
    Any thoughts on where to stay for a Fri-Sun downieville adventure? A couple buddies and I are headed up there weekend after this one (10/10) - interesting info on campgrounds in this thread - would like to know about motel accommo options, too.

Thanks,

Capricious youth...
    I think that you might be 4 years too late.
    Meh.

aka Manzanita Tom
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    Not sure why you think that - just looking for some place to stay. Did a thread search on downieville accommo and came up with this one. It has a bunch of camping info in it, but not much by way of motel info. That's what I'm looking for, for weekend after this one (maybe I shoulda started a new thread, eh?).

mtbr member
    Yeah, I would have started a new thread.

There are only 3 hotels in Downieville. My buds just stayed at the Downieville River Inn, I have stayed Carriage House Inn. Both I can recommend.

rider
    Jan 2005
    My own personal favorite is the Riverside Inn.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

Mountain Lion Bait
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3

roffle!