Lake Alpine/Bearvalley Rides?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Lake Alpine/Bear Valley Rides?

I will be going camping up at Lake Alpine end of June. Any suggestions would be great ride wise, and also recommendatins on camping spots for the whole family.
    Last edited by Guitarzan415; 06-13-2004 at 02:06 PM.

ballbuster

Check with the TROGS

Quote Originally Posted by LMays
    I will be going camping up at lake Alpine end of June. Any suggestions would be great ride wise and also recommendatins on camping spots for the whole family.
    I met the TROGS up for a Bear Valley ride about a year ago and had a total frickin blast. Great bunch of folks. I've been hooking up with them ever since.

www.trogspace.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I met the TROGS up for a Bear Valley ride about a year ago and had a total frickin blast. Great bunch of folks. I've been hooking up with them ever since.

www.trogspace.com
    Hey thanks for the info, looks great! I think Bear Valley will be a killer time. Hope to find some good trails off of the lake too.
    "L"

Ride what you want!!
    There is a lot of riding around Bear Valley, there is a bike shop there too and if you contact them they can provide maps. It's high sierra rocky loose single track. I'm usually lost when I'm back there so I'm not a good source of info but I'll look into the name of the bike shop so you can contact them for directions.

For camping I'd shoot for camping around Lake Alpine. Some of the trails go around and near the lake. I'd bet you'd need reservations so call.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Bear Valley Adventure Company

The riding around Lake Alpine is great. There is a very fun loop that goes around the lake, and it can be combined with a number of other options (I highly recommend Osborne Ridge). There's also a pretty mellow trail that connects Lake Alpine to the "town" of BV. As George mentioned, most of the trails around BV are pretty challenging, but the LA trail is not bad at all (also, AT&T to Grin and Bear It is an "intermediate" level trail - I've taken a group of teenagers on that trail without too much pain.) Paul Petersen (the owner of the BVAC) wrote a guidebook and I think they're still available at the shop (209-753-2834) which is also the gas station.

And I have to recommend BaseCamp lodge as a great place to grab a meal - there aren't many eating options in BV (Headwaters cafe is also good) and BaseCamp serves up some good food (my friends own the place, so I may be biased, but I'm always satisfied when I eat there!)

Enjoy your trip - you're sure to have a great time riding up there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustScott
    The riding around Lake Alpine is great. There is a very fun loop that goes around the lake, and it can be combined with a number of other options (I highly recommend Osborne Ridge). There's also a pretty mellow trail that connects Lake Alpine to the "town" of BV. As George mentioned, most of the trails around BV are pretty challenging, but the LA trail is not bad at all (also, AT&T to Grin and Bear It is an "intermediate" level trail - I've taken a group of teenagers on that trail without too much pain.) Paul Petersen (the owner of the BVAC) wrote a guidebook and I think they're still available at the shop (209-753-2834) which is also the gas station.

And I have to recommend BaseCamp lodge as a great place to grab a meal - there aren't many eating options in BV (Headwaters cafe is also good) and BaseCamp serves up some good food (my friends own the place, so I may be biased, but I'm always satisfied when I eat there!)

Enjoy your trip - you're sure to have a great time riding up there.
    Thanks for the info, we will make our way to BaseCamp lodge for some grub!. I skied the back side at Bear this winter,(epic day), and we came out at a gas/sporting goods station. I think this might be the place you are refering to. Hope to get some good maps and info for the trails. I will probably make a outing by myself for the more challenging rides and plan some family rides too. Sounds like you are pointing me in the right direction! My mom/dad used to take us up to this spot a long long time-ago, I don't even remember the place. I've only been back for skiing the last few years. Can't wait for this trip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

when?

When are you going up there? I'm there about one weekend a month in the summer so if I happen to be around I'd be more than happy to show you the trails.

Scott

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustScott
    When are you going up there? I'm there about one weekend a month in the summer so if I happen to be around I'd be more than happy to show you the trails.

Scott
    Looks like we will be heading up on the 24th. We will be staying through the 28th.of June.