Kid (5-year-old) Friendly Shuttle Rides in North Tahoe?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Kid (5-year-old) Friendly Shuttle Rides in North Tahoe?

I've been taking my girlfriend's 5-year old son out for a fun 5-mile "DH" shuttle run near our place in Truckee (Sweetness>NRA>Alder Creek, for those that know the TD trails).

He's ripping it, and has improved a lot at the Truckee bike park too. Now we're looking for a bigger and steeper shuttle.

Anyone have any good suggestions? Can do it with e-bike tow, or we could use two cars depending on the route.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Have you taken him up Emigrant Trail? Its not a DH run by any means but I've done that with my kid at various ages over the years. Since its an out n back, you can just turn around. We used the side option to mess around in the water at various points depending on interest. From the family perspective, the wife dropped us off at the trail head across the bridge past Klondike Flat Rd., she went down to Truckee for a couple hours. Then we'd go to lunch.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I don't know what a 5 year can handle, and I haven't been on this trail lately, but...

What about Donner Lake Rim Trail?
    You could shuttle that from Donner Summit or from Tahoe Donner with the ride ending at the Donner Lake exit on I-80.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by wg View Post
    Have you taken him up Emigrant Trail? Its not a DH run by any means but I've done that with my kid at various ages over the years. Since its an out n back, you can just turn around. We used the side option to mess around in the water at various points depending on interest. From the family perspective, the wife dropped us off at the trail head across the bridge past Klondike Flat Rd., she went down to Truckee for a couple hours. Then we'd go to lunch.
    Yeah, Emigrant is great--the section along Alder Creek is part of our shuttle-run. We take it from Carpenter Valley Rd. to where it crosses Alder Creek Rd. That's a nice section along the river, pretty gentle down slope most of the way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    I don't know what a 5 year can handle, and I haven't been on this trail lately, but...

What about Donner Lake Rim Trail?
    You could shuttle that from Donner Summit or from Tahoe Donner with the ride ending at the Donner Lake exit on I-80.
    Donner Lake Rim Trail would be perfect, we've been thinking about that from TD. Would need to either tow him up Crazy Horse / Drifter, or probably just up Glacier way for the first run.

He could definitely ride it. Only reason I've hesitated with that is that there is some significant exposure, and some rocks that could do some damage if hit at speed. Little guy is perhaps too fearless at this point, and I'm afraid he'd be all gas no brakes and wreck himself.

We will definitely give it a shot at some point this summer though! Great suggestion!

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrwin View Post
    Donner Lake Rim Trail would be perfect, we've been thinking about that from TD. Would need to either tow him up Crazy Horse / Drifter, or probably just up Glacier way for the first run.

He could definitely ride it. Only reason I've hesitated with that is that there is some significant exposure, and some rocks that could do some damage if hit at speed. Little guy is perhaps too fearless at this point, and I'm afraid he'd be all gas no brakes and wreck himself.

We will definitely give it a shot at some point this summer though! Great suggestion!
    I don't know if I would trust a 5yo on a trail with some good exposure in places. If you do, you could always ride up from Glacier and then take the new DLRT extension back down to Northwood. There's that ripping section over the lake that you have to contend with though.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Ended up doing Incline Village Flume. Parked on Mt. Rose Highway, and road south. Super scenic and very mellow mostly.

Until we got to Tunnel Creek Rd, which drops about 1,700 ft. in 2.5 miles. For the most part it's wide and sandy, with big banked turns so no real danger. Thank god too, cause kid ripped it almost top to bottom at top speed and would not stop. Thought his brakes might have failed. Apologies to any pedestrians who had to get out of the way.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    There's a bit of a climb at the beginning but the Tamarack Lake Trail might be a good one.
    You can take it all the way to Sky Tavern pretty easy and then there's other options of varying difficulty below there too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrwin View Post
    Thank god too, cause kid ripped it almost top to bottom at top speed and would not stop. Thought his brakes might have failed. Apologies to any pedestrians who had to get out of the way.
    At that age there's little difference between a kid and an excited golden retriever

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    There's a bit of a climb at the beginning but the Tamarack Lake Trail might be a good one.
    You can take it all the way to Sky Tavern pretty easy and then there's other options of varying difficulty below there too.
    That looks awesome, and looks to be a very easy shuttle. Will try that out for sure! Maybe may later this summer could add on TRT Tahoe Meadows to Tunnel Creek Rd. Have you ridden that section? Doable, from north to south, or too much climbing?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Tahoe Woodward or Boreal is opening the lifts at their bike park this weekend. They have three mountain bike trails about a 150-200 feet of descent. I am thinking about checking it out with my five year old.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the.vault View Post
    Tahoe Woodward or Boreal is opening the lifts at their bike park this weekend. They have three mountain bike trails about a 150-200 feet of descent. I am thinking about checking it out with my five year old.
    Definitely Recommend Woodward. Took my (then 7 year old) last year. We really just stuck to the easiest trail, but it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by the.vault View Post
    Have you taken him up Emigrant Trail
    There is a (very gradual) down hill section along Alder Creek starting at the Tahoe Donner campground. That can be shuttled.

Also, I recommend getting a ToWhee. The air is pretty thin up there and even small hills can challenge little kids. You'll be able to tackle more if you can pull him up with you. I've used with my son a bunch.

There is also a section of the Tahoe Rim trail that starts in Tahoe Donner that goes from a fire road of Glacier way to Northwoods Blvd. This is also pretty mellow and shuttle-able. But there are sections where you'd probably want to use a ToWhee

Here's a link to the Tahoe Donner Trail system. The Emigrant trail is on the upper right below the legend. The Rim Trail section I mentioned starts goes along the bottom. You'd start by going down at the Glacier Way fireroad to the Rim trail and end up at Northwoods Blvd.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DANNER View Post
    Definitely Recommend Woodward. Took my (then 7 year old) last year. We really just stuck to the easiest trail, but it was great.

There is a (very gradual) down hill section along Alder Creek starting at the Tahoe Donner campground. That can be shuttled.

Also, I recommend getting a ToWhee. The air is pretty thin up there and even small hills can challenge little kids. You'll be able to tackle more if you can pull him up with you. I've used with my son a bunch.

There is also a section of the Tahoe Rim trail that starts in Tahoe Donner that goes from a fire road of Glacier way to Northwoods Blvd. This is also pretty mellow and shuttle-able. But there are sections where you'd probably want to use a ToWhee

Here's a link to the Tahoe Donner Trail system. The Emigrant trail is on the upper right below the legend. The Rim Trail section I mentioned starts goes along the bottom. You'd start by going down at the Glacier Way fireroad to the Rim trail and end up at Northwoods Blvd.
    Will check out Boreal/Woodward for sure. Had no idea they had a park. Good suggestion!

I'm pretty familiar with the TD Trail System, we live on Hillside Dr. The Alder Creek section of Emmigrant is part of our daily ride with the little guy. Sweetness > NRA > Emmigrant (Alder Creek).

This weekend I'm doing Dville and I ain't taking the little guy, but next week we'll do DLRT all the way from the top of Drifter. And I will definitely be using our ToWhee to pull him up to the top!