Lip Service for Crockett Hills- Mtbr.com
    It's about showing up.

Lip Service for Crockett Hills

I just did volunteer thing for an REI wrench-it-yourself event in Berkeley. 10 Stations, lots of REI techs and BTC folk helping out. Sierra Nevada was there to make sure we kept our electrolytes balanced. Nice. Right?

We got to meet a lot of folks who wanted to know who we were and what we did. We got to asking about Crockett Hills at which point I asked Trails Coordinator Henry how the turnout was for the trail work day last month.

Turns out, to put it diplomatically, MTBR was barely represented at all.

I don't even know what to say to you guys.
    I don't rattle.

banned
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    I just did volunteer thing for an REI wrench-it-yourself event in Berkeley. 10 Stations, lots of REI techs and BTC folk helping out. Sierra Nevada was there to make sure we kept our electrolytes balanced. Nice. Right?

We got to meet a lot of folks who wanted to know who we were and what we did. We got to asking about Crockett Hills at which point I asked Trails Coordinator Henry how the turnout was for the trail work day last month.

LOL!

Feeling better about yourself once again Mike as you don the mantle of the scolding/preaching/sanctimonious "advocacy"(I use that term very loosely) whiner?

If you were just a little bit smart you would understand that many riders don't share your passion for mundane trails, let alone maintenance of those mundane trails just to show the aholes at EBRPD that the local MTB "community" is still willing to praise them/suck up to them for throwing us the meager scraps which you hold so dear.

Paper or plastic?
    Pete is back

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfForumsPast View Post
    ... many riders don't share your passion for mundane trails, let alone maintenance of those mundane trails
    I dunno... almost 1,900 Strava addicts have ridden there in the past couple years (averaging almost 3 rides per person on this segment), and I'd guess that far less than half of riders use Strava, so it is fathomable that more than 5,000 people have enjoyed these "mudane trails" . Seems like A LOT of people! But way more people use Strava than get involved in any form of trail advocacy and stewardship, that's for sure.

https://www.strava.com/segments/8719969?filter=overall

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Is there a calendar somewhere in existence (or can we make one) that collects all of the trail work days, advocacy events, and other important meetings? Seems like a public Google calendar or something would fit the bill.

Not that I would have gone to Crockett (kind of a haul from SF), but it seems like these things get put up on MTBR the day of/day before. For me, using a get-out-of-kid-care hall pass to go to one of these events (instead of riding) is a tough pill to swallow, but even more so if there's little advance notice.

It's about showing up.
    In addition to the frequent discussions about Crockett Hills, from appreciation, challenges with other users, and cattle beating up the trails, there were several announcements here about the upcoming trail work with plenty of lead time and links to signing up.

Over the years I have defended MTBR to many other user groups (Ridge Trail, NICA/NorCal, BTC et al) as a resource for supporting the mtb community and not just a locus for mouthing off.

It is no secret trail work is not high on the list of activities for mountain bikers. Limited recreational time, other life responsibilities, all very understandable. That said we do more than most any other groups to support trails. I had the impression that the ambient interest in Crockett Hills would have tangible effect on supporting the trails there.

My reaction to Henry was incredulity, anger, then disappointment. I thought it at least worth a mention. We ride 12 months out of the year....it is bewildering.
    I don't rattle.

GPzMike
    Apr 2007
    Ok, ghost, what's your tact? Instead of bashing, perhaps supplying an alternate advocacy path would better illustrate your stand.

I've run into the ranger in Crockett a couple of times and he seemed to genuinely care about what was happening in the park, and how it could be improved.
    Cheers!
    Mike
    Oakland, CA
    2005 Jamis Exile
    2011 Trek/Gary Fisher HiFi

mtbr member
    When there is trail work planned why not make a thread and get it stickied? I know some groups use meetup.com but I don't want to sign up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Mackenzie View Post
    When there is trail work planned why not make a thread and get it stickied? I know some groups use meetup.com but I don't want to sign up.
    this doesn't work as well as you think it does, at least re: tamarancho.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Speaking strictly for myself: why would I go do trail work where there is a decent chance cows are going to undo the work?

