Just moved to SF from LA...any recommendations for some good rides?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Just moved to SF from LA...any recommendations for some good rides?

I am familiar with the Bay Area however I am wondering if anyone has some good recommendations for quick rides in the city after work and perhaps some ideas for longer rides outside of the city on the weekends. Any advice is appreciated.

Aug 2004

Not a lot IN SF BUT 15 min away....

Quote Originally Posted by V E E R
    I am familiar with the Bay Area however I am wondering if anyone has some good recommendations for quick rides in the city after work and perhaps some ideas for longer rides outside of the city on the weekends. Any advice is appreciated.
    Look up "China Camp State Park" for good afterwork easy ride and "Camp Tamarancho" for longer more fun weekend rides. Both 95% singletrack and lots of fun....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by V E E R
    For a nice 2-3 hour ride from the city ride over the Golden Gate Bridge and head to Marin Headlands. Since the last I heard Coastal Trail was closed, so I'll direct you another route. After crossing the bridge head north and under the freeway. About 200 yards make a left (Bunker Road) and go through the tunnel. Once you pop out the other side you're in the Marin Headlands. Go for about a mile until you see a dirt parking lot on your right, turn there and follow the fireroads up for some great views. There's one short nice single-track to be found climb Miwok to Old Springs Trail
    Here's a map of the area: http://www.nps.gov/goga/maps/pdf/map-mahe.pdf

Welcome!
    You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

-Joe Louis

mtbr member

Marin Headlands and Skeggs

When I am really pressed for time, the ride across the Golden Gate Bridge up into the Marin headlands isn't too bad. Mostly fireroads, but a ride nonetheless.

You can always park in the parking lot at Sports Basement by Crissy Field on on the far end of the bridge off Conzelman (south bound side)

I usually ride out over the bridge, up Conzelman, down McCullough, left on Bunker to the Miwok trail, then figure out a good loop from there.

Also down forget about going south to El Corte de Madera Creek OSP (AKA Skegg's Point) for some awesome trails. It's about a 40 minute drive down 280 (out Skyline) from the city. Maps here:
    http://www.openspace.org/preserves/pr_madera.asp

aka baycat
    I know a nice long weekend ride like Larry said above. GG bridge to East Peak of Tam, hit some nice, scenic coastal roads and some single track if you know where to look

Otherwise after work city rides might mean driving into Marin,

I ride in Marin regularly during the week, where I work, if you want a tour guide some time?

Ryan

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I appreciate all of your responses, I will definetely look up China Camp and do some exploration into Marin.

Baycat, before I join up for any group rides, I would like to get some mileage in before I embarrass myself (I'm way out of riding shape).

Anyhow, today's weather here in SF has put riding back in my mind after that horrible March weather, I just hope it's here to stay.

aka baycat
    VEER -

The last few times out in China Camp have been at the most a very social and intermediate 9 or 10 miles. All fitness levels are out there, just ask my friends. You should come along, look out for a ride post and join us. Def a no drop ride.

Ryan

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    Hey Veer, where exactly in the bay area are you living. There's so many rides in the general bay area.

Too Much Fun

New question here. Thats the question... Where in the area are you?

Quote Originally Posted by OhSchitt
    Hey Veer, where exactly in the bay area are you living. There's so many rides in the general bay area.
    Are you in SF proper? If you are on the northern end of the city (Richmond, Marina, Nob etc) then Marin will be closest.

If you are in a southern hood like Noe Valley, GlenPark, Mission etc then I'd say Skeggs might be your best bang for the buck. I'm lucky in that Iive in a southern hood and can jump on 280 south with ease, putting me at Skeggs within a half hour as long as traffic is flowing. I'm going to be doing regular before and after work Skeggs rides as I work in Redwood City so its on the way...
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I live in the SF financial district...a few blocks from North Beach.

aka baycat
    dont miss blondies pizza...still might have $2 beers!?!?! market and powell

Members who have read this thread: 0