Kirkwood Festival- Mtbr.com
    getting back into it...

New question here. Kirkwood Festival

Hey, if you're not planning on racing and just want to tool around on your bike, is the Kirkwood Festival coming up worth checking out? As a snowboarder I'm pretty devoted to Kirkwood, but I've never done the summer biking at ski resorts thing. I would probably be going midweek and it sounds like the chairs wouldn't be running, is there still plenty of terrain to check out?

mtbr member
    Check out Thunder Mtn. next to Kirkwood. There's a new trail that connects it to Kirkwood. Views are unreal.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=554416

fc
    head minion Administrator
    It's a 9-day festival and they are an mtbr sponsor. We should support this event!!

getting back into it...
    Well at this point the only day I can check it out there's no particular event scheduled (Monday 08/23), but I'm planning on going and if there are any "How did you hear about us" survey ballots I'll be sure to mark mtbr.com .

http://www.kirkwood.com/pages/events...tirefiesta.asp

http://www.teambigfoot.net/KWFest2010.htm

mtbr member

Course Marking & Such

We arrived at Kirkwood on Monday and rode the Kirkwood Challenge Cross-Country course. This is the same course that we used for last year's Kirkwood Nine to Five, BUT it has been thoroughly groomed and polished. Yeah, it's still a technically challenging course, but with far fewer loose rocks and imbeded dragon's teeth. Kirkwood Mountain Bike Center's trail crew has been busy! Fun stuff and gorgeous too.

We also checked out the new trails that we'll use for next weeks Kirkwood Nine to Five and 24 Hours of Kirkwood; the Dangberg Trail and the Roby Wolf Trail. Again, awesome and very well done. Some of you have been out here in recent weeks and have ridden these sections and then contacted us with concerns about the creek-bed crossings---fear not. They've all been either groomed to be easily passable or have had bridges put over them. Dangberg flows really well and Roby Wolf is a downhill roller coaster.

Tuesday we marked the Kirkwood Challenge Cross-Country Course. If you want to pre-ride you can access the course adjacent to the Kirkwood Mountain Bike Center---just look for the yellow arrows.

Yesterday was devoted to meeting with the management types, but today (Thursday) we're headed up the mountain to get the Super-D course ready for Friday.

PHOTO: Course marking on the Lower Corral Trail, supervised by MacGregor the wonder B.C.

http://teambigfoot.net/KWFest2010.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member

Super-D Course Mark, 24 Hour Course Inspected

Wow, what a beautiful day it was here at Kirkwood...AGAIN!.This morning I took a ride up the mountain to the top of the Super-D course with Marty from the Kirkwood Mountain Bike Center. The view from the top of Chair Two is incredible...no wonder they call that point "Vista." Up there on the ridge you're on top of the Kirkwood Valley and can see over to the next valley and down onto Caples Lake. The Lake may play into our plans for 2011. How many of you would be interested in a Kirkwood Tri-Sport Adventure...a trail run, mountain-bike and kayak race? Hmmmmm. Marty and I rode down and marked the Super-D course along the way. It's all set to go for tomorrow afternoon. Later I went out and walked a portion of next week's 24 Hours of Kirkwood & Kirkwood Nine to Five course. I spent most of the hike tossing rocks off the trail and making notes of the few sections where I'd still like to drag a McCleod before next week. The Upper Corral Trail is in full bloom with wildflowers. Kathy is a botanist so she really enjoyed our hike. And of course MacGregor, our head of ground level trail inspection, had a good time too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Festival-24kwuppercorralblog.jpg  

Kirkwood Festival-kathyuppercorralkw.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Did the XC yesterday and it was amazing. Hard course, wind, rain, hail and beautiful views (only seen before and after the race)

Thanks for the hard work.

MS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Festival-kirkwood-018.jpg  

getting back into it...
    Well, I made it to Kirkwood an hour ago. Bummed I was too late to get to the bar for a brew, but glad I bought a six-pack on the way up. Hopefully tomorrow's a good day on the trail...

mtbr member
    Hey, if you want, join us in front of the bike shop at 11am to go ride and mark the course.

Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9
    Well, I made it to Kirkwood an hour ago. Bummed I was too late to get to the bar for a brew, but glad I bought a six-pack on the way up. Hopefully tomorrow's a good day on the trail...
    "Yeah, Humboldt County is way the %#@* up there, but worth it!"

mtbr member

What a weekend!

