fc
    head minion Administrator

Let's see your bike trainer or indoor setup

Let's see it. Maybe give others some ideas for building out.

With thru-axles and all that, it's a bit harder to do mountain bikes with trainers. Any yoga setups, gear/video recommendations?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I absolutely hate riding indoors... but I want to keep my fitness so it must be done. I use the Peloton App with this Cycleops spin bike.

Let's see your bike trainer or indoor setup-trainer.jpg

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbtsc View Post
    I absolutely hate riding indoors... but I want to keep my fitness so it must be done. I use the Peloton App with this Cycleops spin bike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trainer.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	162.6 KB 
ID:	1226849
    Is the Peloton App good? Connected to trainer?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Is the Peloton App good? Connected to trainer?
    The Peloton app is pretty good. I've done plenty of spin classes so I know how these things work. The bike is not connected to the app in any way but I can still stream the classes and play along at home. I don't need to see how I'm doing compared to a class of people. The spin bike has an on board computer if I need any data. The hardest part for me is the music selection for the different classes. I listen to pretty obscure metal/punk music and that stuff is non existent on the app.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Does anybody make one that hooks up to a computer as a pointing device? So you pedal and lean to move the cursor around the screen.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have an old 26inch mountain bike mounted up to a wheel on trainer. I tried Zwift for a week and trainerroad for a week. So far I like TR better. zwift is probably good if you are into the social aspect and racing etc etc. But for purely training with a dumb trainer I felt that Zwift was not that great (need two devices android phone + computer - compared to just the phone for trainerroad)

I built myself a gym about a year ago in a covered courtyard (about 10x10) and I have a power rack, cable machine, and now my trainer setup. The amount of heat you generate is crazy when stationary. Even outside in like 55 degree weather I need to basically be naked (shorts only) and have a fan on me.

Sitting stationary for so long is super painful on my butt and I just bought an SQ seat (cost more than the trainer) that's hopefully more comfortable than what I have on there

https://i.imgur.com/IqerXlc.jpg

yes, that's wet spots are drops of sweat. And, I still need to mount my fan to my ghetto stairs (which I should eventually rebuild)

Moderator Moderator
    I just do burpees and swing kettlebells.

Trail Gnome
    Here’s mine...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your bike trainer or indoor setup-5bf209b2-6891-4855-a9fb-390bcfec86e2.jpg  

Gnar? I didn't see it...
    I have a Keiser M3i spin bike and use an Ipad to binge on Netflix.

fc
    https://reviews.mtbr.com/wahoo-kickr...orm-first-look

This was my setup last year. I still have it in storage so finally took it out and put it in the living room. It's very good and very expensive but I have a few mods.

- need to display the iphone screen onto a tv. I think i need apple tv. That laptop and projector is too painful to setup.

- need a fan, hopefully remote controlled

- need a mat under the bike to protect the floor.

- can't really use a mountain bike with 1x since the gearing is jus too low
    IPA will save America

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    I recently moved from NorCal to Denmark and invested in a Kickr to keep (grow?) my fitness through the long dark, cold, wet and snowy Danish winter.

The Kickr comes with thru.axle adaptors so it is very easy to mount up a mtb, but my XC bike is currently set up SS

I have no desire to get on Zwift, but I use a Wahoo Elment head unit to connect to and control the Kickr. I (err my buddy who is a coach and house-sitting my NorCal house does!) programs workouts into TrainingPeaks, and I simply turn on my Wahoo, select the days planned workout and the Elemnt controls the power output on the Kickr for the intervals in the workout. Easy peazy (well, the work outs sure are not lol).

I've tried setting up my iPad right next to it to watch Netflix, movies or whatever...but aside from the warmup and cool down, I am usually working too hard to be able to pay any attention. One thing I'll put on is feeds & replays of UCI Belgian cross races, or the Red Bull replays of World Cup XC. Don't really have to pay attention and can glance it here and there. Other than that, it's earbuds in my ears jamming out to music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

With thru-axles and all that, it's a bit harder to do mountain bikes with trainers. Any yoga setups, gear/video recommendations?
    Wahoo Kickr's come with thu-axle adapters. Very easy to set up thru-axle MTB, cross bikes on it. Might be others as well but not sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Just picked a peloton up a week ago to get thru the long Iowa winter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by shred79 View Post

