Kennedy Sunday Sunday Sunday- Mtbr.com
    Puro Vida!

Kennedy Sunday Sunday Sunday

Looks like I may only have time for one ride again this week-so want to make it count. I think Leopold and I so far-anyone else want to join-come on down! Thinking up Kennedy-Dogmeat-Power Poles. Open to change and thinking around 9 am.

mtbr member
    You guys do know that's Father's Day, right? Also, looking to be in the 90s (though 9am should be pretty damn good...it's the noon part that scares me). I'm just being jealous.
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member

Nice early week call !

Gentle rolling inclines with some downhill ... Entertainment galore "BONUS" with the likes of you two. What's not to love ? I am most certainly ......."IN"
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have to work

I'll probably go down to Santa Cruz to visit my parents, and I'll hit Wilder while I'm down there.

Wēk SŰs
    maybe, i want to get in a zone 2 minimum 50mi road/bike path ride some time this weekend, too early to commit right now. I have to say, though, going up to Mt. Um would be more appealing than the lollipop. Just saying.

and it's going to be fricken 90 degrees again, and kennedy is like a crucible!

Puro Vida!
    Kennedy can be a short or long ride-since it is Father's day-i want to earn my BBQ chicken. Thus a medium but ugly ride. You have to have a love/hate relationship with kennedy-it's like having a ugly dog!

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I love riding on boring fireroads. Count me in! Rode this the other day, my ass is still in pain from the seated climbing madness:
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I love riding on boring fireroads. Count me in! Rode this the other day, my ass is still in pain from the seated climbing madness:
    Oh boy.... its a party now! You still da man L.P. ! What sort of Fathers Day torture do you have in mind? I will try to bring plenty of water and my A game.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I still have my Demo triple crown to get in. It's a goal I have this month.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

rho
    Life is strange
    Sounds amusing, but i think ill do a road ride instead... riding over the hill to SC sounds like it'll be the ticket!

Sent by smoke signal

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    Sounds amusing, but i think ill do a road ride instead... riding over the hill to SC sounds like it'll be the ticket!

Sent by smoke signal
    Your CX bike is perfect for riding at Sierra Azul.

rho
    Life is strange
    Your CX bike is perfect for riding at Sierra Azul.
    I've thought about it. El Sereno is tough on the CX bike. lots of standing. I'm getting better at the standing climbing thing... the heart and lungs can take it, just the legs need more ooomph to do it. but srsly I'm thinking riding to to SC is the way to go.... Cooler, shade and stuff. ocean at the end... burritos... shade and stuff on the ride back.

None of this frying on a fire road in the hot sun crap!

Puro Vida!
    Supposed to be HOT Saturday-Sunday only high 80's. Crazy weather-hot then cool then fog then nice then rain. I may even wear one of those fancy silver aluminum foil suits to help sweat the fat out!

mtbr member

One more

LG Man might make the ride with us. I went lookin for more SS'ers in the SS forum but no responses yet. http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/k...os-795126.html

ask
    user
    I may be out there Sunday morning... but I'll be towing 2 boys in the trailer for our father's day ride. If you see me, be sure to heckle me for using my granny gear as you blow by me.

We may also opt for a Quicksilver loop or Aptos to Demo loop if it is too hot and/or I am too tired. So far this week I have climbed Dogmeat, 2x loops @ Demo and I'm headed to Skeggs for a few runs tonight. Might be too burned out by Sunday for a Kennedy trailer towing suffer session.

rho
    Life is strange
    Might do a roadie ride. Might do a cx ride somewhere. Might do this. No idea what ill do yet, though.

Sent by smoke signal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    Might do a roadie ride. Might do a cx ride somewhere. Might do this. No idea what ill do yet, though.

Sent by smoke signal
    Come out for this ... then we can both say we dropped "ask" like a bad habbit to the top of Kennedy! ... once

rho
    Life is strange
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    Come out for this ... then we can both say we dropped "ask" like a bad habbit to the top of Kennedy! ... once
    OK. Its looking more like I want to punish my self riding up that stupid hill.

This thread should be renamed the fathers day suffer fest or something along those lines.

Maybe sweet bliss in pain... or... Finding sanity through climbing. a self help guide for all fathers in several easy steps!

