Looking for ride buddies on a visit to Fairfax/Alameda etc.- Mtbr.com

Jul 2004

Looking for ride buddies on a visit to Fairfax/Alameda etc.

hi there. i'll be staying in alameda and fairfax next week and am looking to ride for at least two days. is there anyone out there who can recommend bike shops for a good rental bike, trails, or might be riding over april 12--18 and want a partner in the shape of an east coast singlespeeder in middling shape (it's april and still snowing in new england so i don't have my summer legs yet), politically liberal, funny (so my friends say), filmmaker with a day job, family man, willing to buy a few beers and burritos after a ride, more or less all around nice guy?

i rode in marin county in february of 04 with dan tess from summit bikes in san rafael. when i tried to reach out to him a few months later via a mtbr.com someone reached me and told me he had passed away due to an aneurysm. i still carry his business card with me in my wallet to remind me to live every day to the fullest. just thought i'd mention that b/c i can't think of san rafael and marin mountain biking without mentally pouring a little beer out on the curb for him.

at that time i rode a nice loop on tamalpais (around ten-twelve miles?) and another day at china camp.

i'll have a rental car, i love mountain biking, and i'll buy a few rounds of microbrew beer (or whatever you like) for anyone who might like to show a new englander around, have some advice about where to ride, where to rent a bike, where to get maps, good shops, etc., etc.

thanks in advance. (PS: yeah, i cross-posted at dirt rag's forums, sorry if you got stuck reading this twice.)

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lenox_mtbr
    hi there. i'll be staying in alameda and fairfax next week and am looking to ride for at least two days. is there anyone out there who can recommend bike shops for a good rental bike, trails, or might be riding over april 12--18 and want a partner in the shape of an east coast singlespeeder in middling shape (it's april and still snowing in new england so i don't have my summer legs yet), politically liberal, funny (so my friends say), filmmaker with a day job, family man, willing to buy a few beers and burritos after a ride, more or less all around nice guy?

i rode in marin county in february of 04 with dan tess from summit bikes in san rafael. when i tried to reach out to him a few months later via a mtbr.com someone reached me and told me he had passed away due to an aneurysm. i still carry his business card with me in my wallet to remind me to live every day to the fullest. just thought i'd mention that b/c i can't think of san rafael and marin mountain biking without mentally pouring a little beer out on the curb for him.

at that time i rode a nice loop on tamalpais (around ten-twelve miles?) and another day at china camp.

i'll have a rental car, i love mountain biking, and i'll buy a few rounds of microbrew beer (or whatever you like) for anyone who might like to show a new englander around, have some advice about where to ride, where to rent a bike, where to get maps, good shops, etc., etc.

thanks in advance. (PS: yeah, i cross-posted at dirt rag's forums, sorry if you got stuck reading this twice.)
    Dude,

Post a ride Invite for the specific days and times yer looking at riding - do it atleast a day in advance. You'll likely have many takers - last minute and otherwise.

How tall are you? I have a couple mnt bikes - fit for 6 footers.

aka baycat
    I work in Marin and have some days off in the next week and half, so I am up for some riding.

Ryan

Jul 2004

thanks

hey imridingmybike and baycat, thanks for getting back to me.

i understand it's been raining a ton out there and i'm hoping i'll still get to ride--my schedule is fairly flexible. right now it looks like friday and sunday might be my best bets, though saturday is do-able and sunshine will help make my decisions. i'm looking to go out for a solid half day i guess . . . about four hours or so.

imridingmybike, i am 6 ft tall, and thus far i'm looking at renting a fisher tassajara from summit bikes in san rafael. i'm open to all suggestions and loaners! i'll take your advice and once i'm on the ground in marin, i'll get online and post a specific invite and probably get some good results.

it would be great to hook up with either of you guys if you're interested in showing off your trails. hit me at my e-mail [email protected] if any of the above days sound good and we can trade more info or phone numbers.

thanks again guys.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lenox_mtbr
    hey imridingmybike and baycat, thanks for getting back to me.

i understand it's been raining a ton out there and i'm hoping i'll still get to ride--my schedule is fairly flexible. right now it looks like friday and sunday might be my best bets, though saturday is do-able and sunshine will help make my decisions. i'm looking to go out for a solid half day i guess . . . about four hours or so.

imridingmybike, i am 6 ft tall, and thus far i'm looking at renting a fisher tassajara from summit bikes in san rafael. i'm open to all suggestions and loaners! i'll take your advice and once i'm on the ground in marin, i'll get online and post a specific invite and probably get some good results.

it would be great to hook up with either of you guys if you're interested in showing off your trails. hit me at my e-mail [email protected] if any of the above days sound good and we can trade more info or phone numbers.

thanks again guys.
    Hey Marc,

Looks like there's a ride up on Mount Diablo this saturday. I don't know complete details, but will updatecha when I hear more.

I need to do a little work to my back up bike (foes fxr) before this weekend. Let me see what I can do....

aka baycat
    Ill be riding in Marin either Sat and/or Sunday usually in the AM. Hopefully going to hit some singletrack on Tam and maybe Tamarancho.

Ryan

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! PM me ahead of time for when you're in the Alameda area...

I'm in the East Bay South of Alameda, and might be able to hook up for something over here on Thursday, Saturday, or Sunday. Most of the dirt's really swampy, but I think the Marsh trails are safe, although flat. They can be interesting, you're out in the Salt Marsh, looking at all things "Busy" that's going on around you while you're just rolling along. Not all dirt, there are some paved sections, but it's still fun.

PM me and we'll figure things out.

Obi..

p.s. almost forgot...there's the best burrito joint in the area just down the street a couple of miles! Beer, frescas, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Obi; 04-11-2006 at 01:31 PM.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Wink Here's a shot Victor Zhang took of those trails...

Enjoy!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

jrm
    mtbr member

Hey

I live "on" Alameda (its an island you know) Anywho i know for a fact that Alameda Bikes on Park St (510) 522-0700 has stumpy 120 demo bikes for rent.

Give us a hoot a few days before you get here and im SURE we can set you up with the goods..

Jul 2004

thanks --

Hey guys,

Imridingmybike, I don't know mt. Diablo but anything sounds good to me. By Saturday I should be in fairfax (we're splitting our time between alameda and fairfax.) if you have an extra bike that's okay to loan that's great but otherwise I can rent no problem. hit me with an e-mail at [email protected] so I can send you my cell phone number, I just don't want to post it on line.

Baycat, sat or Sunday AM may work, esp. Sunday. I think I did the tamarancho loop (?) last time and it was awesome. As I said above send me an e-mail so we can trade phone numbers if you want.

Obionespeed and jrm, thanks for the alameda advice. I'll be staying in alameda through Friday then to marin for the next couple of days, so maybe we can hook something up on Thursday or Friday. Thanks for the advice about the alameda bike shop jrm. I'll be in touch via e-mail or get me at the e-mail above.

Thanks guys, looking forward to riding with at least some of you the next few days, and remember, if you ever make it out to western massachusetts, you've got a guide all set!

Marc

Members who have read this thread: 0