Legal Night Riding?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Legal Night Riding?

I'd like to test out my new light - are there any areas where it is legal to ride at night, especially places with technical single track trails? I have a friend who has ridden Tamarancho at night a few times - is that legal or is it just unlikely that you'd be caught? If you did ride at say, Skeggs, at night, what are the chances that you'd get in trouble for it? Not that I'd do that, of course.

Old School

Go East Bro

Check out any of the East Bay Regional Park District (EBRPD) parks that are open until 10pm and allow mountain biking.

Briones
    Lake Chabot
    Pleasanton Ridge

There are more. These are just a few that I know have regular group rides going (once the trails firm up again). However, it's staying lighter later into the evening now, so pretty soon lights won't be needed much.

Have fun! It's a blast! and don't let the boogie man get you

Cheers~
    Joe

aka baycat
    Marin Headlands is a great place at night, lots of nightime wildlife and creepy sounds.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Henry Coe down in the Morgan/Hill Gilroy area. Plenty of technical singletrack, fireroads, opportunities to get really stupid lost and crazy amounts of wild life (some scary...some not so scary). And oh yah....creek crossings galore

I think there's a scheduled nite ride tonight:
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Nightriders/

PS - this is not a park to go it alone unless you're familiar with the trails and have a map
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    I'd like to test out my new light - are there any areas where it is legal to ride at night, especially places with technical single track trails? I have a friend who has ridden Tamarancho at night a few times - is that legal or is it just unlikely that you'd be caught? If you did ride at say, Skeggs, at night, what are the chances that you'd get in trouble for it? Not that I'd do that, of course.
    From what I heard, the odds of getting caught riding late are pretty high at Skeggs, since the ranger will just wait for you at the parking lot...

You won't find technical single track in the EBPRD (at least no legal ones), but you can ride pretty late.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    alpine road is supposedly legal at night.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    I think there's a scheduled nite ride tonight:
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Nightriders/
    Those guys don't tend to ride much technical at night, but you can try to talk them into it. I had limited success.

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    PS - this is not a park to go it alone unless you're familiar with the trails and have a map
    If you're familiar with the trails, why do you need a map? 8^)

Like I tell the docents when they try to sell me a map, "If I need one, I'll scratch it out in the dirt with a stick."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    From what I heard, the odds of getting caught riding late are pretty high at Skeggs, since the ranger will just wait for you at the parking lot...

You won't find technical single track in the EBPRD (at least no legal ones), but you can ride pretty late.
    Of course your chances of getting caught riding technical single track in a park that has legal night riding is very low. That's the rumor I have heard anyway.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    Of course your chances of getting caught riding technical single track in a park that has legal night riding is very low. That's the rumor I have heard anyway.
    Depends what park... I used to ride Chabot quite a bit after work, and I remember seeing the trail nazis, oops, I meant the hiker patrols walking into the park around 8pm to do their round as I was close to finishing my loop. I was nice and never ran them over either.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Members who have read this thread: 0