Puro Vida!
    It's the opposite of those guys who run into the freezing water in Alaska or some cold place like it-btw seems Ill be the slowest one here so far-oh my! Well someone has to be last-maybe I need to start Team Slowly but Surely-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    It's the opposite of those guys who run into the freezing water in Alaska or some cold place like it-btw seems Ill be the slowest one here so far-oh my! Well someone has to be last-maybe I need to start Team Slowly but Surely-
    No problem man. I have always been a big fan of what I call "cheater training" ... when faster riders go ahead for a bit and then come back to hang with the slower riders. Re doing a few Kennedy hills builds character !

mtbr member
    I made it to the tree today but the heat sapped every ounce of energy out of me...dirt should be super tacky tonight with all the sweat I dropped on the climb. naptime

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    I made it to the tree today but the heat sapped every ounce of energy out of me...dirt should be super tacky tonight with all the sweat I dropped on the climb. naptime
    Nice ! I am gonna pre ride Kennedy tomorrow morning to get familiar with the course. Easy spin on the Klein just to the top. Hoping to at least podium on Fathers Day in the SS Dinosaur division. You gonna surprise us on Sunday Squashyo ?

rho
    Life is strange
    Soooo who thinks 8am is a far more reasonable hour to do something like this instead of 9?
    Due mostly to heat issues and whatnot...

Puro Vida!
    I'm good with 8

Puro Vida!
    I'm going to die-so it doesn't matter what time-

mtbr member
    LP has road travel to do and kids to deal with early right? Today is the hot one also with 86 as the high for tomorrow. You guys can decide but I prefer 9 ish. LG Man and I are hitting it today @ 9 30 just for a run to the intersection.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    8 or 9 is fine by me; letís all agree on a time and stick with it.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    LP has road travel to do and kids to deal with early right? Today is the hot one also with 86 as the high for tomorrow. You guys can decide but I prefer 9 ish. LG Man and I are hitting it today @ 9 30 just for a run to the intersection.
    Found out on Friday that today is the day where my all-day culinary assistance is needed rather than Sunday, so tomorrow I have no time constraints.

Oh, and Iíll be bringing the new bike tomorrow.

Puro Vida!
    Maybe you all should start at 9 and I'll start at 8-I'm sure you'll catch up to me eitherway-
    Maybe we should compromise-8:30?

rho
    Life is strange
    Found out on Friday that today is the day where my all-day culinary assistance is needed rather than Sunday, so tomorrow I have no time constraints.

Oh, and Iíll be bringing the new bike tomorrow.
    wheee new bike! congrats!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I can make it if its 8, but I'm sure as hell not a father.

Wēk SŰs
    You can start calling Brett a weight weenie now, when he shows up with a suspension bike under 27lbs and skinny tires.

I feel sorry for Robert.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbacon View Post
    I can make it if its 8, but I'm sure as hell not a father.
    Are you sure??? I am going to make it out I think. The heat will beat the hammer out of me so this might be a slow ride. Also need to claim my beer at the top.
    They never made the "Slowster"

rho
    Life is strange
    Thinking about the CX bike for this. (also don't have time to pick up the MTB from the parents house....)
    who else wants in on the pain train?

mtbr member
    Just got back from a quick run up Kennedy to the helipad with L G Man. We started at 9:30. Pretty hot but the breeze kept it OK as we got higher. I will be OK with the time you guys decide on. No L G Man tamale just me and the Lynskey. Took the Klein today. Kennedy Sunday Sunday Sunday-0616121055.jpg

Puro Vida!
    I feel sorry for me too! Come on Holland-you can make this ride-

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    Are you sure??? I am going to make it out I think. The heat will beat the hammer out of me so this might be a slow ride. Also need to claim my beer at the top.
    I work from 1030 -730. Only time I'll be able to make it. At my folks switching bikes out. haha.

Wēk SŰs
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    I feel sorry for me too! Come on Holland-you can make this ride-
    Not sure, Robert. I'm pooped from my ride yesterday and my neck is stiff. I haven't ridden stretched out for a long ride that my body is rejecting it.

Puro Vida!
    Ok so what time??? Id like to be done by 12-1230.

rho
    Life is strange
    I think i'm going to try to be at kennedy and the fire road trailhead by 9.... SLeeeep aint happening for me soon and i'll be riding out there. and mr mantee man, you should make it out!

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    OK, 9:00AM it is.

Tubeless my ass. Putting a tube in the front since it just refuses to seal up. MotherF*&^((*$&!!!!! Will be bringing a spare tube with me as well. WTF is the point of ďtubelessĒ anyhow.

Oh, and thanks Newton for the voicemail you left me regarding getting them working. Bummer is that the front just wonít seal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Tubeless is amazing. Best way to seat them is to use a schrader adapter and use the pump at the gas station.

I just finished reassembling the bike. See ya at 8, cause I work at 1030, so 9 is too late. buh bye.

mtbr member
    OK, 9:00AM it is. Sounds good LP. It is gonna be so much cooler today.