my body breaks the falls
    Quote Originally Posted by fgiraffe View Post
    there is a certainty cows are going to undo the work?
    Fixed
    Seriously though, this is one of the more frustrating aspects of such labor in EBRPD. I still subject myself on occasion, but am much more selective after seeing the results of the first 3 or 4 efforts. My kids asked once what had become of a trail they had helped with. I had to lie to them :/
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

Haud yer wheesht!
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Pete is back

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Lip Service for Crockett Hills-petes-back.jpg
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You know I see alot of people judging people cause they are not coming out for trail work days and comparing how many times people ride and such. Lets not assume everyone has a Saturdays and Sundays off to do trail I personally would help but work retail and can't make it. I know the friends I ride are in the same situation which is why we get to ride weekdays when it is less crowded anyways.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Pete is back.
    He's like herpes, always waiting to appear. Luckily Ignore Function works wonders.
    Last edited by Obi; 06-22-2016 at 10:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by g.fizzles View Post
    Lets not assume everyone has a Saturdays and Sundays off to do trail I personally would help but work retail and can't make it. I know the friends I ride are in the same situation which is why we get to ride weekdays when it is less crowded anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    Is there a calendar somewhere in existence (or can we make one) that collects all of the trail work days, advocacy events, and other important meetings? Seems like a public Google calendar or something would fit the bill.

Not that I would have gone to Crockett (kind of a haul from SF), but it seems like these things get put up on MTBR the day of/day before. For me, using a get-out-of-kid-care hall pass to go to one of these events (instead of riding) is a tough pill to swallow, but even more so if there's little advance notice.
    No central calendar I know of, but your local group (whoever they are) surely has something--meetup, facebook, email list.

And for folks in SF who work weekends... there's a trail day coming up Thursday June 30th at 6:30PM. Let's see if anyone from MTBR shows up.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1161381850549984

I think Berkeley Mike is a bit over the top here, but as far as I know it's actually the same result throughout the bay area: maybe one person shows from an MTBR post.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    And yet MBoSC has large turnouts for Demo and Wilder trail work days.
    Sierra Buttes damn near have to turn people away on work days.

I wonder why?

Maybe people have a tendency to help out more when the trail/riding area does not "cough" suck?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ARider View Post

I wonder why?

Maybe people have a tendency to help out more when the trail/riding area does not "cough" suck?
    Although you kind of have a point - Crockett is definitely no Soquel, UC, or Wilder - I'd hazzard a guess at the reasons (in no particular order and just random thoughts):

-I'd be willing to bet that a large majority of MTBR is 408 based or close to 408 based
    -MTB "community" of people inclined to dig is much larger in the 408
    -MTBR seems to be much more skewed towards Peninsula/Santa Cruz trails, for whatever reason (coolness, radness, proximity, more bike companies willing to sponsor, etc etc.) and so North Bay/East Bay or Marin trails don't quite get the "love" that the Santa Cruz trails get
    4. Yes, much more fun to work on trails where you may get to work on a fun/cool feature

But I think saying that Crockett sucks and that's the reason nobody shows up is kind of a bit extreme. It's a fun ride because all singletrack is a fun ride, especially anywhere in the Bay Area.

mtbr member
    maybe you've got the cause and the effect mixed up

mtbr member

I wonder why?

EBRPD and their policies suck

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There is a trail work day this Saturday in Joaquin Miller ,sign up on the BTCEB,org Meetup. com page .

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee29 View Post
    EBRPD and their policies suck
    This! How about the lip service that these land managers have been touting as long as they have existed? I don't blame people for not supporting a land management organization that does not listen to its users or put forth an honest and transparent land use plan. Hope is not a strategy...and I feel that hoping is all we have left in working with EBRPD.

Besides, sourcing participants for trail work at a local trail system (that does not have the clout of a Demo, UC, or even Tamarancho) on a forum serving the entire Northern California region is a lost cause. Tempered expectations can help solve Berkeley Mike's bewilderment and confusion as to what to say to us...

Trail quality and fun-level aside, the biggest differences I've seen between regions with engaged users and the Bay Area are local bike shop, K-12 cycling team, and (GASP!) other trail user promotion/participation. We have lost these great channels due to the lack of action and the lack of belief in that the system will reward us in due time.