Friday's Super-D was really fun and the riders LOVED the course! The photo below was taken from the starting line, the rider is about to swing onto the singletrack there on the left.

Saturday's Cross-Country came off well too. It was a bit windy but the riders reported that it wasn't very noticable on course since most of it is in the trees.

The weather was perfect for the Short-Track on Sunday...the gusts had subsided and the temps were in the 70s. One of the shop rats from the Kirkwood Mountain Bike Center won the wheelie contest, but he's underage so the case of Descutes Pale Ale ended up in the shop 'fridge...and big surprise...it was gone within an hour of the shop closing!

The Huffy Toss was a hit with 13 Tossers reporting to the tossing line. The Tossing Court was lined with spectators too as Kirkwood weekenders spotted the scene and just had to watch the carnage. Fun stuff!

More to come. Today we mark the 24 & 8 hour courses, tomorrow at 9am we do the Tahoe Rim Trail ride. Join us at
    Big Meadow parking lot on hwy 89. It's on the east side of the road, north of Luther Pass. Park there and get on the TRT heading southeast, your options are endless. A few locals are coming out; they know the trail well. No fee, no fuss, just fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Festival-kwsuperd1.jpg  

getting back into it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot
    Hey, if you want, join us in front of the bike shop at 11am to go ride and mark the course.
    Sounds fun, I'll likely be there, although my ride is old and my skills are pedestrian...

Super Ginger
    Feb 2008
    Me and my team are looking forwad to this race, and fun weekend!
    2017 Orbea OIZ M20
    2018 Orbea Occam AM
    2016 Orbea Orca

mtbr member
    Great race and course on Saturday. Just needed more racers! Thanks for putting it on!

Here's my write-up: http://claassenmtb.blogspot.com/2010...ce-report.html
    Husband - Dad - Bike Racer - Race Director

Clipped In Races

mtbr member
    I managed to squeeze in a couple laps on the 24 hour course Sunday. Hit the trail at noon and the temps were perfect. Don't think there will be Any worries about heat for the race. Might even be a bit cold when the sun is down. Took in last years section that has been eliminated for this year and I have to agree with the decision to re-route.

It was a Great day to ride and post beers and burger at the Inn were awesome!

getting back into it...
    Well Kirkwood was a blast today... got to (marginally) help Team Bigfoot set up the 24-hour course... a bit of a crash course re-learning what rocky singletrack is like after like 10 years, and also got a lesson on what not to do with your front break going into a loose corner... definitely sorry to be missing the upcoming organized festivities, particularly the hill climb.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Festival-race-course-prep.jpg  

Kirkwood Festival-kirkwood.jpg  

Kirkwood Festival-ouch.jpg  

mtbr member

24 Hour course is marked.

The yellow arrows await!

In contrast to the previous days, Monday was very kick-back for Team Bigfoot....no races or staff to manage...it was just me, a staple-gun, some course arrows and signs, my bike and a couple of riders to keep me company as we went out to mark the 6.1 mile course that we'll use for next Saturday & Sundays Kirkwood Nine to Five and 24 Hours of Kirkwood. It was yet another gorgeous day here in the Kirkwood Valley. Accompanied by Greg, a rider who learned about the Festival from MTBR.com and an old friend Mark Payne, we took a leisurely lap together.

Mark is someone I knew back in the 90s when I lived in Big Bear. He moved up here in about '96 and I hadn't seen him since and didn't even know that he lived here. But last week when I first arrived here in Kirkwood I was just finishing a ride when I heard a familiar voice, "Hey Vic!" It's funny how we sorta picked up our conversation where it left off fifteen years ago!

Today (Tuesday) is the Tahoe Rim Trail Ride. A couple of riders from the Alta Alpina Bicycle Club will be there to serve as the local trail experts. Jacquie Phelan arrived last night with a couple of students who'll she tutor privately today; and she'll conduct her group skills clinics on Wednesday and Thursday.

Tomorrow is the Jet Lites Night Ride, Thursday is the Minden Grillclimb in which we'll truck a nice gas-grill to the top of Chair 2, first rider to touch it owns it! Friday morning is "Take A Lap With Tinker" and then of course Saturday and Sunday are the 8 and 24 hour events. It's gonna be a great week
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Festival-viccoursemarking24.jpg  

jms
    mtbr member

Nice!

