Lake Hennessy new trail info?- Mtbr.com
    Ride, Race, Live

Lake Hennessy new trail info?

Yesterday my wife and I went up to Napa to do the Moore Creek out and back, and decided after some Trail Forks research to add a loop around Lake Hennessy.
    I've never ridden over there before and let me say I loved Sam Eagle, and Old Man's beard. Right now as the grasses are still green it's really pretty riding.
    OK where Old Man's comes to an end I took what I thought was the correct route and turned left instead of right.
    There was clearly some recent trail work so I thought I was going the correct way back to shoreline trail.
    Instead we found ourselves climbing a beautiful freshly cut trail.
    We were toast at this point so gave up after a little while, and turned back down to hit the Shoreline.
    Here's my ridelog
    https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/6114984/
    If you zoom in at the end of the Old Man's Bear you can see our yellow lines that aren't on any mapped trail.

I can't find any info on this new trail.
    It looks awesome. I think it loops back to the Alta Hennessy road.
    Anyone have some info?

mtbr member
    I rode the same trails on May 3rd and the trail crews were onsite working on that trail, it looks promising.
    Mr_Mojorisen

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    There's a bit of info about it at the REMBA website under news

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Ride, Race, Live
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    Good find.
    I looked on the REMBA site for info, and didn't see anything obvious.
    I missed the news section.
    Now a map showing where this trail goes would be handy.
    I'll just have to ride it again, but this time at the start of the ride instead of the end.

I want to ride my bicycle
    Jan 2004
    This trail is envisioned to be a singletrack option that gets you most of the way to/from the parking lot so you don't have to ride the shoreline fire road back. Should be great once completed.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick-e View Post
    Yesterday my wife and I went up to Napa to do the Moore Creek out and back, and decided after some Trail Forks research to add a loop around Lake Hennessy.
    I've never ridden over there before and let me say I loved Sam Eagle, and Old Man's beard. Right now as the grasses are still green it's really pretty riding.
    OK where Old Man's comes to an end I took what I thought was the correct route and turned left instead of right.
    There was clearly some recent trail work so I thought I was going the correct way back to shoreline trail.
    Instead we found ourselves climbing a beautiful freshly cut trail.
    We were toast at this point so gave up after a little while, and turned back down to hit the Shoreline.
    Here's my ridelog
    https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/6114984/
    If you zoom in at the end of the Old Man's Bear you can see our yellow lines that aren't on any mapped trail.

I can't find any info on this new trail.
    It looks awesome. I think it loops back to the Alta Hennessy road.
    Anyone have some info?
    I went up Alta from Moore side 2 weekends ago and noticed traiwork/maintenance equipment staged up towards the top with trail blocked off with a sign so I didnt enter. I wonder if that's the top of trail you started venturing up. Was there any barricade down at the bottom or was it clearly open? Just curious.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerms View Post
    This trail is envisioned to be a singletrack option that gets you most of the way to/from the parking lot so you don't have to ride the shoreline fire road back. Should be great once completed.
    Moore Creek / Angwin is already my favorite place to ride locally. And they just keep making it better!
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickiní sweet!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    I went up Alta from Moore side 2 weekends ago and noticed traiwork/maintenance equipment staged up towards the top with trail blocked off with a sign so I didnt enter. I wonder if that's the top of trail you started venturing up. Was there any barricade down at the bottom or was it clearly open? Just curious.
    This is awesome! Can't wait to try it out. I discovered the Valentine Vista trail last fall and am really excited to go try the other trails. Still a bit of a drive from Woodland, but worth it!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolo_MTB View Post
    This is awesome! Can't wait to try it out. I discovered the Valentine Vista trail last fall and am really excited to go try the other trails. Still a bit of a drive from Woodland, but worth it!
    Yeah the VVT is great. Tests ones stamina starting out on it, finishing coming back on it, or hitting it both ways during the ride!

mtbr member
    I'm stoked that the new trail is open. The work at Hennessy has been awesome to say the least. My wife and I left on monday to ride there but the Tacoma started bucking on uphills going by Lake Beryessa and we had to turn back. P0306 - misfire on no 6 cyclinder.

