Legal trail to Sunol Ridge radio tower- Mtbr.com
    HammerHead

Legal trail to Sunol Ridge radio tower

I have been riding in Pleasnton ridge for while and was wondering if there is a legal trail from Pleasanton ridge to Sunol ridge radio tower. I checked downtown Sunol and found gated trailhead at the end of Railroad Ave. I did some checking on Google and found that radio tower used by N6QAC. but there is no description about trail access.
    I also found trail leading from Sindbad Creek trail uphill from Pleasanton ridge, but did not follow up on it since it was not on official map.
    I was wondering if anybody knows legal trail to climb Sunol Ridge radio tower.
    2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 3 29er
    2013 Tarmac Sport
    2009 Langster Moscow
    "What is wrong?"
    "You need a new bike"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    None that I know of. Why do you want to go there anyway? When you have great legal trails such as this.

HammerHead
    I have ridden Pleaanton Ridge for almost 10 years and was just wondering if I can connect through the Sunol ridge to Palomares road.
    Also it is another hill in the backyard that I can climb
    2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 3 29er
    2013 Tarmac Sport
    2009 Langster Moscow
    "What is wrong?"
    "You need a new bike"

Devil Mtn
    Quote Originally Posted by Gevorg
    I have ridden Pleaanton Ridge for almost 10 years and was just wondering if I can connect through the Sunol ridge to Palomares road.
    Also it is another hill in the backyard that I can climb
    i'd be interested in such a route too....

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by Gevorg
    I have been riding in Pleasnton ridge for while and was wondering if there is a legal trail from Pleasanton ridge to Sunol ridge radio tower. I checked downtown Sunol and found gated trailhead at the end of Railroad Ave. I did some checking on Google and found that radio tower used by N6QAC. but there is no description about trail access.
    I also found trail leading from Sindbad Creek trail uphill from Pleasanton ridge, but did not follow up on it since it was not on official map.
    I was wondering if anybody knows legal trail to climb Sunol Ridge radio tower.
    I bet Joe Steel would know...HEY JOE!!!
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Old School

Not that I know of.....

I'm not aware of any legal access to the Sunol Ridge west of the Pleasanton Ridge. I do recall reading somewhere (newpaper?) about a parcel of land purchase by EBRPD some time ago, and it seems to me that it was somewhere in the direction of the Sunol Ridge. In looking at a 2004 version of the Pleasanton Ridge park map, there is a single diamond-shaped parcel of land extending west from the Sinbad Creek Trail near the north part of the park. The parcel extends west over the Sunol Ridge (actually tiping out at Polomares Rd). However, no legitimate trails are shown, and I doubt that this area would provide much bike access to the Sunol Ridge from P Ridge unless there was some serious bushwhacking going on.

What I do know is this:
    If one were to continue north along the Sinbad Creek Trail you would come to the end of the EBRPD park land at marker #32. Beyond this is private property. Further up the fire road paralleling the creek, one would notice that you are approaching the headwaters of Sinbad Creek, at a point where the Sunol Ridge and the Pleasanton Ridge join together like a horseshoe. At the apex of the horseshoe, fire roads loop to the east and the west. The fire roads to the east loop back toward the Pleasonton Ridge and the North Ridge Trail, while trails to the west appear to loop in the direction of the Sunol Ridge (not confirmed).

There are structures on the Sunol Ridge in this vacinity. Inhabited? I dunno. I do know ranchers don't take kindly to trespassers. So, I wouldn't advise exploring in private property, unless you consider being made to "squeel like a pig" a thrill

Beyond the Sunol Ridge would be Polomares Canyon, and beyond that is Garin/Dry Creek Regional Park -- now that would be an epic journey.....

I wonder how many meth labs you would have to avoid along the way

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel
    Beyond the Sunol Ridge would be Polomares Canyon, and beyond that is Garin/Dry Creek Regional Park -- now that would be an epic journey.....

I wonder how many meth labs you would have to avoid along the way
    Plan it and we will come. The Mafia have discussed slitting up our Tuesday night rides. On the first Tues of the month is the BTCEB meeting, so no ride; the second, Briones; the third, a travelling ride - i.e. P.R., Las Trampas, etc.; the 4th, Briones again and on the 5th Tuesdays when they occur, another travelling ride.

So, if you want to explore the meth lab areas of eastern Alameda county, I'll bring my Glock water bottle cage and we're good to go!
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    East Bay Parks has purchased The Sunol Ridge, minus the radio and ham tower locations. It's in landbank, which means it may take decades to open.

Members who have read this thread: 0