Wēk SŰs
    OK, 9:00AM it is.

Tubeless my ass. Putting a tube in the front since it just refuses to seal up. MotherF*&^((*$&!!!!! Will be bringing a spare tube with me as well. WTF is the point of ďtubelessĒ anyhow.

Oh, and thanks Newton for the voicemail you left me regarding getting them working. Bummer is that the front just wonít seal.
    Seal or seat? Seal as in leaking, seat as in the inflating and getting the "pops" onto the bead lock.

I can seat with a floor pump, but I do have a compressor. Feel free to swing by if you need to.

Sealing, forget that soapy water nonsense. I use it to seat the bead and then check for leaks. After that, ignore it. I find it dissolves the stuff. Shake around the rim, roll it in midair so that the fluid flows onto the beads, shake around the rim again, and lay it flat on a side. Go back 30 minutes later, do it again, and start increasing the time intervals. You may need to pump it back up between each interval. I use max pressure of the rim (40 psi). I can show you later how I do it. I've done it on BST rims and ghetto.

I also find going for a ride helps it seal too. But that's using regular tires. Tubeless tires aren't that holey.

Puro Vida!
    I'm running late-start without me-ill be there around 930

Is this thing on?
    LP what tires are you using? Some seem to take forever. My front Racing Ralph. Took about 3 days of the shake and bake before it sealed. And now it still loses air sometimes. Now that you are a weight weenie, you will lose tubeless.

To bad I missed this ride. My last ride up was in the pouring rain. It would have been fun to switch it up and ride in the blazing sun. Have fun boys!

rho
    Life is strange
    Going up that stupid road on the stupidcross bike was one of the harder things I've ever done on a bike.

I think ancient rascal's wunder bike would have been much easier. ow ow ow ow.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Sorry I missed you all today. I hate having my plans hijacked by others. Did some social event for my wife last night and got home at almost 1:00AM, of course, meaning that I did not get much sleep. Felt like crap this morning. I should have just stayed home by myself yesterday evening instead.

mtbr member
    Sorry I missed you all today. I hate having my plans hijacked by others. Did some social event for my wife last night and got home at almost 1:00AM, of course, meaning that I did not get much sleep. Felt like crap this morning. I should have just stayed home by myself yesterday evening instead.
    So much for my ....... I'll go first LP ..... wtf post ! No problem LP .. but man I was surprised to see motorbacon out there and totally blown away by "ask" and his performance of the day .... hauling his kids up to the false summit. OMFG that had to hurt. Cool to finally meet more mtbr folks and a good but very taxing ride for me. Almost puked on the ugly sisters today! The run to the intersection 4.1 miler was all I had so I would not have hung with you anyway LP ! Thanks for getting us all out there Nelson34 !

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Brett, excuses, they're lame. I got home at 1:30. Assembled my bike. Crashed out at 3:30. Woke up. Rode to the tree, rode to the bottom, met with some old guys and rode back to the tree and then back down. Now I'm at work. Boooooooooooo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbacon View Post
    Brett, excuses, they're lame. I got home at 1:30. Assembled my bike. Crashed out at 3:30. Woke up. Rode to the tree, rode to the bottom, met with some old guys and rode back to the tree and then back down. Now I'm at work. Boooooooooooo.
    Yeah but don't forget if LP was there it just would have been one more old guy on ur list !

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    True. Lots of old guys. OLD GUYS EVERYWHERE.

Good meeting ya, Rascal. You make singlespeeding up look easy.

mtbr member
    Ancient Rascal is amazing! He makes it up the walls of kennedy every time. Think he has lost count but I watched him come up and he is smooth. It actually felt great to go so slow on kennedy. I tried to keep my HR down and i never once huffed or puffed until the walls at the end. Good to ride with the boys today and I was surprised how many dads were out riding. Not just our group but a bunch of groups. Great to finally meet Ask in person. Guy gets extra kudos for hauling his boys up in the trailer. They seemed to be having fun and super cute little dudes. The heat was there but not as bad as yesterday. Great ride and hope to see you all again soon. Motorbacon, you were there? I don't remember seeing you . Kidding he actually made it up no problem to the tree. Rho was suffering that poor bastid! Note to crazy people, choose your gear carefully so that you don't want to hang yourself at the top. I also got my beer too!
    They never made the "Slowster"

ask
    user

Happy Father's Day

Really good to meet up with some more MTBRs today... Great chatting and riding with you all today. Heat wasn't too bad... but I think I have consumed about 4 water bottles since the ride. That is on top of my pre-ride bottle and the GuBrew bottle I drank during the climb with these 2 knuckleheads:

(Cookie break on the way back down from false top.)