My usual is to park at Moore Creek, cross to Hennessy, ride to and over the Old Man's Beard, shoreline to up alta, then Sam the Eagle and old man's beard the other way followed by Valentine Vista North to South. This new trail sounds great.

Every time I ride from Moore Creek I'm hoping to bum a ride to Angwin. If I ride out and back, I just don't have enough left to ride Angwin and get back to the truck. If you like Valentine Vista now, you should have seen it a month ago blazing with flowers!
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Hennessy was a discovery that made me quite happy! I would also like to at some point make the Angwin->Moore Creek shuttle trip.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolo_MTB View Post
    Hennessy was a discovery that made me quite happy! I would also like to at some point make the Angwin->Moore Creek shuttle trip.
    At the risk of exposure, does anyone have info on recent enforcement of Las Pasadas closure(4-5 months?)?

Several rides ago we got approached by a CalFire LEO while sitting on forest service rd just after popping out from Dan's ready to go up and loop back on 4H. Informed us Pasadas was closed off limits to all users. Had a lengthy friendly conversation and told him we were just heading back down Dans before he continued off. We finished our snack not 2 minutes later he came back up the road got us thinking we were going to disobey his order and catch us heading up to 4H anyway. So since then only done an up/back on DWR turning around just shy of the road figuring hed remember us if we ran across him again. I've extended my rides incorporating Alta/Sams/Old Mans etc now. But I've seen other riders on other social medias going up into 4H/Angwin or doing the one way shuttle down from Angwin into Moore.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

I've had no issues there at all

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post

I've had no issues there at all
    Well one of the trail builders/maintenance of Angwin/Moore also mentioned the forest closure. CalFire guy didnt give reason. He also didnt know about DWR trail or that there is a boy scout camp farther down from 4H. We just obeyed given the arsenal he had inside truck....🙄

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You may be right. I'm no expert. Bit I rode up there a fair amount this spring and had no issues

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    You may be right. I'm no expert. Bit I rode up there a fair amount this spring and had no issues

I'm right about what I heard and was told. Doesnt mean the LEO was right. Like I said didnt get a specific reason to why. It was mentioned that the "owners" (private,Corporation, Trust??) of Las Pasadas were the ones having it enforced. I use that word since it was a LEO person who gave it to us. I've heard there's ways to hit 4H by skirting around the CalFire facility up top and not drop onto road directly across from the camp but that's not addressing the "closure".

I know jilbmaster is pretty savy on the area maybe he will shine some more light on this.

mtbr member
    The way Iíve heard it explained the donor who gave the forest land to the state stipulated no access.

Riders conspicuously passing the fire station or 4H makes things difficult.

mtbr member
    This is the situation:
    LOTS of fire mitigation going on right now up here.
    A lot more riders up here linking Angwin/Moore Creek Park.
    Riding in Las Posadas State Forest is prohibited - always has been/just hasn't been enforced until now...
    Riders parking at the CalFire Angwin station - this is not allowed and really pisses them off.
    I have spoken with the new PUC Forest Manager as well as CalFire the past few days about this.

The forest is literally crawling with CalFire crews working on fire mitigation. Both in the State Forest and PUC property. More thinning, burning, tree cutting and mastication of vegetation. This will continue - it's far from over.
    Not only in the woods, but the entire town of Angwin is going through constant tree cutting. Anything near power lines is being cleared.

The problem is that Dan's Wild Ride tops out on the State Forest and is right next to the 4H.
    The 4H people do not like mt. bikers.
    I have heard from more than a few people about CalFire threatening to cite riders who are trespassing on State Forest land.

-------------------

This is not coming from me:
    Do not park anywhere near the CalFire Station.
    Entering/exiting to/from the top of DWR is illegal.
    Riding in the Las Posadas State Forest is not allowed and citations will be issued.
    This includes Full Moon Rock Trail (Vertigo).

-------------------

There is good news however.
    The Bay Area Ridge Trail and the builders of DWR as well as PUC are working together to create a route that will bypass the 4H/State Forest Land area.
    This route is on private property.
    The public easement is not yet in place.
    It will soon be legal to link Angwin/MCP.
    Not yet...

