June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report

What's on tap in terms of riding? For the pint glass or kegerator?

How's the poison oak?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    What's on tap in terms of riding? For the pint glass or kegerator?

How's the poison oak?
    Talking about oak, for whatever reasons, PO is almost completely absent in places it normally thrives locally. I used to think PO was unstoppable and eventually the entire surface of the earth would be covered by it, but this year gives me hope!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

Up In Smoke
    I heard some kids were doing some illegal building at Ord and added a jump line on a popular DH track. I never got to ride it and I bet they've been leveled by now. I've been mostly riding on the road lately and if you can avoid the protests it seems really quiet out there.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Talking about oak, for whatever reasons, PO is almost completely absent in places it normally thrives locally. I used to think PO was unstoppable and eventually the entire surface of the earth would be covered by it, but this year gives me hope!
    Maaan, it the worst here in the South Bay in years. I didn't wear pants due to the hot weather and I've had it on my legs for two weeks now. Constant. I have a medication so it's not a big deal. But I gotta be religious about that cleaning routine.
    IPA will save America

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Two runs this week (3.68 miles @ 8:04 pace Tuesday, 6.3 miles @ 8:03 pace today), and planning on doing a big-ish (30 - 50 miles) mixed-terrain (CX/gravel/whatever) loop con mi hombre Nelson34 sabado (maŮana), then hit up Almaden Valley mini dirt jumps and Calero trails when I visit my sons on ďSondayĒ.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Rode UC yesterday. Dirt is starting to dry out pretty good, but still not dusty yet. Great riding conditions.

There's a ~10" diameter tree down on the climb out above that sweet trail. Totally passable on foot though. I'll try and remember my pack saw next time I ride there in case the gnomes don't get it before I do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Is Emma too homeless infested to ride? Prefer starting up through there as opposed to parking up on Hwy 9 but concerned lower emma has been "retaken"...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfmtber View Post
    Is Emma too homeless infested to ride? Prefer starting up through there as opposed to parking up on Hwy 9 but concerned lower emma has been "retaken"...
    Not at all. That gathering is mostly down towards the tracks.

Trail Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Two runs this week (3.68 miles @ 8:04 pace Tuesday, 6.3 miles @ 8:03 pace today), and planning on doing a big-ish (30 - 50 miles) mixed-terrain (CX/gravel/whatever) loop con mi hombre Nelson34 sabado (maŮana), then hit up Almaden Valley mini dirt jumps and Calero trails when I visit my sons on ďSondayĒ.
    Nice to hear you're getting that dude back on his bicicleta!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ironspork View Post
    Not at all. That gathering is mostly down towards the tracks.
    Rode there on Wednesday. As said, the trail was fine. River St not so much. Was parked right next to the bus yard, with car unlocked (hatch was open while I was getting out my helmet and bag), and this poor strung-out gal came walking by and let herself in to the passenger seat of the car. Wouldn't come out until she heard I was on the phone with the cops.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    PSA: I was riding campus with a friend this morning and we were getting ready to drop into the "postal" trail. A couple kids on bikes popped up and told us there was a "crazy lady" screaming at them and waving a bottle, then their dads and a couple other guys appeared. They said she was getting aggressive and coming close to them, so they just went back up the trail. Then the lady popped up! She looked "normal"--40ish white chick, not homeless looking. But she was agitated and yelling at us about riding an illegal trail. We decided not to argue with crazy, so we did a few mellow trails, and looped back 30 minutes later and the coast was clear. Be safe out there!
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

Formerly dvo
    Time to get the **** out of Dodge.

Wild Bill leads the way in Ashland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm the problem....

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by ridinHigh View Post
    Nice to hear you're getting that dude back on his bicicleta!
    Weíve been riding the past four or five Saturdays in a row. Heís been bikecommuting for work regularly, but Iím trying to help him remember what recreational cycling is all about. However, plans have changed and it is looking like I am singlespeeding at Demo tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Not nice to call some people "infested". You better than them??? boy!
    what do you call people that are from _______??? bet you got some good old names for them.

mtbr member
    50 miler today from my house through Arastradero, up dirt Alpine, around Russian Ridge and Montebello. Someone destroyed all the jumps that were built on Dirt Alpine.

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    PSA: I was riding campus with a friend this morning and we were getting ready to drop into the "postal" trail. A couple kids on bikes popped up and told us there was a "crazy lady" screaming at them and waving a bottle, then their dads and a couple other guys appeared. They said she was getting aggressive and coming close to them, so they just went back up the trail. Then the lady popped up! She looked "normal"--40ish white chick, not homeless looking. But she was agitated and yelling at us about riding an illegal trail. We decided not to argue with crazy, so we did a few mellow trails, and looped back 30 minutes later and the coast was clear. Be safe out there!
    Hopefully no trail sabatoge...