Nice Vic. What a party!

I'm kinda bummed that I'm not going to make this one. I'll see you for the next one @ Kirkwood.

mtbr member

Well...

...let's hear the lame a$$ excuse this time...

Quote Originally Posted by jms
    Nice Vic. What a party!

I'm kinda bummed that I'm not going to make this one. I'll see you for the next one @ Kirkwood.

mtbr member

Tahoe Rim Trail Ride

Wow! In my 26+ years of riding mountain bike I've had the good fortune to ride all over this big planet of ours. And I have to say that today's Tahoe Rim Trail Ride ranks in the top ten best rides of my life. The combination of technical trails, flowing singletrack and breathtaking scenery is an experience that every mountain biker should have. A big thanks to locals riders Ellen and Jim who served as ride guides.

Oh, and Mac the wonder dog (the short one with the back-pack), he spent the day hiking the Rim Trail with Kathy. He gave the Rim Trail two paws up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Festival-tahoerimtrailride2010.jpg  

jms
    mtbr member

I Miss You Too

...let's hear the lame a$$ excuse this time...
    How sweet! I know you write that with all the love in your heart, I miss you too Vic. Well, maybe not YOU, but certainly Cathy and the dog...... especially the dog. I know it's not the same, but try and be brave, I'm sure you'll find some other poor soul gasping for breath through parched, dust caked lips in the thin mountain air, to torment lap after grueling lap, with that witty repartee we share. Oh good times! I miss it already!

As for lame a$$ excuses....how about:

I've got to head home and do a little blood doping with my E. Fuentes/Operation Puerto autograph edition centrifuge before my next race. Ole! Sigh, not that it helps....I'm still slow.

Seriously, I hope it's a great weekend @ Kirkwood. Bigfoot always puts on an excellent gig, with great courses and a pleasantly "low key" atmosphere, that's very neophyte friendly. Anyone on the fence @ trying endurance racing would do well to come out for this race. And though I haven't seen or experienced it yet, I suspect Kirkwood is likely Bigfoot's most scenic and enthusiastic venue too

fc
    How sweet! I know you write that with all the love in your heart, I miss you too Vic. Well, maybe not YOU, but certainly Cathy and the dog...... especially the dog. I know it's not the same, but try and be brave, I'm sure you'll find some other poor soul gasping for breath through parched, dust caked lips in the thin mountain air, to torment lap after grueling lap, with that witty repartee we share. Oh good times! I miss it already!
    y'all need a room old chums?

fc

jms
    mtbr member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    y'all need a room old chums?

fc
    Thanks FC, errr, really, we're just you know, "friends"..........really.

Good luck this weekend @ the 8 hour too!

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    It's Gonna Be Cold This Weekend!
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member

Minden Grill Climb

What mountain biker doesn't want a nice gas grill? Heck, even the vegans among us like a grilled veggie kabob, right? So when the good folks at Minden Gas Grills wanted to sponsor a hill climb we knew we had something cool to include in the Kirkwood Mountain Bike Festival. We started the riders down in front of the Kirkwood Mountain Bike Center and sent them 2.3 miles and 1400' of elevation up the service road all the way to top of Chair #2. The rules were simple, the first one to the top owns the grill. That rider was local Robert Braun followed by 9er's Fuzzy Mylne. For Braun the Grill Climb win was a sort of redemption for his DNF in last Saturday's Kirkwood Challenge Cross-country, and as you can see here, he was sort of happy to take home a nice new BBQ grill!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Festival-mindengrillclimbwinner.jpg  

Kirkwood Festival-mindengrillclimbfuzzy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vuduvgn
    It's Gonna Be Cold This Weekend!
    The NWS forecast only gives a 40% chance of showers after 11a tomorrow and only 40% sat. night before 11p and only down to 32 for the overnight low.

fc
    What mountain biker doesn't want a nice gas grill? Heck, even the vegans among us like a grilled veggie kabob, right? So when the good folks at Minden Gas Grills wanted to sponsor a hill climb we knew we had something cool to include in the Kirkwood Mountain Bike Festival. We started the riders down in front of the Kirkwood Mountain Bike Center and sent them 2.3 miles and 1400' of elevation up the service road all the way to top of Chair #2. The rules were simple, the first one to the top owns the grill. That rider was local Robert Braun followed by 9er's Fuzzy Mylne. For Braun the Grill Climb win was a sort of redemption for his DNF in last Saturday's Kirkwood Challenge Cross-country, and as you can see here, he was sort of happy to take home a nice new BBQ grill!