No PRs today. 43 minutes to the tree including a short stop near the beginning to change playlists... 1:11 to the false top. Gotta love that granny gear Same time/place next year?

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there. I think it is Pliny and BBQ time.

ask
    user
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    ...Great to finally meet Ask in person. Guy gets extra kudos for hauling his boys up in the trailer. They seemed to be having fun and super cute little dudes...
    Thanks Paul... great to finally meet you too. We gotta get in some rides (when I am not towing the bambinos).

Rascal - Great chatting with you on the way back down the hill... you are the man for doing that climb (SS) 2 days in a row, especially with the temps yesterday. I think you've got me inspired to attempt Dogmeat climb on my SS. Just need to setup an easier gearing and some more meat on my back tire. We'll see.

Motorbacon and Rho - You guys both on Cross bikes? Climbing Kennedy on cross bikes. Now that is nuts (IMHO)! I must have been completely zoned out because I don't remember seeing Motorbacon come back down the trail.

Nelson - Good to see you at the top. Glad you made it out. Hope to ride with you again sometime soon.

Porkstacker... fail. LOL! Missed you out there man. Although an F-Bomb session between you and Rascal might not be the best thing for my kids to hear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    ask, I was on the 29er. I had to bail after hitting the tree, for the second time, because of work. I may have, positively did, blast by you on my way back down.

F-Bomb session. Hah.

It was actually cooler on the second trip up around 9:30. The 8:45 trip was warmer due to no breeze. Sheesh.

mtbr member

Good call !

Same time/place next year? -ask It can be Nelson's 2nd annual Fathers Day Kennedy run. Which comes after the 3rd annual Dogmeat challenge and the 2nd annual 20-40 under deal. If I don't start pushing myself away from the dinner table...I won't be posting in a few of those threads. November will be here soon. SS only for ask... ancient... pmarshall and lilysdad on the Dogmeat challeng eh ? Way too much coffee today sorry !

rho
    Life is strange
    The cross bike ride up was full of pain and suffering.
    If I had a 28 or 30 on the back and a not 36 little ring up front I could have spun up a lot and saved my legs for the steeper bits instead of suffering the whole way and walking a bunch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Oh yeah, forgot. Happy Father's Day you bums!

-Can we make an annual Not a father Father's Day ride too?

Snowjnky McDreamy
    The fact that you all have 3 pages of stoke for a f'n Kennedy ride is unbelievable. props I guess.
    as for some of us we went to Mecca aka UCSC for our fathers day treat accompanied by Burger apres ride.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Wēk SŰs
    you guys are nuts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    The fact that you all have 3 pages of stoke for a f'n Kennedy ride is unbelievable. props I guess.
    as for some of us we went to Mecca aka UCSC for our fathers day treat accompanied by Burger apres ride.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure.

mtbr member
    The ride was short but all about the company. Plus we all came out to see what LP was gonna say next!

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    One man's trash is another man's treasure.
    I know!!! Just Impressed. hey what ever get you riding
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Puro Vida!
    I have to say I was suprised when I woke up and saw how big this thread had gotten! Maybe we can all share why we like Kennedy so much-I can remember riding Kennedy about 15-20 years ago-when I rode more often-I thought that was what mt. Biking was all about-then I took WAY too many years off and was introduced to SC about 4 years ago for the first time-I'll admit Kennedy is no SC, but im working on trying to get my fitness back up and nothing like Kennedy-it's close by, it's a quick, grueling ride and I've just grown to like/hate it-just like people like Santa Teresa and climbing Stiles or Rocky Ridge. I'm hoping to cut my time way down-i take over an hour to climb to the top getting stuck at the second wall-want to be under a hour and make it to the top no stops-

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Really bummed out I missed out on all the fun. Sucks having someone else commandeer my schedule such that the outcome is complete suckage and fail. Marriage will do that though.

mtbr member
    Yes! I, too, am also very regretful that I fell in love, got married, and had two kids. They are always being so selfish and disrespectful of my 'me' time. I feel your pain brother.

(in case my sarcasm filter has been disabled this is sarcasm)

mtbr member
    Really bummed out I missed out on all the fun. Sucks having someone else commandeer my schedule such that the outcome is complete suckage and fail. Marriage will do that though.
    None of us there were really up for a big ride anyway. We prolly had more fun hanging out waiting for you and Nelson34 than we did riding. I told myself I was gonna be bringing it but after a short tread run on Friday and an easy ride on the Klein on Saturday .... I was worn out for the Sunday ride. Sucks gettin old !

Members who have read this thread: 0