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    May 2015
    River st. in SC is where the homeless shelter is, so many people concentrated within walking distance. There is a city sanctioned camp along the river but city probably has limited space and rules. It's way worse in some cities, SF, Oakland, SJ and Berkeley.

mtbr member
    Got out and dug a bit last night. Gave myself a reprieve from the pump track and rebuilt a fun jump that the cows destroyed right before the climb back up from the Dragon DH:

June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-40ce22ca-db8c-419f-a8ff-1c13a352869a.jpg
    Made it a nice trail speed gap thatís butter. Fixed up two corners but the one below is high speed and was too flat As the last big turn on the Dragon DH, it needed fixed. So I dug it deeper to let you push on it and not feel like youíre going to tailspin at 20+ mph:
    June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-cd662537-34d1-4da2-a8d1-7ce1858c6e08.jpeg

Rode this morning to test the new stuff (good!) and just get in some miles before it gets hot:

June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-5b5d482b-a3b4-4ac1-b83e-15bfe041e502.jpeg

June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-d2cf420b-40fd-402e-ad08-9f6cdecfb58d.jpeg

My buddy and I moved a big flat rock into position that I plan on adding in to the trail as a nice flat drop. Itís nice to be able to start tricking out the trails without worrying about the cows!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hadn't ridden this one in 5 yrs since CCC demolished the BD connector. Someone is obviously keeping it well groomed but I don't think it's getting ridden much anymore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-img_20200606_131459_01.jpg  

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    JNT was an absolute zoo this morning. Iíve never seen it so busy. Parking at a premium including some offroaders in a sketchy ditch (hope their owners know how to drive those things). Guy finishing up when I was heading out said it was crowded even at 7:30. Came across a lot of hikers, bikers, and climbers (was there a class or clinic at Castle Rock today?) even between the top of JNT and Indian Rock where itís usually pretty quiet. With the poison oak out in force, narrow sections up top, and high user density, my new trackstand skills were tested under duress with potentially serious consequences. And to the shock of no one, trying to keep up with an e-bike can be soul crushing.

Formerly dvo

Dropping in

I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Sweet! Ashland, right? You should stay on that fireroad!
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

mtbr member
    Sweet! Ashland, right? There's a locs trail that starts about 20 seconds down that fireroad!
    Best 60 seconds on the mountain. *That Iíve ridden.

Formerly dvo
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Best 60 seconds on the mountain. *That Iíve ridden.
    Blowing up the spot.

I'm the problem....

Formerly dvo
    Sweet! Ashland, right? You should stay on that fireroad!
    Haha!!! Conditions are amazing, did both options today. Yew!!!!
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Took the daughter on a little ride today, from town out to Wilder and along the bluffs. I had thought we only went 4 miles or so, but I just mapped it and we went over 8. When we hit the bluffs I was concerned the headwind would bother her, but she didn't complain a bit. If anything I think it just made her think we were going faster. Critter tally: 4 horses, 3 dogs, and a peregrine falcon! Successful day.

June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-31703.jpg
    2017 Jamis DragonSlayer Pro
    1995 Trek 930

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Rode demo saturday, it's like disneyland up there. Sawpit is cool and braille always good. I think I'll wait a while to let the crowds die down a little before I go again. unless somebody hits me up and wants to go.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Rode at Demo yesterday on the short-travel (80mm ) singlespeed hardtail. Rode Sawpit then Flow. Place was crowded since everyone and their third stepcousin from Istanbul wanted to ride Sawpit. I saw at least 15 dudes on e-bikes riding the trails.

mtbr member
    Has anyone been riding JMP lately? Is there any point heading there for the afternoon or is it getting too crowded now?

Formerly dvo

Saved the best conditions for last.

I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^^ Oh, man. When you get some moisture (even melted) on those trails, you're stoked!

That probably means the Shasta trails--at least at the lower elevations--are money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Mackenzie View Post
    Has anyone been riding JMP lately? Is there any point heading there for the afternoon or is it getting too crowded now?
    I still ride there...just don't expect to set PR's and ride knowing increase in hiker and new to biking riders...

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Can't complain about my weekend riding ...

Sat met up with mtbnorcal and rode Truckee..
    Hong Kong Fu, Jellypop to Jackass and the 2 runs on Tyrolian

Today hit UC with Rythem Bikes for some laps..dirt was still good but drying and no dust yet...hardly saw anyone on the trails even though hwy 9 parking was full

Here is a new incident...bikers hiking up poop chute as a way to go up as we were coming down through it...smh. Adults and teens around 6 of them all hiking at the same time in the narrows or gathered at the bottom...smh

#miraclejune

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    One of the fattest buzzworms Iíve ever seen. Both my dogs ran from it instantly when it decided to strike up a conversation!

