lift assisted riding in Nor Cal?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

lift assisted riding in Nor Cal?

Gonna be going to Sac in a week and wanna do some ski hill riding. Is tahoe open for mtb this time of year? If not, anywhere else i should check out? Id have to rent a bike, so thats a must as well.

THanks

Weird huh?
    Hey,
    Welcome Marko! Are you in California?

Tahoe (Squaw Valley, and others) are generally open for mountain biking after the snow melts.

Read after the snow melts.

There are still skiing conditions in the Sierra Nevada's . Next week is not going to be too optimum for mountain biking.

Bring a board or skis however!

Blame it on .......El Nino, El Nina, The Myan Calendar Prophecy, (God, Buddah, Allah) Global warming, and Bush. Take yer pick.

Anyway, killer snow this year. Next week may be a bit premature for riding. I'll wait for the locals to weigh in.........TahoeBC?

Cheers!

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    buzz kill... are there areas south of sac that have lift assisted riding?

and no, im in Canada, will be in cali next wed.

mtbr member
    All of the places with lifts are there mostly as ski resorts, and as such won't be open to bike riding until at least late June, and as late as August for some parks. However, there are plenty of non-assisted places to ride.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    plenty of non lift assisted, but tahoe is still pretty buried. I know, I'm starting to itch for northstar to open.

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko G
    buzz kill... are there areas south of sac that have lift assisted riding?

and no, im in Canada, will be in cali next wed.
    California. Not 'cali', California.

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Squaw Valley, which is in view from the backside of Northstar is reporting 225" (over 18 feet) of snow at 8200 foot elevation and 75" at 6200 ft. It's going to be a while before they are open for biking. BTW, I understand the new owners of Squaw are going to opening it up for sumer biking, not sure about lift assisted or not.

mtbr member
    Just skied at Alpine Meadows on Friday. Spring conditions were excellent. Most likely there will be a lot of snow around until late June for sure. The snow pack in the parking lot was 18-20'. Skied Lassen Park on Sunday, same story. The visitor center was surrounded by snow up to and above the roof!

I don't see a lift assisted season in Tahoe happening til August. Though the most exposed aspects will melt faster, there is an absolutely incredible amount of snowpack this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko G
    If not, anywhere else i should check out? Id have to rent a bike, so thats a must as well.

THanks
    If you're in Sac, get up to Auburn and see about arranging shuttle runs up and down the Confluence/Mammoth Bar area. I don't do that anymore, but its alot of fun.

Go to the Hub in Roseville to rent one of their bikes - they can hook you up well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was at Sea Otter on Saturday and spoke to the guys from Kirkwood and they said they were hoping they could open up for 4th of July, so it'll be a while. The big resorts down here are Northstar and Mammoth and I imagine they'll be on a largely similar schedule. Its going to be a late start to the season this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bycyclist
    If you're in Sac, get up to Auburn and see about arranging shuttle runs up and down the Confluence/Mammoth Bar area. I don't do that anymore, but its alot of fun.

Go to the Hub in Roseville to rent one of their bikes - they can hook you up well.
    this.

and seriously post up, you can work out shuttle runs pretty easy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bycyclist

this is sweet, appreciate it very much

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There's a fairly new shuttle service for local trail riding in Santa Cruz. This is not repeated-downhill run ski resort type shuttling but it does allow you to ride some trails where many pros ride...like the Santa Cruz DH pros, Specialized pros, and other local NorCal pros.

http://mbosc.org/2010/06/Shuttle_Smith_flyer.pdf
    We Ride In God's Country!

Rejoicing always!
    Regarding Tahoe, I'll be staying at the Ridge near Heavenly second/third week of June. Though I would LOVE to hit Mr Toads, I may choose to take my 6 year old snowboarding instead.

Rejoicing always!
    Okay, just checked, Heavenly is closed for the season?!

Coors, the american beer.
    if tahoe is this socked in and heavenly is closed for the season i cant even imagine silver mtn in idaho opening either.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch
    There's a fairly new shuttle service for local trail riding in Santa Cruz. This is not repeated-downhill run ski resort type shuttling but it does allow you to ride some trails where many pros ride...like the Santa Cruz DH pros, Specialized pros, and other local NorCal pros.

http://mbosc.org/2010/06/Shuttle_Smith_flyer.pdf

Shuttle sucks. It leaves you mid-way to the top. So you still have to climb, then when you drop to demonstration forest you have to do a BIG climb to the top of aptos creek road. Thats two climbs not not stated at the shuttle business website.

The shuttle service does not have this info on thier web site. They just state that you've got nothing but down hill as fast as you can go. WRONG, going down aptos creek road is a heavely traveled road, so going as fast as you desire is not ADVISABLE or SAFE.

ITs a weak place to have a shuttle................................ waste of your money

Members who have read this thread: 0