What did Henry say about the participation overall? What was the distribution of other participants? Who was represented well?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    There is a trail work day this Saturday in Joaquin Miller ,sign up on the BTCEB,org Meetup. com page .
    Now this is something I can get behind... Thanks for the heads up

Crazed Country Rebel

I don't know, man. The few years I ran the pleasant hill bike build for foster kids I worked my ass off and always got 20 - 25 seasoned bike mechanics out there.

You can do it if you want to - you just have to do the leg work.

What funny is those years the newspaper articles always gave credit to BTCEB for the project -when BTCEB never brought more than 3 people. I wonder who gave the news reporters this idea??

But that's none of my business, I guess.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Well since this is a thread about a trail in the East Bay hopefully this isn't the wrong place to ask but is there any way I can help with trail work on any unmapped trails in the area? Moving that way in a few weeks.

mtbr member
    This is the wrong place to ask.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i'd like to help.

but my schedule is crazy. as it is, i do my little bit. i will walk around the place and pick up garbage and put it in the cans. it's a good way to cool off a bit before sitting in my hot truck.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
    Fixed
    Seriously though, this is one of the more frustrating aspects of such labor in EBRPD. I still subject myself on occasion, but am much more selective after seeing the results of the first 3 or 4 efforts. My kids asked once what had become of a trail they had helped with. I had to lie to them :/
    agreed.
    our time is better spent pressuring EBRPD to enact some requirements that the ranchers take better care that the trails don't get trashed. Simple things like don't run your cattle across saturated trails!

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

Gotta start somewhere.

Ghost of Forums Past, Tiger Mt, in Seattle started small. Now it's 28 miles of singletrack.Attachment 1078070

banned
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Ghost of Forums Past, Tiger Mt, in Seattle started small. Now it's 28 miles of singletrack.Attachment 1078070
    Been there, ridden that. A good friend (an East Bay transplant) was one of the main folks that built Predator.

Tiger Mountain is nothing like Crockett Hills for many reasons and the comparison isn't valid.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    It's not a comparison, as much as an example of a situation where you start small, and hopefully over a few years, Crocket ends up being larger. That was the point of my post. Crocket will not be Whistler. I won't try to convince you to like it, I hardly like it myself. What they did in Crocket is amazing in the Bay Area. They have done a great job.

banned
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    It's not a comparison, as much as an example of a situation where you start small, and hopefully over a few years, Crocket ends up being larger. That was the point of my post. Crocket will not be Whistler. I won't try to convince you to like it, I hardly like it myself. What they did in Crocket is amazing in the Bay Area. They have done a great job.
    Different terrain and a much, much different land manager makes the comparison invalid.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Been there, ridden that. A good friend (an East Bay transplant) was one of the main folks that built Predator.

Tiger Mountain is nothing like Crockett Hills for many reasons and the comparison isn't valid.
    Tiger Mtn is a blast, I've ridden it, Predator and all. Those are the kind of trails I wish we could have in most other places. My hat is off to Seattle for being willing to step up and have that kind of stuff. Even some of the flow-stuff around here in Alaska would put people's panties in a wad down in Arizona. It's not that it takes a whole lot of skill for some of this stuff, especially if built right (obviously not talking about Predator right now), but the willingness to build anything other than wheel-chair-accessible multi-use trails is overwhelming in locations.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Air Pirate
    Different terrain and a much, much different land manager makes the comparison invalid.
    If that is not a good comparison, then how about comparing Crockett Hills to similar type of trail and the land management in the other local areas, such as in Marin or Midpen. How does Crockett Hills and EBRPD compare up to any of that? How about the ease or difficulty of riders being able to get involved in the decision making processes/management or trail maintenance opportunities?

This is an honest question, I am curious. I have not ridden Crockett Hills yet but have ridden what Marin and Midpen have to offer.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Crockett Hills trails are fun to ride. Especially in the spring when the coastal hillsides are lush and green. The issues I have are with the land management and their decision to graze cattle when the soil can't support it. Rendering the trails un-rideable.

The work that some have done with EBRPD is nothing short of amazing. But the incremental progress is worthless in my view if the trails can't be ridden, due to the grazing allowed there.

There is no comparison between EBRPD and other park agencies. Their actions and attitudes toward cyclist speak for themselves. 35 + years and still discriminating against us

jrm
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fgiraffe View Post
    Speaking strictly for myself: why would I go do trail work where there is a decent chance cows are going to undo the work?
    Or, that the damage is so extensive that one day of work will hardly make a dent in what will continue to reduce the quality of ALL the trails or only a few trails as a result of the work done on that one day. It's will take more planning and trail days to reduce the damage out there.

