Late notice for an early ride tomorrow (Santa Teresa)- Mtbr.com
    Paper or plastic?

Late notice for an early ride tomorrow (Santa Teresa)

BigLarry agreed to show me around Santa Teresa and Quicksilver tomorrow. We're planning on 20ish miles and 2500'.

Any slow rider is welcome.

Meeting point is Harry and Camden. Riding starts at 8:30am. http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ad...w=1&name=&qty=
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Silence! I kill you!
    Aww, wish I could make it, but I've already got plans Have fun and post a trail condition report since I might be heading out to those areas on Tues afternoon on my SS
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    Aww, wish I could make it, but I've already got plans Have fun and post a trail condition report since I might be heading out to those areas on Tues afternoon on my SS
    We went up to Coyote Peak, down Rocky ridge, and then to Stiles. After we got down with ST, we went for a quick loop up and down Almaden. We hit a few nasty mud patches that we had to walk, but 95% of the trails were dry. Overall, Larry designed a great ride route. We did about 17 miles and 2300' of climbing in perfect weather. Pics to come later.

I have never been to ST before so I can't compare the before and after trail sanitization, but I've noticed that they dug pretty deep rain gullies (probably up to 6") which border on being dangerous in places if coming down at speed.

Silence! I kill you!
    Are the rain gullies on the Coyote Peak fireroad? If so thats where they normally do them. I'm definatly planning on being there Tues, time just depends on what time I get out of class.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Slowest Rider

Santa Teresa / Quicksilver Conditions

The gullies J-C is talking about were the newly created ones on Stile Ranch. Some are deep and have big berms on the other side. It's odd they cut the rocks smooth to a few inches, yet make these bigger dirt berms for drainage.

The Coyote Peak fire road, Hidden Springs, etc are fully dry. Rocky Ridge was completely dry, except for some short very muddy patches near the bottom couple switchbacks. A bad wet patch was also hiked through on the Stile Ranch where the log drop used to be. All in all, very ridable and only a little mud.

Quicksilver just opened on Saturday. The Virl Norton trail over by Mockingbird had a super muddy hill climb, but otherwise the conditions were great. Actually, the dirt road from Mockingbird used to be a nasty slippery steep climb. Now it's got some growth that helped stabilize the road.
    Last edited by BigLarry; 04-23-2006 at 08:27 PM.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Slowest Rider

A Two-Park Ride

Today's two-park loop was sort of fun. Very different parks but both fun.

Maybe I'll plan a bigger two-park loop with 15 miles or so in each. An A/B/C ride could be made with choice to do one park, or the other, or both back to back.

The Harry Rd. entrance to Santa Teresa and Mockingbird entrance to Quicksilver are within a block of each other, so if one parks on Harry, it makes a great mid-ride rendezvous. Note that Mockingbird Rd = Harry Rd - the name changes as it crossed Old Almaden Rd.

Slowest Rider

Zorg on Rocky Ridge

Here's my only picture. Going minimal on this local ride. Even dumped everything out of my camelback but half-water, bike tool, map and camera.

Rocky Ridge was great and made me realize how much Stile Ranch had been sanitized. Let's not let the same happen here.

J-C descending Rocky Ridge
    Attached Images Attached Images

Paper or plastic?
    A few more pics from today:

1, 2, 3 and 4: all Larry all the time.

That was a really neat ride. I'll have to make time for a long loop. Thanks for showing me the trails.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

New question here. So tempting...

..but gotta be at work by 9. Tuesday or Thursday?? (Days off) PM me.

Silence! I kill you!
    I'm planning to be there around 3pm on tues, starting near the bottom of the Bernal Rd climb, and I'll be on my SS. Gotta be done by 6 so I can go home and get ready for the Sharks game that nite
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Members who have read this thread: 0