Please be patient and comply with the rules.
    The Angwin/MCP park link-up will soon be in place.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Jibmaster,

Thanks again for keeping us updated and for all your work in making these trails happen. Have yet to ride there but looking forward to it one day.

DK

Quote Originally Posted by jibmaster View Post
    This is the situation:
    Riding in Las Posadas State Forest is prohibited - always has been/just hasn't been enforced until now...
    Riders parking at the CalFire Angwin station - this is not allowed and really pisses them off.
    I have spoken with the new PUC Forest Manager as well as CalFire the past few days about this.

The forest is literally crawling with CalFire crews working on fire mitigation. Both in the State Forest and PUC property. More thinning, burning, tree cutting and mastication of vegetation. This will continue - it's far from over.
    Not only in the woods, but the entire town of Angwin is going through constant tree cutting. Anything near power lines is being cleared.

The problem is that Dan's Wild Ride tops out on the State Forest and is right next to the 4H.
    I have heard from more than a few people about CalFire threatening to cite riders who are trespassing on State Forest land.

-------------------

Riding in the Las Posadas State Forest is not allowed and citations will be issued.

-------------------

The Bay Area Ridge Trail and the builders of DWR as well as PUC are working together to create a route that will bypass the 4H/State Forest Land area.
    Not yet...

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the info!

NedwannaB
    Thanks jib. Glad we could get the beta out on this.

Ride, Race, Live
    Quote Originally Posted by jibmaster View Post
    This is the situation:

-------------------

-------------------

Not yet...

I started this thread so I get to ask dumb questions.
    If you use my ride log and zoom in on the map. DWR ends at Camp Rd which is what you guys Call 4-H.
    That thing is as wide as a freeway. You could drive a Prius on it it's so smooth.
    You're telling me we can't ride up and down a 20' dirt road?
    WTF?
    So after reading this
    Las Posadas 4-H Camp
    The 4H-ers are like the fat old white guy that yells "stay off my lawn"
    It's fine for these people to cut freeway wide dirt roads, and sing around a camp fire, but it's totally illegal to ride a bicycle on that dirt road.
    #mtbisnotacrime

NedwannaB
    Not dumb. Yep that's it. It's a forest service road. The restricted use has nothing to do with how wide it is. It could be more of a liability thing now with all the fire break mitigation going on. As jib mentioned it's been an access issue since before this latest "acquisition" I believe. 4H has been there for quite awhile. Not sure they're the property owners, just an existing entity there of. Again, jib will enlighten us.

Ride, Race, Live
    Not dumb. Yep that's it. It's a forest service road. The restricted use has nothing to do with how wide it is. It could be more of a liability thing now with all the fire break mitigation going on. As jib mentioned it's been an access issue since before this latest "acquisition" I believe. 4H has been there for quite awhile. Not sure they're the property owners, just an existing entity there of. Again, jib will enlighten us.
    Read through the link I posted
    4H is a renter. State owns the land.

Now this talk of a proper MTB trail connecting Moore Creek (also that link gives reason to why it's Moore Creek) to Angwin is awesome. I don't know if I have the legs for it, but plenty of people do.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick-e View Post
    Read through the link I posted
    4H is a renter. State owns the land.

Now this talk of a proper MTB trail connecting Moore Creek (also that link gives reason to why it's Moore Creek) to Angwin is awesome. I don't know if I have the legs for it, but plenty of people do.
    Recent outing catching some of the upper lake trails in lieu of sneaking up on that freeway of a forest road after DWR.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2323803101

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Recent outing catching some of the upper lake trails in lieu of sneaking up on that freeway of a forest road after DWR.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2323803101
    Looks like a great ride JMac.

Thanks for the good update on the closure of the 4-H road and adjacent areas Jib.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by cwix View Post
    Looks like a great ride JMac.

Thanks for the good update on the closure of the 4-H road and adjacent areas Jib.
    Hey cwix, weve missed a bunch of T day rides! :@