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    I don't know, man. The few years I ran the pleasant hill bike build for foster kids I worked my ass off and always got 20 - 25 seasoned bike mechanics out there.

You can do it if you want to - you just have to do the leg work.

What funny is those years the newspaper articles always gave credit to BTCEB for the project -when BTCEB never brought more than 3 people. I wonder who gave the news reporters this idea??

But that's none of my business, I guess.
    A fair point. The answer lies in the history. The BTCEB P Hill event goes back to 2005 and I was in attendance through 2010 with 4-8 members on hand. We also did the P Hill 4th of July parade. Part of that focus was through particularly active member who lived in P Hill (anyone recall the Briones Mafia?), who has since moved on. As such BTCEB branding runs deep.

The next thought is that the BTCEB has a huge 2-county piece of ground to cover with membership truncated by the hills and the tunnel.

Get comfy.

The majority of BTC members live with spitting distance of Oakland, from Crockett to Fremont, but really Richmond to San Leandro, on the west side of the tunnel. Interestingly about 40% of member live on the other side of the tunnel. We have a large north/south East Bay hills segment that separates us. With EBRPD offices also on the west side of the tunnel and the major political conflicts in Wildcat/Tilden/Redwood (referred to by EBRPD as The Red Crescent) and the #1 destination for East Bay Riders being Joaquin Miller (after their own haunts, that is by our statistics) working on the west side of the hills makes sense.

In about 2011 when I was President I formed some pretty substantial efforts to create major investment by riders in the East Bay Valleys from the River to Livermore, Lafayette to Antioch and very importantly, Mt. Diablo. As far back as 2001 Presidents held meetings in Antioch, Walnut Creek, Livermore. We tried to develop leadership out in that area for several reasons; reduction of our travel overhead, an appreciation for local knowledge, and harnessing the personal investment.

For several years, 2011-1014 we held our meetings in Lafayette in hope that local talent would come. Traveling 40-80-mile roundtrips for folks who needed to be represented was onerous. I used a pretty extensive email list of folks in that area and we plowed that field repeatedly hoping to get folks to show up and hoping against hope to find someone out there to show some leadership and create a focus for the eastern portion of our Fiefdom. We looked for folks to take on Diablo issues with Save Mt. Diablo and had significant efforts there. We did the same with Concord Naval Weapons Station.

No luck.

So what you have is Chuck doing the Wrench thing, for which I am personally thankful, and more east-of-the-tunnel folks participating.
    I don't rattle.

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastBayMTB View Post
    Tempered expectations can help solve Berkeley Mike's bewilderment and confusion as to what to say to us...
    Beast, I have been doing this since the late 80s. One simply cannot do this work with unrealistic expectations. People have lives. However, historically the MTBR folk have stepped up.

Crockett Hills gets a fair amount of positive attention, especially in comparison to any of the other EBRPD Parks where, according the BTCEB statistics, most people in the East Bay do the majority of their riding. After that they travel to Joaquin Miller, Tamarancho, China Camp, Annadel, Rockville, Skyline, Skeggs in that order.

Crockett Hills gets thousands of riders, more than any other EBRPD park. Many lurk and contribute here at MTBR. My chagrin is hardly unwarranted.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Beast, I have been doing this since the late 80s. One simply cannot do this work with unrealistic expectations. People have lives. However, historically the MTBR folk have stepped up.

Crockett Hills gets a fair amount of positive attention, especially in comparison to any of the other EBRPD Parks where, according the BTCEB statistics, most people in the East Bay do the majority of their riding. After that they travel to Joaquin Miller, Tamarancho, China Camp, Annadel, Rockville, Skyline, Skeggs in that order.

Crockett Hills gets thousands of riders, more than any other EBRPD park. Many lurk and contribute here at MTBR. My chagrin is hardly unwarranted.
    Some trailhead signage for trail work days would net more volunteers than posting here would. Just a constructive suggestion

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee29 View Post
    Some trailhead signage for trail work days would net more volunteers than posting here would. Just a constructive suggestion
    This is probably true.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Fair enough, I can agree since its difficult enough coordinate with my group of riding buddies to contribute or even ride. Pardon my ignorance, somewhat new around these parts/discussion.