Man, that guy beat Fuzzy!?

Well deserved grill!

fc

mtbr member

Kirkwood Nine to Five & 24 Hours of Kirkwood are rolling!

We had 99 8-hour rider and 50 24-hour riders roll out this morning at 9am. Tinker is leading 'em all...big surprise.....more reports and photos to come.

Bigfoot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Festival-kw24ninetofive2010-012.jpg  

Kirkwood Festival-kw24ninetofive2010-008.jpg  

Last edited by Bigfoot; 08-28-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Ride Responsibly
    We had 99 8-hour rider and 50 24-hour riders roll out this morning at 9am. Tinker is leading 'em all...big surprise.....more reports and photos to come.

Bigfoot
    Nice turnout

mtbr member

Dez has a J.O.B.

Working For The Man
    Normally Dez Wilder would be out on course...he won last year's Kirkwood Nine To Five. But this year Dez has a job taking the Cannondale Demo center around to shops and events. With Cannondale's legendary Tinker Juarez racing today Dez is working support him...keeping him fed and hydrated and his bike lubed and rolling. We're sure Dez would rather be out on course, but duty calls.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Festival-tinkerkirkwood1.jpg  

getting back into it...
    Trail rash is healing nicely... wish I was down there today!

mtbr member

Trouble!

This guy was causing problems all day. We finally had security haul him away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Festival-francescebedo.jpg  

mtbr member

Second Pro

Mike Castaldo did 9 laps in the Kirkwood Nine to Five to take second.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Festival-mtbrmikecastaldo.jpg  

mtbr member

Tahoe Luna Chix

The Tahoe Luna Chix came out to win the 2-rider Sport Women category in the Kirkwood Nine to Five.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Festival-mtbrtahoelunachix.jpg  

mtbr member

All In The Family

We don't see many kids racing in endurance races. Young Griffin Spurr raced the Nine to Five on a 4-rider team consisting of his mom and dad and brother.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Festival-mtbrgriffinspurr.jpg  

mtbr member

Fast And Single

Only the faster men did 8 or more laps in the Nine to Five. Chrissy Earnhardt did it with only one gear!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Festival-mtbrchrissyearnhardt.jpg  

Ride Responsibly
    Way to go Mike.

mtbr member

Mr. David Juarez

This old skinny guy came out and did 11 laps. He's doing the Masters World Championship in Brazil in a couple of weeks so he says he was taking it easy..."I don't want to overdo myself.," he said. Right Tink...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Festival-mtbrtinkerkirkwood.jpg  

mtbr member

Do It Yourselfer

Custom frame builder Dan Nelson rode to second in the Solo Super Master (age 50+) category on a very nicely detailed titanium frame that he done did builded hisself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Festival-mtbrdannelson.jpg  

mtbr member

Victorious Mtbr

Chris Sota teamed with Frances Cebedo in the 2-Rider Sport category. They did ten laps to take the win.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Festival-mtbrmtbr.jpg  

Uncle

Nice job, FC.

Chris Sota teamed with Frances Cebedo in the 2-Rider Sport category. They did ten laps to take the win.
    How many of those 10 laps were yours? Sorry, that's my jealousy talkin'. Looks like a fun weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Great time. challenging coarse. and good people... The coarse was almost perfect blend of climb to decent ratio... No over extended long climbs, right as you got to that I'm starting to burn point you would get a nice downhill or some rollers. Was a little dusty at times with the crazy wind and the soft soil was easily manipulated by all the riders which started making brake bumps and channeled switchbacks. But my overall impression was this is a great event that need more participants next year. 8hr is perfect for 2....

Chris

another day at the office

Fat Tire Fiesta 9 to 5 Race Photos

The good news is that Carbon7 and Francois dominated the 2-man sport category with 10 laps averaging 45 minutes per lap to take first place. But the real crusher was Tinker completing race with 11 laps - solo!

