A little late for my 10am meeting this morning- Mtbr.com
    (slight return)

A little late for my 10am meeting this morning

A year of waffling and indecision on a new commuter is finally over... Here's the latest member of the stable on her first ride.

"I'm crossing over now to the other side..." - Morphine

-slide
    Attached Images Attached Images

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Haaaaaa!! Sweet....

Christened the tires with Presidio Dirt, followed up by a visit to the "Basement*" then??
    Get me a closeup and info about the clip on chaingaurd, haven't seen one up close yet.

What gear inch??

*Gabe(Ash) @ Basement seen it yet??

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    Haaaaaa!! Sweet....

Christened the tires with Presidio Dirt, followed up by a visit to the "Basement*" then??
    Get me a closeup and info about the clip on chaingaurd, haven't seen one up close yet.

What gear inch??

Thanks! Not a lot of dirt, mostly pavement on the way into the office (but a little dirt down by Chrissy Field.) I got it as a whole bike and it's 100% stock right now - gearing is 48:18 which turns out to be perfect for my commute.

I'll try to get some pix of the chainguard. It mounts on the bottom bracket.

-slide

baggin ho's
    Quote Originally Posted by slide mon
    Thanks! Not a lot of dirt, mostly pavement on the way into the office (but a little dirt down by Chrissy Field.) I got it as a whole bike and it's 100% stock right now - gearing is 48:18 which turns out to be perfect for my commute.

I'll try to get some pix of the chainguard. It mounts on the bottom bracket.

-slide
    That's one sweet marin county ride! Fireroad bomber!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nice bike, Slide!

I love that name: "Casseroll is the dish. You pour in the ingredients, stir it up, and ride."

So, will you be tempted to take this out on the dirt? Will we be seeing you tooling around CC on this sweet ride, or is it strictly for commute?

aka baycat
    There it is. Nice commuter now. So any luck drafting and chasing down the road riders through Crissy Field?

Feb 2008
    hey that's a nice lookin' bike, mang.

bicycle rider
    Nice bike! I dig the Campy 1010A-style dropouts. Hm, see you at the cyclocross races?

That first shot is good. (Wanted to write "*****en".)

Morgan

mtbr member
    Sweet! Nice new set of wheels, Slide. Love the color. Have fun on that baby.

See ya in a week. Keep posting so the board doesn't go to sleep.

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    There it is. Nice commuter now. So any luck drafting and chasing down the road riders through Crissy Field?
    Haha, I'm waiting to catch a mountain biker trying to draft me.

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by LucasValleyRider
    Nice bike, Slide!

I love that name: "Casseroll is the dish. You pour in the ingredients, stir it up, and ride."

So, will you be tempted to take this out on the dirt? Will we be seeing you tooling around CC on this sweet ride, or is it strictly for commute?
    Hey thanks guys. It's a pretty much for pounding the pavement for now. First ride was so good I actually started looking at maps for road rides. Gearing's a bit steep right now for cc. The big decision is the fixed-free flip flop hub - once I get a track cog on the other side I'll have to make a choice on some new duds. Spandex bibs or manpris?

-slide

S2B
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Sweet Ride! I have been thinking about buying that bike. It looks there a rear derailleur hanger if you want to throw some gears on back. Is there cable guides as well?

If I buy it I will be running it as a single...but it is always nice to have options.

gimme friction
    Slide, very sweet ride! I've been eyeballing that bike in every issue of Dirt Rag...looks like a quality setup.

Have fun, ride fast, take risks!

PS_We gotta get a dirt ride in soon.
    Johnny Ryall rode MTB

mtbr member
    Wow!

Those photos belong in a Salsa brochure! Especially those first 2 congrats on the new ride!

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quercus agrifolia
    Slide, very sweet ride! I've been eyeballing that bike in every issue of Dirt Rag...looks like a quality setup.

Have fun, ride fast, take risks!

PS_We gotta get a dirt ride in soon.
    Thanks, that's where I first saw it too. Must be a good ad! Re ride, check your PMs.

-slide

Medium?
    Very sweet ride! Do those chain tugs actually hold the axle from being pulled forwards, or just locate it before tightening the bolts? It kinda sucks to have to carry a peanut butter wrench around. A Phil Wood rear hub would be a great upgrade.

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Very sweet ride! Do those chain tugs actually hold the axle from being pulled forwards, or just locate it before tightening the bolts? It kinda sucks to have to carry a peanut butter wrench around. A Phil Wood rear hub would be a great upgrade.
    Thanks! I literally just picked it up the other night and haven't gone over it too closely yet (I was sold after the demo ride and just pulled the plug) so can't answer about the tugs or cable guides.

I don't mind the wrench as much as the 4.5 lb kryptonite ny lock. BTW, now that I'm on a road bike I thought proper protocol was to leave the tools at home and call a cab, is that wrong?

-slide

NedwannaB

One question slide.......

Thanks! I literally just picked it up the other night and haven't gone over it too closely yet (I was sold after the demo ride and just pulled the plug) so can't answer about the tugs or cable guides.

I don't mind the wrench as much as the 4.5 lb kryptonite ny lock. BTW, now that I'm on a road bike I thought proper protocol was to leave the tools at home and call a cab, is that wrong?

-slide
    ....what are those funny clamping things around the top of the wheels doing on there??

Medium?
    I don't mind the wrench as much as the 4.5 lb kryptonite ny lock.
    This will go through that lock like butter. Better to not have a lock at all and bring it into where-ever with you.

mtbr member
    awesome ride. who has them in stock in nor-cal?

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by c-wal
    awesome ride. who has them in stock in nor-cal?

http://3ringcycles.com/ Found them from the Salsa website, very cool "mom & pop" shop that goes out of their way for you. Highly recommended, but they won't have another 57cm in until August from the sounds of it.

-slide

mtbr member
    hey slide, how tall are you?

WWYD?
    A year of waffling and indecision on a new commuter is finally over... Here's the latest member of the stable on her first ride.

"I'm crossing over now to the other side..." - Morphine

-slide
    I'm diggiing the chainguard! How you like going up fort Mason on that beauty? Just finishing up on a Monocog I've converted for street riding. Look for the pics

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb
    I'm diggiing the chainguard! How you like going up fort Mason on that beauty? Just finishing up on a Monocog I've converted for street riding. Look for the pics
    Compared to my old hardtail it flies up Fort Mason. Seriously, It's like I downed a case of Red Bull! I was a little worried about the gearing for the couple short hills but it turned out to be no problem. I chalk it up to infinitely better power transfer and lighter weight.

One weird thing I haven't figured out is that the chain hits the chain guard on each turn of the cranks when hammering up a steep hill. I can adjust it but wondering is going on with that?

-slide

Medium?
    One weird thing I haven't figured out is that the chain hits the chain guard on each turn of the cranks when hammering up a steep hill. I can adjust it but wondering is going on with that?
    That's your frame and crank flexing.

I don't know what chain you have, but you might think about a KMZ BMX chain, so the boys are never violently introduced to the stem.

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    That's your frame and crank flexing.
    That was my guess, but couldn't quite figure out how the forces applied to the crank translate into frame flex (i.e. what would flex and in what direction.) Is that normal? I'd never know if it wasn't for the chain guard.

-slide

Medium?
    That was my guess, but couldn't quite figure out how the forces applied to the crank translate into frame flex (i.e. what would flex and in what direction.) Is that normal?
    It's probably the spider flexing around the bottom bracket axle.

Members who have read this thread: 0