June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-a127af1b-f992-478d-bf46-d76e455e9f69.jpeg
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    50 miler today from my house through Arastradero, up dirt Alpine, around Russian Ridge and Montebello.
    I did something similar on Saturday, here's a stack of photos from the ride...

A rare deserted moment on the top of Black Mountain:

It was pretty cold up there for June!

Nature Trail:

Russian Ridge overflow parking:

Someone destroyed all the jumps that were built on Dirt Alpine.
    I saw three spots that looked like someone had taken a tractor to the jumps. All between Page Mill Rd and Meadow Trail.
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    And keep a heads up for hikers on Cinderella
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    Not nice to call some people "infested". You better than them??? boy!
    what do you call people that are from _______??? bet you got some good old names for them.
    you have no idea who I am or where i'm from... and yes, poor choice of words so apologies for that, but we're not exactly talking about people, for better or for worse, that are taking care of their surroundings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post

Saved the best conditions for last.

That looks epic
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Yesterday at Garin/Dry Creek Regional Park
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-img_0388.jpg  

Ride, Race, Live
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    And keep a heads up for hikers on Cinderella
    This
    Among the many hikers I've seen the worst was a young woman who gave me a dirty look as I went by. I had slowed down and called out ahead.
    I get a dirty look?
    How about you put your 2 rat dogs on a leash so they don't jump under my front wheel and send my flying.
    Has anyone tried posting an illegal sing at the bottom of Cindy "Warning: Hikers not recommended. Down hill mountain bikers are frequent"

Paper or plastic?
    Rode SDF yesterday and it was super crowded (full lot, cars parked on Highland for a mile), though it never felt like it on the trail. Flow is always fun. As a side note, SDF feels like a Tacoma/4-Runner/SC bike get together.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    15.5 mles local. My buddy got his Turbo Levo so we did the full loop at blistering pace. Not sure why the dirt was so good this morning. Had a firm crunchiness that was grippy and unexpected.

June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-9ce0694c-5443-4dd1-ba82-bdf47c74e670.jpeg
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

Paper or plastic?
    Sunday morning around 11, saw an ambulance and firetruck going up Tractor in Soquel Demo. Hope the rider is fine.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Agree about hiker and dog issues at JMP.

If that sign went up then the other group would probably ask for a mph limit sign....smh

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

fc
    Wife's 50th bday so had to shelter in date weekend. Got to eat at a few restaurants for the first time in a while.

Went to the Bixby bridge!!! Went on the 11 mile dirt road and it was pretty scarey.... cause my wife was driving. Then my kid!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-img_0949.jpg  

IPA will save America

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

Went to the Bixby bridge!!!
    Nice! Big Sur has been a total zoo lately. I was in Carmel Highlands over the weekend and the traffic was pretty heavy coming up the coast.

mtbr member
    Bixby Bridge this past weekend for me, too. Forgot how mind blowingly beautiful that stretch from Carmel to the bridge is.
    I didn't drive much past the bridge, but imagine the beauty continues.

Went early morningish, to beat the rush.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Got in 18 (dog) miles at Toro today. It's...different this time of the year! Lots of dry, sketchy corners and blown-out sections. Still lots of fun and lots of wildflowers--for me and the one other guy out there. And the parking is free now, although I tossed in a donation on the way out.
    Last edited by Callender; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Just the usual.
    June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-cobb-corner.jpg

June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-cob-corner2.jpg

mtbr member
    Round 2: Ride / Dig. Straight to PT and back so only 4 miles of riding, but dug for 2.5 hours. Added an ďSĒ and a roller. So close!

It rides pretty good both directions but I am slowly coming to the realization itís not so much of a Pump Track but a flow / jump loop with rollers. Due to the rolling nature of the plateau, it will never be fully pump able without pedaling. Oh well! Still a welcome addition and pretty much all local riders have added it to their loop.

June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-48dad814-99f1-4aa4-80f7-76f01ac442ea.jpg

June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-fa9b7973-fbc5-42c4-b49d-f28fb2e479e8.jpg
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

Up In Smoke
    Pretty quiet in the hills this evening.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Had an awesome loaner bike for the day and a tour guide... Went to make the best of it. Went up to Nevada City and checked out what the place had to offer. Some pretty fun stuff out there and looks like a great place to camp and fish and stuff too!

mtbr member
    5 AM telecons suck, but it helped with getting the Pump Track done. This was a tough stretch of digging as the ground was 100% clay and fractured / cracked. Tough to make a reasonably smooth surface and every inch of the trail was dug. As I mentioned last we discussed the PT, itís not really a pump track. Itís more of a small jump / flow line with a lot of rollers.

Rode up the 2 miles to get to it, then put in the last few rollers with the help of a friend. We rode it both direction a few times. Good stuff and Iím psyched to be able to move on to Sail Hatan!