How much? Any good?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    So far great
    We got the family pack so 2 sets of shoes earbuds hrm ect for $2500+ shipping
    The classes are $40 a month so we got a year($480) but we're told we could freeze the subscription in the summer when were out rideing.
    The wife said local spin classes are $16 per person per class I think we have around 30 rides in the 2 weeks we've had it so it's worth it to us.
    It's quite and alot harder to ride for 30 or 45 min straight then a usual road ride or MTB ride.
    I'm still getting use to being clipped in.
    How much? Any good?

jms
    mtbr member

Just Say No

Don't be a lab animal. Just say "no".
    Let's see your bike trainer or indoor setup-fullsizeoutput_3d1.jpg
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    https://reviews.mtbr.com/wahoo-kickr...orm-first-look

This was my setup last year. I still have it in storage so finally took it out and put it in the living room. It's very good and very expensive but I have a few mods.

- need to display the iphone screen onto a tv. I think i need apple tv. That laptop and projector is too painful to setup.

- need a fan, hopefully remote controlled

- need a mat under the bike to protect the floor.

- can't really use a mountain bike with 1x since the gearing is jus too low
    I use this apple adapter to display my phone screen on the tv. Works perfect.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...tal-av-adapter

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It would appear one of these is in our future soon as well. Wife demo'd one at the store in Palo really liked it, looks like a murphy bed will go up in our spare room...

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbtsc View Post
    I use this apple adapter to display my phone screen on the tv. Works perfect.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...tal-av-adapter
    Thank you!!! The main solution is Apple TV and I'm not jazzed about buying that.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I picked up an E-Trainer, no more sweating for this guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freezer
    My office building just installed a new gym with Peloton bikes. I've never been into spin classes, but I've become addicted to the damn thing, and I'm putting in 2x the effort that I usually do on a standalone spin bike. The leaderboard is like crack to an exercise junkie- I can't ignore it! I'm sure it says a lot about my personality, but my biking fitness level is up significantly since I started working out on the Peloton.

I do have two caveats about the Peloton, however. First, the monthly subscription fees are not trivial, especially after paying over $2k for the bike. Second, the build quality and design of the bike are pretty mediocre. We have a Lifecycle GX spin bike at home, and the design and build quality are way better than the Peloton. But my workouts are shorter and less intense on the Lifecycle...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your bike trainer or indoor setup-img_2512.jpg  

Yeti SB4.5
    Pivot Mach 5.5

mtbr member
    I have the peloton trainer in the garage. It is pretty cool, got it for my wife as she was spending over $200 a month on average at cyclebar, now I pay $98 a month and I can use it when its to wet to play outside. I have to be honest, it is a pretty bad ass workout, 45min on that thing and I am sweating more than a 4 hour ride outside.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    If your pushing the cadiance and resistance they want in the class it will whip you into shape!
    Quote Originally Posted by JHart94949 View Post
    I have the peloton trainer in the garage. It is pretty cool, got it for my wife as she was spending over $200 a month on average at cyclebar, now I pay $98 a month and I can use it when its to wet to play outside. I have to be honest, it is a pretty bad ass workout, 45min on that thing and I am sweating more than a 4 hour ride outside.

fc
    $200/month??? Damn.... how much are those places.

one thing with paying $40/month at something like Peloton is going to make you work out when you think of that price and amortization. Kinda.

Zwift is now $15 a month. Damn, everyone wants a monthly fee.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Let's see your bike trainer or indoor setup-5b0a9ebf-dbbe-4bf6-9ff1-2a6e91640ed5.jpg
    Bike trainers

mtbr member
    It is crazy!!!! That was with a discount. Look up soulcycle and Cyclebar, they are both $300 + a month.

one thing with paying $40/month at something like Peloton is going to make you work out when you think of that price and amortization. Kinda.

Zwift is now $15 a month. Damn, everyone wants a monthly fee.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Soul Cycle is like $30-40 a class I think. It's insane how much people will spend on something like this without getting any kind of loyalty or volume discount. Same with yoga classes. I have a membership at Fitness SF here in SF and I think it's $100 a month (free benefit at my office) for unlimited yoga, spin, or whatever else classes at all their locations. And of course, you get to use the weights and machines in their gyms too. When I lived closer, I used to do spin twice a week, yoga twice a week there -- much better deal monthly. The spin and yoga instructors were mostly good, a few excellent. Now I do yoga 3x a week there during lunch with my favorite instructor, and spin at home before/after work on the trainer -- I spent $400 on my trainer setup, and I'm grandfathered in to $10 a month for Trainerroad ($15/mo now).