This year's course was most excellent -- great combination of singletrack, flowy descents, and enough climbing (975 feet per lap) to make it interesting but not devastating). Below are some photos from the 8 hour race. More can be found at https://picasaweb.google.com/derek.m...kwood9To5Race#

Carbon7 volunteers for the first lap
    Some pain is physical and some is mental, but one that's both is dental.

mtbr member
    Congratulations Francis & Carbon 7 ?

fc
    Right on. By last week, I wasn't sure I was going to this event. I just feel awful leaving my family these days on weekends and it turned out they couldn't go because of more baseball

But a quick conversation with Vic meant that I had to go. I needed to cover this event that we sponsor and he had a condo and race entries waiting for me. So I was just going to drive myself, ride 8 hours and go home.

But mtbr Norcal being the happnin place, I posted something on Tuesday and got a motley crew going for Friday.
    Derek aka bustamove - pit crew test driver of his gangster Ford Flex test car
    Chris aka Carbon 7 - this tngr rider hadn't raced endurance before but had an A++ attitude. It was his anniversary and he had to work but he made it happen.
    Jason Dagget aka mtbjd - he was committed and it turns out we had many beers in Downieville
    Hyland Fisher aka vuduvegan - a fast and healthy mtbr mofo
    David from Jet Lites - he said we needed to talk business at the event
    Vic - I finally meet the legendary promoter

Anyway, what a great experience. This overnight trip had me beat and feeling like I went on a 5 day trip. Kirkwood is a sweet and undiscovered place. It's a long drive from the bay area in the winter but it was surprisingly short during summer. From San Jose, we go through Jackson and cut an hour off. And from Sacramento, folks can through emigrant gap and cut 30 minutes out.

I'll do a proper write-up later but the course is awesome. Kirkwood has a lot of potential and the Kirkwood crew and Vic are committed to make it grow.

Bustamove is a good friend and kept us together and covered the event despite our zero planning

Carbon7 is a freak of nature. He is a new rider that is still finding his legs so no one including himself knows how fast he is. But the riding fire in him is burning like nobody else. He was putting in 45 minute laps on his heavy singlespeed. But then he tried a Cannondale Carbon 29er hardtail and all hell broke loose. He saw Tinker who was putting in 41 minute laps at the time and he passed him and put a gap. I think he finished the ap at 39 minutes.

Anyway, Jason and Hyland were both in the expert 8-man solo. Jason was on his first 8-hour and put in 8 fast laps to finish 4rth. Hyland was on another level and finished 10 laps and was the fast solo guy after Tinker.

Here's Hyland, Chris and Jason.

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Festival-cimg1309.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Sorry we didn't have much time to meet everyone after the race. Last year we met a bit more folks at the big BBQ after the race. My wife and I decided to do this race again this year after having such a good time last year. My wife took her SS and killed it. I think she was like second in the guys category with her laps and time. I didn't blow my sidewall this year which lead to a good race. Tinker was the only competition in the end that I couldn't even come close to matching. Tinker 11 in 7:21 me 10 in 7:31ish. I wasn't aware he was doing the 8 hour and thought he was crazy going that pace. It is still a crazy pace for 8 hours. Looks like everyone was having fun despite the chilly weather.

Denton

mtbr member
    Need more pics of the 8hr. I have not seen myself yet.

mtbr member
    Way to go Mike! The flatlander from Chico takes it to the Tahoe gang!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Oro D
    Way to go Mike! The flatlander from Chico takes it to the Tahoe gang!
    Well except for this Tahoe guy on the single speed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey Bigfoot would we be able to get our lap times at any point? Or is that not possible.

Chris

mtbr member
    They're coming. They're in a staffer's computer and she already went home. She'll e-mail 'em to me and I'll get 'em up ASAP. In the mean time the overall Kirkwood Nine to Five results are up here: http://teambigfoot.net/kirkwood%209-...sults.xlsx.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon7
    Hey Bigfoot would we be able to get our lap times at any point? Or is that not possible.

Chris

fc
    They're coming. They're in a staffer's computer and she already went home. She'll e-mail 'em to me and I'll get 'em up ASAP. In the mean time the overall Kirkwood Nine to Five results are up here: http://teambigfoot.net/kirkwood%209-...sults.xlsx.htm
    What happened in the 24 hour race. How many rode into the night and how cold was it?

fc

mtbr member

Not so bad...