My feelings/opinions come from growing up in the shadow of the Pleasanton Ridge. Now I am a stones throw from the JMP trailheads and wish EBRPD took some successes from there and applied it to the parks they operate. I'll be at the trail work day tomorrow, it'll be good to meet everyone.

I understand that Crockett Hills gets high ridership numbers. My point that I failed to clearly make was that I think more focus needs to be put on the other EBRPD trail networks (the limited legal narrow trails at Shell, Briones, Pleasanton Ridge, Del Valle, etc.) to re-engage the local bike shops and mtb community. Everyone I talk to feels so defeated and fail to find an answer to, "whats in it for me?".

Driving 45+ minutes to a park they like to visit but is not worth helping manage since they can't ride it everyday is a strong deterrent. That's at least my selfish reason for going to the JMP day and not the Crockett Hills day.

mtbr member
    Cows damaged one trail bad enough for you to call it unrideable, even though I rode it. Got to start somewhere. Those crummy land managers kept the cows out of the new trail area during the wet season.

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastBayMTB View Post
    Fair enough, I can agree since its difficult enough coordinate with my group of riding buddies to contribute or even ride. Pardon my ignorance, somewhat new around these parts/discussion.

My feelings/opinions come from growing up in the shadow of the Pleasanton Ridge. Now I am a stones throw from the JMP trailheads and wish EBRPD took some successes from there and applied it to the parks they operate. I'll be at the trail work day tomorrow, it'll be good to meet everyone.

I understand that Crockett Hills gets high ridership numbers. My point that I failed to clearly make was that I think more focus needs to be put on the other EBRPD trail networks (the limited legal narrow trails at Shell, Briones, Pleasanton Ridge, Del Valle, etc.) to re-engage the local bike shops and mtb community. Everyone I talk to feels so defeated and fail to find an answer to, "whats in it for me?".

Driving 45+ minutes to a park they like to visit but is not worth helping manage since they can't ride it everyday is a strong deterrent. That's at least my selfish reason for going to the JMP day and not the Crockett Hills day.
    P Ridge saw new trail or two of the "narrow variety" with BTC advocacy help over 12 years (overall design plan by BTCEB Shawn Reid in 2002.) Stuff takes forever and folks walk away with paltry gains. Totally understandable.

Crockett Hills is the best they can do. Whether that is good enough for everyone...At the same time we need it support it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lip Service for Crockett Hills-72tlcover.jpg  

I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    Thanks to this reminder, I signed up and brought a friend with me. I made a point of mentioning to the guy organizing the work effort, that these forums deserve some credit for getting us out there. If I hadn't done that, it never would have come up. No one was asking. Not saying they should HAVE to...

It definitely looked like most of the volunteers were repeat customers.

Oh, and the La Farine ham and cheese puff pastry things provided during the snack break are a danger that I did not know existed. Yum.

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009
    Where do I send cash? Effectively...
    About 6 weeks ago, while riding Crockett Hills with my buddy, and lamenting the damage done to very hard work done by a hardy bunch of trail workers, we determined that neither of us would be very effective at trail work for more than 2-3 hours.
    My delicate hands would blister, my muscles would groan and my work would be not very effective. I have no trail building skills.
    Both of us do pretty well financially though. We agreed that most things are best done by those that do them very well. We both would donate generously to directly benefit our riding experience.
    We have Tamarancho passes.
    I bought a sustantial amount of single track in the Downiville fundraisers.
    I would gladly give a good chunck of cash to whomever could guarantee the money was keeping a cow of my local trail.
    Every time I ride CH, I make a point to get some food, or gas, or coffee, and let the cashier know I am spending my money in Crockett(the town really needs it) in return for the trails built for us.
    I have been slow to buy my BTC membership, but will get on that too.
    The question begs.
    Can we buy singletrack in the east bay?
    Can the land management groups be lobbied quid pro qou?

Lime Ridge is my back yard. I would drop $1k in the collection hat in a heartbeat to see the place switched to singletrack legal for all the trails.
    Could it be done?

It's about showing up.
    Now this is the MTBR I know....
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    I was there for the trail day. There were a shitload of people! They did not go around asking "Are you here from MTBR?"