Trainer setup is a Kinetic Road Machine Smart 2 (not really a smart trainer, as there's no resistance control, but it accurately measures power and cadence) hooked up to my cross bike. I use an old gym towel to keep sweat off the bike (more or less) and an old yoga mat to keep the floors clean. Sorry about the rotation -- unclear to me how to get the uploader to not flip the image in the right direction, I tried uploading both normal and rotated versions.

Let's see your bike trainer or indoor setup-img_4036.jpg

I put Trainerroad on my laptop, and usually put a video from BKXC, Nate Hills, etc on the TV for motivation and distraction -- I've just made a big playlist on Youtube I loop through.

I am curious if anyone has a fan setup they are proud of, preferably one that's not too expensive or large? I overheat very easily when I ride and I sweat heavily; my fan is a cheap Honeywell that does basically nothing. I've resorted to just putting the bike where there's a window at my back and opening it all the way, which does work pretty well in the morning and night when it's cold out.

mtbr member
    yeah I always try to push it faster and harder than they say. I haven't take a "pro" class yet, might give one a try this weekend if its raining.

If your pushing the cadiance and resistance they want in the class it will whip you into shape!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I'm just pushing the begginer advanced classes,at 57 it pushes my heatrate plenty
    yeah I always try to push it faster and harder than they say. I haven't take a "pro" class yet, might give one a try this weekend if its raining.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rafekett View Post

I am curious if anyone has a fan setup they are proud of, preferably one that's not too expensive or large? I overheat very easily when I ride and I sweat heavily; my fan is a cheap Honeywell that does basically nothing. I've resorted to just putting the bike where there's a window at my back and opening it all the way, which does work pretty well in the morning and night when it's cold out.

I got this one: it's pretty great

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0073...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Moderator Moderator
    How about an alternate outdoor set up? For example, when the trails are too muddy, I used to take my surfboard out for paddles, or do hikes. I'm going to start doing some kayaking this winter. What else do you guys do in the 'down' times, or 'off' season?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahooo View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5B0A9EBF-DBBE-4BF6-9FF1-2A6E91640ED5.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	436.4 KB 
ID:	1227106
    Bike trainers
    Altra kicks ass. Just got the Lone Peak 4.0s. Hiked in ankle deep mud in Kauai with them, great traction and amazingly comfortable even completely soaked with mud. Washed them in a stream, dried out overnight, like new in the morning.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rafekett View Post
    I have a similar setup and also watch MTB POV during trainer rides!

I got an used kinetic rock-n-roll and put inRide sensor on it to get power data. My v1 inRide does not report cadence accurate enough, thus needs another Wahoo speed/cadence sensor. Run Kinetic App on iPhone, which cost $0 and has 100+ workout without subscription. Even better, it is not limited to Kinetic trainer and can receive any trainer or power meter data. The training plan does require subscription but I can manage it on a spreadsheet myself. Use Golden Cheetah to analyze data, which is also free, and wear HRM during MTB rides and import them as well. The whole setup requirement no monthly fee.

I do need a fan to cool me down even my setup is in the garage and I typically ride in the morning or evening. I use a Vornado 460 right to the front wheel. Far enough that my toe will not hit it but close enough that I can change the fan speed. I feel such “side wind” cool me down way better than a headwind. I adjust the tilt such that both upper body and head can feel the wind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    How about an alternate outdoor set up? For example, when the trails are too muddy, I used to take my surfboard out for paddles, or do hikes. I'm going to start doing some kayaking this winter. What else do you guys do in the 'down' times, or 'off' season?
    I run, road bike and am thinking about investing in a split snowboard to skin into backcountry areas and ride the pow back. If anyone is well versed in these boards pls share your intel!

Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Altra kicks ass. Just got the Lone Peak 4.0s. Hiked in ankle deep mud in Kauai with them, great traction and amazingly comfortable even completely soaked with mud. Washed them in a stream, dried out overnight, like new in the morning.
    They are great shoes. I bought them because I’m a believer in minimum padding and zero drop. With the foot strike occurring at the ball of my foot rather than my heal my calves and quads absorb the impact rather than my joints which is the case with a heal strike.

mtbr member
    So far great
    We got the family pack so 2 sets of shoes earbuds hrm ect for $2500+ shipping
    The classes are $40 a month so we got a year($480) but we're told we could freeze the subscription in the summer when were out rideing.
    The wife said local spin classes are $16 per person per class I think we have around 30 rides in the 2 weeks we've had it so it's worth it to us.
    It's quite and alot harder to ride for 30 or 45 min straight then a usual road ride or MTB ride.
    I'm still getting use to being clipped in.

where at in Iowa? Im in Marion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Cedar falls
    I ride with a bunch of old bmxers out of cedar rapids.
    Really enjoyed riding squaw and the ripping down the trash more DH
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    where at in Iowa? Im in Marion.

mtbr member
    Cedar falls
    I ride with a bunch of old bmxers out of cedar rapids.
    Really enjoyed riding squaw and the ripping down the trash more DH

right on! Squaw is my normal spot. I did get to trashmore once and it was great, going down. Im terribly out of shape for that climb up though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Ya the grind up is tuff,but I've got the ride down figured out and stole the strava kom before they closed for the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    right on! Squaw is my normal spot. I did get to trashmore once and it was great, going down. Im terribly out of shape for that climb up though.

mtbr member
    Wow, Peloton is >$2k for the bike and $40/month subscription?? That seems ludicrous (to me)! But I guess if you're shelling out $30 a shot for spin classes, maybe not such a bad deal in that context.

My pretty solid carbon road bike (Diamondback century 4) and direct drive smart trainer (Tacx flux) together cost less than a Peloton bike. I've been using Sufferfest, and really like it. The videos are pretty entertaining and I've found them to be more engaging than riding in virtual world, or staring at rectangles while watching Youtube/Netflix/Sports. They also have yoga and body weight strength training videos, which I have been making good use of. I paid $90 for a year subscription; I think it's $13/month.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    We got a Peloton a couple weeks ago and damn that thing is addictive. Price is crazy but there is a lot that is included with it and the classes are quite fun. Definitely push myself more with that leaderboard on the side and my wife loves it which is always a plus. Hopefully, will be in better condition at the start of riding season next year so I can shred right away and not feel like a POS the first few trails.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    Wow, Peloton is >$2k for the bike and $40/month subscription?? That seems ludicrous (to me)! But I guess if you're shelling out $30 a shot for spin classes, maybe not such a bad deal in that context.

My pretty solid carbon road bike (Diamondback century 4) and direct drive smart trainer (Tacx flux) together cost less than a Peloton bike. I've been using Sufferfest, and really like it. The videos are pretty entertaining and I've found them to be more engaging than riding in virtual world, or staring at rectangles while watching Youtube/Netflix/Sports. They also have yoga and body weight strength training videos, which I have been making good use of. I paid $90 for a year subscription; I think it's $13/month.
    What is sufferfest and what's good about it?

Peloton is pricey but people seem to be using it once puchased. It's only expensive if you don't use it often enough... like a gym membership.

And for a long while, the Peloton machines will have tremendous resale value. So if you don't hang on to it forever, it's like renting it for a few $hundred.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    What is sufferfest and what's good about it?

Peloton is pricey but people seem to be using it once puchased. It's only expensive if you don't use it often enough... like a gym membership.

And for a long while, the Peloton machines will have tremendous resale value. So if you don't hang on to it forever, it's like renting it for a few $hundred.
    It's structured interval workouts, with power targets based on your results from a fitness test. There are 10-12 week training plans based on your goals, weaknesses, available time, similar to trainer road, and others. Here is DC rainmakers discussion of it: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/10/...-platform.html

What I like about it is the videos that play during the workouts (I've heard them described as "what would happen if you did a workout, while your buddies got drunk and heckled you from the couch.") I find them pretty entertaining, and Sufferfest is the only indoor riding platform I've tried where I don't totally hate it and count down the seconds until the workout is over (have also done Zwift, trainer road, Bkool, and making my own workouts in the Tacx app). Obviously, YMMV.

Also, they have yoga videos from Abi Carver (https://yogaformountainbikers.com/). I was actually paying for a subscription to her site for a few months before I started Sufferfest.