Really. Yeah, it was cold. Mid 30's, but the threatened rain/snow/locusts never materialized. We had one of our 2-rider teams pack it in shortly after dark, and a few of the teams let us know that they'd be taking extended breaks during the wee hours, but for the most part the solos and teams kept going, and going, and going! Our overall solo winner Ron Johnson (photo below) did 19 laps (I think). The 24 Hour results are in a staffer's lap-top (forgot to memory stick 'em before he left). He'll e-mail 'em to me tomorrow and I'll get them posted ASAP

A couple of hours after the awards were over, the clouds rolled in and the temps dropped and some fo the chair-lift jockeys started reported flurried up high. Eventually a cold rain mixed with snow came down at village level. We awoke this morning to a veiw of a snow dusting on the upper ridges! Gorgeous

We hiked up to the top of the Sentinals (the two big rock formations on the west ridge) and later I did a couple of laps of the course. The course was prime! Tacky, no dust and a foot-wide polished line most of the way around.

More photos and a full report to come.

Bigfoot

What happened in the 24 hour race. How many rode into the night and how cold was it?

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Festival-mtbrronjohnson.jpg  

Kirkwood Festival-mtbrkwpics5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    ron was fun to ride with..thiis is cody pratt (number 1 from the 24 solo pro class) the course was great and the alltitude and super low temps and cray winds made it een more challenging. this was my first 24 hour race and all this did was confirm that i like 24 hour races. ill be back and deff learned from this experience that ill be able to use in the next 24 hour. the night laps killed me( i finally realied that at 3 am i couldnt control the bike at all).
    thanks to the bigfoot crew for the killer tough trails and the excellent race they put on..ill be back at their races again soon for revenge!

if any one has pics of me yellow plate number 1 please pass them on, id love to see them

thanks
    -cody

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeSS
    Well except for this Tahoe guy on the single speed.
    Way to go you animal!

maybe you could have done 11 with gears?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i was on the 4-man SS team (the only one, Fleche Baton) and we rode on thru the night. i finished my #7 lap at about 7:50a. this was my first 24 as well and i had a good time. can't wait to see more pics from the event. i saw (the bigfoot guy i think) taking pictures in the meadow on one of my early laps.

fc
    I have a few more photos here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/fcebedo/...eat=directlink

fc

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    those look like they were all near the front. not where i was on the opening lap!

mtbr member
    hahaha Very Funny Kranz!

And what was your average lap time for the 7 laps you finished?

Quote Originally Posted by Kranz
    those look like they were all near the front. not where i was on the opening lap!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranz
    Yeah the start was pretty rough for us one speeders. I was way spun out and spent the first lap trying to pass all of the slower geared guys once we started to climb and hit the single track. Not one of my favorite starts to a race.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yeah the start was pretty rough for us one speeders. I was way spun out and spent the first lap trying to pass all of the slower geared guys once we started to climb and hit the single track. Not one of my favorite starts to a race.
    i didn't go too crazy knowing i had a lot of race to look forward to but i caught up to a few geared folks myself. it was my first race on a SS (i've had the bike a little less than 2 months) so i didn't really know how it'd go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yeah I felt your pain... When we took off and started going out on the road all the geared guys just took off... Lol I spun...and spun...and spun and realized hey your not going anywhere... Then I was like WTF might as well wait until the trail... Ended up sitting with a pack of SS guys until we started climbing when gears didn't matter...lol

Bigfoot any lap times yet?

Chris

mtbr member

fc
    I had a lap around midnight and another around 4:00. Hardest part was putting on cold wet gear. Once the pedaling started it was all good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

... and if we just ... Race Reprot

I'm alive. Been prepping this race report for my buddies blog. Damn that was fun. Wish I could have kept up with TahoeSS, props!

http://blog.tahoemountainsports.com/?p=1486

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gobikingintahoe
    I'm alive. Been prepping this race report for my buddies blog. Damn that was fun. Wish I could have kept up with TahoeSS, props!

http://blog.tahoemountainsports.com/?p=1486
    Cool report. Should write for the mags. Your video coverage is rather short. It was exceptionally clear though.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Oro D
    Way to go you animal!

maybe you could have done 11 with gears?
    Yeah there were some good longer sections where I was just spun out on the flats loosing lots of time. I also have a lung infection so I was not recovering much after hard efforts. Thought I was going to get 11 but had to take a rest for a bit or else I wasn't going to finish the race. Gotta love long distance races. Part fitness, part luck, and lots of tactics.