Iíll make a video of the PT soon, but till then here are some pics:

June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-6d096b33-add1-4057-ba8f-a86840d47d6c.jpg

June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-490efea3-5c4a-4bfa-bdfb-045bd4034628.jpeg

June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-b46ebd88-bad9-41bf-83a1-426a6522333d.jpeg

June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-7ba7b5d3-cbd7-46ca-8d9c-11309b408fc7.jpeg
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Roughster, I gotta hand it to you, I'm amazed at how much trail work you do. Every time I go dig I end up with sore muscles in random places. On Saturday I took my axe to a 1-foot diameter tree that fell across the trail and after chopping three limbs, my thumbs are still aching. Great work you're doing out there. I hope to go ride your trails soon.

mtbr member
    Thanks Scott M! I have always had a passion for creating new routes / trails. Definitely an obsession of mine and my body had gotten used to it over the years! I'll take a 4 hour hour dig session over heavy mining for sport routes in local choss any day, lol! I still think I have impaired kidneys from the hours hanging in a harness.

Oh and I once posted my secret to volume here: The trail never sleeps, why should I?
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    First day I haven't ridden in months. Maybe a night ride later. Spent my playtime today building this little rack for my skateboards.

June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-img_4404.jpg

Thread Killer
    First day I haven't ridden in months. Maybe a night ride later. Spent my playtime today building this little rack for my skateboards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4404.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	352.0 KB 
ID:	1340931
    Is that a Rayne Agent there, second from the bottom?
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksaw87 View Post
    Is that a Rayne Agent there, second from the bottom?
    Great eye! That is a Rayne Renegade.

mtbr member
    Got in a couple quick laps at JMP with MtbSavant. First time on Dissector rear tire liking it a lot....dirt is dry though...

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Stoked on 9 local miles playing tour guide for 4 noobs joined by two local shredders. Smiles and high fives all around

June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-10c922b7-eb77-4ccf-8713-73ec7a7ff7db.jpeg

June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-0c09e7ec-c903-4cb9-9924-9e70fc3ed70e.jpeg

June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-6aef8d45-e2de-48d2-8ba2-cd93c98b82e3.jpeg

June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-f4e1892e-3efe-4418-9dae-9c0b13a54c76.jpg

June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-5b64fa18-da1f-4785-9b17-75a9d307bee4.jpg
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    It was getting low light but like this shot of the Dragon DH:
    June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-img_3701.jpg
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagonger View Post
    Got in a couple quick laps at JMP with MtbSavant. First time on Dissector rear tire liking it a lot....dirt is dry though...

Been waiting for more feedback on that tire vs. tried and true DHRII... worth pulling off the DHR to try the dissector (and save DHR for fall/winter) or just use up the DHR first then grab a dissector.

mtbr member
    The Dissector is significantly lighter and rolls better than the DHRII without giving up much braking traction. Not sure how it will hold up in the wet, but it's now my go to for the summer on my big bike. Hopefully there will be an EXO+ version soon, if there isn't already.

mtbr member
    Dissector wears twice as fast as a DHR or DHF from my experience and observations. At least when riding steep aggressive terrain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    The Dissector is significantly lighter and rolls better than the DHRII without giving up much braking traction. Not sure how it will hold up in the wet, but it's now my go to for the summer on my big bike. Hopefully there will be an EXO+ version soon, if there isn't already.
    According to the Maxxis chart, there are allegedly Exo+ and Double-Downs, but a cursory search on jenson and worldwide only have the normal Exo and Downhill versions.

Used the contact form on their site asking when they'll actually be in the wild.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails June 5 - June 11 get adventuring report-screen-shot-2020-06-12-10.08.25-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shapethings View Post
    According to the Maxxis chart, there are allegedly Exo+ and Double-Downs, but a cursory search on jenson and worldwide only have the normal Exo and Downhill versions.

Used the contact form on their site asking when they'll actually be in the wild.
    That's exactly what I discovered the other day. Can't find them anywhere yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    Thanks... I have a feeling it'll pair well with my Assguy until winter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post
    Been waiting for more feedback on that tire vs. tried and true DHRII... worth pulling off the DHR to try the dissector (and save DHR for fall/winter) or just use up the DHR first then grab a dissector.
    I liked it right away...perfect combo of dhr2 and aggressor ...faster rolling than dhr2,ore braking than aggressor (almost dhr2 like) and more volume at 2.4 vs. 2.5 aggressor.

I was dhr2 then 2 weeks on aggressor 2.5 and now Dissector...

I would get one...

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Exo+ are starting to trickle in...a follower messaged me he got one from Lost Co in WA. They got a couple and quickly sold out.

I have seen maxxgrip available also from
    Performancebike.com

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150