I was.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by BK-XC View Post
    I was there for the trail day. There were a shitload of people! They did not go around asking "Are you here from MTBR?"

I was.
    Tsk tsk. If you ever do anything good for the bike community you're supposed to brag about being a member of mtbr or btceb to anyone who will listen.

This is how the btceb got credit for running the pleasant hill bike build 3 years in a row when in fact they did very little.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Hella Olde
    Based on what I'm reading here, I'm going to wait to hit up CH next Spring. Sounds like a lot of carbon footprints for a West Bay rider to spend geting to earth pummeled by the methane-makers.

mtbr member
    The trails that make the place a destination are not cow-damaged. There might still be an issue in some places with weeds hanging over the trail. Bring a scythe.

This time of year I'd worry about heat more than anything else at Crockett.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you wait til spring ,more than likely the cows will have damaged the trails again,unless East Bay Parks changes the way they let t he cattle graze. I don't see that happening soon.The trails will get better from riding on them ,and I don't think they are bad now.

GPzMike
    Apr 2007
    Last time I rode CH, it was only one trail that was made hard to ride from cows. And it can be bypassed. All the scrumptious tidbits were untouched by the beasts.

But, while we are talking about this...can someone tell me why cows are a bad idea? Sorta seems like a win-win...if the ranchers don't need vast private tracts of land to feed their cows, then that means more land for park use (for whatever use). Also, isn't the cycle of life introduced by the presence of the cows a good thing? What makes it a bad solution?
    Cheers!
    Mike
    Oakland, CA
    2005 Jamis Exile

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emjayel View Post
    Also, isn't the cycle of life introduced by the presence of the cows a good thing? What makes it a bad solution?
    are you talking about hamburgers? I fully support eating hamburgers at Crockett Hills.

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclemech1 View Post
    Where do I send cash? Effectively...
    About 6 weeks ago, while riding Crockett Hills with my buddy, and lamenting the damage done to very hard work done by a hardy bunch of trail workers, we determined that neither of us would be very effective at trail work for more than 2-3 hours.
    My delicate hands would blister, my muscles would groan and my work would be not very effective. I have no trail building skills.
    Both of us do pretty well financially though. We agreed that most things are best done by those that do them very well. We both would donate generously to directly benefit our riding experience.
    We have Tamarancho passes.
    I bought a sustantial amount of single track in the Downiville fundraisers.
    I would gladly give a good chunck of cash to whomever could guarantee the money was keeping a cow of my local trail.
    Every time I ride CH, I make a point to get some food, or gas, or coffee, and let the cashier know I am spending my money in Crockett(the town really needs it) in return for the trails built for us.
    I have been slow to buy my BTC membership, but will get on that too.
    The question begs.

Lime Ridge is my back yard. I would drop $1k in the collection hat in a heartbeat to see the place switched to singletrack legal for all the trails.
    Could it be done?
    Send me money? LOL

I'll keep the flow at Tamarancho flowin'

banned
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclemech1 View Post
    The question begs.
    No, not realistically.

No.

Could it be done?
    No.

New to mountain biking in the East Bay? Yes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just rode CH a couple of days ago, first time since right after the winter and after the trail work. I have to say that while some of the trails are fine, there is still a lot of very overgrown trail. So much so (and yes this was my fault) that at the end of a really good ride, on the bottom of soaring eagle in that last tight (now very tight) patch of manzanita, my handlebar was caught and yanked out of my hands, sending me onto my back in the manzanita. I was lucky, it was a very low speed fall given how overgrown the trail was, but I still got caught. Only casualty was that my garmin 705 was ripped off the handlebars and flew off into the manzanita somewhere and I did not find it. Soaring eagle is still pretty bumpy, and is overgrown in that one spot. The back singletrack that winds up to the far side hill is really badly overgrown in several spots. No ticks this time but I was getting whacked pretty good in lots of spots. I wish the EBRPD would just go through the trails with a weed whacker, it would make a huge difference. The trails themselves are otherwise in good shape.

I'm really diggin it!
    Most agencies don't brush the trail due to spotted owl nesting restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GPzMike
    Apr 2007
    How does making the trail more navigable affect a winged creature?
    Cheers!
    Mike
    Oakland, CA
    2005 Jamis Exile