Denton

fc
    what do you guys look like? Post a photo.

fc

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Only the faster men did 8 or more laps in the Nine to Five. Chrissy Earnhardt did it with only one gear!
    Isn't she up in Truckee these days? Nothing like being able to ride/train at altitude w/ a SS!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi
    Isn't she up in Truckee these days? Nothing like being able to ride/train at altitude w/ a SS!
    Yeah we moved to Truckee in 2007 from San Diego. I kept nagging her to ride the blinglespeed I built her and this year she finally did it almost exclusively.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    what do you guys look like? Post a photo.

fc
    You have a pic of me at the starting line with the Salsa Jersey on and white helmet. I am right next to Blake who is wearing the Kirkwood Jersey. I was riding a red Intense Spider singlespeed.

mtbr member
    I've uploaded all 100 of my photos here: https://s1194.photobucket.com/albums...August%202010/
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by Bigfoot; 09-06-2010 at 09:16 AM.

mtbr member

Kirkwood Nine to Five lap times

http://teambigfoot.net/kirkwood%209-...heets.xlsx.htm

Quote Originally Posted by WaitWienie
    Yeah I felt your pain... When we took off and started going out on the road all the geared guys just took off... Lol I spun...and spun...and spun and realized hey your not going anywhere... Then I was like WTF might as well wait until the trail... Ended up sitting with a pack of SS guys until we started climbing when gears didn't matter...lol

Bigfoot any lap times yet?

Chris
    Last edited by Bigfoot; 09-06-2010 at 03:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

more vids if you must

here is all the "raw video" . I'd boil it down if I wasn't on the bike so much, maybe a winter project!

http://contour.com/user/46286

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Who else was out there taking pics? I saw more than just Vic.

Danke schoen.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vuduvgn
    Who else was out there taking pics? I saw more than just Vic.

Danke schoen.
    i saw someone early on taking some. i didn't have any in the vic group.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    who won the SUPER D?

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Bump..

mtbr member

Kirkwood Nine to Five #2, Sept. 18

http://teambigfoot.net/KW9to52010Two.htm

Here's another chance for endurance racers to enjoy Kirkwood's beautiful and challenging racing. For this one we're going back to the tough, 5.1 mile technical version that so many riders loved at last year's Kirkwood Nine to Five. Team Bigfoot's course crew will arrive early and will spend a few days on the Red Cliffs trail getting it groomed.

WHERE IS IT? Kirkwood is located 30 miles from Tahoe and has a great course network for trail cross-country ski trails that when the snow is gone, make a great all singletrack mountain bike course! As you can see by the photos above the terrain is beautiful!

WHERE CAN WE STAY? The resort has a full range of accommodations; condos, hotels, cabins and campgrounds. Camping is available right across the road from the venue.

HOW DOES AN ENDURANCE RACE WORK? It's simple, ride as many laps as you can between the start and the finish. This one starts at 9am and goes until 5pm, only laps COMPLETED by 5pm will count. In the event of a tie whoever completed that final lap first takes it. For teams only one rider can be on the course at a time and rider changes can take place anywhere but the timing table at the finish line. Teams are free to rotate riders however they wish, there are no minimum number of laps per rider, you can do one lap at a time, two at a time or whatever you want. Simple, eh?

Here's some helmet-cam footage shot last month on the Upper Corral Trail, which is also being used for this month's course.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Festival-mtbrdannelson.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bigfoot; 09-09-2010 at 05:38 PM.

jms
    mtbr member

You're getting soft

Team Bigfoot's course crew will arrive early and will spend a few days on the Red Cliffs trail raking out the loose sections and picking off the loose rocks.
    Cool! Have you gone and taught the dog how to use a rake? LOL, seems you're getting soft in your old age Twinkletoes, in years past, you'd have been shoveling more rocks into those sections.

See ya there

mtbr member
    Well, we ARE going to sharpen the pungi sticks down in the gap jump...

Cool! Have you gone and taught the dog how to use a rake? LOL, seems you're getting soft in your old age Twinkletoes, in years past, you'd have been shoveling more rocks into those sections.

See ya there

mtbr member
    Dang.. I was ahead of him till that last lap he busted out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daggert
    Dang.. I was ahead of him till that last lap he busted out.
    You've got another chance on the 18th....http://www.teambigfoot.net/KW9to52010Two.htm

Members who have read this thread: 0