mtbr member

Lake Tahoe - Bears

Are they really that bad this year ?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_686618.html

pro leisure tour
    Quote Originally Posted by tacos&beer
    Are they really that bad this year ?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_686618.html
    There are bears there. However there is nothing to fear as there have been no reports of a bear actually stealing a bicycle. Zero, none, nada. No problem.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The wife and I saw 2 bears at Northstar in July.

mtbr member
    The bears are learning that the easy food is in the population centers. I've heard multiple reports about increased encounters up there this year. However, I haven't been to Tahoe hardly at all this year, and on the two short trips I took I saw no bears.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

There's just a lot more bears these days

Used to be that bear sightings were fairly rare. Now you see them all the time.

Live to Ride, Ride to Live

bicycle rider
    We were at Northstar last week. We saw a / the bear the first day. The next night he or she got into the dumpster near our condo (top of the resort) and left garbage everywhere. We had our two 9-month-old golden retrievers with us, and one got into the garbage that night when I took them out for a walk. Explosive diarrhea and vomiting and crying puppy all night for the next three days, ugh. Then about four nights later, bear tries to get into the dumpster, just banging and clanging and creaking for several hours, until security comes maybe around 3AM. It's quiet for a while, then maybe an hour later, more banging and clanging. Turns out the bear bent the corners of the bear-proof lid up, then flipped it over, trying to get to the garbage inside.

Note the bent-up corners. They weren't like that the day before.

We were up in Kings Beach over Christmas, and there were reports about a really big male bear going into cabins, fridges, cars, just raiding the place. I talked about the local bear with a Northstar security guard, and he said they've been trying to trap, sedate and move it. I mentioned the Kings Beach bear and he said "Yeah, he used to be here, and we were so glad when he moved to Kings Beach."

We had a great week up at Northstar anyway, but yeah; bears. They scared my wife too. She was talking about being scared of bears all week. That one night, circa 4AM I was just thinking about shotguns.

Morgan

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Friends of mine stopped at motel for a night and someone left fruits at the closed window. They got break in at 3:00AM but the noise they made scared bear away.
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

Ancient Chinese Secret
    Lions, and ... bikers, and bears, oh my!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Of course there are bears in the woods...

Carnage from a hungry bear last weekend at Northstar who unfortunately only scored a banana peel and empty can of Fanta.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lake Tahoe - Bears-matttruck.jpg  

mtbr member
    Parents live in Incline and bears are constantly in town. Next door neighbor had garage broken into and numerous families we know have had problems. While the population is possibly larger...they are also smarter. They have learned what a fridge looks like through a window...what a cooler looks like....etc.

One funny story was that the husband of a friend of my Mom's was watching TV and just figured the racket in the kitchen was the wife so did not go investigate. When wife came home she found the bear just chowing in kitchen...her husband watching TV about 20 feet away.
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I saw the big N* bear during a thursday night mtb race a few weeks back. It was just hanging out next to the single track looking at us. Not worried about humans at all. I then saw momma bear and three new cubs cruising across 89 right by truckee river (Yogi Bear trailhead). A huge one was right next to my work (near truckee airport) last week. I see them all of the time. Tahoma has a problem juvenile bear. Tried to get into my work truck and did not scare off very easily. Yeah bears are smart and are not as scared of humans as they once were.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I was at Donner Memorial Park last weekend and the Ranger said that the bear activity was up this year. He said that 13 bears had been euthanized so far this year in the Tahoe basin because of there interaction with humans.

Rollin 29s
    7 suspicious bears were spotted at Kings Beach on Saturday

Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

Safety Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    We were at Northstar last week. We saw a / the bear the first day. The next night he or she got into the dumpster near our condo (top of the resort) and left garbage everywhere. We had our two 9-month-old golden retrievers with us, and one got into the garbage that night when I took them out for a walk. Explosive diarrhea and vomiting and crying puppy all night for the next three days, ugh. Then about four nights later, bear tries to get into the dumpster, just banging and clanging and creaking for several hours, until security comes maybe around 3AM. It's quiet for a while, then maybe an hour later, more banging and clanging. Turns out the bear bent the corners of the bear-proof lid up, then flipped it over, trying to get to the garbage inside.

Note the bent-up corners. They weren't like that the day before.

We were up in Kings Beach over Christmas, and there were reports about a really big male bear going into cabins, fridges, cars, just raiding the place. I talked about the local bear with a Northstar security guard, and he said they've been trying to trap, sedate and move it. I mentioned the Kings Beach bear and he said "Yeah, he used to be here, and we were so glad when he moved to Kings Beach."

We had a great week up at Northstar anyway, but yeah; bears. They scared my wife too. She was talking about being scared of bears all week. That one night, circa 4AM I was just thinking about shotguns.

Morgan
    How funny I just pulled into the Northstar parking lot about 20 minutes ago and instantly recognized those dumpsters from your photo!

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffinsj
    How funny I just pulled into the Northstar parking lot about 20 minutes ago and instantly recognized those dumpsters from your photo!
    Coyote Fork yo.

Morgan

Safety Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    Coyote Fork yo.

Morgan
    yo!

Members who have read this thread: 0